All member reviews for The Hunger Games

Kid, 11 years old April 3, 2012

Loved it!

I think it was a great movie! No terriable language or sexual stuff. I'm only 11 years old and the violence didn't really scare me. I went to see it with a couple of my aunts (20, 23, 18, 27, 25) my mom was fine with me seeing it because i'm mature for my age. I don't get frightened easily so the violence wasn't that bad for me. My step-dad watches alot of violent movies. My mom watches things wit language so i was prepared for anything (which there barely was). All and all i loved it I think if your child is mature enough let them see it. And if your uncomfotable with the plot. Look at todays new is it really much different? Shooting hodded kids with skittles cause the look 'suspicious?'.
Teen, 14 years old Written byrebma97 March 24, 2012

Faithful Adaption of The Book

My friends and I went to watch this on the premiere date. It was very good and faithful to the boo. Some things they took out seemed important to me and you'd have to read the book to understand some things. Also, the camera angle is very shaky during the action scenes, making it hard to see. But overall it was a very good film. Jennifer Lawrence is an amazing actress and everyone else is pretty good, too. Violence: This book is about 24 teens forced to kill each other. There's spearing, stabbing, punching, etc. Also, there's a very poor district that starves because of its conditions. But it's not as bloody as the book described. Sex: Some kissing, not as much in the book. Language: More than in the book. A few uses of "d-mn", "h-ll". Drinking/Drugs/Smoking: Haymitch is a drunk and is seen drinking, but not as much in the book. Messages: This movie brings up issues like freedom and justice. It's a great disscussion-worthy movie.
Kid, 12 years old March 23, 2012

May the odds be ever in your favor...

When the film began at midnight on the 23rd, my expectations were very high. I had been counting the days until the movie premiered since the very first trailer came out. To my delight, my expectations were met. The film had a very raw feel to it- no slow-mo pans or anything funky; I felt like I was in the film. The acting in the film was FABULOUS- Jennifer Lawrence portrayed Katniss perfectly. Now... is it appropriate? The whole central plot line of the film is very dark, horrible and hard to grasp for young children. Children slaughter each other in the second half of the film (but the camera moves around so rapidly you can barely see the stabbing or poisoning or flames), and some of them are delighted after a kill. Also, Suzanne Collins wrote the book so people would be MORE sensitive about how insane our American media is. We weren't supposed to ENJOY watching children murder one another. It was supposed to disgust us. Katniss and Peeta share a somewhat passionate kiss. There is some mild language (d*mn is used a few times), and one character almost always has a drink in his hands. Ultimately, it's a no go for kids under 11 who haven't read the books. I personally think that the movie lived up to the book, the casting was brilliant, and is a must-see for teens.
Kid, 12 years old March 23, 2012

Good Movie but needs to be explained

Be Careful to not scare them into having nightmares, explain it is a movie and they press a butten and their is fake blood. Tell them drinking is not ok to do all of the time. Make sure the languge is not ok for them to use at all. I am a kid. I Cant drink dont want to. I do use the lanuage some time but only what the hell and that sort of stuff not the A word or B word or anything like that
Kid, 11 years old March 23, 2012

This is fine!

This is fine for anyone 10ish or 11 I think this movie was really good. And I highly recommend it! Sure there is some violence and killing but rare blood! I didn't need to look away at all. Have your kids seen Harry Potter? OK, then they can see this! People are making a huge deal about the "Violence." Yes there is some, but trust me in that Harry Potter is worse.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydragongleem March 23, 2012

just as good as book!

THe movie was overal good if you read the books then it should uphold the possitivity to its name. The casting was amazing most of the people in it was pritty dead on with what I thought they would look like. but there was some flaws to me, first is that at the start of the movie the cammra was a bit shakey and blerry it just seemed unprofetional for a hollywood movie. also if you have not read the books it might be hard to follow. You might find yourself lost or unsure what is happening or even infurre sometiong that was not there. also just to make it more interesting for the veiwer they added swearing to it, not that it dint inhance the overall film with its humer but i felt as if Collens did not swear in the book on purpose. OVERALL the film was excalent way worth the time. again some things may not make sence to you and they seem to leave out importing infomation if you have read the book. to me Peeta is a posotive role modle on the roof of the capital. also there is some violence but it was only miner the first scene in the games was propaply the most violent along with the last scene with Cato. They never really showed any of the actual killings in any scene but the first scene in the games. Also for refence someone does get malled by bees all over the place. so know your child and and remember MAY THE ODDS BE FOREVER IN YOUR FAVOR!
Teen, 16 years old Written bymcfeather2219 March 23, 2012

