All member reviews for The Karate Kid (2010)

Remake has new stars, new country, but same winning spirit.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byFanner50 June 12, 2010

12+ to me.

Too violent for 9yo. I rate as more appropriate for 12 to 13+. There is an element of sadism in the violence between the children. It seems odd to watch children fighting, anyway. My kid is 11 and takes karate, so I am okay with martial arts. There is something dark about this movie. The fighting isn't sparring, it is brutal. The mom figure is well-meaning, but essentially clueless while she watches her son get the tar beat out of him. Not a role-model to follow. This borders on PG-13. On the up side, Jackie Chan give the performance of his career. The subtle product placement here is the country of China, which is portrayed as a big village and a dramatic landscape tourist destination.
Parent Written byjhartsock81 April 12, 2011
"new" Karate kid spits out a curse. Was not needed and takes away from a good family film. Over all almost as good as the first. Almost...
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byblissful June 14, 2010

Good for our mature 5 yr old boy; Perfect for our 8 yr old boy

Our 8 year old boy is taking Kid's Karate and our 5 and a half year old boy is taking Lil' Dragons Karate. Yes, this movie had some violence in it, but you have to expect that when the movie is about a young boy learning to defend himself from bullies. The important thing is that violence was not glorified, and the consistent message was that the kids being taught "no mercy" had a bad teacher. There's one line where Dre (the main character) tells his mom he is going to learn Kung Fu, and she says, "I don't want you fighting" and he replies, "Mom, Kung Fu is not about fighting. It's about learning to make peace with your enemies." The movie has a very clear message that martial arts are about respect, honor, defense ONLY WHEN NECESSARY, and making peace with your enemies. There is nothing gratuitous about the violence in this movie. It's certainly not for all kids, but we felt very comfortable with our 5 year old boy seeing it, because he is that rare 5 year old who understands the subtlety of when it is appropriate to use martial arts and when it's not. I think for some 5 year olds it would be iffy. The boy says, "Kick @$$" but he is scolded for it when he says it, so it's not too bad. Our kids knew they'd better not repeat it. Overall, we were VERY pleased with the message of this movie: Focus, respect, honor, and a kid slowly becoming aware that the world doesn't revolve around him and learning empathy for others. This was very well done. Our kids loved it, and we loved it!
Kid, 11 years old June 25, 2010

Good but could have been better

This was an ok version of the original movie. But why Justen bever is singing in the end is unknown to me.
Parent Written bygarden gal June 19, 2010

Great for 8+, Violence needs to be discussed in advance

The violence...way too much...this movie is targeting youngsters...why so obvious? Why not more Hitchcock (know it happened and didn't see it) (Did we need to see the kid's leg broken?) There is an end scene where the mean boys abandon their violence driven teacher and honor Jackie Chan, the good teacher. Unfortunately this message is lost on the younger crowd since they don't have the life experience to grasp things like societal honor, subtle shame, and other more mature components. I would have felt better about all the violence if this statement were more dramatic so the younger kids would understand the mean approach was not the right one. I'm afraid in this movie the mean approach was presented as an "option" vs the wrong thing to do. Having said all of that, the movie was fantastic. I wish we had waited till my son was older to have watched it or I had watched it alone and had pre discussions on it with him.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bytyshkyzo April 10, 2011
Kid, 11 years old July 20, 2010
i loved this movie so much, i wish i could see it over and over, which i will ! ,
Kid, 12 years old August 11, 2015

Good Film

I love this film but I haven't seen the original but this film is great there some messages that tell people including adults that Karate and Kung-fu is a not about violence but self-defense and making peace there are some violent fight scenes words like damn and ass are used is a kiss but overall this film is still great
Adult Written byclarence August 5, 2015
Kid, 11 years old June 6, 2015

Okay but not as good as the original

This movie is good and is aimed for younger kids than the original was for but somehow less exciting, all actors and actresses are younger which makes the scenes less realistic. But more or less a good film.
Parent Written byKLHerrmann September 28, 2014
Kid, 12 years old July 5, 2013

Iffy movie

This movie is just plain okay, nothing special. Good for younger audiences.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bytk42one March 20, 2013

Fights too fierce

I previewed this before showing to my 9 year old and glad I did. The fighting is intense at times and the actions of the boys is downright cruel in many cases. They didn't have to dial up the bullying so much to deliver what is a great message. Many boys will find themselves enjoying the fights without realizing they are supposed to be seeing how *not* to act. All that said, Jaden Smith was good and it was interesting having it set in China and displaying some of its culture.
Teen, 17 years old Written byTheTrillionaire January 28, 2013

This should be for teens.

This has kissing and language like a** several times and d****t once.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNLRicci January 21, 2013

Entertaining update of classic has some violence.

This update of the original includes some strong bullying. Also, the main character (Dre, played by Jaden Smith), gets badly injured in one seen. There is mild flirting and kissing, between two main characters, and a couple uses of "ass". Mr. Han (Jackie Chan) appears drunk in one scene. Despite this, he is a great role model, and he preaches good messages to Dre. Even the antagonist eventually makes peace with Dre. Great film for fans of martial arts films.
Kid, 9 years old December 20, 2012

I saw this movie with my mom at the 9:30 screening with my mom when I was 7

I definitely thought it was violent when I was 7 but now compared to like The Sixth Sense this wasn't violent at all. Language: about 4 uses of "Ass". Sex: Two 11 year old kids like each other and eventually kiss. (I don't think you should kiss anybody when you're just 11!) Violence: A lot of Martial Arts violence, Kind of like "Here Comes The Boom" except this is worse. Overall Good Movie, But too violent for kids under 6.
Kid, 9 years old November 3, 2012

look down

This movie was fine the only thing was the brawls between the kid and the chinese bullies. I Think this movie is pause for ages 8 and under and on for ages 10 and up.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 19, 2012

Love it!

This was a funny movie! It was also really action-packed! SO MUCH ADVENTURE! IT WAS AWESOME!
Teen, 16 years old Written byTotally500 August 14, 2012

The Karate Kid Is WOOHOO

Very good i like it only complaint is the running time
Teen, 17 years old Written bygoldenlion666 July 10, 2012