All member reviews for The King's Speech

Teen, 17 years old Written byJnic April 22, 2011

Fantastic movie - not worthy of R rating

Don't let the R rating scare you. This movie is fantastic. Apart from a few brief scenes including intense language (though it is used in the context of the story and not out of vulgarity), this movie is absolutely appropriate for young teens. Although there is a significant amount of profanity used, these scenes are vital to the film's message and are far less worse than what I personally hear every day in school. The messages and highlights in this movie far outweigh the questionable material. PG-13 would have been a more accurate rating. Absolutely a movie worth watching.
Kid, 12 years old April 22, 2011

A great movie that isn't boring

I thought this movie was going to be so boring the moment the movie started. I was proved wrong! I loved this movie and Geoffrey Rush acted so well! The movie could be really boring for young kids, but kids nine and older will like it a bit more then 8-. Colin Firth (The Duke of York then to king) doesn't stutter as much when is angry. So, he talks clearly when he swears, and he says a good amount of swear words. Overall- It should be PG-13 Maybe even PG, Not R. He just swears throught the movie like bloody etc. mild language He just goes on a rampage saying f--- bas---- etc. I reccommend this movie -Coffeeguy
Teen, 14 years old Written byilovevintage April 30, 2011

Shouldn't Have Been Rated R

First off, I think that "The King's Speech" shouldn't be rated R. PG-13 would have been fine, but it's just because of some vulgar language (including the "F-Bomb") that it was given the rating of R. Aside from that, this movie is absolutely wonderful. All of the characters are so relatable and the acting is superb. I am 14 years old and I saw it, and I think most other kids around my age could see it too. Some of the intense stuff may go over younger kids' heads so I think the youngest age to see it is 13. Such a wonderful movie, and such a wonderful message!
Kid, 11 years old March 16, 2011

Good Movie

I like this movie a lot. The only inappropriate part is the scene where he swears a lot. Good Movie
Parent of a 15 year old Written byTsion January 29, 2011

R Rated??? Hardly. More like a strong PG.

THE KING'S SPEECH is the reason the movie ratings system is ineffective. Ladies and gentlemen, this is a movie that you WANT your kids to see. It is inspiring, uplifting, positive, intelligent, and offers nothing but the best role models for teens. It encourages audiences to be confident with themselves and follow their dreams. It tells audiences that hard work is necessary to achieve your goals, but no task is unachieveable if you are dilligent. It paints beautiful, healthy portraits of friendship, marriage, and parental figures. Then, however, we get to the R rating, which is, to be frank, really stupid. The main character curses twice in the film (each outburst lasts fifteen seconds or less, and that is all the language in the film) because he doesn't stammer when he curses. In these outbursts, the "f" word is used about ten times, in a rushed, random manner as well as "d**n", "h**l", "b****rd", and "t*t"s. The cursing is quick, inoffensive, and isn't sexual. It could hardly have come in a more harmless context. Aside from the language, there is nothing at all objectionable in the entire film. No violence, and no sex. Despite this, however, no one under 17 can get into the film alone. Please, parents, don't let the rating scare you away from this movie. If kids want to see it, let them. Even encourage them to! They will leave uplifted and inspired. So will you!
Parent of a 9, 12, and 13 year old Written byGalVal January 17, 2011

Perfect for 12 yr olds and up

Great message. Great morals. It is rated R because of the cussing. I would rather my children watch this, than many PG13 shows that are too sexual, violent etc.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperman765 April 7, 2011

i rate this title ON for ages 11+

The good stuff * Messages: The film has a stirring message: Our biggest limitations are the voices in our head that remind us of all of our imperfections and failures. But they're only voices, and our will is stronger than our fears. The film has some classist overtones, but they’re placed within historical context. * Role models: The three main characters serve as strong role models: Lionel Logue, though somewhat untraditional in his approach to speech therapy (at least for the movie's time period), believes in himself so much that he’s able to help others do so, too. The queen is a lesson in being supportive without condescension, and King George VI is a man not to be denied his life because of his past. What to watch out for * Violence: A character struggles with his temper, which is fueled by frustration. * Sex: A king abdicates from the throne because of his involvement with a divorcee. There are references to her “talents” behind closed doors. * Language: Strong language includes “bas-ard,” “bloody,” "t-ts," "d--n," "a-s," "h--l," and “bugger.” And in one memorable scene, a man yells out a stream of words like “s--t” and “f--k.” * Consumerism: Not an issue. * Drinking, drugs, & smoking: Some social drinking (sherry, whisky, wine).
Kid, 12 years old March 15, 2011

If they know it, they can see it.

