All member reviews for The Last of the Mohicans

Violent historical drama. Not for young kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written byNahil June 27, 2012

Not as bad as people are making it sound.

I think I saw an edited version of this movie on Netflix, because the content is not bad at all. Most PG-13 movies, maybe some PG, have more violence and language then this movie does. The extent of the violence was the BRIEFEST scalping scene you will ever see, a man holding up heart, and the very beginnings of a man burned alive. Besides that there is shooting and some dead bodies. The language is rare and there is no sexuality. If your child's mature enough, I would even have a nine year old watch it with his parents. If not then I would say about 11 years old by himself. Hope this was helpful!
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion June 26, 2010

A Raw, Beautiful, Old-Fashioned Epic (Plus the Violence)

The bottom line about THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS is that you should watch it. Period. It is a high-spirited epic of adventure and romance in the tradition of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and DANCES WITH WOLVES. Not only is it fun to watch, but it is very poignant and moving (plus, it has spectacular cinematography and gorgeous music). But the question you're asking right now is, is it okay for kids? The answer is no. The movie earns its R-rating for violence, and definately should not be shown to anyone under the age of 13 or 14. However, as far as R ratings go, this one is pretty tame. Violence pervades the movie, with three large battle sequences that feature many people's deaths via stabbing, bludgeoning, and shooting. There is an immeasurable body count, however, most of it is bloodless (and average for any PG-13 movie). The exceptions: in a quick shot, a man is scalped (you see his white skull for a moment, with no blood). A man has his jaw broken quickly with a rifle, and you momentarily see his bloody face. A man is stabbed in the back, and he throat is slit (barely offscreen). A woman voluntarily falls to her death from a cliff. A man is bloodily impaled with a rifle, and a man has his heart torn out (the tearing is offscreen, but he later see the out-of-body heart). There is also a passionate kiss, but no sex. No language. Characters are brave and self-sacrificing.
Adult Written byTreyT January 11, 2011

Intense, and well it should be. Excellently moral, yet believable.

While this film was undeniably violent, it was not distastefully so in my opinion. War on the Colonial American frontier was a gentlemen's war in the European tradition, but it was a war for men and women of true character, strength, and grit. The morality of the good men and the treachery of the evil were clearly contrasted. The theme is plain: the right wins in the long run, but at a great cost. The frequent, but only occasionally graphic scenes of fighting and death of men and women on both sides serves to drive this message unforgettably. I personally found the suicide scene beautiful, but it may be grounds for a bit of discussion on the topic. Finally, there are in other reviews references to a man being burned at the stake. This is a terrible scene, but it is one of redemption, when one man sacrifices himself for another whom he has previously wronged. Again, the portrayal of the violence of the act lends the message immeasurably more force. The one kissing scene is rather long and highly-charged, but it, too, serves to advance the development of the characters without anything I thought gratuitous. It is about as intense as such a scene can get while the characters keep their eighteenth-century frontier clothing on, and might be a little passionate for a few viewers (I don't know your kid.), but, as I said, it's tasteful. Otherwise, the cinematography is generally excellent, Day-Lewis's character in particular stands out for his flawless acting (this is not to say the rest of the actors were lacking), and the plot is generally fairly believable. The thing as a whole is glorious, sad, and triumphant in a restrained and real way.
Kid, 12 years old April 15, 2010
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! This is the best movie in the world. I think so because i have always been interested in history but it was a good movie. If you are thinking about letting a child see it, i think that you might want to see if he or she is mature enough. There are many battles containing gun shooting, 1 scalping, (that you see) many hand-to-hand battles with tomahawks and various clubs. There is one bloody scene that shows an indian cutting out a british officer's heart out, But the only thing that you see is his leg twitching and then the indian holding the heart in the air. Other then that its pretty good, one sexy part when the frontiers man and a british officer's daughter but it wasnt that bad no nudity nothting... Well i hope this review helped those wanting to see if last of the mohicans was good for them selves or their child.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bySonja2 December 4, 2009

Perfect for thirteen or older

I personally love this movie, any think any teen 13 and up should be able to handle the violence in it. Although anyone that is younger I might recommend skipping in two places in the film.
Adult Written bysarge123 June 12, 2015

Beautiful film features extremely brutal violence. 15+

The film's brutal violence features a man's heart being cut out, a scalping and various bloody shootings/stabbings.
Parent Written byPredatorman June 3, 2014

STUNNING MOVIE IN EVERY ASPECT

I absolutely loved this movie, and if you don't you have no taste in movies.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 26, 2010
Great movie for adults. Very violent. There's tons of killing, acts of betrayal, war, vengeance, and suicide. An emotional movie at times, but a great one for the right audiences.
Teen, 17 years old Written bycountrygurl9237 March 8, 2009

this is a crazy movie

i think it was an ok movie just a little weird, but it was something to learn from.
Kid, 12 years old February 14, 2009

WOW!!!

