All member reviews for The LEGO Movie

Hilarious toy tale plugs product but is nonstop fun.

Parent of a 2 year old Written byThrillhouse February 8, 2014

A PG-13 action movie masquerading as a kids' film

Common Sense Media gave this thing 1 out of 5 on violence?! It's why I saw this thing, and why I so regret it now. This is a good, entertaining movie for adults and older kids, but it's essentially your usual PG-13 summer action blockbuster done with kids' blocks, which means relentless death and destruction. Would you take little kids' to see the newest Transformers or Pirates of the Caribbean movie? Because The Lego Movie contains an even wider and wilder orgy of violence than those. I honestly bet that all 19 of those movies combined have less "action" screen time than The Lego Movie, which is essentially one action montage after another. Characters are CONSTANTLY punching, shooting, chopping, exploding, crushing, blasting, decapitating, impaling, freezing, and killing each other in this thing. How about several intense scenes of torture, where heroes are trapped in punishing devices, fearful for the unknown pain of what's coming next? To show that the villain of this movie is so evil, he takes the peaceful mommy and daddy of his own FRIEND, and murders them before the son's eyes (by gluing them stiff.) How about the protagonist (nobly) committing suicide in the finale of the film? Aren't these great lessons for your young one? And it's not just that these things happen in the movie either - it's that they're played, scored, shot, edited and "acted" as if it's a full-grown adult movie (dark music, agonizing tension, characters screaming or crying in pain and confusion.) Older viewers will get the satire, but not little kids. Our theater's under-6 crowd was not exploding with laughter or cheering throughout this film, as they were likely too busy silently deciphering the insanity before them. Oh wait, there's no blood, and they're just toy blocks, so whatevs. And don't worry, small children, the hero and parents eventually come back (but not the decapitated wizard, he is now a ghost forever.) I even thought it would be a neat treat for my kid to finally see Batman in action. But then the film makes him a weird, self-absorbed jerk. And the advertised appearances of DC superheroes, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc. are all the puniest of cameos, except for Batman, who is a death-metal-loving, girlfriend-betraying bully throughout the flick. A PG-13 might be a bit much, but this is easily the hardest and darkest PG movie I've ever seen.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byJVidaver March 16, 2014

We took our 6 and 3 year old Lego loving boys to see this movie after friends said "you have to see this one!" I regret doing so. My 6 year old who typically seeks out action packed movies with fighting/battles was scared or sad throughout much of the film. Who knew that lego minifigures could be so menacing! ? The story can be hard to follow at times for little ones. The humor and references are clearly for the grown ups who did most of the laughing at this film. The ending softens the film a bit and salvaged the film for my 6 year old. However, If you have sensitive kids you may want to think twice about this one. There is a positive message but the violence overcomes it in my book.
Parent of an infant, 2, 4, and 6 year old Written bysci-fi-mom February 17, 2014

Great for adults and older kids, scary for 6 and unders

I took my 6-year old and 4-year old boys, both of whom are obsessed with Legos (mostly Lego City sets and their own creations). They are rough and tumble kids, but a bit sensitive to dark movies. We hadn't realized from the reviews that this one would be so scary. Within 10-15 minutes, the 4-year old was in my arms with his head buried in my chest. The 6-year old was similarly distressed but opted not to leave early when I offered. I guessed the twist and whispered it to them early, but they didn't relax until it actually happened. All in all, I thought the movie was great, but I wished I'd gone alone and waited a few years before showing it to the kids.
Parent Written bytsrobins1 February 15, 2014

Intense! Multiple uncomfortable scenes for my 7 year old LEGO fans

The Common Sense Media recommendation for this is misleading. The movie clip provided should show the part where a character is forced to choose to have his parents essentially killed by evil-looking torture devices. That scene and several others were just awful. The plot is a mash up of complex story lines borrowed from Star Wars and The Matrix--without knowledge of which, an intelligent 7 year old is left only to pick up on a general sense of deep evil coming from the main bad guy, and random comedic relief from shallow, snide, and psychotic "good" characters. I was left wondering why they had to make the "bad" side of the hero equation so evil. It's legos for godsake! There are humorous bits for parents, but I'd trade them all to remove just one of those painfully unnerving scenes for my boy. 5/5 for violence and darkness.
Parent Written byDannamyte March 2, 2014

