All member reviews for The Kings of Summer

Funny teen coming-of-age story has swearing, some drinking.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byslonnett June 30, 2013

Should've been PG-13, a good movie to watch with your teen

I really don't understand why this movie got an R rating... aside from the language and scenes where the main characters are drinking one bottle of beer or puffing twice on a cigar, I was pretty surprised that it wasn't PG-13. This movie was definitely a PG-13. It was funny, honest, entertaining, a little cliche, but overall - a good movie for parents to watch WITH their kids. It reminded me of Stand By Me meets the Goonies. Some awkward dialogue but pretty entertaining without pushing the limits too far - I have seen WAY worse content in a PG-13 movie than in this one. On the heels of some discipline issues with our own 14 yr. old son, we saw the movie trailer and immediately related to the storyline - laughing at the ridiculousness of teenagers who think they've got it all figured out... and the idea that they could realistically go live in the woods just to escape their "awful" home life. So, after the smoke cleared here at home, we were considering taking our son to see the movie with us (his first R-rated theater movie), and we found ourselves wondering if he would view the runaway concept as more desirable than being stuck home and grounded with us! Well, we needn't have worried. He immediately found the humor in the accurate portrayal of how parents are seen by their struggling-to-grow-up-too-fast teenage children and related to the main characters while still seeing how far-fetched their runaway plan was. We, as parents, immediately recognized the love and good intentions and struggles that parents feel when trying to keep in touch with their teen's lives as they are growing up and gradually separating from home. It was good - we all enjoyed it and talked about how hard it is for both of us to navigate the period between childhood and adulthood - and that sometimes, kids do really dumb things, and sometimes, parents really DO know what's best for their kids!
Teen, 13 years old Written byElizabeth Blue September 25, 2013

A Hilarious, Well Made Coming-Of-Age Film

This movie is not only hilarious and extremely clever, the positive messages and role models way overhaul any bad messages in this movie. If anything, it's just realistic. There is some, not a lot, but some swearing. There's drinking, mention of masturbation, and a whole ton of interest in girls. But there's nothing in this movie any more vulgar than what teenagers are hearing in school every day, and I honestly think it would be appropriate for anyone over the age of 13. The "overbearing parents" in this movie are actually, literally overbearing, and don't just give kids unrealistic ideas of what a parent should do. It's a hilarious coming of age movie with incredible writing and characters that are real and relatable and really good people to look up to or learn from their mistakes. It will certainly spark smart conversation among friends and family alike.
Teen, 16 years old Written byUnknownpearson June 1, 2013

Ya

Great but language like, f-k s--t a-s are use many time and. There is some sexuality like a mom mention a girl on a bikkinie . Lots of teen drinking . It's all in there .its suitible for 16 +
Adult Written bywonder dove October 19, 2013

Cute tale for teens & above.

I saw The Kings of Summer and thought it was a cute & quirky flick. It could pass for a PG-13 rating if they toned down the coarse language. It features high-schooler Joe (Nick Robinson) who's tired of being told what to do by his unhappy father (Nick Offerman) who seems to have anger issues. Joe's best friend Patrick (Gabriel Basso) can't bare to live another minute with his annoyingly weird parents who are on his case almost constantly. The two decide to build their very own house in the woods along with a strange kid named Biaggio (Moises Arias). They have fun living it up, killing their own food for survival and playing midnight monopoly. When Joe's crush, a cute blonde, is invited to spend a night with the crew in their newly built house, Joe learns that his summer isn't quite what he hoped it would be and must adjust to new changes. The language has much cursing including many f-words (more than 10!), some uses of sh*t, hand gestures (3), some racial remarks, lots of crude name calling words like fatty, @ss, lame, idiot...etc and a character referrers to his father's girl friend as "spider woman you found in a gutter". Violence includes a snake attacking a boy and then biting him, he's rushed to the hospital but recovers. A boy vomits. A character traps and kills a rabbit for food, you see him skin it (gory with blood) and the scene is rather disturbing for animal lovers. A character insults a teen girl because of his jealousy, she appears hurt. A dream sequence of a boys father swings knives around intending to kill two characters but ends in a video game-like death. Another dream sequence about blowing up a girl's unfaithful boyfriend. An outburst between friends resulting in throwing chairs and pushing each other. A teen boy shows hives on his stomach. Teens play violent video games. Sexual content has some flirting, a kiss between a teen couple, an adult couple make-out heavily by the water, she's in a bikini, they get interrupted. A father makes a false assumption about masturbation and later one comedic joke, a shirtless teen. Plenty of teen drinking and one cigar scene. Pretty tame for 14+, it depends on the viewer because the language is mainly the only issue really.
Parent of a 12, 12, and 14 year old Written byEveG June 20, 2014

Great little surprise of a movie. Beautifully filmed and very funny. The R rating is nonsense. Much more thought-provoking than most pre-teen and teen movies. Scene killing the rabbit (for food) could be disturbing to some but the character felt bad about it as well. This movie had some swearing but pretty minor. Did show kids drinking as a fun activity but part of the "plot". Great movie to watch with your kids. A bit of a Wes Anderson style of directing in terms of characters and humour. Laughed out loud a few times. I think this movie would be appropriate for 13/14 and up with parental guidance.
Parent of a 12 and 17 year old Written bywittlemama June 14, 2014

One of my favorite movies

We happened to pick this movie one night when we were trying to find a movie we could "all" watch. This movie was so funny we were saying some of the lines all week. It is R but could be PG-13, it has a bit of language, beer drinking, cigar smoking, and some sexual references, but nothing graphic. While the movie is mostly about the two guy friends - and what makes them nuts about their parents - it is not just a guys movie, girls would like this movie too. It is very funny and I could see these situations happening in families.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 February 4, 2014

One of the funniest teen movies you'll see

I'm a sucker for absurd humor, and this movie had it in cloves. I laughed so frequently in this movie I had to strain to hear the next line of dialogue after the joke several times. While it may lack credibility, if you suspend disbelief that this could actually happen (as a matter of fact look at it more like a summer fantasy than something that might really happen) you'll have a blast with it. It has some positive messages for father/son bonding as well. Nick Offerman destroys in his role as Joe's father, and Moises Aries was the funniest thing I've seen in a movie for a while!