All teen and kid member reviews for The LEGO Movie

Kid, 10 years old March 13, 2014

too violent and humor aimed at adults

this was an action film, pure and simple. incredible animation, but the plot for the first half is just trash. adults will pick up on some of the humor, but for kids it's a dark movie. explosions, very evil bad guys, torture, why? hire some additional writers to class it up a bit. it's just one long commercial…..
Kid, 12 years old May 4, 2014

By far, this is the best animated film of 2014. It's hilarious, heartwarming and lots of fun. This is 100 times better than Frozen. It's also one of the best films of 2014.
Kid, 9 years old March 1, 2014

Don't even think about... not seeing it!

What parents should know: "The LEGO Movie" was awesome for 3 reasons: The theme song "Everything Is Awesome" will be stuck in your head for days at a time, Several scenes are placed in the human world (Lord Business AND the dad are played by Will Ferrell), and 90% OF THE FILM IS MADE OF LEGO PIECES!!!!! There are tons of different jokes that your kids will love, but the whole situation of the Kragle attempting to freeze everybody, Bad Cop getting his good side taken away (literally) and an entire LEGO city getting washed away and drowned might not get to you positively. What kids should know: This is the perfect film for people with a creative mind and a fearless attitude, and for DC fans, all your favorites are coming too! Emmet is an ordinary guy, but can do extraordinary things. This movie is good for kids 8 and up because a few scenes are a bit emotional. What I like about it: "The LEGO Movie" is the story of a nobody who saved everybody in the least common way, and Emmet should inspire you to do whatever you can to do what's right. It will find the builder in anyone! If I could have a rating for this film, it would be: PG for intense animated action including some emotional thematic material, and rude humor.
Kid, 11 years old February 13, 2014

everything is awesome

i definitely recommend this movie for all ages it has no bad words and little violence
Kid, 12 years old April 13, 2014

While it's LEGOs, the violence may suggest otherwise.

Epicboy21, reviewing the LEGO Movie. Consumerism is a plug for LEGO where a supporting character announces something, there's The Simpsons' Milhouse, Lord of the Rings'/The Hobbit's Gandalf, Harry Potter's Dumbledore, the TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) and other various guys in the background, there's also mention of LEGO products "which we don't need to mention", according to Wildstyle. So, basically, the story is about the Piece of Resistance, a mysterious piece that is stolen by enemy Lord Business (Will Ferrell, who is notable for comedies), who legendarily battles Lord Vitrivius (Morgan Freeman, whose played God AND Batman's Weapon Marker Lt. Gordon), who fails to Business, but an ordinary construction worker named Emmet (Chris Pratt, whom I haven't seen or heard in anything else), who is pretty enthusiastic about his life, watches a lame, poorly written TV show "Where are My Pants?" and loves a rock song, "Everything is Awesome", goes "out-of-bounds" in his world (a plug for LEGO Construction), he tries to report Wildstyle (Elizabeth Banks who plays Effie Trinket in the Hunger Games) to the police but instead falls down a hole with her and is mistakenly seen as the "Special", by her, the "Master Builder"; he has to defeat Business over his plans to dominate the entire LEGO universe with a deadly weapon called the Kragle (Krazy Glue, rubbing faces off), but Vitruvius has a vision that a yellow-faced someone, will defeat Business with the missing "Piece of Resistance." Wyldstyle believes him to be the Special and takes him to Vitruvius, but they soon know he's a nice-guy, not a Master Builder. Then his adventures come to try and defeat Lord Business, in the best way he can. Very funny cameos, and some violence, but if kids are used to popping LEGO heads off, they should be somewhat fine with scenes of heads being cut off on LEGOs (very smart from the same guys who envisioned the movie Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs), but they might not be used to "erasing" faces, using Krazy Glue ("Kragle", to them.) People also get shot at, and people beat people up, but it's only LEGO. Such as for some crude humour, such as "do not put your behind on a pirate's face (parody from Despicable Me)", two naked male LEGOs (no detailed nudity since LEGOs don't have genitalia, but plump yellow buttocks are seen), and a reference to the swear word "sh*t", because Emmet hears the words "The Piece of Resistance" at the start, and he responds "The Piece of WHAT?", possibly implying the word. Drinks are drunk at a saloon bar, but no one appears REALLY drunk. Also, one LEGO character is tortured and there's a few casualties. Language is "dang", "darn", "heck", and the near-swear innuendo "the piece of WHAT?", and a scream instead of the word "*ss", "rubbish", "what the heck", "dumb" and "stupid" are heard, all infrequently. Sad, humorous and full of surprises, the LEGO Movie is quite good, though I agree with Screen Rant, another site, saying, "the animation looks more like someone's impressive clay-mation project than a CGI movie." But, still, it is quite good and funny. LOTS of good cameos. No problems with it (one part at the start was kind of annoying), please see it, and thank-you for reading.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySalsander February 19, 2014

