All member reviews for The Lone Ranger

Teen, 15 years old Written byStemma21 July 3, 2013

Long, violent movie; just not as thrilling as expected

A man has his heart cut out, and that is pretty graphic, but the rest of the violence isn't graphic at all. Shootouts and fighting scattered throughout. A good amount of innuendo. This dragged a bit too much, and just didn't meet expectations.
Teen, 14 years old Written byShawn Lewis July 3, 2013

Tonto is not as good as jack sparrow, but funny.

This movie isn't as good as you'd expect, but age appropriate for teens.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStevie111 September 28, 2013

Violent, boring western is definitely too long

Teen, 14 years old Written bybob555bob July 30, 2013

Not for Kids Under 13

This movie was good, but very violent. Being set in the time that it is, there is a lot of drinking and smoking. I would not recommend kids under 13 see this movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNo Name, for real. August 8, 2013

Not nearly as bad as I thought.

This movies dreadful mistake is not to end an hour and 40 minutes into it, even worse it goes on for another hour. But I didn't mind it at all, its just the message that it sent was more serve revenge than justice. That and the villain is overly evil and scumbagish. But whatever the rest of the movie is pretty good.
Teen, 16 years old Written bywillman72 July 28, 2013

best jack sparrow movie

funny movies only part that made me choose 14+ is the guy eating the mans heart you dont see it but the sounds are full on
Teen, 15 years old Written byCaroline Briar Rose July 3, 2013

EPICNESS!

Ok, so I saw the Lone Ranger premiere and it was AAAAWWWEEESSSOOOMMMEEE! It was just AAAAMMMZZZIIINNNGGG! and Helena was GENIUS with her character, Johnny was FREAKING AMAZING and SURPRISINGLY HOT! Armie Hammer was eye-candy! and his comedic timing was genius! William Fichtner was just an awesome Butch Cavendish and made me want to just stand up and throw a knife at the screen! Nice Job, Will! and the plot line was fun...There is cannibalism (briefly), but not much and it relates to the plot line. Another thing I love, there is a lot of violence, but it all relates to the plot line, NONE of it is overdone. THIS is a summer movie to rave about!
Kid, 12 years old January 5, 2014

Get off this Movies Back

Pretty funny and putting the show aside one of the better movies I've seen. Under Rated by critics, uses the theme at the best possible time, pretty good.
Kid, 12 years old July 29, 2013

Exceedingly long runtime for such a small plot

I went to this movie with my friends, and I was pretty disappointed by what I saw. The movie was way too long, and I regretted sitting in the theater for TWO HOURS for this. I was more focused on my candy than the movie. Also recommend closing your eyes during the heart-eating scene.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovielover7271 July 10, 2013

Hiho silver away! Great fun

Hiho silver, AWAY!!! The movie event of the summer is here and is sure to please most audiences. The Lone Ranger is pretty much pirates of the caribbean out west. This movie is getting bad reviews but if you are a pirates of the caribbean fan those critics. This movie is very high on violence including cannibalism (like eating a dead rangers heart) and strong gunshots with a good level of blood too. Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer were great casting picks and Johnny Depp is a very funny Tonto. We took my 8 yr old brother and he had his head in my moms shoulders a lot he just tensed up a little because he wasn't like that at Jurassic Park 3D or Iron Man 3 I could tell because before the Lone Ranger we had trailers for Elysium, The Wolverine, pacific rim, RIPD, Delivery Man and Thor 2 which he's seen most of those but he still had his head in my mom's shoulders. Our family friends took their 4 yr old and he loved it. The content and intense violence isn't really appropriate for young ones under ages 10-12+ but if you think your kid can handle 2.5 hours of nonstop action than take them because this movie is great fun. Grade A-
Teen, 17 years old Written bynate7 July 5, 2013

A Long Movie with some Great Action Scenes

I really enjoyed this movie. I don't understand why it's not well-liked, because it seemed decently done to me, and certainly entertaining for being two and a half hours long. The action scenes, especially the opening and closing train sequences, were cleverly laid out and very entertaining to watch. The middle dragged out a bit, but still, it proved to be entertaining enough. There was a little language but nothing bad for PG-13, and the movie did well depicting the times it took place, as there was rightly drinking and racism. I found the story difficult to follow at times, but at the end it wrapped up well and everything tied together perfectly to make a thrilling ending. The thing that might make this movie inappropriate for some audiences is the violence. In a gruesome scene, the villain cuts a main characters heart out of their body and is implied to eat it. There was also lots of shooting and killing, but not much blood was shone for the most part.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCheer_Guru73 July 10, 2013

I was expecting Ronto!

There was much more violence than I expected. I noticed plenty of suggestive content - sexual and violent. I'm 14 years old and I had to cover my eyes and ears because some of the gore was disturbing. You see men and horses being shot, the main antagonist is a cannibal but you don't actually see people being eaten, there is a brothel but it didn't really show anything, a man is shot in the rear end, another man moves his hand sexually up Red's peg leg, there is lots of drinking and racism. The action scenes were dragged on for quite some time and it grew to be a bit boring. There wasn't much chemistry between the characters with the exception of Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter - although they barely had a scene together. Personally, I don't think Helena had enough screen time and she was fantastic. The bromance between Tonto and The Lone Ranger was light-hearted and cute. The trains weren't the only things exploding because my ovaries did to because Armie Hammer was so darn attractive and he was a very positive role model. I was sad that there wasn't much romance. If you enjoy gore and violence then this film is for you.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybecuzimbatman July 9, 2013

