All parent member reviews for The Lorax

Adult Written bystuffing13 March 4, 2012

I wish I knew

The movie was cute and not too far out of the realm of the book. However, based on what I read from this site's review, I formed the opinion that there weren't really any scary moments. I chose to take my 4 year old and even though she tells me now that it wasn't scary, there were quite a few moments that she ended up in my lap or covering her eyes; thunder and lightning before the lorax shows up, when the onceler first looks through the window, and some of the intimidation moments from the bottled air guy - I'm sure there were more. Nothing lasted long and everything ends well, but if you have a sensitive child, there may be a moment or two with their face in your shoulder. The SCARIEST part was actually one of the previews for a movie called "ParaNorman". It's a cartoonish movie about a kids who sees dead people. As you can imagine, his dead friends are not all nice looking and the preview was quite scary!
Parent Written bylogicaldad March 3, 2012

disapointing.

I just came back from watching this movie with my 5 year old kid. I will have lots of explaining to do. The movie go to an over reach attempt to demonize business man or the use of natural resources. I hope my kid does not feel guilty for sitting on a wooden chair as it's made of the corpse of a murdered tree. This kind of movie as they are highly political and never offer a constructive message as to using the planets resources responsibly (i.e. trees). Message in this movie is that you cut a tree you are a murderer.
Parent Written bybaltimore joe silk March 4, 2012

Junk Food for your Eyes and Ears

This movie is not for children who can't already recognize that attitudes expressed in a film may not be appropriate or representative of real life. But every cloud has a silver lining: The film would be very good for teaching bad writing. Junk food makers spend their money on packaging, not nutritional content. It's cheaper and easier. That's what this movie is: A junk food version of Dr Seuss. Beautiful, to attract you, but empty, even negative at the core.
Parent Written bykoj1 March 3, 2012

Disappointed!

Disappointing! It was too long, the first half was too slow, and those with an adopted child need to be aware of an insensitive comment on the theme.
Parent Written byOrson1989 March 21, 2012

Give me a Break

The film is not suggesting that your child should feel guilty for sitting in a wooden chair. The film's message is that people should use natural resources in a responsible way and not destroy the planet in the process of using those natural resources. Think of it like drinking. Drinking occasionally is fine and can be good for your health. Being an alcoholic, however, is an overuse of alcohol and is not good for your health. The film's message is telling kids they should not be "alcoholics". Using natural resources in a responsible way is a message that every parent should want his or her child to understand.
Parent Written bydrothschild0 March 4, 2012

The Lorax is too scary for little kids.

If you are protective about what your children watch on tv, DO NOT take them to see The Lorax. There were two previews that were terrifying and the movie itself was scary. We had to leave 30 minutes into it. Totally disappointing...
Parent of a 6 year old Written byAidens_Mommy January 30, 2013

Finally a kids movie I feel good about!

I was very (pleasantly) surprised by this movie! I am so used to movies that attempt to desensitize our kids so I was very happy to see this movie had a great story and left the theater feeling very good about it. Even the other Dr. Suess movies have questionable scenes (The Cat in the Hat, The Grinch) so I was expecting to see some things in this one that I would have to explain to my six year old, but nope, this one is an actual kids movie! But don't think that parents won't like it, too.. I loved it! I have re-watched it several times with my son and the end makes me choke up every time. =)
Educator and Parent Written byCindyBroxbeath April 16, 2012

Good

Amazing move, me and my boyfriend Steve saw it.
Parent Written byJessiesmom March 5, 2012

Watch out for the trailer of ParaNormal -- too scary for kids!