Great movie for any age group

Right now I am flabbergasted by this well made movie and a bit at the overwhelming amounts of parent complaints. The lego movie is a wonderful movie that encourages creativity in all, although it can be a bit too frantic for younger kids. The movie is in no way excessively violent, but throws so much detail, sound, and colors at a low frame-rate making the film feel chaotic. Even after being a veteran of movies like the Usual Suspects and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, this film made my brain hurt after watching it. It's all done in an appropriate way relevant to the theme of the film, but it might be too much for very young children. Otherwise I wouldn't say that the violence was terrible. Usually a chase between Emit and the baddies will result in a ludicrous fusillade of bullets, but nobody gets hit (nor can they really die, which is explained later). Also expect a lot of explosions and destruction of brick structures. It's very flashy but silly action that never is taken seriously. Batman makes a mildly crude joke when asked by a guard for his name (responds by saying my butt). This is the only sexual content in the film. That's all I could find that parents might find inappropriate. Iffy for 6+, OK for any one 8+. (Note: Someone said this had an anti-capitalist message. How can this be true? If anything it denounces communism because it shows how mundane uniformity is. There is no propaganda in the film)
Kid, 9 years old February 19, 2014

ODD, EXCITING and CRAZY

This movie is a little bit scary but otherwise fun! The song will stay in your head for about a week. It has a good message- be yourself and believe. I know that sounds like a cat poster.
Teen, 17 years old Written byKearnic17 February 7, 2014

Fantastic and Intoxicating

This movie has a very awesome feel to it. From the upbeat and repetitive theme song (in the best possible way), to the hilarious script, and explosive imagination, this movie has everything you could possibly want out of a movie! Somehow, this movie has found its way to be great, even though the movie is based off of a kid's product. Transformers didn't turn out so well, and neither did the Garbage Pail Kids Movie from 1987, but this somehow manages to make me want to create new ideas with LEGOs again. The ultra-funny Will Arnett as Batman was possibly the best idea anyone has ever come up with. I honestly couldn't stop laughing every time he spoke. There are a lot of famous cameos you won't see coming, and I'm not going to ruin them, but just be prepared. There is some violence however, such as a spear that goes through a LEGO that a kid wouldn't be used to seeing, and a lot of beheadings that make it okay, because, they are, well, they're LEGOs. So, that leaves us with the great messages. There are powerful messages of heartfelt creativity, and bondage. Emmet is a wonderful role model for anyone of any age that thinks that they aren't special. He is as bland as "they" come, and yet he is able to do extraordinary things. Save this one for the time capsule.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJoshua_cool_man March 19, 2014

bad

not good
Kid, 12 years old February 23, 2014

Incredibly Fun!

I have to say the movie is incredibly fun, with non-stop action. It was a strange mixture of bizarreness, nostalgia, and creepiness, yes I do believe the film is somewhat creepy. But I have to say this movie was totally awesome and heartfelt and had a surprisingly thoughtful and moving story and message. Even, though this film doe advertise LEGO, you practically get lured into the creativity, imagination, and awesomeness of the film that you forget about the purpose of the film. I highly recommend this film. Everything is Awesome...in this film!
Kid, 8 years old February 17, 2014

Everything is Awesome!

