Touching robot-kid friendship tale has great messages.

Kid, 12 years old June 20, 2010
a great kids movie for 5 and older. I watched it when i was 8 and loved it, and i still do. some things u might now want your kid to watch although. Violence includes guns and tanks. One scary scene where the iron giant almost dies. Some surprising language too. people say d--mit is yelled once and h-ll, g-d, and screw are also said.
Kid, 7 years old March 16, 2013

WORST MOVIE EVERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am 7 years old and I really really did not I repeat did not like it at all. beucause I think that it was incredibly sad a specially beucause of the end and the scene with the deer.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 10 year old Written byCrimsonBuckeye March 2, 2010

Great movie, but parents beware

I loved the movie and the ultimate message, but I was very disappointed in the unnecessary use of profanity (d@mn, h3ll). I was also put off by the ultimate threat of nuclear destruction toward the end of the movie. This is a development I was not prepared for and had to explain to my kids. Really, this was the most frightening aspect to them, not the robot with its guns blazing. Thankfully, my youngest didn't quite get the impending doom. While the robot does the right thing in this dangerous situation, parents should be aware of the nuclear threat aspect.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bypamother March 11, 2010

Great movie, but too scary for under 7

Good story, lots of suspense particularly at the beginning
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byscalatayud September 6, 2010

Fantastic positive family movie, particularly for boys!

This movie is one of my personal favorites, as well as a favorite for my boys. The message is terrific - "you are who you choose to be - YOU decide". Hogarth, the boy, befriends the iron giant, who becomes a very endearing character. The giant is designed to be a weapon, but after seeing Hogarth's "Superman" comics, the giant decides he doesn't want to wield violence. His love for Hogarth leads to his very moving, self-sacrificing decision in the end, and he saves the whole town. I still cry every time I see that scene! The movie does end on a very positive, hopeful, uplifting note, and the audience knows that Hogarth will eventually be reunited with the giant. It is an absolutely terrific movie by Brad Bird, who did "The Incredibles".
Adult Written bythehandyman October 3, 2015

Good movie, just watch for language and negative messages

The Iron Giant is a great movie, unfortunately there is some completely unnecessary swearing(its a kids movie come on). It's not excessive, but it would be good to review it and mute the few parts that they do curse. They also do have an iffy scene where the boy takes the Lord's name in vain and acts like he is praying. You could say it is somewhat of a mockery of praying/religion. One negative message in the movie is that guns kill. This is portrayed when two hunters shoot a deer (off camera, all you hear is a shot). The boy and Giant scare the hunters off but falsely conclude that guns kill. This statement is repeated in the movie 2-3 times (they try to ingrain it in your mind). Just be careful to tell any kids that don't know better that BAD PEOPLE KILL!! NOT GUNS! Also assure them that hunting is not evil or bad, and hunters are not evil or as well.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBlue-Bunny October 29, 2011

An enchanting and touching film for all ages...

The Iron Giant is simply amazing. The animation is really well-done and the humor is equally great. The characters were fresh and exciting. It's a really cute film. The Iron Giant is really courageous and sacrifices himself to save the whole town from destruction. It's really good thing, though, that they made him come back at the end because if they didn't, I probably would've been left crying, haha. The violence is what you'd probably expect: guns, tanks, missiles, lasers, and the likewise. There isn't much "sexy" stuff, but Kent (the main villain of the film) eyes Hogarth's mother (Annie) in a slightly sexual way, but it's really brief and isn't really an issue. As for language, "hell", "d@mn", and a few other words are used a few times. In the end, I was quite satisfied. One more thing, if any of you noticed how the style is similar to The Incredibles, it's because it's directed by the same person, Brad Bird.
Kid, 11 years old January 27, 2009

I cry every time

Everychild should see this movie. It's sad so watch it with a boxs of kleenex near by!
Adult Written byabc123 February 1, 2013

The iron giant

the message was to have no guns and not to judge a book by its cover. A giant robot crash lands in Rockwell,Maine and befriends a young boy. They have to show that the bloody path isn't the best. This movie is full of action. It is one of my favorite movies.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byRenodad June 14, 2010

A positive message of anti-violence, personal responsibility and compassion.

While viewing The Iron Giant, I was initially concerned that the violence involving guns, missiles, tanks, jets, etc., would be too much for my son. But this violence beautifully set up a powerful ending with a wonderful message about compassion, personal responsibility, choice and friendship. I was impressed.
Adult Written byDavid White April 9, 2008

Great story, but climax was over-the-top.

