All member reviews for The Impossible

Very intense story of family's survival against the odds.

Adult Written byLeon cassif April 27, 2014

Not for kids

It's a very intense and brutal film. A lot of gore.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRobby Berger April 18, 2014

Know your kid before you watch this with them

This is a great movie about survival against the odds. When a tsunami hits the beach resort where the family is staying, The whole area is obliterated and each family member looks for another. Although it is a touching story of a mother's desire to keep her kids safe, there is a lot of blood from objects in the water and a scene where the mom is trying to save her son and gets her leg caught on an object in the water. After that, there is a large flap of skin (about 6 inches long) missing from her leg. Another part is when her shirt partially comes off and exposes her trunk.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGeorgepizani December 22, 2013

an amazing film

this film really is amazing, it is an emotional roller-coaster, going from extreme sadness to extreme happiness. i put ages 10 and up but I don't think you can put an age on a film like this, as long as you have a strong stomach you will love this film.
Kid, 12 years old October 27, 2013

Epic film, The Impossible!

This film is really good, it tells the story of a family separated by one of the worst tsunami's ever known. there is one bit with a lot of blood loss and part of the mums breast hanging out. The main disaster is at the beginning, about 20 mins in, it is hugely tense and upsetting. There are loads of really happy bits in the film as well as sad. There is one moment which is quite tense where the mum has a flashback about what happened to her when the wave struck - that showed how she got one of her really bad injuries. There is a good role model moment when the oldest of the boys goes looking around the hospital trying to find other peoples children or parents. Worth watching with amazing acting in it.
Kid, 12 years old August 16, 2013

Depressing

The acting was phenominal in it but it was DEPRESSING. Swearing like h*** and d*** nothing very bad. VERY gory and disgusting. Blood pucking skin loss was actully painful to watch. Though the son and mom stay together its positive messages I guess. The son points out his moms breast is exposed and all. Kissing. ALL AROUND SAD!!!!
Adult Written bywonder dove July 31, 2013

Good but not "Great".

I agree with a past review here, "Shivom Oza's" said exactly how I would have. Not moving enough. I think they could have done a lot better with this one. Story was good, acting was terrific, a few heart-wrenching moments but not enough to actually make you feel deeply for these people who went through such a terrible event. I wouldn't watch it again, but recommend a one time viewing. Violence is pretty bad, very gory sometimes, people are swept away separating from their loved ones, kids are missing and lost, all kinds of injuries, some yelling. Language has a kid cursing sometimes, no "f" words. Sexual content is not an issue although some non-sexual nudity (a bare breast is shown and seen by a kid). There's a bit of drinking. Overall, fine for 13+ who can handle some gore and frightening situations.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySean Broucek May 18, 2013

This Movie Is Very, Very Intense & Powerful

This film is intense and thought-provoking. It's very good, and teens and adults won't regret. There is realistic disaster scenes all throughout the movie, some very bloody and gory. In the way of sexuality, there is none, except for an image of nonsexual toplessness of one woman, with a bloody breast. People under the age of 15 may not be able to take the disturbing disaster and nudity in the film. Rated PG-13 For Mature Thematic Material Involving Disturbing Accident & Disaster Images, And For Partial Nudity And Brief Elements Of Violence Including Child Imperilment.
Adult Written bychristian2011 May 11, 2013

Amazing, emotionally intense movie based on the true story of a family's survival. A must watch.

The Impossible is a movie that greatly portrays the human spirit and makes you believe that miracles can happen even in the most unexpected situations. It's an intense, heartfelt, awe-inspiring true story about a family and thier 3 children who go through desperate measures to help and eventually become reunited after a catastrophic tsunami strikes Asia in 2004. You see people in intense terror, peril and horrifically injured throughout, which one of the main characters suffers a grisly flesh wound on her leg and graphically throws up blood clots from a collapsed lung. The tsunami disaster scene is realistic and people, including children, are seen thrown away by the sheer force of the water, crushed and impaled by the debris, and some are missing their loved ones - some believing they're gone. There are a few instances of graphic nudity, which one characters suffers an injury on her breast, where her nipple is exposed 2-3 times in the movie. Language is very infrequent, plus it's hard to understand by all the people screaming and shouting throughout. This movie brings groundbreaking and amazing performances by Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor, even the child actors' performances were brilliant and emotional. This movie definitely deserved the academy award, which it was only nominated?! Please...it deserved way more. This movie just shows you how much love and desperation this family puts through and it makes you feel like you're a part of their emotions and sadness throughout. Due to the intense thematic/emotional elements and the highly realistic, graphic nature of the tsunami aftermath makes it way too intense for children 12 and under. Teens and up should be able to handle the intensity.
Teen, 13 years old Written byleakingrye May 5, 2013

an great story to be told

Á great movie and a great true story for teens and adults but for young kids
Parent of an infant, 3, and 6 year old Written byGambleFam May 5, 2013

