All member reviews for The Last Airbender

Boring -- but age-appropriate for young fans of the TV show.

Teen, 14 years old Written byDarkMidnight December 1, 2010

Horrible in Comparrison

I was saddened. No offence M. Night. The acting was horrible and it sounded like they were reading streight off of the script without stop. Noah Ringer showed a tad of potental I admit, his acting was good in some places, but the results still were a downer, the boy hardly smiled and his air bending looked like he was pretending to be an octopus. Katara was always so emotional, and she seemed more like a little girl than the 'motherly' figure. 'Soeka' (or as I call him) Soaks all of the fun out of everything, didn't match Sokka at all, he was FAR too serious, he always looked so angry and he hardly said ANY funny lines. And for Zuko, they must realize he growl in EVERY sentence he said in the cartoon, in the movie he sounded like he yelled everything. 'Eroh' I must say was a promising actor, but he wasn't as layed back, but the actor wasn't too bad. Although they need a chubbier actor, excuse me saying so, but Iroh was short and fat, not tall and skinny. None of the characters looked themselves, Aang sort of did, but not really, it looked like they obviously shaved his head. Katara and Sokka were Innuit, not pure as snow white, they could have hired African American's even for that role. The Fire Nation was Eastern Asian at least, not Middle Eastern. Especially Zuko in the show, he looked more Asian than most of them. As for the Earth Kingdom, they should just have all Asian actors for that one, not just TWO. They made Haru a little boy, and at the end, the girl that plays Azula is in her twenties, when Azula was only 14 years old, like Katara. If they could find someone around Katara's age to play the role, they can find a young girl that looks like Azula ('I' even look like Azula!) The affects were decent, but they were moving far too slow, they could have just rolled out of the way! The thing with the Fire benders needing a 'source of fire' is silly, if that was true, I don't think they would have gone as far as they did in the war. The people that were 'bending' looked more like they were just moving their arms all over, it hardly matched. You just couldn't relate to any of the characters, you could hardly grow on them. The set just seemed... cluttered. Little fun. Ozai didn't look scary, the characters look nothing like they should have, the names were said wrong, Appa looked like he was from "Where the Wild things Are" while Momo (his name was never said) looked like he came out of a video game. If they mess up Azula and Toph, I'm dropping it completely.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan September 30, 2014

The Last Airbender movie review

"The Last Airbender" was absolutely horrible. I was just amazed by how bad this movie was. The movie is based on a TV show which is 10,000 times better than this piece of crap. Everything with this movie is bad. There is not one good thing about "The Last Airbender". The acting was by far the worst thing I have ever seen in a movie. The actors were amateurs who had no idea what a movie was. The plot was handled in such a boring way. The TV show had a fast-paced plot. This movie was just boring. There are so many stupid things about this disaster other than the acting and the synopsis. For example, the air karate is horrible. The air karate is handled so badly. The action in this movie is stupid as all hell. The lead role was bad. Noah Ringer is a bad actor and so is all his supporting actors. The villains are so stupid. They are procrastinators who are idiotic as hell. This movie lacks another big thing that makes a good movie. It is called a screenplay. I'm pretty sure M. Night Shyamalan doesn't know what a screenplay is judging by how bad this movie was. I don't know what the hell M. Night Shyamalan was thinking in his tiny mind. I respect directors who try their best but the movie turns out being bad. Shyamalan wasn't even trying. He wanted money. He knew that "The Last Airbender" would earn lots of cash because kids loved the show. So, he decided to make the biggest piece of crap ever made in the history of cinema without even trying. I would cut up his film-making license right in front of his face. I remember myself as a nine-year old walking out of the theater so disappointed. I don't remember being more disappointed since 2008 when "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" was unfortunately released. "The Last Airbender" should have been called "The Last Piece of Garbage M. Night Shyamalan Will Ever Make". Anyone who tells me "The Last Airbender" was a good movie has to go to a psychologist. It pains me to give "The Last Airbender" one out of five stars. It should get no stars because there is nothing good about it. This movie is the absolute worst movie ever made. Also, it is my least favorite movie of all time. Because it is so bad, I think of "The Last Airbender" as a curse word and insult. In my thirteen years of watching movies, I have never seen a movie that was so horrendous.
Kid, 12 years old December 25, 2010

Serious Benders will be dissapointed.

I watched this as a fun-flick, since I knew they were more than likely going to mess up, and I was still a little shocked by the inconsistancy. Since I know no one will be reading this to read me ranting about those details that were missed in the film from the actual show, I'll cut to the chase. First, the acting. It was ok, except for one guy. Zuko. He was an absolute ham! A tip for anyone reading who want to act or direct in a movie one day; just because the character is confused and angry does NOT mean that he should yell and shake every chance he gets. Now for the film work. I love close-ups. They show you the character's true emotions! Now, when you do close-ups in almost every shot just for the fun of it, then I get upset. Now, most importantly, the Bending. It was accurate, and did incorporate many martial arts movements from the shows, but there was something missing. Maybe I just liked the cartoon bending more because it was so fuid and cool, whereas these were sometimes choppy and awkward. Overall, If you want to take your kids out to see this, alright. Just be prepared to explain the entire movie to them, seeing as they assumed everyone watched the series and went on with the film that way. If you are a serious Avatar fan, see it for the Banding and maybe just to see your favorite characters on the big screen. Just be ready to rant later about how many parts it missed. Honestly, if the people who made this had put half as much effort and time into it as those who made films like Lord of the Rings and Star Wars prequels, they would have nailed it. Sadly, they did not. Thanks for reading!
Parent of a 2 year old Written byMom2Peanut November 8, 2010