HUNGER GAMES

Yes this movie has several violent messages behind it and thats why its rated pg-13. But like the books the movie has many good points to it. Such as the fact that its basically reality TV and that one day we could be this society because that is where our world is headed. And that is what this movie is trying to show. So yes this movie does have some pretty awful parts but for the most part all of the fighting scenes and the blood and death happen off screen so most of what you do see is the dead bodies and some blood. If your child is going to see this movie if thier over 13 they should be fine just know that yes there is blood and if they have a week stomach or get scared easily this isnt the movie for them. But most people should be fine in fact tomarrow Im seeing it again with my 10 year old sister who I have warned about the blood and have talked to her and said that if at any time she needs to leave we can go. However she is mature for her age and for most 10 year olds I wouldnt recommend this movie. They can wait a few years then they can (hopefully) see all three movies in a row
Teen, 13 years old Written bypepsicola14 March 23, 2012

All right...everyone CALM DOWN!!

Geez, guys! I am reading reviews that totally are wrong!! The person who said threr are "arrows going into kids' eyes" and "toenails getting ripped off" must have seen a completly different movie then I did! It is violent. It is a metephor. If you go to this movie and all you can get is it is telling us to go out and kill someone, you are not paying attention and clearly are prejudice. The LAST thing this movie does is tell you to go kill someone. There are tragic deaths, and they are dealt with as tragidies. Please, before you decide, remember that not everyone on this site is totally true. Remember to get the REAL fact first.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJacobTheGreat2 March 23, 2012

Scenes are way to fast

There is some minor language, such as d--- and hell. The only sexy stuff is Katniss cuddling and kissing Peeta. The violence is going to be the biggest problem. Don't forget, the annual event known as The Hunger Games is kids 12-18 years of age being forced to kill each other. There is scenes like Rue getting hit in the stomach by the Spear, a kid on "career" getting his necked cracked by an angry Cato. My mom had to look down at some of the stuff. Now for quality. This movie was a major disappointment. Each scene only last a few seconds. They tried to cram way to many scenes in the movie, and that ended up being a major fatal flaw that killed the movie. 1 minute you got Prim crying in a dream, and in the blink of an eye she's at the Capitol prepping for the games. I highly recommend you read the book before watching the movie, because if you don't, you wont really know what's going on. They explain very little about what happened. District 13 wasn't even mentioned, the only evidence of Katniss's mom's depression is Katniss telling her she can't clock out. The only reason why it's any good is the fact that it's The Hunger Games, and they kept closer to the story than most movies. At least they didn't do what the Percy Jackson guys did, which was completely rewriting the story. What they should of done that could have saved the movie was do what the creator's of the Harry Potter and Twilight movies did. Do part 1 and part 2. Message to you "Not For Kids People": If it makes you happy, the districts hate the games ever since it was made, and in the later story, they rebelled against the Capital for The Hunger Games and it's abuse. It even shows an uprising in District 11.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLunaLovegood13 March 23, 2012

"Hunger Games" Leaves You Hungry For More

"The Hunger Games" was very good. Most of the violence is implied, much of it is unseen until the dead body is shown. Awful cimematography- it's made to hide the violence but it ends up just giving the viewer a headache. Pretty faithful to the book, nothing major really changed.
Teen, 15 years old Written byElodye010 March 23, 2012

AWESOME!

I loved all the books and so I was super excited for the movie and it lived up to all the hype! AWESOME!
Teen, 13 years old Written byGabix13 December 12, 2012