Great "True Story"

Absolutely LOVED this movie! Very intense scenes, and one scene the mothers breast is visible in a non-sexual way. Lots of blood and deep gashes and terror. Overall a very well done movie, I highly recommend it for adults. Defiantly not for kids. It's a high PG-13 in my mind, with the breast I'm surprised it didn't get the R rating. The MPAA seems to being more laxed every film, kind of sad. I remember "and I'm not that old" when movies that had any type of language where automatically flagged as R. And nudity! Oh wow, instant R. Times change...
Parent Written by915071 April 25, 2013

good

verry good
Teen, 16 years old Written bymissmegzy100 April 9, 2013

BEST FILM EVER

this film is amazing to watch it is very emotinal and sad but there is ALOT of blood like the mother had a chunk of flesh hanging off the back of her leg and and dead animals and dead peoplelay on the ground. Anyway this film is grate for kids 12 and up. I cried at this film because the amazing story they went through.(based on a ture story
Kid, 12 years old March 25, 2013

the impossible movie

I think it is very upsetting story and I wonder what had happened to the mum in the movie I hope she survived. Her son lucus Is very brave and a nice brother and son. The oldest son was amazing.... I love this film is on YouTube and I was lucky to watch it there!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byspace123 February 23, 2013

A heart-breaking survivel story

I'm 12, and i have a strong stomach, but there were several moments where i was really grossed out. It was defenitly an intence movie, but the massage really stands out. Maria(the mother, played by Naomi Watts) fights against the water to save her son, but thwn shows her body brused and cut, and even though she is in pain, she still helps others. In the end, this movie, based on a true story, will make kids apperciate how lucky they are to have a loving family! i think this move should definitly got an oscer!
Kid, 10 years old February 5, 2013

GREAT MOVIE

Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor do the performances of the of there career. I hope she wins for best actress.
Kid, 12 years old January 27, 2013

Great and inspiring movie!

It brought me and my friends to tears. But, i would recommend it to teens and up because there is a little inappropriate language (not much) and a lot of violence/blood. Also, some of the scenes may be disturbing to some people. If you want to see a movie that will bring you tears, and thrill you The Impossible is great for you! :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 January 21, 2013

graphic depiction of true event has disaster sequences and gore

this violent, sad, and emotionally draining true story of a family tprn apart by the 2004 tsunami has very intense scenes that make it a better fit for older teens. this harrowing tale of survival and loss depicts the tsunami in probably the most realistic and scary way possible. people are swept around, buildings and other objects get destroyed, and the main characters get tossed sround underneath. also, the film contains a load of blood, with graphic injuries including cuts, slashes, gashes, hole, bruises, and even a flap of skin flayed off. there is brief female nudity. but the biggest thing is the theme of family, protection, and love.
Kid, 9 years old January 20, 2013

disturbing scene!

i am ten years old and i wish i had looked away because right when lucas is giving the other woman in the hospital a tangerine she starts throwing up this disgusting rubble from the tsunami and then all of a sudden maria starts doing it too! it was especially disturbing!
Teen, 14 years old Written byConor Coyle January 12, 2013

Brilliant!!!!!!!!

Saw it in the cinema today (12/1/13) and I loved it. The tsunami was an intense scene. Maria's breasts are only briefly seen twice. The violence is the serious injures and the tsunami attack. But there was a lot of other kids behind me and my family and they laughed at the tsunami. And I was like "what the hell are you laughing for, if that was you would you still laugh?" It's a must-see for ages 13 & up. And you will enjoy it!!!!!!
Kid, 11 years old January 5, 2013

MUST SEE 2013 MOVIE

ok u see how it says there is "nudity" well th`ats bull the moms clothes get cut off in the tsunami no one cares but there isnt "violence" id say gory wounds very gross realistic wise and sad movie over all