All parent member reviews for The Hunger Games

Parent Written byDeefeistyone March 31, 2012

Why are we pushing violence on our children and making them grow up too fast?

Kids are growing up too fast. Parents who think this movie is okay are the same ones who will be dumbfounded when their daughter is pregnant at 15.
Adult Written byTecFan09 March 31, 2012

Great movie, but mostly for teens and adults.

An incredible and jarring film adaption of the highly popular book series. It was translated onto film very well, with few changes from the book, and it was a great story and had a great message towards what could happen to society. Thats why I think its bologna that some people seem to be saying that it is glorifying violence and desensitizing kids and teens. It is actually very much against it. Hopefully this will be more understood in he Mockingjay film. Anyways it was an amazing film and I think that any hardcore fans of the series and books will enjoy it, and even those who havent read them. However, I do think that it is not appropriate for younger teens and children because the messages are deep and might not be quite understood by the younger folk. But good for older minds who can process what is going on and the message that it is conveying. Overall a wonderful film though with breathtaking scenery and sets, and very smooth and rich acting.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byMaw2 March 31, 2012

Throw this one in the trash.

I cannot believe that movies have come to this. Reminds me of the gladiators in Rome and the blood thirsty royalty enjoying the death and murders and mutilation of the commoners or Christian people in the arena. Have we really devolved or digressed to that? Unbelievable that any rational thinking parent would allow their child to be involved in the book or the movie. The fact that there are some who have compassion for their own is down played by the survivalist instinct at all cost by others. Then to pit children and teens against others of their own age is discussing and barbaric. I am so sick of movies like this encouraging our teens and children to be more involved in such brutality. No wonder there are problems with bullies in school .
Parent Written byS&B's Mom March 31, 2012

I'd take my child again.

I was very ambivalent about taking my 11 year old daughter (hence my going with her rather than a friend's parent). Afterward I felt that the emphasis that many have put on the violence is extreme; the violence was not as graphic as I had envisioned and much was left up to the imagination. Parents MUST know the plot of the movie/book and decide if that is appropriate for their child. That will determine the decision of whether your child should see the movie or not.The characters are solid, and emphasis is placed on good role models. Based upon my childs maturity, it was fine for her to see and we'll probably watch it again.
Adult Written byTripleR March 29, 2012

Awesome and Intense

First, I have to say I'm 18 and I've read the books and loved them. The movie was SO close to the book that I was thoroughly impressed! I went to see it with my 14 yr old friend, 20 yr. old brother and 15 yr. old brother. My friend was in a little shock at some scary and violent parts. I loved the movie :) Katniss and Peeta are great role models. Katniss because she took responsibility of her family (though she is a little disrespectful to her mom sometimes) and takes Prim's place. Doesn't want to kill but obviously, what would you do in a situation like that??? Peeta was good because he was constantly looking out for Katniss and didn't want to fight - though at one point it makes it seem like he does. WARNINGS: violence: blood splatters and you see gashes and blood smears. Rue is stabbed and Katniss has a knife cut her on her forehead. But most of the gore is offscreen. Drinking: Haymitch - the mentor - is usually drunk and it shows him pouring his drinks and drinking from a flask often. Language: there are a few "bad words" such as D*mn, H*ll, etc. Not exessive though. And at a couple of points you almost appreciate it cuz you would've said the same thing haha Sex: Katniss sleeps with/on Peeta in the cave but they don't do anything. Might wanna discuss with kids that that's innappropriate, even though they didn't "do" the deed. They did kiss two or three times, and it was a little heated at one point but it wasn't long and drawn out to make you uncomfortable. Scary: yes, it can be pretty intense at points. With Cato, the dogs, the girl with the knives - she almost kills Katniss - and plenty other parts. Not for the weak of heart -- or stomach haha
Adult Written byTony632 March 29, 2012

The Hunger Games

Parent Written byPioneer Librarian March 26, 2012

Read the book first.

I think reading the book first is a must, but I'm a middle school librarian, so I would always recommend that. For me this is a book that I would give to eighth graders. As a mom of a fifth grader, I told her to wait till she was in seventh grade. Lots of violence in the book and movie.
Parent of a 14 and 19 year old Written byheyz32 March 26, 2012

seen it before ( a long time ago )

seems to me like another rehash of past movies. I remember arnold schwartzeneger made a move called the running man which along the same lines. except that one only involved a small set of adult fighting / competing to the death. even book writers are running out of ideas.
Adult Written bycoloradobutterfly March 25, 2012