Breathtaking

Parents who think this films appaling please just read this top section. everybody (parents) saying this film is awful and full of violence, I bet you havent read the books, because I saw the film and though its was pretty awful, then I read the books and its about much much more than violence. In the book it looks at relationship dynamics between Katniss and her mother and how she feels after the death of her father and her absent mother who neglected her and her sister. It looks at trust issuses that Katniss has had since all of this and how she cant trust anybody, about communication and lack of it, how she doesnt want anbodys 'charity' and she thinks she can look after herself and how damages she is. It shows dynamics between her and Prim and how she would do anything to protect her which is evident as she took her place. Its about standing for whats right and defiance and knowing your rights and how she has to do anything and will to survive in the arena wether it be lying to those who trust her or destroying someone elses stuff, its about strategy, survival, 'romance' and basically what she has to do to survive in the world she lives in. There so much depth and so many layers, the lies, the truth the defiance the survival, death and stratergy. when you look at it, the death is only a small part in it and its showing what has to be done for freedom to win. In interviews its also revealed the books were about current events in poverty and undeveloped countries and more pecificaly iraq and how the majorty of what she talks about in the books, in a different context is going on in the world around us today, it raises awarness and its showing what has to be done to survive in this world, yeah its violent but its much much more... certainly not appaling, if you want appaling why dont you look at celebrities who are all for charitys in nambia etc. yet spend millions latering there country to shoot films, leaving enviromental damage and eugghhhh... they couldve donated that money to charity but noooo. So i think a film thats based on truth and currrent affairs that yeah dramatises but also raises awarness of the subject should be the lat thing your worrying about. Now with that said... Its a great film, although from the first minutes of the films its evident that children willl be being killed and obvious if youve read the books, still some of the killings, especially Rues and for some Cloves are upsetting, and teens being killed isnt something other teens will like watching, but there is only a little screen time that focuses on the death. The rest of the film is great, its sends positive messages such as never give up, dont conform to madness etc. Katniss is also an amazing role model as she would do anything to protect her friends and family and she wont be messed around. In the film there isnt so much speculation about the capitol and how prestigious they are as in the book but its still evident its all about money. This has got to be the best film ive seen in years, Katniss's blunt nonchalant way of speaking will make you laugh, Rues death and the films depths will make you cry, Peter and Katniss will make you smile and Cato will make you gasp, its a film that leaves you on the edge of your seat the entire time. I recommend this to action lovers and adventure seekers or anybody, Amazing film!!! Its breathtaking.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovieguy97 April 27, 2012

Go See It!

Teen, 15 years old Written bypatilly100 April 8, 2012

The Hunger Games - Hungering for More!

I loved this movie, but was still pretty freaked out right before The Hunger Games started. The plot is awesome, but the violence is really there. Thankfully, when it first starts, scenes of blood are rapidly shown, almost instantly going on to the next thing. There is a point before where a teen is shown beating someone with a brick on the small-ish television, and blood is shown on it. This movie makes you glued to the edge of your seat and the screen itself. Over-all I'd say it is a very good movie, but don't take younger kids to see it, or they may be frightened.
Teen, 13 years old Written byImmortalGirl April 7, 2012

Unbelievable!!!

I Saw The Movie The Day It Came Out And It Had To Be The Best Movie I've Ever Seen My Entire Life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Loved It So So Much And I Think 10 Year Olds Can Handle It! I Think Its Okay For Any Age If Their Parents Trust Their Kids And Think That They're Responsible!! I Totally Loved It!
Kid, 12 years old April 6, 2012

love it!

great movie. sad. lots of bad language
Kid, 10 years old April 5, 2012

Such a good movie!

I love this movie! I have read the books 3 times and the movie is just as good. The only thing I would mention to parents is that it is extremely violent.
Teen, 13 years old Written byloveubleme April 3, 2012

Amazing Movie

WOW! Amazing movie! I don't really care for the killing that is going on most of the time but it has a great message to it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytayswift123 March 31, 2012

Great movie!

I am an extreme fanatic of The Hunger Games books and I believe this movie lived up to its expectations.The movie was not as violent as the book,but it was still violent.Also Haymitch is constantly drunk throughout the movie.Katniss is a great role model because of the way she volunteers for her sister at the reaping.The Hunger Games is a great movie and I cannot wait until Catching Fire comes out next November!
Teen, 14 years old Written bycatluva4eva March 31, 2012

BEST MOVIE EVER!

THIS MOVIE WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved the movie and the books were great! They were both very entertaining. In some ways the book and movie send a good message to readers like telling people to never give up despite the odds. Katniss is a very good role model in the way that after her father dies she carries on and supports her family even more than her mother. This shows strong self confidence and encourages independence among younger readers and viewers (but do NOT try any stunts at home!!!) There is a lot of violence so parents... get ready for nightmares. There is a lot of blood but dead bodies and intestines and other organs are never shown. A dead girl who had been repeatedly stung by poisonous wasps is shown. One character by the name of Haymitch drinks constantly or is drunk throughout most of the film and story. Other than that the movie was very exciting and a brilliant interpretation of the book.