All member reviews for The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Amusing documentary duel at the video arcade.

Adult Written byjoeysmom411 April 9, 2008

Life Lesson to be Learned...

I sat down to watch King of Kong with my two children, ages 11 and 13, only having watched the trailer online. Normally I would never do that, but I figured it was a documentary, so how bad could it be? My son is a video game nut, so I knew he would be intrigued by it, and I know what Donkey Kong is, so I'd be OK, but I wasn't sure about my daughter, age 11. I did have to explain some things to her, not about the gaming, but about the way the adults were acting. My 11 year old daughter was the first one to point out that the adults were acting like they were still in middle school! I have to agree. The contestants in the tournaments were catty, back-biting, jeaslous, and egotistical. I thought the important lesson for her was, some people never outgrow this, and she needs to be prepared for it. Behavior like this occurs in all kinds of jobs, whether you're a secretary in an office, or a judge in a courthouse. The best remark she had was, "But they are grown ups, why are they acting like that? It's a video came, for crying out loud!!!" The film itself was brilliant in showing just exactly that point. The grand poo-bah of Donkey Kong was basking in the glow of something he accomplished more than twenty years ago. He still had the same hair cut! The challenger was in the here and now. He was willing to sacrifice whatever it took to beat the poo-bah, and he did it. David versus Goliath. Classic tale, same ending. Life lesson learned.
Parent Written byMixyplixl January 3, 2015

Fun and compelling true story about gaming, competition and life!

I had thoroughly enjoyed this film some years back and suddenly realized it was perfect to show my 9-year-old who is both obsessed with video games and pinball, as well as really into stories about competition like Akela and the Bee. The story takes an inside look into Donkey Kong competition world (circa 2004), at which time a new upstart, Steve Wiebe, is about to shake things up, and becomes champion against all odds. The thing is, he is going against the current, arrogant champion, Billy Mitchell who has been resting on his laurels for 20 years, and the video game establishment supports Billy at Steve's expense through most of the film. By being sincere and persistent, Steve is able both to create a new record, and to win over those who had been against him, through the sheer power of persistence and by being a nice guy, no matter what. Great storytelling that brings both laughter and tears (who would have thought, from a movie about video games?) Sometimes it is easy to forget this is a documentary, as the characters could have been out of "central casting," and it is completely engaging. You should know that the PG-13 rating is ridiculous, and is only based on some cussing and a few shots of racy (but tame) photos.