We left halfway through

Ugh. Brutal. First of all, what I wouldn't give to have a children's movie that doesn't have a political message rammed down the throats of the audience that's astute enough to get it. In Legos, "President Business" is the bad guy, the evil force behind some elaborate, enormous corporation. Yes, that wicked, terrible capitalism that's responsible for so many jobs, so many food products, and your pet's medications. Secondly, this film operates like a Chihuahua on speed - nonstop, headache-inducing ADD action until my head was spinning and I just rested it on the back of my seat. Finally, there was definitely some sinister creepist factor going on - even though an adult can rationalize, "Hey, that's just a lego perpetrating violence on another lego," children can't always work through that reasoning. Mine were a little overwhelmed, especially my three year-old. My husband and I were glancing over at one another twenty minutes leading up to our departure, and finally, after they rubbed the face off one guy with a q-tip, we figured that was enough to fill our dear children's imaginations for a while.
Parent of a 6 year old Written by123Bay February 12, 2014

Way too violent for young children

This is the first time that the commonsense media review has let me down. The first 1/3 of the movie is extremely violent and dark and the rest of the movie continues in the same with a few lighter scenes. The reviewer said that it was good for all ages and indicated that DUPLO players would like it. There is NO WAY this would be appropriate for my younger children.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bydbowker3d February 20, 2014

Genius on all levels

Bottom Line (at the top): One of the best animated features to come out in several years. A feast for the eyes and imagination, with a good heart and message at the center. All CG, but the animators had the brief that not one piece could be anything other than a real LEGO piece, and could not move or be animated in a away that a real LEGO object could. But before I get into the real review, I need to address some of the more extreme negative reviews here, which are are bordering on absurd: "Naked" LEGO mini-figure is "inappropriate? Folks, it's a piece of plastic, and is not just unisex, but asexual altogether. The joke, which apparently sailed over the heads of a few parents, is that you CAN'T have a "naked' minifigure! That is what is so funny- and I'm pretty sure ALL the kids seeing it will get that, even if a few sheltered adults didn't. And "too violent except for over 10 years old"? First off- again it's all LEGOS; even the explosions were just orange, red and yellow bricks. Anything bad could and did get rebuilt and fixed. The peril and violence is certainly NOT PG-13, and honestly, barely PG. Any classic fairy tale Disney movie has as much peril as this one and they all still have their G ratings. OK, so on to why it is so great. All of our family loved it equally, Dad (me) Mom and son. For LEGO builders like my son and I every tiny detail was so accurate and lovingly created that alone was half the treat. But really, it's the story and great characters that keep it going strong all the way through. Just like real LEGOS, the movie continually brought out new and surprising ideas. And then, just as you think it's earned it's place on the top of the shelf of animated greats, it's brings it to a whole other level in the final act. My wife, who almost never will suggest seeing a movie twice was already wanting to see it again just days after we left the theater.
Parent Written bywillow888 February 9, 2014

More violence and threat of violence than expected; the moral is for adults and not kids

I took our 7 and 5 year old boys to this. They love legos and I thought they would enjoy the movie. I disagree with the the blip saying the movie is "hilarious". Within the first 5 minutes the word "butt" was used as well as the lego guy taking a shower saying "I hope I don't get soap up my" then he yells "ahhhhhh" because something awful happens. Totally unecessary stuff not needed to make the movie. My five year old was bored 10 minutes into it, and probably scared too....and ended up being bored for the entire movie. I found there to be MUCH more violence and threats of violence than I expected.....for a rating of PG I would say this is one of the more "mature audience" PG's than most that we have watched as a family. Even though we knew they were "fake" people it was just had more dark/threatening moments then I had hoped for. The movie also took you to a land where there were, as the kitty said, "no rules, no consequences" etc. The ending moral is more for the adults...spoiler alert.....literally don't glue your legos together, it's okay to not follow the directions because then you get creative and can make even neater items. Glad we went to the matinee performance and didn't pay for the full evening showing. As I should have guessed, I was disappointed with the unnecessary amount of violence and inuendos.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byCc0901 February 22, 2014

