Intense adaptation is violent, thought-provoking for teens.

Kid, 12 years old February 19, 2016

For every concerned parent!

Well this movie is actually less violent than the book so if you let your kids read the book, I'm surprised that you think this is too violent. Although I understand that this is a movie and that's a book, big difference right? My own mom said she didn't like the movie, and now that I read the parent reviews I guess she has a point. But I can be very sure that your kid has seen worse movies than this. The matter to this movie is just to think about it. Can your child see this?
Kid, 12 years old October 31, 2015

Bets movie ever

Scary idea but a beautiful story full of violence and rebellion
Teen, 13 years old Written byerogers July 14, 2015
Kid, 12 years old July 13, 2015

Great movie, lot's of violence

After watching this movie, I noticed that it wasn't that different from the book. There was plenty of violence and blood, but you should be expecting it considering of the summary or the front cover. Now, there wasn't any sexual scenes, only a few kisses. The main character, Katniss Everdeen, showed that she was a strong character and fought for her sister. There was no poor choices made by her as well. One thing I did find inappropriate was District 12's mentor, Haymitch Abernathy. Most of the movie, it was shown that he was drunk. Overall, 14 and up should be a good age because of all the violence.
Kid, 11 years old July 3, 2015

Popular sci fi has intense plot and yucky moments

The plot of the film is very intense because innocent people are getting thrown into an arena were only one survives. There are some great messages in this film and role models but most of it is dark, sad and scary. The main characters include a girl trying to save her sister and get back to her family, a boy who has a big crush on the main character, an alcoholic who is supposed to be their mentor and a ruler of all the world who wants to try and kill the contestants in the most brutal way possible. In the arena there is some iffy stuff including a guy getting eaten by killer beasts, screams, a girl who has eaten poisoned berries, a twelve year old girl has a spear thrown into her which leads to her death and it causes an outrage at her district and also a girl stung to death by killer bees you can see her face stung for a couple of seconds. Minimal scenes that are very intense, depends on your kid.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykitty47 June 3, 2015

Amazing movie!

Kid, 10 years old April 19, 2015

Lots of blood

The hunger games inst really violent, its just that there is a lot of blood. In the opening scene, you see pools of blood and blood spraying from the tribute's chests. There are also lots of characters that have head wounds oozing with blood. But parents, please don't look at this and just see the violence. Renember there are messages about NOT KILLING, and great role models. But if your child does not feel comfortable with blood, don't watch this. But think about what your missing, its AMAZING.
Teen, 16 years old Written byNeonSprinkles February 2, 2015

Pretty Disappointing....

Actually, I was extremely exited to see the movie after reading the book, and I was pretty disappointed. It was kind of good, and the violence was nowhere near graphic ( most of the killings were off-screen, like the worst one in the book, Cato's death) but it was missing key elements, like action, to make it great.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byStartStrongIdaho April 6, 2012

Hunger Games and Gender Empowerment

The Hunger Games series depicts a society in which male and female characters display a full range of characteristics that do not always conform to traditional gender stereotypes for men and women. Katniss Everdeen is a 16 year old female who is strong, intelligent, and confident, and skilled at hunting, archery, and caring for her younger sister. Peeta Mellark, the male counterpart to Katniss, is a physically strong, emotionally expressive, and a baker and cake decorator. The society in which they live conducts an annual reaping, selecting twelve girls and twelve boys to compete against one another for survival, creating a world in which boys and girls have equal power and equal opportunity for survival. Katniss and Peeta demonstrate that males and females can both be strong, vulnerable, likeable, admired and ultimately their true selves. Katniss and Peeta are equally strong, but in different ways. In a world where Katniss is skilled, confident, and a rescuer and Peeta is emotionally expressive, caring, and vulnerable – each person is free to be their true selves. Men and women take control over their own lives. Katniss and Peeta and the other characters pursue their own goals, live according to their own values, develop self-reliance, and are able to make choices and influence - both individually and collectively - the decisions that affect their lives. Being free to express your true self is critical to becoming a healthy individual and achieving a healthy relationship.
Adult Written byCreila March 29, 2012

Hunger Games NOT for 13YO....try 15 or over

I am 43YO mom of three...I read (and loved) all three books! I have seen the movie! My 12YO son and 10YO daughter will NOT see or read until older....I have done much research....am very shocked that Collin's publisher lists "12" as the appropriate age for this book....I could not disagree more! Even after reading the books, the movie was extremely disturbing....loved Harry Potter BUT difference to me is that a child cannot go into a store and buy a wand and inflict violence on another yet EVERY weapon used in HG is accessible and is probably in your garage....sad that so many a parents are bringing kids as young as 9....disturbing....GREAT GREAT book and movie....for an ADULT!
Adult Written byAlemary April 13, 2016

Long film

Two and a half hours of my life I won't get back. I'm not the target age group so don't take much notice of this review! Didn't feel connected to the characters so unconcerned when they died. Not wholly comfortable with watching kids killing kids scenes. Is this the best we can do for the next generation?
Teen, 13 years old Written byBook-_-addict February 24, 2016

Violent and drunken people...BUT...

