All member reviews for The King's Speech

Kid, 12 years old August 11, 2011

Witty, Funny, Entertaining, Moving,

One of the best pictures of the year. Excellent cinematography, very entertaining, has some very good messages. It should be PG-13. This movie was rated R because of language (a one-minute scene that's it. There's just one more after that). I think it should also depend on word delivery. The language scene was comedic. It should have been R if they used language to call each other that and be rude to each other. Tied with "The Social Network" and "Inception" as my personal best movie of the year.
Kid, 12 years old July 31, 2011

Great, inspirational film!

This is a really inspirational movie which shows both adults and children that they should never give up and not to let disabilities/problems get in the way of achieving anything. It is quite a grown up film and not particually funny so younger children would probably not find it very interesting, however it is a great film for sophisticated and mature children aged 11/12 and up. There is also a scene where the King is asked to shout as many swear-words as he can, which would not be apropriate for kids unless they are old enough to know not to repeat them. Overall it is a great film and is an absolute must-see for adults and older children! :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byos98 July 25, 2011

Very good movie DOES NOT deserve R rating

I think anyway 11 and up can see this. It is a very good movie that has good role models and a good message. It shows that people from different backrounds (the king and the poor speech therapist) can help each other out. The language is not bad at all because it's all used for the story. To tell you the truth i hear worst at school!
Kid, 11 years old July 12, 2011

FANTASTIC MOVIE!!!!!!

This is probably the most superb movie ever created!!!! There is no sexually content at all, and the messages are wonderful. The one part were the king says a swear every other word is not said vulgarly, it is part of his speech therapy because he doesn't stutter when he swears. GREAT MOVIE!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymiapie456 July 5, 2011

Great Movie

This was a really good movie. There was that one scene with the big stream of swear words, but mature 12 year olds and up would know not to go around saying those words all the time. It was an inspiring movie, and I definitely recommend it.
Kid, 12 years old July 2, 2011

Phenomenal Film made for more mature Kids/Teens

The King's Speech was a truly Powerful movie full of friendship and the strength to overcome your fears. In this case, the main character, George, had a fear of public speaking because of his stuttering problem. He came across a professor named Lionel Logue. Lionel wasn't the easiest to work with but the two developed a friendship that made them feel more secure. This is a wonderful story but maybe a bit confusing for younger ages. I loved this movie and recommend it to anyone who appreciates history and stories of friendship and trust. However, I do not agree with the R rating as there is no blood and gore but language is an issue in one seen. Not a necessary rating.
Kid, 12 years old June 20, 2011

Great Historical/Educational Movie!

Okay parents, don't let the title throw you off. This is not a boring movie that drones on about some stuttering king. This movie is fun and brilliant. That's why it won Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Director. The one and only reason this is R is the language. But, it is not directed at anyone, nor is it meant to offend anyone. He uses foul language to stop stuttering, because he doesn't stutter when he's angry or cursing. About 12 or more f bombs and more. If your kid can handle bad language and know not to repeat it, I strongly recommend picking this up!
Kid, 12 years old June 14, 2011

boring for most but great for me and others who dont get bored from historic but suprisingly thrilling movies

well this is one of my favorite movies af all time ok mabey i have a couple of favorites but still this one stood out i think this should have won more than just 4 acadamy awards but you can not go wrong with this film i watched this with my mom in theaters and we both loved it when we cam out she told me it should have only been pg-13 and that there are movies that are pg-13 that have way more language than this i soooo agree with her when we got it on dvd we let my 9 year old brother watch it so yeah but it will bore anyone under 11 it might even bore some older teens
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieGuy23 June 10, 2011

The King's Speech is one of the year's best

The King's Speech is about a king with a stuttering problem. Did I think walking into the theater that the movie would be this good? No. But it was THAT good, fueled by great work from Colin Firth and Geoffery Rush. Tom Hooper shoots it in an odd way that adds to the experience. Note to parents: Mostly, the movie is G-rated, but there is a torrent of f--ks in one memorable scene that is not appropriate for young kids. Besides that, a fine film.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 May 29, 2011

Only Rated R for "some language". Nothing to worry about, except when King George drops the F-bomb 11 times in one scene (an estimate; who would even want to count?).

[NOTE: The film is only rated R for one reason: In one scene, the speech therapist figures out when the king says "bloody" in a sentence fluently that swearing helps his stuttering, so the therapist encourages King George to swear. He starts with "bugger" (the British F-bomb), but the therapist says anyone can do better than that. Then, the king lets out a stream of three or four "s--t"s. The therapist then asks if the king knows the "F" word (the king at first comically claims he doesn't), but thus leads to a stream of about 11 shouted F-bombs. The king finally ends the memorable and shocking scene by calmly sighing and uttering the word "t-ts".] My rating: PG-13 for language.
Kid, 11 years old May 29, 2011

should've been PG-13!

Great movie! I personally think that this could've been rated PG-13 (depending on what different families are worried about). The things to worry about are mostly strong language (the F-word is used a lot) and smoking. It has good messages about overcoming fears, and the King is an excellent role model.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLeaxoftheUnderworld May 22, 2011

All because of my favorite scene

I really don't see any problem with kids(like in their preteens) watching this. I mean, if that scene wasn't there(which should never happen, because that is my favorite part) it could've been PG-13
Kid, 10 years old May 17, 2011

great for adults

I thought it was great but manly for older kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySafemancam001 May 11, 2011

A very good movie, even teens would enjoy it

This is one of a few new serious movies that I've really wanted to see. It was a very good movie at that. I would only be concerned with language. The soon-to-be king has a seen where he shouts s*** and f*** repeatedly. Once the movie is over you might feel like you learned something, or may feel in spired. It's a good movie. You should watch it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycoralinefan02062009 May 6, 2011

The King's Speech is worth listening too

I heard lots of good things about this movie but it just didn't interest me at all. I then saw it, well, I will say I was pleasantly impressed. This movie has a good message, and overall the story is great, acting is perfect (especially Collin Firth). Some language in it, but great movie.
Kid, 10 years old May 6, 2011

for Adults and teens

I LOVED it. good movie for adults and teens. Plus it has lots of srong Language.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJoe_P_Fischer April 19, 2011

Great for all audiences.

This movie is one of the best movies I've ever seen in a theater. It shows positive messages of Lionel Logue helping the King get his voice ready for the speech he must do. A problem is, King Bertie has some disabilities in his speaking. The main reason it was rated R was for a scene where Lionel tries a method of getting Bertie to speak and not stammer, by swearing. Of course, Bertie is only using it to help, not to destruct it. It shouldn't have been rated R just for something as harmless as this. At the end, Lionel helps him out during his speech and they become best friends.
Kid, 11 years old April 19, 2011

im 11 and i just saw it, pretty good movie! WHY WAS THIS RATED R?!?!?

Teen, 14 years old Written byNewYorkTimes April 19, 2011

Perfect

Awesome overall film!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMusicManShades April 12, 2011

Great drama, completely fine for any teen who has heard someone cuss in their lifetime :D

The reason this is rated R is for the sole purpose of demographical audience. The movie is aimed at adults, and some adults will turn away from a movie if it has a lower MPAA rating, thinking it's a "teens' movie". This is an great historical drama and will definetely lift your spirits. As mentioned before, there's an important scene where the king lets out around 15 cuss words in one little 2 minutes, but it's for the sake of the plot. My MPAA rating: PG-13 for some strong language.