Just awful all around

Really disappointing! I was excited because I liked the series, but this movie seemed like it was missing huge chunks. The acting was awful and went from low action to high emotion in seconds for seemingly no reason?
Kid, 12 years old May 31, 2013

*sobbing*

THIS IS NOT AVATAR. If you want your kids to watch a smart cartoon, buy them the series. Not this. Showing your child this horrible film is the biggest attempt at pandering you could ever do.
Adult Written bymimijunebug April 21, 2013

I hated it.

Very dissapointing. Worst movie ever. It was very aggressive. Too old for anyone younger than 11.
Adult Written byMaffers March 14, 2012

Be careful with this film.

This film is potentially dangerous for children with serious asthmatic symptoms, as I nearly died laughing at the awful acting and script. Special effects did nothing to cover up the nonsensical plot. If you want your child to succeed in school, do not let him/her see this film. It has the potential to lower intelligence. Suicide contemplation is also a common side effect after struggling through 90 minutes of this horror. Other rare but serious side effects include: Irregular bowel movements, loss of appetite, depression, migraines, and the inability to smile. P.S. These rare but serious side effects are not rare at all. All of these will happen to you, your children, and your childrens' children if you allow them to watch this. Please, I beg of you, avoid at all costs. In fact, now that I think of it, this movie may be created by enemies of the human race as a new form of multi-media warfare to weaken us before the real invasion begins.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCriticalMovieRater01 October 9, 2011

No, no, no, no, no, no, NO!

Don't bother all who loved the TV Show. It will ruin it for you. They pronounced all of the names wrong, they named "Aang" "Ung" in the movie, the movie went too fast, it was just awful. It is on my "Top 10 Movies to Throw into a Fire Pit" list.
Parent Written byannabirdie October 7, 2011

Worth a watch for fans of the show

My kids loved the tv show and were really excited to see the movie. After reading the reviews I braced myself for boredom and was very pleasantly surprised. For fans of the show who really know the characters and storyline this movie was a lot of fun. The actors portrayed the characters much the way they appeared In the show ( there were cartoons after all - we should not be expecting academy award performances!). I recommend it, my kids really enjoyed seeing their favorite scenes acted out by real actors!
Teen, 17 years old Written bySpaceMarine May 27, 2011

M Night Shyalaman has destroyed my childhood.

This... this is just bad. I write this review with tears in my eyes at the horror that has been wrought upon our beloved cartoon, which is a work of art by all rights. This movie is absolutely atrocious, just so bad that it actually induces laughter at its sheer awfulness. The dialogue is something my five-year old cousin would probably be disappointed with, the plot is the most trite, unoriginal stuff ever with elements from LoTR, and star wars among many, many others, and the acting, dear god what acting? the characters register zero stage presence at all, telephoning their lines in? more like telling their agent to text them in a week later. Aang is a bright and exuberant little kid in the show who radiates energy. Here he's a wooden board. This movie is an emotional black hole of failure and is bland in every way, from its shockingly bad visuals to again, the characters. I might rate it an eight, but please reasonable parents, don't take your kids to see it, don't hurt their eyes and if they are fans of the series don't crush their hopes and dreams under the sheer weight of misery this movie conveys. Its that bad. Bye, I'm off to cry now and rant on less censored forums.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byMattmchugh February 5, 2011

Not a good movie -- especially given the excellent source material

As a huge fan of the excellent TV show this is based on, this muddled movie version really angered me. It's mind-boggling how writer-director Shyamalan, who once showed such promise, managed to butcher almost every element of character, story and mythology that made the show great. I'm still furious about it. However, taken unto itself, the movie is -- to be honest -- just mediocre. The dialog is dumb, the acting is wooden, and insight is non-existent. Still, it looks decent and has one or two action scenes that move along passably. Kids under 10 might find some entertainment in it. Other than a little stylized martial arts combat, there's very little in the movie that might upset anyone. EXCEPT for the fact it's a dull, clunky hack-job on a great, great show. Do yourself a favor: skip this movie and watch the first few episodes of the TV series. If that doesn't hook you, then the story won't do it for you. This movie, frankly, won't do it for anybody!
Adult Written bydarcywingo July 4, 2010
It was so refreshing to see a movie that kept me on the edge of my seat, but it did not contain some of the foul language, sex, nudity, innuendos, etc., that recent action movies seem to thrive in putting in. It is superb!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bymizti101 November 21, 2012

I wept.

