Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Legend of Tarzan

Tarzan returns to the jungle in violent action-adventure.

Parent Written byDan G. July 3, 2016

Quite violent and some bad langauge. Anti-Catholic messages.

As CSM states, the movie is quite violent throughout. Battle scenes show people being killed, and there are other slaughters. There is also some instances of profanity and rude and crude language. The "non-graphic sex scene" mentioned by CSM is marital (Tarzan and Jane are actually married, hooray!), so not bothersome. The most objectionable thing to me and to possibly other Catholics is that the villain in this movie, characterized to be the most hateful, deceitful stooge there is, carries a rosary around in his hand all the time. And he uses it to strangle someone to death. I did not appreciate this fake connection at all. There is also an irreverent 'joke' about a priest in very bad taste.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byTheParentReveiwer July 2, 2016

Watch Jungle book instead!

Parent of a 8 year old Written byDasylviabella July 16, 2016

Love Scene

The love scene was a bit much for anyone under the age of 15.
Parent Written byFornshill July 6, 2016

Anti-Catholic/Christian

Horrid. When with my teen children and we walked out! Worst anti-catholic movie. Violent & bloody. We got a refund. Skip it!

Parent Written byFanBoyJosh314 July 3, 2016

Corrupt governments can be held accountable

In this telling of the familiar legend, Tarzan (Alexander Skarsgard) – or, rather, John Clayton III, the fifth Earl of Greystoke – leaves genteel London to revisit the Belgian Congo of his youth with his wife, Jane (Margot Robbie). He’s going as a trade emissary and doesn’t realize he’s being lured into a trap. Along the way, the couple – along with an American diplomat who has tagged along (Samuel L. Jackson) – find themselves the targets of various jungle animals as well as well-armed human mercenaries, led by the greedy and devious right-hand man to the Belgian king (Christoph Waltz). This movie is extremely violent, between massive amounts of gunfire and brutal brawls between Tarzan and his former gorilla brethren. Much of the animal action is beautiful and even adorable, but a lot of it is intense and frightening, and it surely will startle younger viewers. Jane also is in peril much of the time – a damsel in need of rescuing, despite her smarts and pluck. There’s also a love scene – or at least the suggestion that Tarzan and Jane are about to have sex, followed by the two snuggling in bed, basking in the afterglow. Fine for tweens and older.

Adult Written byJordiejord94 March 15, 2019

really good

Its an amazing film loved every minute of it

Adult Written byDeanna M. October 21, 2017

Best remake

This movie is one of the best remakes ever!

Parent of a 15 year old Written byKathy T. April 2, 2017

Ok for a 12+

Good movie for 12 and over
Parent Written byKatherine T. March 30, 2017

Ok for a 10+

Same like the Disney movie
Parent Written byMiLu3.14 January 13, 2017

Better than I thought it would be.

I give it an 18+ rating if you don't forward through the bad parts. I watched it with my 10 & 12 year old, but we forwarded it through the sex. This would be a perfect movie to watch with Vidangel. With Vidangel, I would have even let my 8 yearold sneak in. I hope Vidangel comes back soon. Then my family can watch more flicks together.

I loved the storyline. It was cool to see a different storyline. The CGI was amazing. The gorillas looked completely real. I had heard that it wasn't that great of a show. I think that my low expectations left me pleasantly surprised.

Parent Written byChar F. November 26, 2016

Education for the generation of our children

I already wrote a review, but apparently this forum doesn't allow good reviews to be used. Yes there was violence, but if you shield your children from the knowledge of conservation and slavery, two very real issues that still need to be recognized, then this generation will not be educated on the solutions that prevents history from repeating itself. I would venture to say the passion was shown in most every home with children watching and learning that he suffered an incredible amount of pain, violence and death, yet very young children were watching it. My point is that the passion was educational for those who did not know what he suffered; Tarzan is fictional, but the message of the extinction of animals and the cruelty of men being ripped from their families and forced into slavery is a present day event that our children need to be aware of. This is their future and they need to know it exist so that they are aware of the impact it will have on their lives .

Adult Written byGlenda S. November 25, 2016

Surpasses any Tarzan movie to date

It was in very good taste, has a great storyline that exalts the best in human interactions. A good moral outcome for children to see. Enjoyed watching it over and over. Actors are excellent. Cinematography is outstanding. Very well done. Looking for a sequel.
Adult Written byLynda M. November 20, 2016

Really is so much better than the critics' opinions! Talk about ripping something apart! The movie was fun, touching and exciting.

I'm a 67-year-old woman who was brought up on Tarzan movies. Don't listen to the critics, people! First of all, they compared it to The Jungle Book, but it's a completely different story! It really is good enough to stand on its own. (Shame on you critics - can't you just say that something was fun to watch?) This was a movie that kept my interest, was exciting, the scenery is absolutely amazing; I could go on and on how much I enjoyed it. I can't wait 'til it comes on cable tv so that I can watch it again!
Adult Written byPepe A. August 12, 2016
Parent of a 14 and 17 year old Written byLance6 August 6, 2016
Adult Written byUlysses July 12, 2016

A wonderful movie, magical.

You can tell that everyone involved in this movie did their best work. Legend of Tarzan has everything that makes a movie entertaining and magical: romance, adventure, mystery, action, beautiful photography, great writing, great acting, clean cut values.
We've seen it twice. We took our daughter to see it tonight, and she absolutely loved it! It was beautiful in imax 3D.
The story shows family values, love, respect for others, and how good people can work together for the comman good, regardless of race or background. It also shows an appreciation for the environment and animals.
It is one of the best movies I've seen.

Adult Written byastrofi July 12, 2016

where has Tarzan magic gone?

Well, this just seems another movie that promotes violence. I think it could have been made a lot more beautiful and magical. It seems like a movie that represents male aggression, violence and hopelessness in the face of evil. But what is the problem with Tarzan in this movie? I think he is an amazing character but he is overshadowed by violence that comes not from the movie but modern day society.. Do we really need to see and hear all those guns? What about cinematography that is beautiful, uplifting, inspiring and leaves the viewer with a positive beautiful feeling including about that wonderful guy Tarzan.. He vaguely came back from my childhood, the call brought back the most memories and there were some lovely moments, scenery etc. but do we really need all those guns and violence that competes with the music, scenery, meaningful elephant eyes and the birth of a human baby? Is it meant to be some sort of computer game of destruction? I don't play those games. All actors seemed to lack a sense of depth. Well, maybe I got it wrong but somehow Tarzan just turned out to be a mancho kung fu gun western style violence that ruined it.
Adult Written byStevie111 July 2, 2016

The Legend of Tarzan is a fairly well made film filled with intense action

Tarzan has an okay story for the type of movie it is. It isn't too long and it's just a solid though violent action film. I think the director did a good job. The effects are pretty good. The acting was okay, too. Overall, this is a good action movie. That being said, this is more of a teen and adult interpretation. The violence isn't all the time, but when it is present it is in your face and fairly brutal. Animals trample and beat people. There is a brief suggestive scene, but it isn't too bad. Language isn't really an issue. I would definitely recommend this film to action fans that want an okay story.

Adult Written byKhgfdhgkgchydtktduut July 1, 2016