Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Kid Who Would Be King

"Goonie" meets "LOTR" in fun but sometimes scary adventure.

Adult Written byUKMumof2 February 21, 2019

Action, adventure and humour without any adult themes

This is a lovely movie that teaches kids about chivalry - respect for yourself and each other. It features lots of fighting and some very scary cgi monsters, which would terrify my 8yr old but less sensitive kids should be fine. The UK PG rating is due to it having no bad language or sex. More movies should be like this.

Adult Written byflicka2019 February 18, 2019

good children's adventure

If you liked this film then you'll love the books The Midwinter Child, The Sleeper in the Sea and The Tomb of The Queen, about a modern boy called Alex who inherits Excalibur and has to waken Merlin from his 1500 year enchanted sleep. All available on kindle.

Parent Written byLeesa Anne February 9, 2019

Great Movie

We enjoyed this movie and the message it provided.

Adult Written byPepperHead41 February 8, 2019

Adult Written byWard1120 February 5, 2019

Inappropriate images of the female body.

When Morgana is awakening she is naked under a bunch of vines. Too much is shown. I’m surprised this movie was given a PG rating. My daughter and I left the theatre before the movie was even half over. Waste of money. Very disappointing.
Adult Written byHeadRush1987 February 3, 2019

Awesome Movie!

I liked the movie. I saw it with my friend. Just the language though

Parent of a 9 year old Written byAnthony C. February 3, 2019

Exciting and Funny, but not for younger kids

This movie is very exciting but the demons are quite scary. Morgana is also very terrifying for younger kids. Merlin is naked which is funny and a bit inappropriate. As far as sword fighting is concerned, that would not be good for younger kids. Overall this film is absolutely amazing.- written by C. aged 9.
Parent Written byDadMan1 February 2, 2019

Wonderful Family Movie

Wonderful movie that contains positive messages throughout. A retelling of the Sword in the Stone, it manages to find a way to introduce current world problems (political instability, bullying, alcoholism, etc.). The special effects are great, the laughs are plenty, and it may just bring a tear or two - a definite recommend.

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byShannon D. January 30, 2019

My girls (6 and 9) loved it.

I was hesitant to take my girls (9 and almost 7) to see this after reading the reviews, but I'm glad I did. They both declared that they loved it. The younger one held my hand during the scary scenes, but she was never truly frightened. If your kids are OK with the Harry Potter films, then they will probably be OK with this movie. It's a fun hero's quest with positive messages.

Adult Written byzbo303 January 30, 2019

Exciting family movie

My two boys (ages 11, 9) really enjoyed the movie. The scariness factor was on pace with most animated Disney movies from the 90's (i.e. Aladdin, Hercules, etc.)... I am amazed that other reviews reported kids crying and getting upset. I guess some kids are a bit sensitive. My boys liked the exciting battle scenes and general theme of the movie. As an adult, it was an entertaining show. Had some influences of Harry Potter and the LOTR movies. I would recommend to all.

Adult Written byPLkmom January 29, 2019

A mix of GOT & Goonies but for kids

Brought my 7 & 4 year olds and they loved it. It was a little scary sometimes for my eldest (over the 4 yr olds head), but the creepy parts don’t last too long and the action picks up. There is violence. But the messages of this movie are so strong and such great lessons for kids: tell the truth, stick up for others, make your enemies your friends, be loyal. We really loved it!

Adult Written byFnafPlayer335 January 29, 2019

My brother favorite movie on his birthday

My family loved how the movie goes!

Parent of a 13 year old Written byell123 January 28, 2019

Family fun

This is an update of the Arthurian legend featuring a group of 12 to 14 year olds ho go on a quest and battle the wicked Morgana and her army of fiery knights. Thankfully free of any adult innuendo but has enough action, CGI and dialogue to keep grownups and teens interested. However the battles are violent in parts with some reasonably scary monsters and for that reason not suitable for under fives.

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byKieranu January 28, 2019

Slightly overlong but fun film

Bit of an over-extended riposte to Brexit Britain but the kids will enjoy it and has some good messages about bullying etc without being overly simplistic. It's a bit like an extended Doctor Who episode really but a little less scary for the little ones.

Adult Written bySomeSJW January 28, 2019

It attempts to introduce precocious and offensive material to young children!

This motion picture adaptation of the children's classic "The Sword in the Stone" contributes to the modern totalitarian ideology. This form of government is practiced in countries such as North Korea and Syria. Young children should not be exposed to ideas such as dictatorships at such a young age. These forms of governments are known for harsh laws that contradict the basic human rights laid out in the Bill of Rights. We cannot let this new generation experience the horrors of these vile governments. By not taking your child to this motion picture, you protect the integrity of this modern age.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byKaterenda January 27, 2019

Super fun but scarier than expected.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie as did my children, but I wished that the previews had showed more about the evil that the kids were fighting because we were not prepared for how scary it was. The scenes with Morgana and her demon army were quite frightening. My 8 year old was scared but ultimately enjoyed it. Could be borderline for sensitive kids that age. My 5 year old spent much of the movie burrowed on my lap (my mistake for not researching better, but I had just thought the movie looked fun in the previews). Fun movie with positive messages but just be careful with little ones! My 12 year old said it was one of the best movies she has ever seen ;)

Parent Written byDan G. January 27, 2019

Great movie for families without very young children

I took my family (myself, wife, and 14 year old daughter) to this movie and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. It was captivating from the start and it held my attention until about the last 5-10 minutes of the climax fight scene (the movie is a full 2 hours long). The movie is free of any bad language except for a few irreverent uses of God's name. There are no sexual situations, although the chief villain (Morgana) is shown a few times in a very form fitting 'root' outfit. No skin is shown (she is wearing a leotard thing that is covered in vines), but her natural female form (breasts, hips) is obvious, just as they would be in a one piece bathing suit. When Merlin arrives from the past as a high school aged boy, it is obvious that he made the trip without clothes and walks into a store to get some. There is no nudity in that scene, but the movie makes it clear he is naked before he gets clothes. Whenever someone has done, or is doing something bad, (primarily bullying) it is presented as a bad choice. A primary message in the movie is about the ability to overcome adversity by making allies out of your enemies. I would not recommend it for children who would be scared by the Dark Riders of the Lord of the Rings. The main bad guys of this movie are almost exactly like Ring Wraiths, and at one point many are literally sprouting out of the ground to come after the heroes and heroine. The main monster morphs into a pretty scary looking dragon like entity as well. Children differ on their proneness to being frightened, but I would estimate that most 10 year-olds will be able to handle the fear factor.

Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written bySusan L. January 27, 2019

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byMamaRo January 25, 2019

Just like the classic 80s kid-adventure flicks

This was a lot of fun for the adults and the kids enjoyed it too. Just like they said: Goonies meets LOTR + Time Bandits, Legend... you get the picture. Some corny elements but that felt just right in this flick.

Adult Written byCongostace January 25, 2019

Exciting, fun, and diverse - my kids loved it

Really exciting, terrific story, and good message. I'm sure we'll see it again.