Just a warning to parents -- My movie theater showed a trailer to ParaNorman which totally freaked out my kids -- 1st and 3rd grade. Especially my 1st grader who only watched a second of it before covering her eyes for the remainder. The image stuck in her mind and came back to her when it was time to go to bed. She was crying that she couldn't stop thinking about it. And this is unusual for my daughter. And I know the movie is rated PG, but they are marketing this film to first graders -- her teacher read the book to the class the week of the opening and they made the trees as a craft. I think the movie was fine for her to watch, but the trailer was not!
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byloved February 27, 2015

Not as good as the book or the original cartoon

The computer animation may look beautiful, but that's about the only real substance to be found. The environmental message can get lost in the rather bizarrely structured songs. The character are not the least likable, in that they're not very developed. The only real character with depth is the Once-ler, whom is more likable as a deranged corporate monster than as a creepy, hermit-like man. The film itself is not very coherent, and drags about after the first few songs. It seems more like it would've been appropriate as a television special, like the original, and not a theatrical film. And despite being an anti-corporate film, as I stated, the corporate/consumerism scenes are the only memorability to be found.
Parent of a 9 and 9 year old Written bytheroux May 19, 2013

We all loved it!

Great and entertaining film for the entire family with a very positive message.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 11 year old Written byCassidy D. May 5, 2013

3 Cheers for the Furry Orange Peanut!!!

This is my girls favorite movie! They think it is hilarious and love talking about "The Furry Orange Peanut". It has a really good message about protecting nature and we have created "The Lorax Garden" at our house. It is a great movie and my girls are always reading the book. This movie is amazing!
Adult Written bySTRIDER9 April 7, 2013

See it please?!

This is a sweet movie with a heart touching message. Makes me wish i could do more in this world to help!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written byjenovaii March 7, 2013

Sexism and Abuse

My major problem with this movie was the fact that Ted was doing everything to attract Audrey. He didn't care about trees or the environment or anything, and this was even called out during the film in a quite sexist remark from the Once-ler's side: "If a guy does something stupid one time, it's because he's a guy. If he does the same stupid thing twice, it's because of a girl." Then, at the end, it seems like Ted suddenly grows a conscious and decides to plant the seed for the greater good of the town. That's not the only inexplicable 180 that characters tend to do. The relationship between the Lorax and Once-ler also seems a bit contrived, with Lorax trying to get rid of and then saving Once-ler and...that kind of ends their character development. Where the relationship between Once-ler and his family could be explored, it is merely explained away and falls flat. This could have been a series of empowering scenes detailing how controlling and "poisonous" relationships, even within families, are not healthy, but instead it's overlooked. So: Sexism, ignoring abusive families, not developing potentially great characters. I'm sure there is a message about polluting and conservation in there, but it seems random and tacked-on rather than the main focus. Read the book instead.
Adult Written byJanvierRain February 8, 2013

Brilliant

This movie probably is my favorite 3D-CGI movie. The acting is incredible, the songs, the animation, the story- it's all amazing. It has the perfect balance of action, humor, and sweetness- everything you EXPECT in a children's movie. Most of the songs I can't get out of my head, and I don't mind it! ('Cause they rock.) The only bad thing I have to say about it is, there seems to be a high focus on saving the trees (what basically the whole movie is about) I find the whole "save the planet"- "go green" agenda ridiculous and quite annoying.
Parent Written byShugocharafan88 January 7, 2013

OK now YOU'RE the one thats overreacting.

listen. everyone likes to get FEEDBACK. not INSULTS.
Adult Written byBperk23 October 30, 2012

Environment

The movie is a great learning movie about the environment and why trees are important to us.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 11, 2012

This is the 3rd best movie my eyes and I have ever seen!

If you missed this movie,I feel sorry for you! Colorful animation,nice acting,great humor,perfect art,outstanding jokes,and super awesome action and adventure! I'm sooooooooo glad I tried the breakfast items at IHOP when this movie came out! Oh,and if all this dosen't convince you,TAYLOR SWIFT IS IN THIS MOVIE! That is awesome!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byAshleyw86 August 24, 2012

We Love it!

My family Loved it!! From the storyline, to the colors, to the music, and the boy's last name, Wiggins-same as ours! :) Fabulous movie! With that said...the only parts we thought could be questionable were bottom shaking, some thunder-that make one or two scenes seem dark. These are quick scenes and we do not think they take away the overall beauty and message of the film as a whole. My husband and I were teary eyed by the end of the movie. My 6 1/2 year old daughter was up and dancing as the credits rolled. We watched it in the comfort of our home, just fyi. :)
Educator Written bymaryzhut August 7, 2012