I Was Expecting Much Worse

I drew the short straw to take the kids to this movie. I think this is the kind of movie that you can safely say to your kids "if all your friends were jumping off a bridge into shark infested waters would you want to go too?" It was not as violent as I was anticipating however there were some greusome parts. Sadly, it's the kind of movie that most kids won't get that freaked out about because they've already seen so many other similar movies and video games. I would not recommend at all if they have not already read the book. The main character is motivated to protect her younger sister and that part is touching. But I find the premise of the whole series disturbing.
Parent Written byBethKrane March 25, 2012

A tough leap of trust

The USA really doesn't hesitate to allow violence to project into the minds of our youth. Based on that I'd say even as young as 13 can handle this movie, but have we really approached the issue of violence and our youth wisely? With that in mind, I highly encourage the parent to see the movie with their teenager and do not take younger siblings. Though toned down greatly from the book there is still the fact that teens are killing teens over a government controlled reality show to keep the citizens from rising up. It's a difficult concept with many difficult, heart wrenching decisions. From starvation to black market to simple murder for one's right to live. Would I see it again? Probably. I just suggest you know your kid and be prepared to answer tough questions not only for them, but for yourself. And unless you see a positive message in death, government control through starvation and murder of friends/family members, there is nothing positive other than the care and consideration that author gives to Katniss, Peeta, and their blossoming relationship.
Parent Written byBOb marts March 23, 2012

Great movie for 12 and over

Let them see the movie every one is talking about!
Parent Written bykbarchery12h February 7, 2015

Sometimes disturbing, but a great movie

This was one of the best films I've seen in a long time. I don't even know why I liked it so much, I just did. Violence is pretty strong, but the camera quickly cuts away. There is a pretty brutal blood bath, with images of blood splattering and showing clips of the dead. Mutated wasps attack a girl, and she is shown and looks pretty disturbing. A lovable character dies which greatly affects Katniss. Characters are shot, speared, and crushed to death. Language wasn't an issue at all, I'm pretty sure the worst it gets is 'damn' A couple kisses, nothing much. This movie does have pretty good messages, the main one revolving around rebelling against something that's wrong. It may be violent, but it has a point. Leave the young home.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byedklat August 27, 2014

Parent of a 2 year old Written bynoelles August 20, 2014

Great!

Great for Tweens, teens, AND adults! Very entertaining for the whole family.
Educator and Parent Written bycoolone April 4, 2014

remember its a book

It bugs me when people say this is bad and inappropriate because for one thing it isn't about kids "killing eachother to win" and clearly if you think that you haven't read the book and have issues. It it provokes your family, please remember how the author came up with it... she was watching survivor my lord.
Educator Written byfilmmaster93 March 23, 2014

Educator and Parent Written byparentteacher2 January 14, 2014

Intense violence, appropriate with guidance only

Adult Written byMillie Hatton December 20, 2013

Stop babying your kids!

I understand that some kids can handle certain things and others can't. But you really need to stop babying your children. I think 10+ can read the books and yes, the movie is incredibly violent. But, it's not much different from what happens on the news. If your child is easily influenced by violent films then give this one a miss but sooner or later, they're going to have to learn that not everything is rainbows and butterflies. Katniss and Gale are seen sneaking into the woods (illegal) to hunt. She also shows the importance of family by volunteering to take her sister's place in the games. She endures hardships in the arena and uses knowledge and makes very smart decisions. Though she is flawed, she is nothing less than an amazing role model. Yes, the scenes can be graphic and bloody but the movie shows her reluctance to kill and she isn't thrilled by the fact of shooting someone. She depicts the bonds of friendship when she attempts to save Rue and covers her with flowers at her death. There are a couple of passionate kisses but nothing over the top. Haymitch appears drunk multiple times but he sobers up a bit towards the end. Cinna is one of my favourite characters, he helps Katniss make an impression and gives her confidence boosts throughout. Language isn't a major issue. I understand that it can be traumatising so know your child but I showed my 12 year old sister this and she was fine, don't overprotect your children.
Parent Written bySam Donder December 9, 2013

The Hunger games is violent, brilliant, and brings up important themes

The Hunger Games is an off-the charts good movie and many kids that read the books will want to watch the movie, but due to the violence it is a better choice for teens. There is some blood and lots of deaths almost always involving teens. Contrary to some parents opinion this movie ISN'T just about teens killing each other, but is about class warfare and over powerful governments. The movie shows life in district twelve and in the capital to show the corrupt government in Panem. Many of these underling themes will go over younger teens heads though. Katniss is a very strong and caring individual and she is against the idea of having to kill kids. Overall this is a great movie with some great topics to talk about with your kids.
Parent Written byrachael88 November 24, 2013

Watch The Hunger Games Catching Fire at moviesatyou dot com

Great movie, I really enjoyed watching it. FYI, I was able to watch The Hunger Games Catching Fire for free at moviesatyou dot com