All member reviews for The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning

Before the prince, Ariel discovers music's magic.

Teen, 13 years old Written bygolden96 August 17, 2009

The little mermaid 3

Love it and im 12 good for babysitting
Teen, 14 years old Written byBugie78 July 30, 2012

First one is better

Ok, I love the first one, second one ok, but this one, makes me cry. I say it is more for little kids then the first one. I love Ariel, and not seeing Prince Eric, or Scuttle, just made me cry. They didn't do a good job on this film, I hate the animation, I perfer older animation, there really not any touching scene for me. And it just made me cry that how bad it was for me :(. Plus u would think the third one would be about Ariel's daughter, grown up or something like that. I do like however they kept the same voice actor for all 3 movies lol.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 August 9, 2010

A good prequel to The Little Mermaid

This was a good prequel to The Little Mermaid. We get to see Ariel's mother and what she was like. Unfortantly, it looks like she was killed by pirates (now we know why Ariel's father hates humans). And Ariel's sisters have larger roles so it's cool to see their personality's. But in this movie Flounder and Ariel meet when Ariel's a teen, however in the series they met when Ariel was just a kid. But that's not as confushing as the making Flounder brave! Why? But other than that it's a really good prequel, not as good as the first but still good.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byFumblingAngel July 16, 2010

Not Appropriate for Toddlers

This movie, although it's Disney, is too scary for kids. My 2 year old son happened to come in the room when it was being played for our roommate's daughter, watched the scene when the pirated come with their ship and is "killed", basically. Not physically, but you don't see her after. He was very concerned and continued to ask "Ariel's Mommy ok? Mommy ok"? He was very worried and scared. Definitely NOT OK for 2-3 year olds.
Adult Written byisabellav November 7, 2014

Great Family Film, as any other disney film

I am a long time disney fan, and I was thoroughly impressed with this movie. There is great music, a wonderful message for children, emotion, a fabulous villain and all the components that make a great family animation. It is not as wonderful as the first little mermaid, but for a prequel, it is definitely worth a watch.
Teen, 15 years old Written byHainesama123 September 25, 2014

Pathetic and evil

All of the Disney movies are bad but this is the worst movie yet. Disney is a evil company trying to brainwash and corrupt young kids into buying their merchandise and nagging their parents into taking them to Disney world. I am telling this from the experience I have had. Not all of Disney is evil such as Kingdom Hearts manga, The Stitch! Anime, and Kilala princess.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byWeedPuller September 11, 2014

Only for Ariel fans

The animation and music don't meet the standard of The Little Mermaid, or even of #2, Return to the Sea. The sisters are stereotypical femmes, fighting over mirror space, for example. The villain is really into fashion and wears wigs. Subtle stereotypes and Princess marketing aside, there's little cause for concern in this movie. But be aware that the mom's death and dad's (Triton's) depression, plus the electric eel minions of the villain could upset sensitive kids. The eels are introduced as scary, dangerous mystery creatures, kept in a cage. When you finally see them they're not that scary, but until then they are a bit dark.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byinesdeportugal November 2, 2012

No need for kiss a boy reference

We thought this film was really good. It's such a pity there is a sister mermaid that keeps talking about how much she wants to kiss a boy - this is not supposed to be a teen movie.
Adult Written bydanielleb November 25, 2011

Skip The First Scene!

We skip the opening scene when we watch this movie because my daughter is only 2 and very sensitive to when "bad things" happen in movies. She doesn't fully understand the absence of Ariel's mommy, but I just tell her Ariel and Ariel's Daddy miss her. She seems to accept that and enjoy the movie after. As a parent, I don't appreciate that Ariel's dad is (once again) portrayed as an unyielding drill sergeant. However, in the end the family comes together and music is allowed back in the ocean. The villain in this movie is harmless, has cute songs of her own, and turns good at the end. A rather innocent film featuring my daughter's favorite Princess.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 June 27, 2011

Fun Disney Prequel Doesn't Ruin The Original

Again as is very often with Disney sequels they are fun but not that great. Flounder acts out of character (imagine Alvin the chipmunk from his new movie version and turn him into a fish). Queen Athena (Ariel's mother) probably dies from an attack from a ship. All the good guys especially Ariel are kind and loving. Sally Field as Marina Del Ray was wonderful.
Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byqtnn January 11, 2009

Teen, 16 years old Written byandy89 November 19, 2008

i love it

i think it's cool and wonderful and a great way to show how ariel's story begins and i think it'good for all ages and you will have good time with this movie