All member reviews for The Lion King

Musical king-of-the-beasts blockbuster is powerful, scary.

Adult Written byMamaMegan April 9, 2008

An awful awful movie

I cannot understand why this movie has ever gotten positive reviews. It is horrifying and obscenely violent. The uncle's meanness, deceit, and manipulation are better suited to adult psycho-dramas than a kids movie. I deeply regret ever showing this movie to my 5 yr old. Awful.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBlueDragonMaster98 June 6, 2010

Great

One of the best disney movies. There are mixed messages- revenge, mainly. Scar wants to rule to make things his way (since his brother was first in line), and Simba wants to kill Scar for killing his dad (but also to save the land). It will make little kids cry, and the role models aren't that great. Still, it's a must-see for disney.
Adult Written bysavvypaul September 24, 2011

I love this movie!

For all of the parents that are bashing this movie... seriously? Maybe you should have read up on it before you exposed your precious children to it, if you're all so into sheltering them from everything. It's not like Disney is keeping the plot a secret from everyone who hasn't already seen it... Do your research. I could see if the movie was advertised as having cute butterflies and teddy bears, but it wasn't. Do a Google search next time before you expose your kids to something. Don't bash a legendary movie just because you made a mistake. And as for the rating, tons of movies were rated somewhat oddly in the past. The first Planet of the Apes movie was rated G - would you show your kids that just because of its rating, even though it appears to be about apes that enslaved the human race? I would understand if you just didn't like the movie, but the fact that you got angry because its content shocked you is really annoying. The Lion King is actually my favorite animated movie, and I saw it when I was three (oh my god, it damaged me for life!) My parents explained everything to me, and I got over the bad parts. I hate to break it to you, but your children's lives aren't going to be peachy and perfect and filled with all things wonderful - bad things happen in the world all the time. Animated movies are good mediums for children to experience these negative things in a controlled setting with the support of a parent. I feel sorry for your children. If you get so pissed off when they start crying about a movie because you have to deal with them, what do you do when they wet the bed or spill something? Rub their face in it?
Parent Written byJoe1000 February 10, 2014

Your kids will be scared to death!!!

All of the Lion King serie is not at all for young children. It contains a lot of violent and very scary moments and characters. The hyenas and uncle Scar are very scary and the music and scenes are often very frightening. VERY DARK AND HEAVY MOVIE. It should not be rated G. Do not show to your children if you do not want them to have nightmares! This movie is good for adults and preteens only.
Kid, 12 years old February 16, 2014

Too dark for young children....

It was violent and dark, too much for young children. Also very sad.
Adult Written byDeckerc September 17, 2011

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

great movie STOP HATING ON THIS MOVIE HATERS
Kid, 11 years old June 4, 2014

Be prepared, for an epic movie.

I am afraid your kid would not want to watch this because of no humans, but give them some time to get interested in watching it. Most kids get interested in watching it around 10. Yes, sensitive kids will have to view a character's death to a stampede (viewed by his son) and another character being killed by hyenas (offscreen) The second half of the film is when it gets intense. If your child starts crying or anything, turn it off. Simba is haunted by his father's death throughout the second half. Also, be careful about the romance between Simba and Nala; it can be grossing out to viewers sensitive to sex. That is all you need to worry about.
Kid, 12 years old June 28, 2013

Great film, but very dark for young kids, even for a G rated movie.

I like this movie, a great disney achievement without PIXAR! Sexual Content: None, but there is very mild flirting and romance. Language: Pause, the hyenas say "shut up". Don't know about stupid though, very mild language. Violence: Off and Pause, lots of violence, Mufasa being killed, Scar telling that Simba did it, that is not what kids should be hearing or seeing, today I saw this with my sister and I will talk with her about the violence in the film. The battle in the end is super violent for a superior R rated movie. Positive Messages, role models, and educational value: On, a lot of good models and messages, the characters will teach kids including Simba Hakuna Matata, meaning no worries, which Timon, Pumbaa and Simba sing. Otherwise, great Walt Disney film, my MPAA Rating: PG for very mild sex and language, and violence.
Parent Written bydean57 November 13, 2011

good entertainment

Adult Written byJilly1981 September 15, 2011

Showing the pride and care in your family...

This is an all time favorite classic of Disney. The movie does come back in 3D! I've loved this movie as a child growing up. I think this movie is great for kids mostly of all ages. It teaches you how to respect your family in some parts of who to trust and believe in your own path to the future. It also teaches the young cub Simba, to learn the knowledge of courage and how to stand up for his rights. If your kids have the right courage to believe, anything can be possible. This also features Disney characters who help eachother out on a long battle for freedom of the family bonds. Basically it is like what Timon says "You gottta put your past behind you" to cover your fears and discover a new future!
Adult Written byKyla07 October 2, 2010

not for too young kids

I loved this movie, but was distraught when Mufasa died, (I watched it when I was young) and won't let my kid watch it before he isn't at least 5 years old. Its a good opportunity to let your kid experience death and how to deal with it, I wouldn't let him watch it alone.
Kid, 12 years old August 5, 2010