If you watched and/or liked the show, you will sicken at this disgrace. Incredibly boring, and way too serious, I was very disappointed. Actually even if you haven't seen the show, don't bother. You will fall asleep. 100% positive.
Parent Written byResponsablePArentOf6 September 17, 2012

BORING

My youngest son fell asleep while watching this and I can't wake him up!!!!!!!!! p.s. hahahaha evil children all your oh man threads got closed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent Written byZhash August 29, 2012

This did not do the series any justice! It should not have been made!

The Last Airbender is Rated PG for fantasy action violence.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFirebending Prodigy June 13, 2012

DON`T SEE THIS HORRIBLE, BORING MOVIE!

This movie sucks! My friend watched 20 minutes of it online and nearly fell asleep. The bending was all wrong. It was too slow. So slow the target could have moved out the way before they even started bending. The actors don`t even look like the characeters in the series. They made Zuko yell every line he said. Sokka wasn`t even funny they made him really serious when he was the comic relief. DON`T SEE THIS MOVIE. DON`T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY!
Kid, 11 years old July 28, 2011

What the Crap! Waist of money and time, for you and the crew of the film.

If I took the cartoon and the movie and compared them, it would be like comparing Telitubbies(Movie) to Lord of the Rings(Cartoon). Storyline: TERRIBLE!! The one general problem with cramming a whole season of cartoons into an understandable one-and-a-half hour film is that you leave out LOTS of important characters, events, etc. I've seen movies where this happened, but this takes the Cheez Puff. They left out so much stuff that the movie barely related to the cartoon series. If M. Night seriously wanted this to be reasonably understandable, he would make it a TV series. And what's with the repronounciation of the characters' names? Sokka became Souka, Aang became Aung, Iroh became Eeroh. Pretty much the only character names that stayed the same were Katara and Zuko. If you've NEVER seen the show, this will make as much sense as why Sam doesn't like ham in Green Eggs and Ham. Special Effects' Quality: EVEN WORSE. Throughout the movie, it seems more like the "benders" are dancing than trying to throw the four elements (Water, Earth, Fire, Air) at each other. M. Night, this ISN'T a musical! And this is still like 80's special effects, like they would make an old Veggietales movie with. Get a new computer, you old dopes. One of the most disgracing scenes that proves my point is a scene where Aang, Katara and Sokka are in a Southern Earth village. When they turn back on the Firebenders, a group of ten people start dancing the same thing for fifteen seconds, and that gets a rock only three feet tall off the ground, and then it takes five MORE seconds to throw it. And I don't know if the flying rock was in slow-mo or not, but either way, it shows that the SFX crew is using a 1985 Macintosh. The ONLY times it has a little more "modern" SFX is when Aang's eyes and tatoos glow. If you like modern SFX more than that, then this will be a boring movie. Overall Quality: For those who haven't seen the cartoon but HAVE seen the movie, the movie is a complete disgrace compared to the cartoon series. If the director was smart, he'd separate it into parts( like the Lord of the Rings) instead of making a suckish 1 hour 43 min. waste of time. It also leaves out key characters like Suki, King Bumi, etc. As well as events that make the story make sense. Another thing is that the movie has 0% humor, and 100% suck. If you want a good, worth your money and time film that you and your kids will love, rule out this film. The cartoon series though is REALLY good.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieGuy23 June 12, 2011

Hopefully The LAST Airbender

What the heck happened to M. Night Shyamalan? After making The Sixth Sense, (an excellent thriller), Unbreakable, (a middle of the line suspense device), and Signs ( a good thriller), his career just took a downward spiral with the excuse of a film The Village then The Lady in the Water and The Happening ( which I did not see, but heard were horrible). Finally, he makes this, his first and hopefully his last non-suspense film. The actors are flat and laughable, the dialouge is mundane, and the direction is non-existant. Horrible is sugarcoating it. Note to parents: The film contains stylized action and a moody kiss appropriate for most kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRustyGirl February 6, 2011

Avatar Fans on Facebook don't call him Shamaladingdong for nothing

Worst movie I've ever seen. If I coud give it a 0/5, I would. Even if I hadn't been a big fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender, I would have utterly hated this movie. I tried not to be critical when I watched it, but it was so boring that I ended up pulling it to bits just to get some entertainment out of it. Characters were completely the wrong nationality. There was no humour, and I found the bending frustrating (for example, it took about 15 earthbenders stomping in unison to lift a medium sized rock and send it forward very, very slowly). Firebenders can rarely produce their own fire in the movie, which I find takes away from the whole fear-of-the-fire-nation factor. The only character that looked anything like their cartoon self was Yue, and she's only a minor character. Characters that seem unimportant at the start but are really important later, such as Suki or Bumi, don't feature at all. The movie doesn't exactly follow the original storyline. I have the entire 3 series of the cartoon on DVD, so I know what's supposed to be where, and what becomes important later on. They don't just skip parts, they replace things that, in my opinion, shouldn't be messed with (eg. instead of the current Avatar asking past Avatars for guidence, they ask spirits). Don't bother with the movie - just stick to the cartoons. The characters are better formed and there is a lot of comedy.
Adult Written bytrubo December 4, 2010

Worth watching and looking into the second movie which if the director learns character development and a longer movie will be d

Good movie lacked story development, but it followed the series perfectly which gave it its flavor and success that is needed for say a popular series to be a good movie.