I really liked this movie as did most of my family up until the climax where the robot is threatened by the Military. At that point it felt like the Producers and Director of the film lost their heads and threw in every alarming technological transformation of the Giant they could think of - regardless of: 1) How frightening it might be to little kids. 2) The Era the story was set in. 3) The stylistic and story incongruities.It was jarring to witness this generally cold war-era retro-styled robot start sprouting scary looking space-age weaponry. I mean was this a Soviet manufactured secret weapon or something from outer space? It just didn't fit the story it was in.And it's too bad because I thought it had been so good up to that point.
Educator and Parent of a 14 and 15 year old Written byLiz Perle April 9, 2008

a bit scary in places but really quality

This is a really good movie. The characters are 3D, the plot a good versus evil. It's scary and sad in places but a real rest from the pap that so many of these movies can be
Teen, 14 years old Written byethanct86 October 12, 2015

An old, but shiny rusty joint

A boy finds this creature from outer space, teaches it about the world, tries but fails to convince anyone about his discovery and later the government attempts to hunt down the creature. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial right? Yes, and no. Though very similar and a lot less content worries, The Iron Giant, set in the 1950s when the Russians had just deployed the Sputnik into space, distinguishes itself from E.T. by one, 100 ft. metal man. Sent from outer space to be “a weapon” to destroy humans, the Iron Giant is remarkably friendly to humans. He soon befriends an 11 year-old pet-addicted boy, Hogarth, who had saved him from a close-to-death electrocution during the Giants feast on the metal of an electric station. Lonely for a companion, Hogarth visits the Giant and teaches him about the world. Thus begins the mental journey of the Iron Giant into the world of humans. Meanwhile, the government is called up about some weird discoveries. They send an agent by the name of Kent Mansley to investigate. He first dismisses the idea of a metal-eating Giant as too eccentric, but then after finding his car with a huge bite and a second later vanished completely, he calls the government which instructs him to find more evidence. Immediately, Kent suspects Hogarth and after many annoying and desperate inquiries he discovers a picture of Hogarth and the Giant. The next day, the army is in their backyard. The Iron Giant, rated PG for some violence, some bathroom humor and a bunch too many swears and misuses of God’s name, is both hilarious but also heartbreaking, yet unlike many animation films, viewers will find its message comparably heavy and touching deeply on the truth of death and souls. There is one thing I disliked though. Every scene all are straight to the point and are never out of place. It would could have been extended by 15 more minutes and still prove the important points. Frankly, although the story is not new to most of us, The Iron Giant easily bests the others in creativity and spiritual truth (but not all on family-friendly content). Just as Hogarth says to the Giant, “You don’t have to be a gun. You are what you choose to be,” we should not base ourselves on what others believe and want us to be. “Superman…”
Adult Written byansibility April 1, 2015

Excellent animated feature with an embedded history lesson

On top of everything that's been said in this review, there's an additional aspect where you could say that the government's reaction to the Iron Giant was just as scary as titular character itself. In particular, federal agent Kent Mansley was a perfect example of government paranoia, especially during the Cold War era. It's a perfect talking point for older kids about what went on during that time. Mansley threatened to separate Hogarth from his mother and even drugged him with chloroform. He was portrayed as a bit of an idiot in the beginning, which makes it more scarier to think that there are people like him who have the authority to take those measures in the name of national security.
Parent Written bydgbehrends January 19, 2013

Great Family Movie

My kids 4 6 and 7 love this movie. Great dialogue and lots of humor for the kids.
Parent Written byPlague January 25, 2010

The Iron Giant

A fantastic classic that parents and their kids will love. Very mild language (their is a "h*ll" and a "d*mn" if im not mistaken), but sends a strong message that friendship is a key aspect to have in life.
Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written byleah.k November 25, 2009
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bybethmorris1125 August 14, 2009

GREAT movie, bad language

I like the movie. Interesting story, engaging, funny, touching....etc. I grabbed it at the library one day, and had never heard of it before and thought it was a great family movie. Then....the language started. Lines like, "I don't know what in the he-double hockey sticks (except they say the real word) it is", repetitive use of "Oh my God" and "d@mn" are all in this movie. I just don't understand this in a kid's movie. We used it as an opportunity to talk to our kids...but nonetheless...if I knew I would have made them wait til they were older to see it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byHTFMime February 3, 2011

This movie is amazing but beware the ending!

I haven't seen this movie since I was 9! At the end The Iron giant explodes and I saw this movie when I was 4 and the ending made me cry. But when I saw this movie again when I was 9 it did not made me cry. I think you should be careful if your child is under 7 because when I was saw this movie when I was 4 I was enjoying it until the end. :(
Parent of a 5 and 5 year old Written byCDMoyer June 11, 2010