All member reviews for The Karate Kid, Part II

Excessive violence mars so-so sequel.

Kid, 10 years old March 29, 2011

Good movie eh

very great but Martin Kove looks just like my dad.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bycolten97 October 10, 2012

Kumiko and Daniel

As a huge fan of the Karate Kid trilogy, you'll have to excuse if I sound sentimental. I believe in my heart that in that parallel universe where our favorite characters from film still live, that Kumiko and Daniel would be together today. Either Daniel would have gone to Okinawa to be with Kumiko or Kumiko would have come to the States to be with Daniel. Of course, we learn in Karate Kid Part III that Kumiko decided not to go with Daniel back to California. But in my mind, this is insignificant and has no negative implication for their future. Sure, they both would have had relationships with other people. But having been through what they experienced together, they would not soon forget the bond between them. You wouldn't forget someone that saved your life? Compared to Ali from Part I and Jessica from Part III, it is more than apparent that Kumiko was the love of Daniel's life. Whether it be two years or ten years after the end of Part III, Kumiko and Daniel would have eventually reconnected and continued to live their lives together. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go crush a beer can on my forehead to reconnect with my masculine side.
Parent Written byConcernedParent916 August 19, 2013

Should Have Been Rated "PG-12," Not PG

The film is more violent than the original. The violence is excessive for a PG film, especially in two scenes. First, when Chozen and his friends tear apart Miyagi's property, Chozen attacks Daniel with a pitchfork, apparently intending to kill him. Second, toward the end, Chozen holds a switchblade to Kumiko's throat. He fights Daniel "to the death" in a bloody match, punching Kumiko in the process. *** Also, as stated by Donna Gustafson on the "Parent Previews" site, "... Violent depictions include belittling, bullying, taunting, death threats, car jacking, kicks to the abdomen and groin, punches, throws, choking and brandishing a weapon. These hand-to-hand conflicts lead to a woman being hit, bloody fists cut from smashing glass, and facial wounds. Property is vandalized as a form of blackmail. ... The demonstration of a defensive karate move almost results in impaling." *** The Motion Picture Association of America site says that "There may be depictions of violence in a PG-13 movie, but generally not both realistic and extreme or persistent violence." Although not "extreme or persistent," the violence is certainly realistic. Therefore, this movie almost should have been rated PG-13. Let's call it "PG-12." That would be consistent with Finland, Norway, West Germany, Iceland (video), South Korea, the Netherlands, and Portugal, which per IMDb all classified the movie as appropriate only for children at least 12 years old.
Written byAnonymous November 25, 2014

Good and milder sequel to classic movie is also a good pick for tweens

This sequel to a classic has violence, peril (a storm) and thematic elements but all in all its a classic sequel to a classic movie that is good for familes with tweens.