This is a very wonderful, twisted story. Although the begining of the games has a huge bloodbath, you have to look very close to see the blood actually spill from a person. There are some gore-ish scenes and alot of drunking from the mentor but i think suitable for preteens and teens.
Kid, 11 years old February 14, 2016

Not as scary as you would think

I have read all of the hunger games books and have watched every movie. I have enjoyed every single one. The blood bath at the start of the games is covered up with shaky cameras. It doesn't last long and it's not disturbing. The rest of the action is not highly gory either. There are a couple of occasions were katniss and peeta kiss, but it's nothing that 11 & 12 year olds wouldn't have seen in any other movie. I am 11 years old and i hate horror movies and gory videos, but i didn't find this movie as scary at all. I recommend this for 11+ (and pushing) 10 year olds that can handle violence and worrying dystopian landscapes. As for the quality of the film, 10/10!
Teen, 13 years old Written byi'mbeautiful January 27, 2016

stunning and excellent

Catchy and good enetertainment
Teen, 13 years old Written byMitten2002 November 12, 2015

READ THIS OVERANXIOUS PARENTS!!!!

Hunger games is a fantastic movie, although, before you take your kid to see it I recommend you do these things 1: Read all 3 books, your kid too, 2: Realize the the message is demoting killing, not promoting it 3: Remember that all deaths are sped up
Teen, 13 years old Written byEmma5578 November 11, 2015

The Hunger games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is about 24 teenagers that have to go into a cornucopia and fight to stay alive. They have to kill one another until there is only one person left standing. I think that The Hunger Games is a really good book. I enjoy this book because of its action and how they make the movie and book believable. The book does have a lot of violence though, so if you don’t like violence I wouldn’t recommend it. Suzanne Collins also uses a lot of detail in the book, for example the deaths in the book are described really well and can make you feel emotional, but the end just stops. Suzanne does this because when it stops you want to read more so you will then read the second book to find out what happens next. Well that’s what I did! I rate this book a 7 out of ten and I recommend this book to people aged 12+.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBookbubbles October 27, 2015

Great movie - not very violent

Some violent bits, some swear words and some passionate kissing. It's fine.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTV man 13245768 October 18, 2015

SUPER GOOD ACTION FILM

This movie interested me a lot. There was so much action. Some scenes were disturbing like, when a girl died because of bees stinging her, or when the little girl died from a bow and arrow. That part was so depressing. At the end of the movie Peta and Katniss are chased by lions. When they find a place that they could be safe, there is also another man there. The man grabs Peta and threatens to kill him. Katniss throws the bow and arrow at the man and he falls to the ground where all the tigers are. They eat him and they do show it. There is also explosions in this movie. After the little girl dies, in the real world there is a fight. Plenty of people die so you might not want your kids to watch that part. There is some kissing scenes but that's all you are going to get. The language not strong including the words hell, damn, and oh my god. There is this guy names Haymitch who gets drunk at the beginning of the movie. Later in the movie he stops drinking. There is also a scene where people are eating and there is some alcohol beverages. They drink the beverages but they do not get drunk. Teens age 14 and up could watch this movie but I would not recommend anybody younger.
Teen, 16 years old Written bycbar04 October 5, 2015
intense, but worth watching if you're into science-fiction. No sex but several scenes of kissing. Language: some language. Violence: lots of violence, but if you are mature enough to realize it's not real, it's not that bad. also, katniss is a very smart girl who will do whatever to help her family, even volunteering for her sister in the Hunger Games. She is determined and will stop at nothing to get back to her family.
Adult Written bygenna.grace October 5, 2015

Ages 11 and up

I red this book in 4th Grade and I loved it! I had a high reading skill level at that age so I could easily read the book. I absolutely fell in love with this book as I read it. There is lots of violence but the story is about love and sacrifice. I couldn't get enough of this book! Also, I can't remember any swearing in the book but there was some in the movie.