Much more violent than I expected

I had several friends with young kids recommend this movie but I wish I had listened to the reviews I read here instead. We took our 6-1/2 and 4-1/2 year old girls to the movie. It was sensory overload. Lots of intense action sequences and so much violence. There were lots of explosions and shootings. To me, it doesn't matter if they are just Legos - violence is violence no matter who or what is acting it out in screen. It was like watching the avengers or some other PG-13 action movie. But hey no blood since they're Legos, so let's give it a PG rating. The animation itself is truly impressive and it's a really fun movie but I wish they had either dialed back the violence and action a bit or marketed it to older kids. Story does have a nice message and fortunately my girls said that was the best part. We won't be watching it again until they are much older.
Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written bylabishop February 26, 2014

Too much violence for six year olds IMO

My husband and I laughed a ton, but my six year old and seven year old didn't laugh that much. I think the movie was so fast paced, including the dialogue, that they didn't catch a lot of the humor. And much of it was over their heads. I also think my six year old was lost a lot of the time. He was engaged, because it's bright and loud and he could follow the story overall. However, he also told me that he thought it was scary because one of the main characters is killed (and later, there's a really funny ghost scene, but still), there's a bad guy who keeps sending his minions out to "eliminate" the good guys, multiple chase and battle scenes, homes and towns destroyed. Those were the things he took away from the movie, not the humor or the positive messages. Overall, I think common sense should have given it a higher age rating because of the violence. I don't think it matters that it was lego violence. My kid clearly caught on and it affected his view of the movie. My older kid wants to see it again. My younger kid, not so much.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byrtira February 17, 2014

alert for kids with sensory processing

Fun movie, creative, funny jokes for kids and adults, good message, plot a bit complicated but even my 6 yr old could "get it" and access it at basic level. My alert is to parents of kids with sensory processing disorder (SPD) or general sensitivity to noise, action, stimulation. This movie was too much for my 8 y/o son with SPD. He is highly sensitive to noise but it was more than just the volume of theater sound. This was almost non stop battles, explosions, laser guns, free falls through black hole tunnels. It was a kids' scale "toy story" of an adult action blow 'em up movie. I am not critiquing the film for violence; I am alerting parents that for some children it is absolute sensory overload. My child was barely able to relax into the jokes and story line because his brain was under stress and tension was high; overall unpleasant afternoon for him. Many theaters offer special showings at lower volumes but my guess is this would not have changed the effect of the movie on my son. (And I have heard same from another SPD parent who did attend a special screening at lower volume.)
Parent of a 5 year old Written byAjd1988 June 21, 2014

Not for sensitive kids

My son has anxiety issues. Dark movies scare him. He spent the entire film going back and forth between this is scary and this is awesome. The movie was so fast paced he didn't have time to process one emotion before having a new one. By the time the movie was over my child was violently ill.
Adult Written byFredFrg May 20, 2014

Worst Movie Ever!

Well I'm 21 years old, i'm not a parent i'm only a guy that like animation movies. Tho i didn't liked this one was so boring, too much violence they were making fun of violence like was something good. I do not recommend this movie for any kid under 12 years old or any adult either what a waste of time with a bad message that maybe you understand but your kids don't.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byDSinSF February 9, 2014

Reviewer WAY OFF the mark on Violence and Scariness

One of the beautiful virtues of real-world Legos is that they make no sound, have no lights, and shoot no projectiles. Our nearly 5yr old son was petrified, had to pull him out of the movie in the first 10 minutes. There's intense violence in the opening action scenes, lots of shooting, threats of ending the world, threats to the main protagonist that he'll be melted down, restraint and torture of the main protagonist. Get a clue reviewer, you're supposed to be reviewing from the perspective of a child. Do the preschoolers in your house watch Die Hard 2 in their free time?!?!? Also, the movie is loaded with fast-paced image changes, probably 10 changes per minute. Your child will definitely be hyper-stimulated. I thought the biggest risk from this film would be the blatant product placement. Now I wish that was what was wrong with it.
Parent Written byElearningmom February 9, 2014

