All member reviews for The Lion King

Teen, 16 years old Written byBlueDragonMaster98 June 6, 2010

Great

One of the best disney movies. There are mixed messages- revenge, mainly. Scar wants to rule to make things his way (since his brother was first in line), and Simba wants to kill Scar for killing his dad (but also to save the land). It will make little kids cry, and the role models aren't that great. Still, it's a must-see for disney.
Kid, 12 years old February 16, 2014

Too dark for young children....

It was violent and dark, too much for young children. Also very sad.
Kid, 11 years old June 4, 2014

Be prepared, for an epic movie.

I am afraid your kid would not want to watch this because of no humans, but give them some time to get interested in watching it. Most kids get interested in watching it around 10. Yes, sensitive kids will have to view a character's death to a stampede (viewed by his son) and another character being killed by hyenas (offscreen) The second half of the film is when it gets intense. If your child starts crying or anything, turn it off. Simba is haunted by his father's death throughout the second half. Also, be careful about the romance between Simba and Nala; it can be grossing out to viewers sensitive to sex. That is all you need to worry about.
Kid, 12 years old June 28, 2013

Great film, but very dark for young kids, even for a G rated movie.

I like this movie, a great disney achievement without PIXAR! Sexual Content: None, but there is very mild flirting and romance. Language: Pause, the hyenas say "shut up". Don't know about stupid though, very mild language. Violence: Off and Pause, lots of violence, Mufasa being killed, Scar telling that Simba did it, that is not what kids should be hearing or seeing, today I saw this with my sister and I will talk with her about the violence in the film. The battle in the end is super violent for a superior R rated movie. Positive Messages, role models, and educational value: On, a lot of good models and messages, the characters will teach kids including Simba Hakuna Matata, meaning no worries, which Timon, Pumbaa and Simba sing. Otherwise, great Walt Disney film, my MPAA Rating: PG for very mild sex and language, and violence.
Kid, 12 years old August 5, 2010

Consumer Advice

The bestest movie ever made in 1994, but what an absolute disgrace about the intensity in the movie, the hyena gets scratched in the cheek, Mufasa gets killed, the female lions run the hyenas out-of-town and Scar's throat is cut open, but still the film is mild on violence but moderate on dangerous behaviour. THE FOLLOWING FILM IS RATED: PG, Mild Violence, Scary Images, Emotional Intensity and Dangerous Behaviour.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPuppyluv13 November 17, 2009

Teen, 13 years old Written byMaddy Jay April 9, 2008

Kid, 12 years old June 30, 2014

Should be PG

This film is rated G but I think it should be PG because they try to kill samba at a young age,it is also a little scary.Otherwise it's a great film.
Teen, 15 years old Written byKingsguard February 16, 2013

A 90s Masterpiece

Review: A Disney masterpiece that focuses on the story line of a lion monarchy struck by traitor ship of family members. Often contains representations of real life situations that have positive moral codes and show loyalty, compassion, heroism and love. Set in Africa where Lions live on a rock as kings, the pride still retains the nature of hunting, but also explain that the animals also have their share as they die and become that grass that is eaten. MAINLY CONTAINS: Violence: 1/10 Violence is absolutely minimal in the lion king. There are scenes of lions battling and small scars being shown. There is one scene where a lion falls off a cliff which may upset some. Peril: 3/10 There are some scary scenes in the lion king, especially for children. Hyaenas are shown as sadistic and cruel carnivores. The main villain is shown as a lion with a secret malice for the monarchy and does terrible things to obtain power. Language: 2/10 There are sometimes informal terms used. These are not of a bad nature. Overall: 6/30 (0.2) I would recommend this to anyone. As far as the film goes, it is excellent, but often expresses itself in a very cliche manner, but compensates that with a great story line.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySweetDisposition January 2, 2011

And this is why 90's Disney reigns supreme.

The Lion King is a great movie- I first watched it at age 6, but some parents might consider the film too graphic for their kids. Simba is a great role model, the songs are catchy and nice to listen to, and the animation is great. An all around enjoyable film, your child must watch this at some point in their life.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytaylorlaunterluver July 7, 2010

possitive messaGE

it teaches kids how to face ur problems and how not to run away frm them and act as if they never were there
Teen, 14 years old Written byMariodude23 March 25, 2010

One of the best!

I think that it is a wonderful film, certainly one of the best. The characters are endearing and enduring, the songs are absolutely magnificent, and the tough choices the main character has to go through are something that a real person would be biting their nails over! I love it, and I think everyone should see it at least once. Suitable for all ages. There is some iffy stuff, but it is downplayed. Asides from the natural violence of lions in consideration of their pride, the villain, (uncle Scar), sings a potentially frightening song to his hyena minions. But that's not what I'm worried about, kids can take almost anything, whether it be frightening, romantic, or sad so long as the movie is good and the ending is happy. Before I get on with 'the point' I just want to give you the basis for my thesis. I have have a serious depression and I watched the Fox and the Hound and I was so happily-sad that it nearly changed my life. I watched Oliver and Company just under a year ago, I felt like turning it off! It wasn't as sad as 'FatH' or Land Before Time, but it was also not as good as either of them. Now that I have shared that piece with you let me get on: 'Be Prepared' is potentially frightening, but you shouldn't be intimidated by that, but (especially if you're Jewish), you should be cautious of a certain part of the song. The scenario goes that; Scar is standing on a rock podium dictating to his minions who are doing the straight legged march! Since I'm not Jewish I can't really say, but if I was then I would be pretty scared of a Disney film that could turn a bunch of hyenas into the third Reich! Hope you found it
Teen, 13 years old Written bypicardisbetter April 28, 2015

One of the best if not the best Disney movie ever

Hamlet was one of the better Shakespearean plays out there. Meaning that any film adaptations must be just as good. The Lion King was better. The animation was brilliant, the action sequences were just right and the characters were just awesome. The musical numbers was the icing on the cake
Teen, 13 years old Written byAudra_Nicolio March 2, 2015

;~D

This, Monsters Inc., and The incredibles have been the fuel of my childhood ( I think we bought this DVD 3 different times in 3 years because I was handling it so much). The vilence is not to bad, and I find the scene where simbas dad dies heroic, as the father died to save his son.
Kid, 11 years old February 27, 2015

Great Disney Classic, but a little scary.

Great songs and story. But there are scary moments. 1. Mofasa dies 2. Mofasa's ghost appears 3. SCAR SCAR IS SOOOOO CREEPY!!!! Scar scared the pants off me as a little kid.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhis_nala1 October 13, 2014

this is an awesome movie

I think this is the best movie for kids i have seen it again again again and i still love it i know every word. I love it it i will always love the lion king, when i baby sit all the kids think its awesme
Teen, 14 years old Written bymrnewbe October 3, 2014

Love this

The first time I watched this film, I cried when Mufasa died, and was terrified by the hyenas. I was six then, now I can say after watching it again, in 3d in 2011, it is THE BEST DISNEY FILM EVER MADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 10 years old August 25, 2014

OK

OK, so I only saw part of this movie and I don't understand how it is scary and I would not like to spoil this movie for little ones. It's a spectacular movie though.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySuperheroguy77 August 17, 2014

EXTREME VIOLENCE

EXTREME VIOLENCE MEANS THIS IS NOT FOR KIDS !!!!!!
Kid, 9 years old August 15, 2014

good cartoon but some violence

good movie but some violence like when someone abandons his brother and kills him and blame someone else