All member reviews for The Iron Giant

Touching robot-kid friendship tale with great messages.

Parent of a 5, 8, and 10 year old Written byCrimsonBuckeye March 2, 2010

Great movie, but parents beware

I loved the movie and the ultimate message, but I was very disappointed in the unnecessary use of profanity (d@mn, h3ll). I was also put off by the ultimate threat of nuclear destruction toward the end of the movie. This is a development I was not prepared for and had to explain to my kids. Really, this was the most frightening aspect to them, not the robot with its guns blazing. Thankfully, my youngest didn't quite get the impending doom. While the robot does the right thing in this dangerous situation, parents should be aware of the nuclear threat aspect.
Kid, 12 years old June 20, 2010

a great kids movie for 5 and older. I watched it when i was 8 and loved it, and i still do. some things u might now want your kid to watch although. Violence includes guns and tanks. One scary scene where the iron giant almost dies. Some surprising language too. people say d--mit is yelled once and h-ll, g-d, and screw are also said.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bypamother March 11, 2010

Great movie, but too scary for under 7

Good story, lots of suspense particularly at the beginning
Kid, 7 years old March 16, 2013

WORST MOVIE EVERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am 7 years old and I really really did not I repeat did not like it at all. beucause I think that it was incredibly sad a specially beucause of the end and the scene with the deer.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byscalatayud September 6, 2010

Fantastic positive family movie, particularly for boys!

This movie is one of my personal favorites, as well as a favorite for my boys. The message is terrific - "you are who you choose to be - YOU decide". Hogarth, the boy, befriends the iron giant, who becomes a very endearing character. The giant is designed to be a weapon, but after seeing Hogarth's "Superman" comics, the giant decides he doesn't want to wield violence. His love for Hogarth leads to his very moving, self-sacrificing decision in the end, and he saves the whole town. I still cry every time I see that scene! The movie does end on a very positive, hopeful, uplifting note, and the audience knows that Hogarth will eventually be reunited with the giant. It is an absolutely terrific movie by Brad Bird, who did "The Incredibles".
Parent of a 6 year old Written byRenodad June 14, 2010

A positive message of anti-violence, personal responsibility and compassion.

While viewing The Iron Giant, I was initially concerned that the violence involving guns, missiles, tanks, jets, etc., would be too much for my son. But this violence beautifully set up a powerful ending with a wonderful message about compassion, personal responsibility, choice and friendship. I was impressed.
Kid, 11 years old January 27, 2009

I cry every time

Everychild should see this movie. It's sad so watch it with a boxs of kleenex near by!
Teen, 17 years old Written byBlue-Bunny October 29, 2011

An enchanting and touching film for all ages...

The Iron Giant is simply amazing. The animation is really well-done and the humor is equally great. The characters were fresh and exciting. It's a really cute film. The Iron Giant is really courageous and sacrifices himself to save the whole town from destruction. It's really good thing, though, that they made him come back at the end because if they didn't, I probably would've been left crying, haha. The violence is what you'd probably expect: guns, tanks, missiles, lasers, and the likewise. There isn't much "sexy" stuff, but Kent (the main villain of the film) eyes Hogarth's mother (Annie) in a slightly sexual way, but it's really brief and isn't really an issue. As for language, "hell", "d@mn", and a few other words are used a few times. In the end, I was quite satisfied. One more thing, if any of you noticed how the style is similar to The Incredibles, it's because it's directed by the same person, Brad Bird.
Teen, 15 years old Written byHTFMime February 3, 2011

This movie is amazing but beware the ending!

I haven't seen this movie since I was 9! At the end The Iron giant explodes and I saw this movie when I was 4 and the ending made me cry. But when I saw this movie again when I was 9 it did not made me cry. I think you should be careful if your child is under 7 because when I was saw this movie when I was 4 I was enjoying it until the end. :(
Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written byleah.k November 25, 2009

Kid, 8 years old March 5, 2012

The movie of Iron Giant

This movie is awesome but the worse part when the iron giant was dead and the best part was when hogarth and iron giant were friends.But there was no space-bat-angel-dragon in the movie.
Kid, 10 years old April 17, 2010

Sad movie

I love this movie. It can be watched by every age and is a great movie.It has a great plot with good characters.The ending is very sad and it always makes me cry. It would especially make younger kids upset, so its not for kids under 7.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bybethmorris1125 August 14, 2009

GREAT movie, bad language

I like the movie. Interesting story, engaging, funny, touching....etc. I grabbed it at the library one day, and had never heard of it before and thought it was a great family movie. Then....the language started. Lines like, "I don't know what in the he-double hockey sticks (except they say the real word) it is", repetitive use of "Oh my God" and "d@mn" are all in this movie. I just don't understand this in a kid's movie. We used it as an opportunity to talk to our kids...but nonetheless...if I knew I would have made them wait til they were older to see it.
Adult Written byMamaMegan April 9, 2008

an intelligent film

This is a very good film, and while there is some violence in it, the message is actually very pro-peace. The whole point is that the robot only fires defensively, and that the government & army antagonize it by assuming the worst and fearing the unknown. The boy is an excellent role model -- smart, open-minded, curious, caring. Our son loved the robot of course. It is obviously a movie for older children (6+), and I think it should be watched with an adult to provide interpretation and explanation as needed throughout the movie. The government agent is threatening, but the other male character provides a good role model balance. Our son was sad at the end that the boy & robot were separated, but we imagined that they would be able to resume their friendship later on. The robot does NOT die at the end but begins to reassemble itself in the last moments of the movie. This is not a take-a-nap-while-the-kids-watch-a-video type movie. Watch it with your kids. It's a smart film and has a timely message.
Adult Written bymejra_bh@hotmail.com March 28, 2015

extra

nema sta
Kid, 11 years old January 18, 2015

Touching, funny story

I think it's a really sweet, touching story that the whole family will enjoy, and it is very funny in some parts. I definitely recommend it. It's awesome!
Teen, 13 years old Written byminionlover April 15, 2014

Good, but sad

this is a very good movie, but the end is sad and used to make me cry when i was little.
Adult Written byabc123 February 1, 2013

The iron giant

the message was to have no guns and not to judge a book by its cover. A giant robot crash lands in Rockwell,Maine and befriends a young boy. They have to show that the bloody path isn't the best. This movie is full of action. It is one of my favorite movies.
Teen, 16 years old Written bypatilly100 January 21, 2013

The Iron Giant: A Giant, Beautiful Movie

This movie was amazing. It has positive messages like, 'You choose who you want to be, good or bad' etc. The only bad thing about it is that it has cursing in it, i.e. 'da**' and 'he**'. Overall, a wonderful family film.
Parent Written bydgbehrends January 19, 2013

Great Family Movie

My kids 4 6 and 7 love this movie. Great dialogue and lots of humor for the kids.