All member reviews for The Intouchables

Sweet French drama about unlikely friendship has some edge.

Teen, 16 years old Written byevolinag October 13, 2012

Critically acclaimed French drama goes a thin line between PG-13 and R!

"The Intouchables" is a French drama based on a trues story. It was a huge success in Europe, bith financial and critical. I actually was surprised that this movie wasn't nominated for the Academy Award as "Best Foreign Language Film" since in Europe, this was the most acclaimed movie of the year. "The Intouchables" is a witty and sweet story about a friendship between the handicapped, but wealthy Philippe and the big-mouthed african-origined Driss. While they are both minorities, they both have faced the dark side of life. The two very different people learn from each other, and a very strong friendship begins. What makes "The Intouchables" more than just a French version of "The Odd Couple" is its original way of storytelling. It is serious and comic, both touching and funny. it is one of the few movies that doesn't focus on political correctness, but still treats everyone with respect. This is not a big budget Hollywood movie, and that what makes its charme. It lacks the structures we are used to, and brings in something new. Sometimes you don't need a plot twist or a highlight to make a movie good. If you expect a pure drama or comedy movie, you will be disappointed. But if you're open for something new, you'll be fine with this movie. (SPOILERS may follow:) The movie is neither violent nor sexual. There are some verbal references to sex and sensuality (a character gets aroused by getting his ears rubbed), but it is at the PG-13 level. There is one scene in which characters smoke marijuana, but there is not much talk about it. Since i'm strictly against drugs, I don't know if this will appeal to others. But it is not that strong. Know your kid. There are about 10 uses of the f-word (in subtitles), very infequent. This movie goes a thin line between PG-13 and R. If there was no language, it was PG-13 for drug abuse and some mild sex references. (END OF SPOILERS) I think it is okay for teens and up.
Teen, 16 years old Written bywhiteblack March 25, 2013

GREAT MOVIE-ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE STUDYING FRENCH!

This is a fantastic, uplifting, movie with great messages about making the best of what you've got and never giving up. Some of the sexual references in this movie can be a bit confrounting (e.g. a man is aroused by people licking his ears) and there is a considerable amount of strong language. However, by the time your child is 15 I believe that there is nothing that they wouldn't be able to handle.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 August 8, 2013

"Blind Side"-esque but charming

I realize this is a true story and they are simply adapting the facts, but that doesn't stop this film from being wholly predictable. I loved the paragliding shots, and for sure the chemistry between Sy and Cluzet is dynamic, you get the sense that they're the only ones who truly get each other at times. It's also bitingly funny in that European way. I hope they never remake it, this movie has flaws for sure but it's charm is inimitable.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bypotterypot November 1, 2013

A great feel-good film but not for anyone under 16

A great movie...for adults or, at least, no one under 16. While the relationship between the two men (employer and caregiver) is moving, funny, believable, there are some scenes that are not appropriate for anyone under 16. Such as the [spoiler alert] when the caregiver invites a couple of prostitutes over, and they (among other things) smoke marijuana. In addition, as the mother of an Asian girl, I hate to see stereotypes of Asian women (the prostitutes) as highly desirable, sexually exotic, etc., promoted among young people.
Parent Written byMarine Musaelian May 4, 2014

Really cool movie

This movie is awesome because driss is kinfd o asneaky man and I like sneaky oh this movie is just kind and it is good fir people to watch
Teen, 15 years old Written byMr Blonde January 28, 2014