All member reviews for The Indian in the Cupboard

Classic, heartwarming fantasy will rivet kids.

Parent Written byKristi2222 April 2, 2014

just a disturbing omission in reviews

This movie is very engaging for kids, and i agree with many other reviewers. I do find it surprising that none of the reviews seem to mention that one profane utterance comes from Omri, the main character. Foul language is not prolific in this film, and most of it comes out the mouths of the adults, which is somehow more palatable to me. But when Omri's mother enters to ask how he's feeling, I for one find it disturbing that a 9 yr old would say "I'm feeling pretty **** good!" What is even more appalling is his mother's reaction. Or rather, her LACK of reaction. She responds to it as though it is typical and acceptable language in her house, and the fact that her young son utters it does not even make her flinch. When we showed it in our class, students, ALL of them, gasped. I must say, I was embarrassed, for I'm sure parents got an earful about it at home. The movie is a good one, but perhaps more thought into who is uttering the profanity should be included in our reviews here.
Adult Written bydonnyrob April 9, 2008
Parent of a 5, 8, and 10 year old Written byccbarts September 13, 2009

Heartwarming Story

Great story the whole family will love. Brief flash at sexy music video unnecessary. Other than that minor language and violence.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byFilmagog January 16, 2010

Lessons from the little Indian

I loved it. It has great entertainment value for children and adults alike. There is magic, fantasy and suspense. There are also the lessons of life to be learned for a boy who finds he suddenly has at his disposal great powers, where his actions will determine the fate of the little characters he brings to life in his cupboard. Omri, the main character, and a little later, his young friend Patrick rise to the challenge. There are also poignant moments where the back drop of American history and the fate of its indigenous people and what could have been come to light. The film could be an impetus into investigation into bigger issues: rituals around life, death and loneliness; what were the philosophies of the Iroquois? The human bonding between adverseries as shown between Little Bear and cowboy Boone. What might have been if intercultural understanding had been achieved in Little Bear's time? How has what happened in the past effected the relations between different groups today?
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written bychantal August 2, 2009

Just a note that there is some minor language in the film. The medic and Omri both say "d*mn." The cowboy says "a**."
Parent Written byglide June 22, 2015

The kids were mezmerized BUT

The kids really loved this movie but it is a movie you should watch together with them - there were lots of questions about life in it - and there were some very disturbing scenes - even for our 11 year old. So I rated the movie for 11 and up but even younger children will be fascinated. BUT there are many very mature themes in it. And also some very unnecessary and lengthy scenes of the boys watching very very inappropriate television programs. We are a bit sheltered I admit but my girls were very upset with the scene of very scantily clad women dancing and gyrating on a rock video very R+ rated - and I am having a hard time talking that one away. Also an excessively violent killing scene of several native Americans (I think) - There were several scenes where the family was very lax and the siblings were not kind to each other. There was a lot of swearing. And the whole premise that the boy was coming of age, so to speak, but hid it all from parents and adults, was very upsetting to me. If my children had a revelation I should hope that would share it with me - rather than concealing it. I understand that this is part of the appeal of the film - but maybe if he had even told them after the fact, that would have been more palatable. The only person he told was a peer - who actually abused the trust. The parents seemed nice but were pretty hands off, aside from walking him to school and back. They made very few attempts to discuss the boy's obvious changes and attitude - or even discuss the scarey mugging. They were letting him find his way on his own - so when he did goofy things - they said uh-huh, or smirked - like they knew what he was going through even though they did not. So maybe he did not think he could confide in them. So he started taking his queues from the Indian stranger instead! SO - while it was an intriguing movie - for the kids (and for me), to contemplate the 'what if' of life, it would have been a great movie for the kids 'if only'.
Parent Written bynmheller September 6, 2014

Great for 8 - 9 (almost 10 yr) olds

A great pick - my son who is almost 10, thought this would be terrible and complained about my picking this movie. Ten minutes in, we asked if we should turn it off - a resounding "no"! from him. He enjoyed it a lot. Having studied Native Americans in third grade, it was a good reinforcing of what he'd learned. Younger sister also enjoyed it. There is some language from the cowboy and other characters (damn, etc.). Good topics for discussion about different cultures living together and history of the US too. (Spoiler: poignant final scenes when the Iroquois asks about the future of his people in America). Lots to talk about.
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar February 5, 2012

Very Good

KIds will love this great tale of friendship. Adults may find the character a bit annoying
Parent Written byjustamomof2 April 17, 2011

Great Family Movie

Mild language in the movie, but a classic in our house! I loved the talks afterward the movie inspired. Full of adventure for the action-movie fans, without the heavy violence, sexual content, and too much intensity for the younger viewers.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

Good movie

This movie is Indian in the Cupboard. Indian in the Cupboard is a good movie. There is a little violence from the cowboy and there's this Iroquis Indian that shoots the cowboy with a bow and arrow. But the cowboy still survived because they brought back a medicine soldier.