All member reviews for The Hunger Games

Intense adaptation is violent, thought-provoking for teens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byStylish_Cat April 8, 2015

Fantastic Movie!

The Hunger Games is GREAT! It doesn't have much gore, though there are a few scenes with people stabbing each other with knifes and spears, and there is quite a lot of blood. There is a part where these modified dog things (called mutations) eat someone up. It doesn't show anything, but you can hear the sound of them being eaten. Hope it helped! ;)
Teen, 13 years old Written byfreakingbooknerd April 5, 2015

Love this movie

I love this book and they did a good job with the movie, some scenes have blood and death and most people get freaked out that it's kids killing kids, but the whole point of the series is katniss trying to stop it. Just know your kid before you let them watch it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTeamGale101 April 5, 2015

Really Good Movie!

I really don't think it's inappropriate for mature children, and certainly not for teens. Sure, it may be a little bit scary at some times. But, the movies aim is not to scare, so it doesn't dwell on these scenes. It's really good, and I think EVERYONE 11 and up should see it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byyont_fabnegation March 27, 2015

I watched The Hunger Games when I was 11 and I absolutely loved it! If you love a futuristic, dystopian thriller like me, this is the movie for you. It should be okay for 12+. I'm not going to lie, this movie is very violent and intense, especially when the hunger games first start. The hunger games is a competition to the death, so of course there is a lot of...well, killing. With knives, axes, bow and arrows, and other natural causes beyond the competitors' control. As you can imagine, this movie gets really intense and scary at some points. But there are also many positive messages and role models crammed in too. This movie is really great and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Teen, 13 years old Written bystentimax March 20, 2015

Can be disturbing to some but really good movie.

This movie contains many scenes of people being shot in the heart by a bow-and-arrow and it has occasional kissing scenes (once really slobbery!) I have seen it and I think that anyone under the age of 13/12 will find this movie very disturbing.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylangleyfaith55 March 15, 2015

awesome

Its great for teens but has a lot of killing and violence, there are some drinking, very little swearing, and 1 kiss.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 March 2, 2015

Jennifer Lawrence gave a convincing performance in this dark,violent film.

The Hunger Games was entertaining. The cast really did well. I think I like Woody Harrelson as Haymitch, Elizabeth Banks as Effie, Liam Hemsworth as Gale and Stanley Tucci as Casear the most. Oh, the flaming dress was pretty cool. During The Hunger Games sequences, there is a lot of shaky camera, so for the sensitive people beware.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGecko772 February 17, 2015

One of the best books/movies ever!

I have said 10 and up because my younger brother first watched it when he was 9 and he loves it almost as much as me. He is quite mature for his age though. The concept of violence is very high but the actual violence isn't too graphic. My brother doesn't really understand the concept of corrupt government though so if young children do watch it, it might have to be explained!
Kid, 11 years old February 11, 2015

The Hunger Games

The Film Is Good However Its Plot Is About a game which is put on tv where teens kill each other despite the plot it's not promoted and it shows kids the skills to survive violence includes stabbings and arrows there is also threat from menacing characters and fire and wolfs however Katniss is a good role model despite her killing a few characters she kills them in more humane ways like setting up traps and only kills bully's and befriends a nicer characters it shows how you should stand up for what's right but it's not for kids due to its violence and themes.
Parent Written bykbarchery12h February 7, 2015

Sometimes disturbing, but a great movie

This was one of the best films I've seen in a long time. I don't even know why I liked it so much, I just did. Violence is pretty strong, but the camera quickly cuts away. There is a pretty brutal blood bath, with images of blood splattering and showing clips of the dead. Mutated wasps attack a girl, and she is shown and looks pretty disturbing. A lovable character dies which greatly affects Katniss. Characters are shot, speared, and crushed to death. Language wasn't an issue at all, I'm pretty sure the worst it gets is 'damn' A couple kisses, nothing much. This movie does have pretty good messages, the main one revolving around rebelling against something that's wrong. It may be violent, but it has a point. Leave the young home.
Teen, 16 years old Written byNeonSprinkles February 2, 2015

Pretty Disappointing....

Actually, I was extremely exited to see the movie after reading the book, and I was pretty disappointed. It was kind of good, and the violence was nowhere near graphic ( most of the killings were off-screen, like the worst one in the book, Cato's death) but it was missing key elements, like action, to make it great.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycrazycoolbff January 18, 2015

Iffy for kids under 13.

I don't really think this movie is good for kids under 13, because it can get scary! And It even gave me a nightmare the night I watched it!
Teen, 15 years old Written byLiviLux01 January 18, 2015

Great for teens but very violent

A movie like this has everything a teen could want. Action, Romance and hints of Comedy. Although it is a really great movie it depends on the level of goriness you or your child can deal with.
Teen, 17 years old Written bytarekj January 16, 2015

I am just doing this for fun my review is fake
Teen, 13 years old Written byJenniferamkarlsson January 15, 2015

Favorite movie

This is one of my favorite movies, and even though it's not really as epic as the book, it's still amazing. The movie is a bit violent, though I saw it when I was about 10, and I had no issues with it. You do see someone being hit to death with a brick: through a tv, it is a uncomfortable scene but it's not really cringe worthy and you only see a bit of blood on brick and the boys head. You also see a few dead bodies, but it's not anything that would bother a mature 11 year old. I wrote that a eleven year old could watch this; and it's probably true, but I think the problem is that they wouldn't really understand the message of the movie.
Kid, 11 years old January 11, 2015

Depends what you find violent

Its a great movie but the story sort of dark its about killing others to survive there is blood and lots of injuries but it's also about love and how Katniss sacrifices herself for her sister
Kid, 11 years old January 11, 2015

super movie but too violent

the hunger games has been loved by all books and movies and although its an engaging interesting action movie it contains lots of serious violence that should not be seen by any kid. i recommend definite parental guidence off any age . DO NOT LET KIDS 11 AND UNDER SEE tHIS MOVIE
Educator and Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written bylizo1 January 11, 2015

I don't see what all the fuss is about

The hunger games is completely fine. The hero is a woman who isn't over sexualised and isn't just interested in boys. There are scenes of rebellion which has good sides and bad sides it shows that they are not thinking that the killing is right. The only thing i don't approve of is Hemich is an alcoholic.
Kid, 11 years old January 10, 2015

Awesome

This is one of my favorite movies ever! I think Suzanne Collins did a really really great job creating the character of Katniss Everdeen. I think the movie creators did an excellent job creating this dystopian action-filled love story. I also think they did a really great job portraying the personalities of the characters such as Katniss' stubbornness, and Effie's personality. They recreated moments in the hunger games perfectly, and Rue's death was touching and sad, but beautiful. If you haven't seen or read the hunger games, you definitely should. It is really great.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNorthturn January 7, 2015

Overall great

The basic idea of the book is thrilling. The level of isolation the districts feel shows the emotions perfectly depending on the characters socio-economic standing. The plot was not dull a little predictable but not dull. The characters can be tiresome at certain point but are generally likeable.