This movie is really good!! The reason I put 11 and up is if they klnow the word f--k. If they know that word, then they can see it. But, it is really good!!!!!! Don't not see it or your life will never be complete.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written bypwi11iam2 February 24, 2011

Ignore the "R" rating

Why this movie is rated "R" is beyond me. This is a PG-13 movie that your 12 year old should be able to see. The "R" is probably due to couple of scenes where the "F" word is repeatedly spoken. But mind you it is not gratuituous cursing. It is used to demonstrate an improtnat point of the movie. The positive messages in this movie far outweigh the fould language concerns. One of the best message movies about perserverance in overcoming personal obstacles. Also a history lesson. Excellent film.
Parent Written byImjustsaying February 19, 2011

Good for older kids

Saw this with my almost 13 year old son. It was very good. He did seem a little bored here and there but said he enjoyed it. I really liked it. The time went by fast. I kind of expected it to be different but it was very good and Colin and Geoffrey were the best.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bycandymolly1 February 17, 2011

very moving story about a sensitive man who was thrown in at the deep end because of the selfishness of his brother who gave up the throne for the sake of a horrible woman. But, with the love of his wife (the late queen mother) overcame his stammer and went on to be a great king loved by a whole nation. great moving tale portrayed by three great actors.
Parent of a 7, 11, and 13 year old Written bymom-o-3 February 3, 2011

Don't hesitate to take your family to see this one.

This was a wonderful movie my daughters and niece (ages 10, 11 and 13) enjoyed, too. This is the craziest R rating i have seen in my life - there is definitely something wrong with the rating system - i would have rated this PG and wouldn't hesitate to take my 7 yr old to see it. Not a bad message to be had, unlike most PG and PG-13 movies out there. What a shame. A sweet movie about overcoming challenges, beautifully acted and simple.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byAHH January 30, 2011

Don't miss this great message - bad language is an explainable tradeoff

This is a great movie with excellent messages for all of us. There is nothing other than two scenes with bad language that justify it being rated R. All in all it is a real shame in my opinion that an excellent, true, historical movie is rated R for this reason, when other terrible movies (like Little Fockers) are rated PG-13 even though the subject matter is outrageously inappropriate for children! I understand the rules require the "F-word" merits the R rating, but overall this is a terrible tradeoff.
Adult Written byShivs January 2, 2011

Excellent film is inspiring and a must-see

The King's Speech is a superb film which is full of positive messages and inspiring characters. I've seen in twice already and think the R rating is a shame considering the value of the film. The King's Speech has an amazing cast and is shot beautifully, all in all creating a wonderful movie experience.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThegamingPirate August 19, 2015

A good movie to watch

This movie is worth watching. It has good messages and good role models. The only thing that I can tell that made this movie get an R rating is the language. There are some f words, and s words but not that many. I think it would be okay for a 10 year old to watch this.
Adult Written byzeekattacklee July 1, 2015

Kings Speech review..

This was a very interesting film.. The film does have a couple of scenes where the F-word is muttered for him learning how to speak.. Otherwise, It isn't a film I would worry too much about, other than the language and what situations are going on.. Other than that, a great film for mature teenagers and adults..
Teen, 14 years old Written byProjektor June 13, 2015

One of my favorites of all time. Gret story, great actors!

This movie have very intense atmosphere and some emotional moments.
Kid, 8 years old June 10, 2015

Boring, lame mature drama has no swearing at all but has some smoking.

My rating:PG for smoking.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycrazyaspie34 May 15, 2015

Really good history drama!

This is a great film. It teaches you about the war, as well as the situation in the royal family at the kings death. There is a scene about the complicated marriage of prince Edward and a socialite, that might not be good for youngsters but teens, definitely!
Adult Written byLowe's man January 30, 2015

serves as an inspiration

The ascension of King George VI to the throne was unexpected. At this moment he felt that he needed to overcome not 1 but 2 problems- stuttering and the fear of speaking in public. He did an excellent job at his efforts. What makes this story all the more impressive is that he did it during a time of war. King George VI served as an inspiration to his people. In fact, he has inspired many from that day to this. I would highly recommend this movie for everyone, but especially from those who need to overcome a fear or other problem. The swearing, as has been noted, is very brief, is not directed at anyone, and is only done in anger. Moreover, the very little bit of swearing that occurs is not glamorized.