All parent member reviews for The Lorax

Adult Written byage 10+ May 27, 2012

Great Animated Flick For The Family!

Parent Written bymomof2plus April 28, 2012

Loved The Lorax!

Personally I thought it was much better than the 1970's version and a great adaptation of the book! Cute characters, passion for the environment (even though it started from the girl he likes who is passionate about saving the Truffala trees in the end it becomes his mission too thanks to the Once-ler), lots of fun and funny moments. Our family loved it and came out of the theater in a great mood and so happy that we went to it. It's a feel good movie and great to celebrate Earth Day even though it has passed now! Love that 7th generation is tying into The Lorax advertising as they are earth friendly as well:-). As far as the other ads that include the Lorax well at least it's advertising a true family movie.
Adult Written byRSS April 21, 2012

Earth Day Movie

Great movie for Earth Day! The Lorax movie is based on the 1970s Dr. Seuss book, but the lesson of the story remains the same. Don't get confused with the "politics" of the movie. It turns out some merchandise habits have yet to be broken after many years the original book was written. Great movie to see before starting a garden or environment clean up.
Parent Written bySMPug April 19, 2012

Ease up! Fun flick, cute music, good take-away message.

After reading parent reviews, decided to take a chance with my 4 y/o son, to whom I have been reading this book for more than two years. I was happy I didn't listen to the negative reviewers! Of course, it wasn't the same as the book, the movie never is the same as the book. I was happy that we had read the book so many times...THAT is The Lorax WE know. BUT, this was just fun! I searched for all of the "consumerism", and thought that complaint was a bit overstated by reviewers. I was watching for Pepsi cans all over the place, but never saw such things. I also never saw the "tree murderer" message strongly conveyed that others indicated concern about. The relationship between the younger Once-ler and The Lorax was much more developed than the book, in a good way, which was a neat addition. At no point did anything scare my son. And although he's generally a pretty sensitive boy, nothing was presented in a way that triggered any waterworks. Cute, cute, cute. Kids will love it! Fun adaptation of the book. Go! My son danced through the end credits and all the way to the lobby.
Educator and Parent of a 6, 9, and 12 year old Written byLa Familia Natural April 7, 2012

Redeemed by the Lorax' message

Even without considering the distribution monopoly, and extensive marketing is being done and will continue to be on the products of Dr. Seuss, the movie "The Lorax" is totally salvageable. It is amazing how this man manages, through his poems capture the feelings of those who have to continue living in the city but feel, deep down in our soul, is beyond ... If you do not mind cartoons and some ambience in the style of Broadway musical theater, it is highly recommendable for viewing with or without children ...Let it grow!
Adult Written byL'sMama April 7, 2012

Family Friendly

A family friendly movie, with a few intense scenes for my five year old, but mostly, no super scary villains like some "kids" movies. The overall message was positive and there was very little I objected to. One use of the word "idiot" and a little boy with a crush who gets a kiss. Pretty harmless stuff in a movie filled with positives. Does not follow the book exactly, FYI.
Parent Written byDude's Mom April 6, 2012

A reasonable first movie to see in the theatre

Parent of a 5 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 April 6, 2012

lorax

my kids love this
Parent Written bywood12piper April 3, 2012

Good but....

I took my 4 year old daughter and we enjoyed it, except for the last 10 minutes. As usual, the end of the movie included the same harried peril that lasts too long but is present in all big production children's movies. It seems if the main characters aren't facing obliteration and death at the end, the movie just doesn't get made. Do these movie makers have children? Overall, the movie had a good message and kept her attention, but obviously I was disappointed with the (near the)end sequence when it continued at fever pitch and started crying.
Parent Written bywood12piper April 3, 2012

Good but...

Parent Written byheather s April 1, 2012

Dr Suess Would Not Be Pleased

The film has loads of bright and colorful imagery and nothing really scary, but there is physical fighting between characters and name calling (idiot) which Dr. Suess would most likely not have approved. It's a musical and the song lyrics will go over the heads of most kids which is just as well because the message of the book gets butchered along the way. I wish my family hadn't seen it.
Parent Written byJLFM April 1, 2012

Good Time Waster

Movie Score: 5/10 Family Friendliness Score: 9/10 Summary: The movie wasn't very good, but my kids loved it, and there's almost no questionable content.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bycaribbeandream March 30, 2012

Dr Seuss would be proud but scarier that you would expect

My son and I really loved this movie but I have to take CSM to task for rating this OK for 5yo. First of all, this is a PG rated movie. Second, although the scary parts of the movie end quickly (and positively) they will still scare very young and very sensitive children. Last, but not least, like many others mentioned, the previews will make you cringe and almost ruin the movie going experience for you. Parents might want to consider arriving a little late and skipping them.
Adult Written byJEDI micah March 30, 2012

SO CUTE!!!

