All member reviews for The Hunger Games

Intense adaptation is violent, thought-provoking for teens.

Teen, 17 years old Written bydanny 7000 February 7, 2016

the Hunger games is a amazing movie but its not for little kids

i think the Hunger games is a amazing movie but its not for little kids because its very vilonte and disturbing kattnas tries to stab her mentor in the hand with a knife and lots of people get killed in the arena theirs a very sad death scene where a little girl dies by getting stabbed in the chest with a arrow people snap other peoples necks and theirs lots of blood kattnas and pita cut their legs very bad and people are seen with lots of blood all over their face and chest and katnass and pitas mentor is a drunk with that being said i dont reccomend the Hunger games for anybody under the age of 14
Parent Written byUKMumof2 February 6, 2016

Talking point

I'm a Hunger games fan, having read all three books and seen the films- including this one several times. I felt that I wanted to share my love for this thought provoking trilogy and admiration of Katniss with my 8 yr old - being sick of vacuous bubblegum TV. My daughter enjoyed the film and 'got' most of it- asking relevant questions. But I did see the violence in a different light watching with her, and I realised just how much of a step up this was. With most of her viewing up to now being 'what you see is what you get' spoonfooding kids what to think and feel - I realised just how much thought the film needs and relies on your own moral compass to form conclusions. However I still feel it was not harmful to her. I'm glad we watched together at home so we could talk it through and I could explain concepts like rioting and political uprising. The violence was shocking but not as desensitising as watching the news these days.
Kid, 9 years old January 31, 2016

Depends on the child

It depends on the kid... if your child can handle a lot of suspense, violence and deaths it's a grate movie for almost any aged kid. If your kid can't handle suspense, violence and deaths it's probably not such a good movie for them. But overall it's the BEST movie ever!
Teen, 13 years old Written byi'mbeautiful January 27, 2016

stunning and excellent

Catchy and good enetertainment
Kid, 11 years old January 26, 2016

Intense, but has a positive role model!

The movie adaptation of the book was very awesome! It was a little more gory, but during a scene were an older child snaps the necks of another child, they censored out most of the scene by cutting to the main characters horrified reaction. The movie has also has an event called the "Cornucopia Bloodbath", were children bludgeon each other with weapons like Swords, Kukris, Knifes, Machete's, axes, and Bows. This part of the movie shows clips of a teenager slaying another boy with a Kukri and repeatedly stabbing him in the chest and another clip of a boy slashing another girl in the head. However, there is a main character who shows confidence, and she also teaches the message to push yourself forward and go against the norm and rebel.
Kid, 12 years old January 21, 2016

One of the best movies, little too violent though, good messages

There is almost non stop violence, people screaming from dangerous/painful bee stings, some blood, there is a sad moment. However there is a lot of good role models and good messages about teamwork, selflessness, and helping others.
Kid, 11 years old January 3, 2016

Great movie!

I understand that the book is bloody and violent but the movie has very little. Not puddles like the book had. as for the killing that's where the age comes in. 12 year olds are very mature and can handle it. Although it is shown with the Capitol drinking and their mentor is a fall down drunk there is not too much drinking in this movie. There are a few kisses and one is very passionate but not too much.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAC7 January 2, 2016
Kid, 10 years old December 17, 2015

Very entertaining.

Appropriate for kids 10 and up. A lot of my friends who have seen the movie are my age, even younger. They all said it was a bit bloody and visceral, but overall appropriate, but I would say only if you've read the book. I have read all three, and can say that the movie is overall less graphic than the book, some gruesome deaths toned down, but it does seem more real. SPOILER ALERT! The last scene, when Cato (the final tribute) is choking Peeta, is the most disturbing because blood is pouring down from his mouth, and he's monologuing, but with a tortured voice. So yeah, 10 and up.
Educator Written byfv224970 December 14, 2015

The Hunger Games

in North America, the Capital of Panem maintains there was 12 districts by forcing each to select a boy and a girl, called Tributes, to compete in a nationally televised event called the Hunger Games, Every citizen must watch as the people fight to the death until only one of the player survive. District 12 Tribute Katniss Everdeen has little to rely on, other than her hunting teach and sharp instincts, in an arena where she must weigh survival against love. so instead of one to of them survive
Adult Written byILikeReadingBooks November 27, 2015

