All member reviews for The Impossible

Very intense story of family's survival against the odds.

Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written byfancythat January 25, 2013

So Worth Seeing

I was a bit hesitant to see this movie because I was afraid it would be too disturbing and hard to cope with the subject matter. I loved the resiliency of the family and other characters. One of the messages I appreciated is that no matter what nationality we are, we all have the same loyalty to loved ones and compassion for others.
Adult Written byatkinsww January 19, 2013

Very good but very difficult movie.

This is a very difficult movie to watch. Adults need to decide for themselves if they want to see so much pain and misery, but it is not for kids. The death, the destruction, and there is non-sexual nudity.
Parent Written bynimswa January 10, 2013

Heartwrenching

I didn't expect to like this movie at all, but was surprised to find that it was excellent. The acting was superb; Naomi Watts deserves a nomination.
Teen, 14 years old Written bynataliechun July 5, 2013

Violent vs. Inspirational

This movie was a gut-wrenching tale of a terrible tsunami and a heart-breaking story of a loving family. It brought me to tears every minute but kept me on my toes. I am 14 years old (and quite mature for my age) but I had difficulty watching this without biting my lip or covering my eyes. Violence was definitely an issue. During the tsunami, the mother received an atrocious wound in which her skin was detached from her body. The mother is dragged across the ground, aggravating her wound and causing her to scream in pain. That particular scene made me very tense and stressed. However, the story showed the importance of family and was a truly inspirational movie about survival.
Teen, 13 years old Written byShen2 June 20, 2013

Sad but really great movie!

Such a good movie. However, there are some VERY sad and disturbing parts of the movie, like one part where 2 people start coughing up some stringy black stuff which is not nice to see, and another part where there is a big hole in some-ones leg. It is also very sad when you see the body bags that the dead people were put in. I noticed that some of the bags were extremely small, which choked me up with tears. However, it does have some positive role models and messages, as it teaches you to hope, believe the best, and look to the future
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, and 9 year old Written bymom2fourgr8kids May 19, 2013

Definitely worth seeing, great story!

Awesome movie! It is very intense at times and highly emotional. I am debating what age would be appropriate for my kids to see this. I think the PG-13 rating has it right - it's just a little too intense for anyone younger than 13. There is a brief moment of nudity, when the mom's breast is showing because her shirt strap ripped, really not a big deal.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheReview January 28, 2013

amazing 2004 tsunami dramatization has an overload of emotions

i saw this movie today and the first thing id like to say is it is VERY bloody. also, for all you wondering, the movie actually doesn't stray very far from the true story. this movie is filled with glimpses of dead bodies, terrible wounds and people emotionally and physically dying. it is filled with terror and sadness, but has positive role models of the boy always watching over his mother. ill keep this review short so i dont spoil the movie for you, but all in all this is a very intense emotion filled movie and its really based on the child on whether they can handle it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 January 12, 2013

Devastating and inspiring

Katrina seems like a rain storm compared to the hundreds of thousands who were swept away in the 2004 tsunami. I remember so clearly hearing the news on the day after Christmas, and just being overwhelmed with grief. This extremely intense film shows the horrors of that occurance, but also the power of the human spirit. I'm so joyful Watts got an Oscar nomination; the agony written on her face throughout "The Impossible" is something only a vet like her could achieve. It's not even a tearjerker so much as just...horrifying. I can't recommend seeing it twice, but a single viewing will blow you away.
Adult Written byHildegard May 24, 2015

Good, but gory

This is a great film. It has really positive messages and role models, but there are more close ups of serious injuries than the movie really needed. It is a an excellent movie, but if you're very squeamish than you should watch this one with caution.
Kid, 11 years old March 2, 2015

The Impossible

The Impossible is a well made film but has some very disturbing scenes in the aftermath of disaster we see dead body's and horrific injuries including characters getting hit by bricks when trapped underwater and realistic injurys that are quite graphic however it's got a good educational value and is well acted and a great movie for teens.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 January 17, 2015

fantastic movie but very intense.

I saw this in theaters when it first came out and I loved it but it was a very hard movie to watch because it was so intense. I did cry a lot during the film and there were many scenes of the characters suffering especially the mom maria and there was a high amount of Gore. However if you have a child who is 12 or older and they can handle seeing intense stuff like this then they probably will love it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySnowman__1632 December 10, 2014

Very Intense

Kid, 12 years old October 11, 2014

Outstanding movie

This film is great for young adults to understand what the conditions this family were in as it was a true story. It contains great role models and messages. There is a quite a bit of violence and gore, such as open, visible wounds and horrible moments. There is also a little swearing. But all in all an amazing film with lots of awards and nominations!
Kid, 11 years old August 31, 2014

The Impossible

This movie is a great and gripping true story of the horrific events of the Asian tnsunami. This movie is pushing the boundaries for a 12 rating by the bbfc, it should be a weak 15 because the injuries are pretty gory and realistic, people are drowned or crushed by the debris.It is very bloody. In once scene, people cough up seaweed covered in dark red blood. There is not much bad language in this film but it is violent, this movie is unsuitable for anyone below the age of 13.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEagleEllie May 30, 2014

Brilliant

An amazing film, gripping from start to finish. However, it does have many emotional and upsetting scenes. It also includes many gory scenes, with horrific injures and people being thrown around underwater, crushed by debris and cut up by rocks. It also includes many dead bodies. There is a scene where a woman and the mother are throwing up blood or something everywhere, which kinda grossed me out, but that was the only scene that did that to me.
Adult Written byLeon cassif April 27, 2014

Not for kids

It's a very intense and brutal film. A lot of gore.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRobby Berger April 18, 2014

Know your kid before you watch this with them

This is a great movie about survival against the odds. When a tsunami hits the beach resort where the family is staying, The whole area is obliterated and each family member looks for another. Although it is a touching story of a mother's desire to keep her kids safe, there is a lot of blood from objects in the water and a scene where the mom is trying to save her son and gets her leg caught on an object in the water. After that, there is a large flap of skin (about 6 inches long) missing from her leg. Another part is when her shirt partially comes off and exposes her trunk.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGeorgepizani December 22, 2013

an amazing film

this film really is amazing, it is an emotional roller-coaster, going from extreme sadness to extreme happiness. i put ages 10 and up but I don't think you can put an age on a film like this, as long as you have a strong stomach you will love this film.
Kid, 12 years old October 27, 2013

Epic film, The Impossible!

This film is really good, it tells the story of a family separated by one of the worst tsunami's ever known. there is one bit with a lot of blood loss and part of the mums breast hanging out. The main disaster is at the beginning, about 20 mins in, it is hugely tense and upsetting. There are loads of really happy bits in the film as well as sad. There is one moment which is quite tense where the mum has a flashback about what happened to her when the wave struck - that showed how she got one of her really bad injuries. There is a good role model moment when the oldest of the boys goes looking around the hospital trying to find other peoples children or parents. Worth watching with amazing acting in it.
Kid, 12 years old August 16, 2013

Depressing

The acting was phenominal in it but it was DEPRESSING. Swearing like h*** and d*** nothing very bad. VERY gory and disgusting. Blood pucking skin loss was actully painful to watch. Though the son and mom stay together its positive messages I guess. The son points out his moms breast is exposed and all. Kissing. ALL AROUND SAD!!!!