Excellent movie!!!! The battle scenes are pretty violent but I think teens can handle it. Probably better or 13. And up
Adult Written bycissykay April 9, 2008

For the fan of American history!

My 8 year old loves this movie, but my husband would fast forward through most of the intense fighting scenes. During the opening sequence the three characters are chasing a deer through the forest and Hawkeye shoots it. After killing the deer, they celebrate it's life and spirit, which for the true hunter, is what hunting is all about. The music is beautiful and I recommend buying the CD because it is so relaxing.
Teen, 15 years old Written byEM 127 July 26, 2016

great movie

its pretty violent but there is no swearing
Adult Written byLowe's man April 23, 2016

should've been rated PG-13

I don't see anything wrong with 12 year olds watching this movie. In fact, this movie should've been rated PG-13 instead of R. That's because the violence is bloodless and nongraphic, not to mention tame, especially when compared to most of today's war movies. Even suicide is something that junior high students have heard of. This could prompt a discussion, particularly when viewed in a classroom. They'll also learn something about the French and Indian War (which, of course, took place before the American Revolution). Moreover, the romance is tame, especially when compared to other movies of the last 35 or 45 years. At times the movie can be hard to follow, but again so are wars in general. The pace is slow but well worth it, not to mention well-acted.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAstroPhysics February 27, 2016

Nice movie, I enjoyed it.

I really liked Last of the Mohicans. The plot was slow, but very exciting. This movie is about a man (who goes by the names Hawkeye and LongRifle) who is adopted by the mohicans when his dad is killed and has been raised among them. He falls in love with the daughter of a military officer and tries to save her when she is kidnapped by a hostile tribe. It is a beautiful romantic adventure, but it does encompass a lot of violent scenes and acts. A man is burned alive and then shot in the head, and a girl jumps off of a cliff, killing herself, instead of being a slave to the hostile tribe of native Americans. The movie is intense and quite dramatic, and is full of interesting plot twists. A lot of sadness is also in the film, with a man being burned alive to save his girlfriend, and a lot of death and horrible things happening to people. Despite all of this, I think a twelve-year-old could easily handle the violence and sadness that this movie contains. The violence should not be worried about as much as the emotional sadness, that is the thing that could worry some families.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySpencer15 July 11, 2015

Mohicans

This movie was not that violent there were only two very bloody scenes one where an Indian takes out a man's heart and one where an Indian is brutally killed with a stick and a small axe. Other than those scenes the movie was not to bloody. I did not enjoy this movie too much.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJasonMovie July 30, 2014

Although the movie was violent it was great

The movie The Last of the Mochicans was great. It featured repetitive action which kept my interest up. Age wise the movie was very violent, which included lots of blood and gun fights. There is a little sex but nothing major.
Teen, 14 years old Written byShamefulEnglishman January 19, 2013

An enjoyable movie, with lots of gore.

I first watched this when I was around 9/10, even then the brutal violence did not bother me, however I recently showed the climatic duel to two of my friends (aged 14 & 16) and they both found the gore to be rather disturbing (and they watch violent movies such as Resident Evil). Some noticeable disturbing scenes include; include a man's heart cut out (off screen, but still pretty harrowing), a man being burnt alive, scalping on numerous occasions, a young girl jumping to her death and graphic wounds during battles. This is best for people who are not easily disturbed by blood and gore.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 November 3, 2012

masterful drama about the frecnh and indian war is brutal, violent

this grand, epic drama about the french and indian war does not deserve the R rating. the violence here is bloodless and not graphic. this film should get a PG-13. although there are some scenes of sometimes brutal action, this adventure is ok for older teens. as i said above, the violence is bloodless and not graphic, but there are several scenes of fighting, with beatings, clubbings, slicing, throat slittings, stabbing, shooting and fist fighting. a man is imoaled with a rifle, a man rips out another mans heart, (which is shown offscreen but we see the aftermath) and a supporting character gets tossed off a cliff. there is also a suicide.
Teen, 13 years old Written byShamester123 April 30, 2012

OK for 13 year olds

This is a great movie. I am 13 and I watched it a few months back. There is some moments of intense violence, but if your that does not effect your kid he/she should be able to watch the movie with no problems.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTodd Hewitt November 22, 2011

Intense, but good

Intense and violent, but it helps a lot with understanding the french and indian war. I'm in ninth grade and we're learning about it now, and my history teacher recommended this movie. But not for little kids.