All member reviews for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Fabulous, but also violent and scary.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMusicManShades April 12, 2011

Awesome movie

Oh my God... This is one of the greatest fantasy epics of all time turned into a masterpiece of a movie. I recommend you see it, if you haven't. My MPAA rating: PG-13 for realistic fantasy war violence and frightening images.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybkid April 3, 2011

Kid, 12 years old November 19, 2010

THE BEST

AMAZING!!!!!!!! This is probably the best movie you will ever see! Violent, but an eleven or twelve year old could see it. Two SUPER sad deaths. :( YOU HAVE TO SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent Written bybabysitrcares May 26, 2011

Has my vote for tweens!

Wonderful classic movie series! Perfect for young tweens and up! Encourage them to read the books as well, they're exciting with lots of action, but are written intelligently, unlike the Twilight phoneme. Some parts may be scary to young children.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 May 29, 2011

Slow at times, but very well-made adaptation of the beginning to an excellent trilogy/world.

My rating: PG [borderline with PG-13] for some sequences of epic battle violence.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

One of the greatest movies of all time! Fellowship of the Ring is an epic fantasy masterpiece that everyone will enjoy. I love movie more than life itself...okay, not quite, but you get my point. As far as content goes, there are some really intense fight scenes although nothing is too incredibly gory or violent. There also are some scary moments and disturbing images. Despite this, the positive messages in this film make it a must-see for kids. I saw it when I was 8 and it wasn't too scary for me, so I'd say this film is good for kids a mature 8+
Teen, 13 years old Written byoag721 March 27, 2011

The best of the trilogy

I love Lord of the Rings, and I believe the movies are fantastic adaptions (this is the closest and best) and appropriate for anyone who can handle violent/scary scenes or has read the book. The violence is not overly presented. The messages are positive and the characters are moral. I wouldn't get too worried about the statue mentioned in the review because I've seen the film so many times and haven't seen it. There's nothing else to worry about in the category besides a kiss, and it's appropriate. Anyway, a great movie for everyone to enjoy.
Kid, 11 years old February 23, 2011

Amazing trilogy, quite violent and scary though, 11+

I've watched the Lord of the Rings movies 4 times through. They're brilliant. The storyline is really well done. It is not a big problem in my opinion that there is smoking and alcohol. There is a lot of violence but no blood to speak of. I think the entire trilogy is amazing (see my reviews). My entire family loves the Lord of the Rings. A masterpiece from J.R.R. Tolkein (the books), and a masterpiece from Peter Jackson (the films). I love adventure quest stories and this one is clever, emotional (I cried at the end of the last film) and sometimes preposterous (the riding down a vertical slope scene). It has warriors, dwarves, elves, orcs, huge fire-breathing minotaur thing, wizards (good and evil), a spirit with red eyes inside a huge set of spiky armor wielding a mace, servants of the dark lord with awesome black capes and a ring with elven runes all the way round it that gets heavier the longer you carry it. I don't think I need to review the other two movies, I think this is enough for you to know that I love them and recommend them to anyone who doesn't mind violence and scary scenes.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

Enjoy with your teen.

This movie is great. Not very close to the book, because of how epic the book is. However, the characters are well developed, the battle scenes are enjoyable without being too gory. Very good fantasy movie. Not for preteens and younger.
Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

An Amazing Movie

This movie series, based on possibly the best fantasy epic trilogy of all time, does a fantastic job of living up to the books. Though, as with all movies based on books, there are details left out, those who read the book will most likely feel that it has been done justice. The action is very well done, but it is intense, and perhaps too much for younger viewers. Of the three movies this is the least violent, and it focuses much more on the adventure than on battles. The beginning and all that takes place in the Shire is very charming, and gives a wonderful contrast to Mordor. The only reference to alcohol is in the Prancing Pony, when Pippen gets a bit tipsy and gives them away. Near the end, it can get frightening, especially when the creature of fire appears in Mordor. There is also a sad death of a character, so if you are watching with children, you should watch out for that. I believe the only disembodyments in the movie are when Aragorn is fighting Lurtz, cutting off his arm and then his head, though there is no blood shown. The orcs can also be rather gruesome. Despite some of this, this is a truly fantastic movie, and is best to show the movie to preteens at youngest. Though the younger ones may be able to handle the violence, they will not be able to understand the incredible story, unless they are mature for their age. An absolute moust see.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEowynBear March 7, 2011

Really great Trilogy

I love watching the trilogy again and again. When I was little my mom let me watch it and the orcs were really scary but now I'm not scared at all with it. Plus, I'm named after Princess Eowyn, niece of King Theoden of Rohan since my dad liked the movies and books so much.
Adult Written byMi3 February 2, 2011

really good movie! great for teens
Teen, 14 years old Written byJustagirl May 12, 2011

Best movie on earth. Saw with my daddy when u was either 4 or 5. He read me the books when I was little
Kid, 12 years old November 22, 2010

seen this when i was nine (whoops) nut handled it with ease...

I love the books, and movies. I have seen them about.....(count on fingers)...52...53.. well, u get the picture. Anyways, u should read them first, THEN watch 'em.
Adult Written byuranus1945 May 7, 2009

Beware of graphic violence and scary scenes

Outstanding film but be warned, there is tons of violence! (Spoilers following) The violent scenes include: a main character getting shot in a river by arrows, drenching the river with blood; Aragorn chopping an orc's head of, splattering his face with blood; Boromir getting slowly shot by arrows, you can hear his painful gasps of breath and the blood dribble from his wounds slowly; Aragorn chops an Uruk's arm off and stabs him, the Uruk pulls the blood stained sword further in him, you can hear the flesh tearing and blood dribbling from his mouth, which Aragorn chops his head off with such force chunks of flesh fly everywhere. Lots of scary scenes, too.
Teen, 17 years old Written bytklol April 9, 2011

Great for tweens, scarier for younger kids

It is an amazing storyline. It has some parallels to the biblical story of Jesus. Gandalf represents Jesus, seeing how he appears to die but comes back. The ring represents sin which many people desire but it always leads to them becoming corrupted. Gollum is a man who has been corrupted by sin. It's one of my favorite movies and I have read all the books
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 12, 2011

good movie

amazing movie.me,my dad,an 15 year old friend love it but i dont think you can really understand it unless you read the books.requires having some patience to watch.
Adult Written bysweetypieinusa April 9, 2008

seen all three -excellant

as a mother of 2 daughters and one son , I found this movie violent but fantasy violence to me is completly different than the trash on tv.I would rather my children watch swords and monsters such as the orcs than a drug deal gone bad, or a robbery, or some woman getting raped.my children know that this type of movie is not real .that trash on tv is a fact of life. not to say that reality is not what my children need to know about, but if they can get some entertainment with fantasy viewing rather than the harshness of reality then I am for it. they will face the real world soon enough with all of its ugliness. I like that the lord of the rings is the fight between good and evil.it shows that there is good people ,no matter who they are can be tempted with evil and how as people you have to make choices .some are difficult and there are easy ways out but you must choose the good road.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp February 15, 2011

Suggested MPAA Rating: PG-13 for intense violence throughout, sequences of intense action, violent images.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Great action movie

My 6 year old loves this movie; but he loves orcs and knights.