My parents took me to see The LEGO Movie. I loved it so so so so so so much. It was so awesome. I really liked that they used LEGOs. I liked Emmet because he was nice and funny.
Kid, 12 years old July 2, 2014

The LEGO Movie review

I am 12 years old and I loved this movie. First off, it is all animated in LEGOs. So it is not "a PG-13 violence fest with relentless death and destruction". Seriously! I mean, if your kids are very sensitive, this isn't a movie for them. But it's not really dark or scary, and if anyone thinks so, then I would think that they reeeaally haven't seen very many movies. I think that if young kids can't handle this, then they really can't handle anything. Did you ever think that maybe, it's not the movie, but your kids? Gasp! I mean, in Lion King, Simba's dad is trampled to death, and is anyone saying, "Oh no, it's soooo violent". Nope! Oh, and will other people STOP saying "it has anti-capitalist messages, and it says that the higher government can be deemed as unsafe." Well, it can! Remember Fidel Castro? Kim Jong Un? Yeah! Gasp! Authority figures actually CAN be dangerous? Yes. Yes they can. (See what I did there? Authority figures? LEGO figures? Oh, never mind.) OK, so time to actually review the movie. All the violence is more cartoonish because, well, everything is made out of LEGOs. There is melee combat, but only against robots. (And yes, to reply to, like, half the reviews out there, IT IS JUST LEGO BRICKS.) There are also some guns, but they shoot lasers. (Think Star Wars). Romance is present, but not beyond holding hands and the occasional hug. (Also, there IS NOT any sexual innuendo, despite some idiots.) Some LEGOs do die, but in comical ways. For example, a minifigure's head pops off, and Good Cop/Bad Cop (a double-sided head minifig) gets his good side erased with nail polish remover (he later draws it back on). It has a star-studded cast (Will Ferrell, Morgan Freeman) and some in-jokes directed at adults, but nothing inappropriate. (Think old LEGO sets you adults would have had.) No swears, but words like "dang", "darn", "what the heck" are used throughout. Oh, and at the beginning, when Emmet is in the shower (he has no genitals because, well, he is made of LEGO) he does NOT scream instead of saying the "A" word (swear for butt). He screams instead of saying "eyes".Overall, I think most kids 1st grade (maybe kindergarten) and above will love this movie. Basically, if your kids love LEGOs, they will love this movie.
Kid, 9 years old June 17, 2014

good movie

great and clever ideas. for all ages 5 and up
Kid, 11 years old June 5, 2014

AWESOME!

Well the movie is funny appropriate and AWESOME but theres one tiny thing when "wild style" talks about her boyfriend (batman) she says "its way serious" and while my 5 year old brother was watching it made me unconfertable to be seeing this talk WITH my brother. In any case great movie and you should watch it
Kid, 11 years old June 1, 2014

ABSOLUTLEY HILARIOUS

This movie was so funny I cried. This will be very enjoyable for adults too who loved video games (or still do) back then.There will be a tiny bit of appropriate romance (character said she has a boyfriend a few times, when main character stared at the girl in love ect.) A little bit of violence, but no blood shown (since its lego xD) . Honestly you WILL HAVE TO WATCH THIS!!!
Kid, 11 years old March 24, 2014

Everything Is Awesome

This Movie is great for everyone. There is NO adult content and it is hilarious. Kids will be in stitches laughing. Of course there is a small bit of swearing but it is only "darn" "d@mn" and "heII"
Kid, 9 years old March 7, 2014

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!!!

Really good movie for at least 7 and up. I am 9 and I was a little bit scared of the explosions and fake death. but a really good movie with a lot of positive messages.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNotreDameFan April 14, 2014

outstanding movie. one of the best i have ever seen

this is one of the funniest movies i have ever seen. legos were pretty much my childhood, and i took my 6 year old cousin to see it and we had a blast. though i am 13, it was easily one of the best that i have seen
Kid, 9 years old February 16, 2014

every thing is awesome

It truly is awesome. It does have some cartoon violence and a guy getting his head cut off by a penny.Also there are people getting desroyed ( glued) by the kragel. I really loved how they went to the wild west. It was epic. There was also a love story to it. Trust me you will not be disappointed whith this movie.
Kid, 8 years old August 8, 2014

Awsome

It's a really funny movie and everything is made of Lego so its not scary at all. It teaches kids ( like me) a lesson about creativity, teamwork, and friendship.