Consumer Advice

The bestest movie ever made in 1994, but what an absolute disgrace about the intensity in the movie, the hyena gets scratched in the cheek, Mufasa gets killed, the female lions run the hyenas out-of-town and Scar's throat is cut open, but still the film is mild on violence but moderate on dangerous behaviour. THE FOLLOWING FILM IS RATED: PG, Mild Violence, Scary Images, Emotional Intensity and Dangerous Behaviour.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byblublublu March 13, 2010

Best Disney film of all time

The best kid movie ever. completely alright for all ages, although the mufasa death scene is unbelievably sad, and will make almost all kids cry. The movie is actually quite well made, which is why viewers get so attached to simba and mufasa, and why they hate scar so much. I dont know how to recommend this highly enough, because it is just so good. A movie your kid will literally want to see again and again (to the point that both you and them will be able to recite the lines by memory). Had the Academy Award for best animated film been around in 1994, The Lion King would surely have won.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMaddy Jay April 9, 2008
Parent Written bypowercise September 16, 2011

Way, way too dark and violent.

We just walked out half way through. Way too violent and dark for my 6 year old.
Adult Written bydemaion September 15, 2011

Poor excuse for a commercial success.

Terribly violent story with catchy songs. Skip it and go straight to Pixar films
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byAppropriate August 10, 2010

Fitting for Life

Parents should be able to explain and watch this movie with children. Death of parent brings out fears; can be good to address. Overall realistic, and positive. Sing, dance or celebrate with your children!
Parent of a 5 year old Written byzelita October 8, 2009

Good for adults and 9 year olds

In general, Disney movies disguise adult contents and themes, dressing them up in children like characters. Read all the Adult reviews in this section and proof is there. As an adult and from a theatre production standpoint, Lion King is absolutely fantastic and has a great sound track. I have seen the movie and the show. Would I recommend it to 5 year olds? No. The themes are not appropriate from a development point of view to what 5 year olds needs or could be experiencing. The presence of violence, sex innuendos, reinforcement of social stereotypes and gender roles are constant throughout Disney's movies. Again, great for adults, poor choice for young kids.
Adult Written byKIS katrine February 5, 2009

The Lion King Review:

Have you ever watched a movie that inspires you or fills you with an animating, quickening, or exalting influence? The Lion King has done this for me. Set under the heavenly clear blue skies and starlit nights, in between the lush green meadows and dry bush's of Africa's Savannah, some animated wild animals come to life. Simba, a new born baby cub, (voice by Jonathan Taylor Thomas) is growing up in the joyous grasslands of Africa. But Simba isn't just any ordinary cub, his father, Mufasa (voice by James Earl Jones) is the king. Not only is he the king, but the hero of his son’s life. Soon "everything the sun shines on in the savannah" will belong to Simba, the future king. Yet, there is a problem. The problems name is Scar (voice by Jeremy Irons). One of the most evil lions that trot around the outskirts of the savannah. There is good and bad in everyone, but Scar has more of the bad. He also struggles to fight the battle of jealousy. Eventually, his jealousy of Simba becoming the future king leads him to killing Mufasa (the king) in a stampede of buffaloes. He makes Simba seem responsible for it and Simba being only a young child believes the fact that he was the one responsible for killing his father and runs away. As he grows up (adult voice by Matthew Broderick) and adapts a new life in the jungle, he manages to make friends with two hilarious and heart-warming characters, Timon (voice by Nathan lane) and Pumba (voice by Ernie Sabella.) Pumba is a warthog and Timon is a meerkat. Together, they teach Simba important, basic, life lessons and of course, "hakuna matata," Swahili for "no worries" They teach Simba to not worry about his past, but to face it and learn from it. One sunny afternoon, as the sun is beaming down and the wind is rustling in the lovely agaisha trees, Nala (voice by Moira Kelly), one of the lioness’s from Simba's childhood comes across Simba while hunting. She tells him that Scar is king now and doing a horrible job therefore Simba is needed to rule. Simba decides to return to the place he once lived in, to rule. He fights Scar, his evil uncle, for the position as king. The question is, does he win the fight? I recommend you watch The Lion King to find out. This movie not only brings tears and laughter, but teaches both young and old about important life lessons. There are many great aspects of film making in this movie. Music is one of them. The music and each song of this movie fit each scene perfectly and will keep your head bopping up and down throughout. The music in the movie is sung by the characters. Another great aspect of the film making of this movie is the set design. It is an animated movie, yet everything looks as if it could be real and is drawn extremely well. The lions are drawn well, as well as the savannah and the other animals. This movie is quite old and is drawn very well considering it is so old. I love this movie. It is beautiful and memorable. In my opinion, it's the best Disney movie ever made. 1994 is when it was made and it is still being watched today. The movie reminds me of my childhood since I grew up and lived in Africa for 8 years of my life. What an excellent movie it is. I think people should continue watching it over the years!
Adult Written byJediQueen April 9, 2008

Good but violent.

This movie is good but the last scenes and even some of the first are a little scary and depressing. The end battle is very violent and we see blood fly every time a lion gets hit. this movie also has a bit of a somber mood but it is sucessfully broken with Timon and Pummba they are both great for the kids. This Move also contains a strong Nazi reference but this won't affect the kids, but you might find your child goose stepping be warned.