The lone ranger is not as good as expected but a decent film

I just saw the Lone ranger yesterday with my friend of the same age and we were both entertained and realized the plot holes and mistakes. We are both 11 and we were very disturbed by 2 scenes in this movie. One being a scene were we see the villain cut out an important characters heart and eat it like an animal, we later see a man vomit and another man hand the villain a hankerchief to wipe the blood and flesh off the mans face. And another being the Lone Ranger shooting a rope connected to a log of wood and the wood collapsing on 2 bad guys heads, we see a pool of blood around the log and the crushed remainders of their bodies
Teen, 15 years old Written byFox101 July 7, 2013

Thoroughly (If Mindlessly) Entertaining

The story of The Lone Ranger has its name dragged through the mud with this remake; because it is known for being well-paced, and well-written. This movie is neither, but what it does is provide A LOT of action (Not just dumb stuff either, brilliant sequences that will astound all). Things explode around our two main characters, and things work out a little too conveniently...... Which will either drive you out of your mind with annoyance, or on the contrary, if you can manage not to think at all about it, add to the allure of the film. Important supporting characters die throughout, which adds to the illusion that this film has a plot but quite the opposite. In fact, if the writers had had the title character shot through the head and killed in the first fifteen minutes, no one would have cared. No, forget that, even after the attempted character development for the first hour, kill him then, and no one would care. This is not to say Arnie Hammer is a poor actor; he's great in this movie, but all of its elements combine for a dumb, loud action flick, with an enormously high body count (including, again, a lot of main characters that no one cares about). The only character worth mentioning is Tonto, where Depp steals the show for about 10 minutes, before the explosions return. This should have been called something along the lines of, "Tonto: An Origin Story", because, if we're being honest, he's the main character, and this movie is really a poor remake of its source material. But labeled as a different franchise, this would have been much more appealing, because the audience would've expected something different. The 'plot' is boring, the characters are cut-out card-board targets for the constant bullets (with the exception of Tonto), but the movie delivers with enough action to more than revive the film; but make it completely astounding! Every action sequence borders on slap-stick, with each event setting itself up for more, perfectly timed action. Don't go for a good story; go to shut off your mind for a while, and watch a very funny, action-filled, violent thriller. Manage your expectations, and if you're someone who likes this type of movie you'll be clambering to slap your money down and buy this the second it gets out (I know I am). If you enjoy this genre, you'll watch this twice in a row without getting sick of it, and many times after that. But if you enjoy any type of thoughtfulness in films, or a good story, don't bother.
Teen, 14 years old Written byironkid21 October 16, 2013

Surprisingly action-packed and entertaining western TV adaptation

Teen, 14 years old Written byHeq073198 July 22, 2013

Doesn't deserve the media hate

This movie was so surprisingly good. I went with my friend for her birthday because it was the one she wanted to see, but I was pleasantly surprised. Plenty of laughs and plenty of heart. I honestly don't understand the terrible reviews. I was surprised at the body count, since this is a Disney movie after all. As for it having a "lack of cultural competency," the main thought in my head after leaving the theater was that this movie was attempting to make a statement of the United State's mistreatment of the Native Americans. Offensive? I don't quite know how. I think the fact that the US slaughtered countless tribes for land using disturbing methods such as giving them small pox infected living supplies is far more disconcerting than the portrayal in a movie. If anything, I think the movie brings to light certain issues that many history classes seem to skip over for the sake of patriotism.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLone Ranger 33 July 18, 2013

the Best movie in 2013!

this is one of the BEST Lone Rangers I've EVER seen. i highly recremend it!
Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviebuff6996 July 2, 2013

The Lone Ranger is an inconsistent movie but pulls through with plenty of humor and well done action scenes.

I went to the 9:00pm showing on Tuesday July 2nd to see The Lone Ranger.The Positives for the film are the acting(Johnny Depp actually made a really good Tonto and William Fichtner was a sinisterly evil Butch Cavendish), the chemistry between The Lone Ranger and Tonto was great, the camera shots were breathtakingly well shot, the music score was spectacular(Hans Zimmer did a really good job), the story was good(a little complicated and predictable but in a good way), the narration was passable(I liked how Tonto told the story via flashback), the action scenes were coherent(something many films now a day’s lack), the set pieces were solid(I loved how they chose practical effects over CGI, which made the movie feel very realistic), and finally there were plenty of laughs(most of them coming from Tonto). The only negatives are the pace (uneven), the length (it’s a little too long at a hundred and fifty minutes), the tone is inconsistent (At times really funny and then all of a sudden gets really serious), the messages seemed to try and be politically correct (something that was a bit distracting at times), and some elements of the story are stolen from other movies (The Mask of Zorro and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly come to mind). In the end, The Lone Ranger is an inconsistent movie but is still thoroughly entertaining. I would recommend this film. --For Parents, there was a surprising amount of violence that is at times gory. The main villain is a cannibal who eats out the heart of one of the men. It’s done off screen (but you can see the act done through literally one of the men’s eyes) as well as there are plenty of shoot outs and explosions. Language is mild (about fifteen uses of the D word and H word total) and a brief scene in a brothel (women are in clothing of that time period).
Kid, 12 years old April 8, 2015

So Amazing!

This movie is so awesome and amazing I don't know why it received such bad reviews. I don't think there is more violence then the hobbit though.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJocastaTheWeird March 21, 2015

Nearly as fun as Pirates of the Caribbean

Basically the wild west version of PotC. It actually has a bit less iffy stuff than PotC, though, especially if you count all four movies. Has all the same sorts of iffy stuff that PotC does, so I don't feel as though I need to list all that?* It's funny, though, with likable (and despicable) characters, and it's pretty historically accurate, as near as I can tell. It doesn't ignore the horrible injustices done to the Amerindians. What I mean is, it doesn't make them the bad guys; it doesn't make them into just "savages." They're portrayed well. Oh, but watch out for the bit o' cannibalism (from a white man.)