Good Movie

This was a good movie. I read all the books, but just watched the first movie. It was really good. Even though I think there was too much swearing, (there was none in the book) and they changed a few small things, (nothing major for me) the book was way more violent. But then again, if the movie was exactly like the book, it would be rated R! All in all a very good movie, even though I would suggest it for older people for violent`s sake. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsabellaLovesDance13 November 22, 2015

The Hunger Games

This movie has been a big hit! I reccomend children who are more mature that others to watch this movie. In my school many people in 4th grade were reading the book, which is much more violent that the movie. This movie shows stressful survival situations with some violent scenes.
Kid, 11 years old November 18, 2015

Such a good story!

The hunger games is a movie (based off the book of course) about a girl named Katniss who is forced to play in the hunger games in which children fight to the death. Most of the violence isn't too bloody, but you can still see children being shot, stabbed and more. There is a little romance but nothing bad.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybenkitching13 November 16, 2015

The Hunger Games

Why The Hunger Games isn't simply "Teens V.S Teens Warfare". •The protagonist takes no pleasure in killing and, along with many others, plots to overthrow the party responsible for the teen's situation.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMitten2002 November 12, 2015

READ THIS OVERANXIOUS PARENTS!!!!

Hunger games is a fantastic movie, although, before you take your kid to see it I recommend you do these things 1: Read all 3 books, your kid too, 2: Realize the the message is demoting killing, not promoting it 3: Remember that all deaths are sped up
Teen, 13 years old Written byEmma5578 November 11, 2015

The Hunger games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is about 24 teenagers that have to go into a cornucopia and fight to stay alive. They have to kill one another until there is only one person left standing. I think that The Hunger Games is a really good book. I enjoy this book because of its action and how they make the movie and book believable. The book does have a lot of violence though, so if you don’t like violence I wouldn’t recommend it. Suzanne Collins also uses a lot of detail in the book, for example the deaths in the book are described really well and can make you feel emotional, but the end just stops. Suzanne does this because when it stops you want to read more so you will then read the second book to find out what happens next. Well that’s what I did! I rate this book a 7 out of ten and I recommend this book to people aged 12+.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKittniss November 5, 2015

The best

I have to say this is one of the best movies I've seen, but there is some fighting and a lot of deaths. (Spoilers) there is one part when one of the characters (Glimmer) gets attacted by killer bees, also another character (Clove) gets their neck broken by getting thrown against the cornucopia. But overall the movie is good for ages 10 and up. Katniss Everdeen is a really good role model for younger girls. There are a few swears like damn, a good amount of drinking, and a few kisses (nothing to serious. If you are parent and wondering if you should let you child watch this movie have your kid(s) read the book.
Kid, 12 years old October 31, 2015

Bets movie ever

Scary idea but a beautiful story full of violence and rebellion
Teen, 13 years old Written byBookbubbles October 27, 2015

Great movie - not very violent

Some violent bits, some swear words and some passionate kissing. It's fine.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTV man 13245768 October 18, 2015

SUPER GOOD ACTION FILM

This movie interested me a lot. There was so much action. Some scenes were disturbing like, when a girl died because of bees stinging her, or when the little girl died from a bow and arrow. That part was so depressing. At the end of the movie Peta and Katniss are chased by lions. When they find a place that they could be safe, there is also another man there. The man grabs Peta and threatens to kill him. Katniss throws the bow and arrow at the man and he falls to the ground where all the tigers are. They eat him and they do show it. There is also explosions in this movie. After the little girl dies, in the real world there is a fight. Plenty of people die so you might not want your kids to watch that part. There is some kissing scenes but that's all you are going to get. The language not strong including the words hell, damn, and oh my god. There is this guy names Haymitch who gets drunk at the beginning of the movie. Later in the movie he stops drinking. There is also a scene where people are eating and there is some alcohol beverages. They drink the beverages but they do not get drunk. Teens age 14 and up could watch this movie but I would not recommend anybody younger.