Not appropriate for below 10

Overall message of believe in yourself, was a good message. There were a lot of inappropriate things included for a kids movie. There were a lot of slang words. There was a western bar scene that showed brawling and beer cups. Batman did not treat wild style with respect and green lantern was suggestive to superman. There was a scene where emmet had been in the shower and after he was done he started to run outside naked. I know these are just Lego parts but it is still inappropriate.
Parent Written byMaggieO March 28, 2014

saturated with violence

Commonsense Media is my usual go-to for info about movies for my son, but I think it's really off on this one. I agree with another reviewer on here who said, "it's essentially your usual PG-13 summer action blockbuster done with kids' blocks, which means relentless death and destruction." And not just explosions and shooting, but torture and decapitation as well. It's easy to write it off as just Lego people, but I'm not so sure that's how it plays out in the minds of kids.
Parent Written byrusugiru March 10, 2014

Fun for adults, not for little ones

I took my 4 and 7 year olds to see this at the cinema and really wished I hadn't. While the overall message is a positive one (everyone is special and creative, even if they think they aren't), it was couched in so much violence and menace that I felt it was definitely only appropriate for older children and adults. For example, there is a horrible scene where the main baddie forces his underling to watch the latter's bewildered elderly parents being sprayed with super glue so they can no longer move and hold one another. The underling's face is also forcibly removed while his parents look on in horror. These are just a couple of examples of the kinds of scenes that I thought were thoroughly inappropriate for younger children.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byellend July 27, 2014

know your child, but calm down!

To respond to the 'consumerism/advert for product' angle, what did anyone expect? Is is a film set in a fictional universe made of Lego, which is a child's play product. It seems pretty unreasonable to pay your money to sit in a multiplex cinema with your kids and complain about this stuff. It's a really good film that will definitely shift some merch, but Lego is an excellent toy, and I'll take that over a plastic Disney Princess figure any day. Is the film a bit frantic? Yes, I think it is, and it depends on your kids- I suspect the DVD will be better for some, as the volume can be adjusted and you can take breaks if needed. My little girl adored it in the cinema and grasped a surprising amount of the plot, but she's not unsettled by load or fast-paced stuff. The film has been constructed (pun intended) to charm parents and kids, in the hope of becoming a family favourite, and it does a good job if you allow yourself to be entertained. It's total fluff and very tame when it comes to supposed 'off colour' gags, which of course will only make sense to anyone old enough to understand them. The 'violence' is there, but again, nothing 'dies', there's no blood, and the peril is interspersed with jokes and silliness to take it down a peg. Again, it's up to parents to know their kids. I think it's a shame when people impose their adult perspectives (political, social etc.) on things like this film. Kids aren't kids for long, but adults for a long while, and being an adult comes with all these concerns whether you like it or not. Talk to your kids and have a balanced view, and your kids will grow up to be balanced too, without having stupid hissy fits over every single thing that jars mildly with their world-view. Isolated things will not damage them, why not let them enjoy it and just temper with guiding principles as they grow up? Isn't that parenting? If you think your kid will like it, they probably will. And if they do...just let them!
Parent Written byCommonSenseMom March 3, 2014

Lego: Hollywood Anti-Capitalist Propaganda

At one and the same time the Lego movie is a 2 hour long anti-business, anti-capitalism film AND a commercial for Legos. Skip it if you are tired of having Hollywood propagandize you and your children.
Parent Written bySSalem February 7, 2014

LEARNING

Meh, it could be a lot better for kids!

The LEGO Movie was entertaining and had a lot of adult humor, but had way too much violence in it for children. Adults, just fine, creative director, take heed, there was too much violence for children, it was over-the-top. I am sorry that I didn't scrutinize this film thorougly before attending it with my family. I am puzzled by all the high ratings. I am thinking that the pool of quality entertainment for children is so low in the United States that this looks great in comparison to all of the meager pickings that we have to choose from. As a LEGO loving parent who has brought my family to the LEGOland Hotel and vacations at various LEGO locations, I appreciate the stop-motion and array of various recognizable figures. I think the message that the film ultimatley gives is very good. Unfortunately, I do not think that any child under the age of ten will understand the message. I think they will see a lot of violence and start to role play that violence. In fact, my four year old girl started playing with her LEGO toys violently directly after seeing this film. I have never seen her be violent before today! Says a whole lot right there. Bottom link, it was okay for adults, but for kids, please take away the violence. It's frankly too much and we love our LEGOs! I just don't appreciate LEGO desensitizing my children and your children to violence.