All member reviews for The Jungle Book (animated)

Jaunty animation meets jazzy songs in Disney classic.

Parent of a 2 year old Written byjulzb August 4, 2009

2 year old enjoyed it - Will hold off on watching again

It was good. My daughter who is 2 liked it but here are a few of my concerns... • through out the movie they talk about Shere Khan (tiger) wanting to kill the boy - a little upsetting • the snake Kaa is freaky • the last fighting scene is somewhat violent
Parent of a 4 year old Written byElfrieda August 16, 2014

too violent for preschoolers

We've been searching for movies to share with my 4yo, and from my memory, this is a sweet movie. But it was just not okay for my son. It starts out with an abandoned or orphaned baby, then when he's older, he gets kicked out of his wolf family, there's a snake that tries to eat him, a tiger that wants to kill him, and Mowgli is very sulky and fights with the animals that are trying to take care of him. I was previewing it, and when the apes kidnapped him, I just shut it off. Not the right show for my son right now. He would have nightmares for weeks.
Parent Written bysusieee March 18, 2014

Fun but... includes child abduction, fighting, scary scenes

I loved this movie as a kid, so it was one of the first movies we showed to our son, since there were no "inappropriate" ratings. Afterwards, I thought, ooof, what a horrible movie for our little guy! It introduced him to fighting. It includes scary scenes like buildings crumbling on top of people (he stood bold upright when that happened) and rocks falling on a character's head. There were mean snakes, tigers, etc. all throughout. The next day, when friends tried to carry him (he was typically very social in the past), he cried bitterly with a horrified look on his face (were they taking him away like the monkeys took Moguli away?). He's fine now, a couple days later, but I wish we had waited a bit longer before showing him this movie.
Educator Written bylb94 March 17, 2013

Fun and great music

A very fun and engaging story for kids, but there is some subtle implied racism in the way Disney has chosen voice actors for the monkeys vs. the people.
Teen, 14 years old Written byrebma97 April 25, 2011

Not the best Disney movie

It was okay, but it's probably my least favorite Disney classic. There is some violence, but not as much as in some other Disney films.
Kid, 12 years old October 2, 2009
A jazzy movie with lovable characters and hilarious songs, this movie should be watched more often by young ones everywhere. Shere Khans a little freaky as is the snake, but surely something kids these days will cope with.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNectaria August 31, 2009

Note to parents

The Kaa scene can be sexually sensitive to audiences.
Adult Written byKats April 9, 2008

Golden Oldie

My son loves it even though we do have to skip any scene with Kaa the snake in it, even now that our son is 4, he's scared out of his wits. Apart from that, the perfect movie for small kiddies.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byLauraR 2 December 27, 2014

OK for a one time watch, I wish we had not purchased it. The gender roles are dated (village girl seductively singing about collecting water, finding a husband, having a daughter to collect water for her). the voices are the same as those in robinhood; I prefer that movie despite more comic fighting.
Adult Written byLowe's man June 5, 2014

a preparation for school

Despite what you say about Baloo being laid back, he actually taught Mowgli how to fend for himself to get his food. This happened during the Bare Necessities song. At first Mowgli had trouble, but, with a little help from Baloo, he caught on and could very soon do it all by himself. True, Bagherra and Baloo had different styles, and both taught Mowgli differently, but kids will learn when they get to school (particularly if they change schools in the middle of the school year) that each teacher has a different style. This movie will prepare them for that, particularly if there's a discussion by the parent. When Bagherra and Baloo team up to protect Mowgli, it represents what happens in real life when 2 or more people with different teaching or management styles come together. The only thing that might be a problem for some chlidren who've ever lived in extreme poverty is Mowgli's extreme thinness, which could indeed traumatize some such children here and there, while other children in such a situation might think that they too could become extremely thin. Other than that, I see no problems with this movie. Don't miss this last movie by Walt himself.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byHupikék Törpikék March 23, 2013

Good movie with jazz music

My kids love it (3 and 6), they want to watch it every day. What I really love in this film is the jazz music.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJessie rocks December 25, 2011

Good movie. Why would kids be sca-oh, yeah. Their parents...

I love this movie. I know you've heard that from me about a number of other Disney movies, but it's true. Disney makes good movies.
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bycelinac January 27, 2010
Expressive animation. Fun characters. Catchy songs. Endures as a crowd-pleasing Disney classic.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byproxyjon April 9, 2008
Adult Written byjoess April 9, 2008
Kid, 7 years old February 1, 2014

Movie violence briefing

This movie was very gentle and the characters are very funny and I think audiences of very young ages could watch this movie. However, there are some intense scenes, and there are battles. Otherwise, this movie is great and for the youngest of audiences.
Kid, 11 years old January 5, 2012
Parent of a 4 year old Written bywidumina May 22, 2011

perfect for kids

it is good
Teen, 13 years old Written byGeodeGem March 17, 2010

Can't take the Jungle out of the Boy

I thought it was a great Disney chassic! I thought pretty much everything was fun and interesting! I think everyone should get in touch with nature instead of worrying about things like, what's this months hottest looks, or who's famous and who's not. The battle with that Tiger ( forgot how to spell his name ) Sher-Kaun, wasn't that bad, I mean that's nature for ya, and it aint like he got ripped apart.