All member reviews for The Indian in the Cupboard

Classic, heartwarming fantasy will rivet kids.

Parent Written byKristi2222 April 2, 2014

just a disturbing omission in reviews

This movie is very engaging for kids, and i agree with many other reviewers. I do find it surprising that none of the reviews seem to mention that one profane utterance comes from Omri, the main character. Foul language is not prolific in this film, and most of it comes out the mouths of the adults, which is somehow more palatable to me. But when Omri's mother enters to ask how he's feeling, I for one find it disturbing that a 9 yr old would say "I'm feeling pretty **** good!" What is even more appalling is his mother's reaction. Or rather, her LACK of reaction. She responds to it as though it is typical and acceptable language in her house, and the fact that her young son utters it does not even make her flinch. When we showed it in our class, students, ALL of them, gasped. I must say, I was embarrassed, for I'm sure parents got an earful about it at home. The movie is a good one, but perhaps more thought into who is uttering the profanity should be included in our reviews here.
Adult Written bydonnyrob April 9, 2008
Parent of a 5, 8, and 10 year old Written byccbarts September 13, 2009

Heartwarming Story

Great story the whole family will love. Brief flash at sexy music video unnecessary. Other than that minor language and violence.
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written bychantal August 2, 2009
Just a note that there is some minor language in the film. The medic and Omri both say "d*mn." The cowboy says "a**."
Parent Written byglide June 22, 2015

The kids were mezmerized BUT

The kids really loved this movie but it is a movie you should watch together with them - there were lots of questions about life in it - and there were some very disturbing scenes - even for our 11 year old. So I rated the movie for 11 and up but even younger children will be fascinated. BUT there are many very mature themes in it. And also some very unnecessary and lengthy scenes of the boys watching very very inappropriate television programs. We are a bit sheltered I admit but my girls were very upset with the scene of very scantily clad women dancing and gyrating on a rock video very R+ rated - and I am having a hard time talking that one away. Also an excessively violent killing scene of several native Americans (I think) - There were several scenes where the family was very lax and the siblings were not kind to each other. There was a lot of swearing. And the whole premise that the boy was coming of age, so to speak, but hid it all from parents and adults, was very upsetting to me. If my children had a revelation I should hope that would share it with me - rather than concealing it. I understand that this is part of the appeal of the film - but maybe if he had even told them after the fact, that would have been more palatable. The only person he told was a peer - who actually abused the trust. The parents seemed nice but were pretty hands off, aside from walking him to school and back. They made very few attempts to discuss the boy's obvious changes and attitude - or even discuss the scarey mugging. They were letting him find his way on his own - so when he did goofy things - they said uh-huh, or smirked - like they knew what he was going through even though they did not. So maybe he did not think he could confide in them. So he started taking his queues from the Indian stranger instead! SO - while it was an intriguing movie - for the kids (and for me), to contemplate the 'what if' of life, it would have been a great movie for the kids 'if only'.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byFilmagog January 16, 2010

Lessons from the little Indian

I loved it. It has great entertainment value for children and adults alike. There is magic, fantasy and suspense. There are also the lessons of life to be learned for a boy who finds he suddenly has at his disposal great powers, where his actions will determine the fate of the little characters he brings to life in his cupboard. Omri, the main character, and a little later, his young friend Patrick rise to the challenge. There are also poignant moments where the back drop of American history and the fate of its indigenous people and what could have been come to light. The film could be an impetus into investigation into bigger issues: rituals around life, death and loneliness; what were the philosophies of the Iroquois? The human bonding between adverseries as shown between Little Bear and cowboy Boone. What might have been if intercultural understanding had been achieved in Little Bear's time? How has what happened in the past effected the relations between different groups today?
Parent Written byerickandmegan August 17, 2016

Swearing in a children's movie??

I had just finished reading this book with my children so we were really excited to watch it. They follow the book well and we really enjoyed seeing Little Bear and his miniature things. I was so surprised at how much swearing there was! The older brothers swear when Omri comes in their room looking for the cupboard and Boone swears almost every time he opens his mouth. I was shocked! Luckily my children don't really know any swear words yet and he speaks with a twang and is a little hard to understand but I just started turning the volume down whenever he was on the screen. Others have mentioned when Omri swears to his mother and the horrible music video he and Patrick are watching. I fast forwarded through that and the cowboys and Indians movie. It was way too intense. I am disappointed. A great book and I cringed basically the whole movie. Kids wanted to watch it again and I said a definite no! When will movie makers stop the swearing in children's movies?? It's so infuriating.
Parent Written bynmheller September 6, 2014

Great for 8 - 9 (almost 10 yr) olds

A great pick - my son who is almost 10, thought this would be terrible and complained about my picking this movie. Ten minutes in, we asked if we should turn it off - a resounding "no"! from him. He enjoyed it a lot. Having studied Native Americans in third grade, it was a good reinforcing of what he'd learned. Younger sister also enjoyed it. There is some language from the cowboy and other characters (damn, etc.). Good topics for discussion about different cultures living together and history of the US too. (Spoiler: poignant final scenes when the Iroquois asks about the future of his people in America). Lots to talk about.
Parent Written byjustamomof2 April 17, 2011

Great Family Movie

Mild language in the movie, but a classic in our house! I loved the talks afterward the movie inspired. Full of adventure for the action-movie fans, without the heavy violence, sexual content, and too much intensity for the younger viewers.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bygreatkid'smom July 23, 2016

Girls...Girls..Girls

Quite enjoyed the movie. Should have read the description about the Native American massacre....so I could screen my daughter's view. But what also was disturbing was the Motley Crue video. Not so excited to share this scene with my daughter.....
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar February 5, 2012

Very Good

KIds will love this great tale of friendship. Adults may find the character a bit annoying
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

Good movie

This movie is Indian in the Cupboard. Indian in the Cupboard is a good movie. There is a little violence from the cowboy and there's this Iroquis Indian that shoots the cowboy with a bow and arrow. But the cowboy still survived because they brought back a medicine soldier.
Teen, 13 years old Written byits.sammy.duh February 24, 2016

Indian in the Cupboard

The Indian in the cupboard the main characters are Omri, Little bear, Patrick, and Boone. Patrick gave Omri a toy indian for his birthday. The indian name is Little bear and Boone is a cowboy. Omri for his ninth birthday gets a cupboard from his brother and it has a lock but no key so his mother tells him to look in the box that has keys in it. He does and finds a key and he puts the plastic toy indian in it, and in the morning he finds out that the indian came alive. When Omri was going to go to sleep and he hears a noise from the cupboard. So he looks and Little bear demands him to get him food and a longhouse, fire, tools, and a gun. Instead Omri makes him a horse, ax,bow,and arrows. The next day Omri told Patrick and he didn’t believe him, so Omri takes Patrick to his house and proves to Patrick that he wasn’t lying. Patrick becomes jealous and asks Omri to make him one too. While Omri wasn’t looking Patrick put the toy cowboy in the cupboard. Then Little bear and Boone get in a fight, Little bear tries to kill Boone. Omri has Little bear promise to not hurt Boone,but if he did Little bear wouldn’t get a wife. The next day Omri takes Little bear and Boone to school with him. After school Omri took Little bear to the store to pick out a wife. The wife Little bear picked out is named Bright star.Then Omri makes Bright star alive. Little bear and Bright star get married. Omri realizes that he can’t keep the toys living, so he and Patrick turns all three toys back to plastic. Omri gives the key to his mother for safekeeping,and decides knowing make figurines real is enough magic for him.