This movie should have been rated G, because I didn't see anything innapropriate for little kids. It is a cute movie for kids of all ages and it teaches people to have a care for the environment! The songs are also nice to sing along, and the voice cast is excellent! If Dr. Seuss was alive, I think he would be impressed with this movie!
Parent of a 12 and 12 year old Written bymamakinzy March 26, 2012

Lorax entertains

I brought my older kids to see this movie because we are all Seuss fans in our house. The kids and I enjoyed it and found the animation to be great and the music catchy. They enjoyed the woodland creatures and Grammy, voiced by Betty White. (she was a highlight!) That said, I was struck by the very distinct sides in the movie- you either loved the earth and protected it or you had a complete disregard for it. While the book reminds us all to care for and respect the environment, the movie is a bit polarizing and doesn't show that corporations can give back or do some good too. I would not recommend the movie to children under age 6 because there were some scary moments in the movie that may be upsetting to the little ones in your life. The movie also had strong displays of consumerism, which is clearly important to the storyline, but parents should take note. I do think there are positive messages that come from The Lorax: from protecting the environment, to respecting others and standing up for what is right, I think parents will have a lot of good things to talk about with their kids when the movie is over.
Parent Written bymamabird2012 March 25, 2012

A brightly colored, good humored story about the Golden Rule... :)

I took my almost 5 year old to this movie and I'll tell you why I'm glad I did... Not only is it a whimsical portrayal of Dr. Seuss, but it was done perfectly to the books he created. It's a story about what happens when we as consumers forget about the enviornment. Now, I'm no tree-hugging hippy by any stretch of the imagination, but it's such a great story about what happens when we take and take and take but never give back to our surroundings. My daughters eyes were lit up like Christmas trees at the animation. After the movie, we had a discussion on why it's important to save power and recycle, and how it helps the little fishes and bears and trees around us. She's been turning the water off while she brushes and helps out making sure the lights are off in her room if she leaves it. These are all small things we all should be doing anyway (if not to reduce mommy and daddy's power bills). We also enjoy reading Seuss books at bedtime and picked this one up to add to our collection. :) All in all, I thought the story was wonderful. It was a little long-winded in some parts, but it captured what Seuss was looking for when he wrote the book all those years ago.
Adult Written byblah blaher March 24, 2012

awesome

i loved the movie but it might be a bit scary for really young kids so just to point that out and it teaches a important lesson about saving trees.
Parent Written byFrankinf March 24, 2012

Some kids won't get it

This is a great movie for kids but some young ones will not get it, because it is alot to take in
Parent Written byCommonSenseDadof3 March 21, 2012

Disappointed :-(

The movie had it's cute and even good moments, but the majority of the movie theme is about how terrible it is to cut down a tree. The first one that's cut down by the Onceler was just as the other reviewer said - like murdering a tree - that's why the Lorax shows up in the first place. Never mind that he was going to use the tree to produce something - he was killing a tree. The next little part was a better message - he was still going to use the part of the tree he needed, but was only going to harvest that part (presumably it grows back like leaves) without having to cut any trees down. In the end though, he cuts down all the trees until there are none left. THAT is terribly irresponsible and something you can definitely talk to your kids about. By the way, not a very smart businessman to say the least since he never replenished his resources by planting trees/seedlings as he harvested :-) Oh, and as you can read by some of the comments of other reviewers, SUVs and RVs are also demonized. It doesn't matter that's what the Onceler's family lived in while they worked for him, it's made to be totally over the top. Of course, just like all people that drive RVs and SUVs, they are terrible people ;-)
Parent Written bytwinmommie March 18, 2012

Ok, not great, and NOT a NEW story for those offended by taking care of the environment.

I didn't like this movie. I disagree with those who complain about the "Al Gore" messages. Seriously, this based on a story written in 1971. Al Gore has nothing to do with it. We need to take care of the earth no matter what side of the isle you vote with, so get over that. Now, as far as the movie goes. It is a beautiful 3d movie. The story strays from the book. I don't like the addition of the villian, but I guess they had to stretch it to 90 minutes from 30 somehow. My 7 year old son thought it was scary and violent. He wanted to leave. He disliked Cars 2 for the same reasons. My 7 year old daughter loved it. (already liking the romantic scenes.. uh oh..) We went out and bought the original after seeing this. I like the original best. Why didn't they use the rhymes more? They did use the words id**t and d**n, my kids pointed that out to me on the ride home too. I wish I hadn't wasted my money and had just bought the original in the first place. So many of my friends liked it... I am not sure why. The songs are ok, the orginal were better. There is less emphasis on the Lorax telling the Onceler about the poor animals, and more emphasis on dazzeling pictures and effects that are suspensful... not great for kids that are sensitive. There was also some horrible trailer for a 3d Kids movie about ghosts... great.. My son had his head in the seat and his ears covered. I really wish theaters would drop the trailers and commercials.. or state the REAL start times of the movies.