All member reviews for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Teen, 14 years old Written byconnor mann September 23, 2013

Unbelievable

This is the best movie trilogy ever made. It is powerful, dramatic, and exciting. The music is more amazing than words can describe. This movie redefined the meaning of "EPIC". The trilogy will change you on a deep emotional level.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLiveLoveLOL August 16, 2013

Fantastic

It's a wonderful well-made movie! It has an epic plot and the set and special effects were amazing! All three extended editions total to somewhere between 10-12 hours, but it's still great! Some points can get a bit boring, but the action speeds up your adrenaline! There is scary stuff such as Orcs, Nazguls, and others, along with some creepy characters like Gollum, Shelob, and Balrog. So some material may be frightening for younger kids, but besides that it's a great fantasy film that's perfect for family.
Teen, 13 years old Written byI am a completionst August 9, 2013

one of the best fantasy movies of all time.

I rate movies like this: 5/5 means I loved it, 4/5 means I liked it enough to buy it on dvd, 3/5 means that it is enjoyable but I would not buy it, 2/5 means not worth seeing, and 1/5 means it is horrible. The Lord of the Rings trilogy is my favorite series of movies of all time. Had to get that out of the way. My rating: PG-13 for some strong creature violence, some frighting images, and mild drinking and smoking. Who hasn't seen this movie, WHO HASN'T?
Teen, 13 years old Written byover-analyze July 28, 2013

Disappointing

The Fellowship of the ring is a good book, but the movie is disappointing. It has some intensity and violence, as well as creepy scenes. At one point, Bilbo's face starts to resemble that of Gollum, and might be creepy to some kids. Also, Boromir gets shot four times in the chest, and staggers around with arrows in his chest. Gandalf battles a belrog, a fire creature, and the fellowship faces orcs, and other creatures that some children might consider to be unnerving. Otherwise, it is not true to the book at all, and could be disappointing to people who have read it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydaniel.kazoomaster July 24, 2013

A daniel.kazoomaster Favorite!

It may be because I was sheltered from PG-13 movies until I was 12 that I think the age group is appropriate. The narration at the beginning from Lady Galadriel made me prepare for a gory and adult movie, but I was surprised to see that none of this was introduced. The black riders can be somewhat scary for small children as well as the Balrog and skinny bridges over huge hieghts. Also the death of a beloved character followed by a schockingly eerie as well as beautiful solo in the soundtrack may stir small children's emotions to the point that they no longer wish to watch it. As a youngster and having not read the books until afterwards, I was very confused about the identities of several of the characters (i.e. I continued to get Aragorn and Boromir mixed up) and I think it lessened my love of the movie. Surprisingly, the part that shocked me the most was the fantastic way that dwarves and elves were created. Until Tolkien, elves and dwarves were short people that made shoes, not fair bow-wielding people and short axe-wielding maniacs. Although some of the characters are talked about in archaic words such as 'elegant' and 'fair' there is no sexual appeal in any way. I give The Fellowship of the Ring a 4/5 stars for its beautiful locations, wonderful casting and unthreatening but still exciting action scenes. I hope that you watch this movie!
Teen, 15 years old Written byLordoftheRings1997 July 24, 2013

Lord of the Rings is by far the best film ever made!

Lord of the Rings is THE BEST MOVIE EVER! While it is not for younger kids, it is a great films for mature preteens and teens! The violence is probably the most disturbing thing, and even that is not too bad in the grand scheme of things. Almost every character provides some kind of role model. Frodo is a wonderful picture of determination and sacrifice, and Sam provides a beautiful example of what a true friend is. I highly recommend this film! It is also a great picture of two different things. One: A picture of what Jesus did for us. Jesus bore the ultimate burden, our sin, for us, and was willing to give his life. Frodo bore ultimate burden, the ring (which represents sin), for Middle Earth, and knew that it would most likely kill him. Frodo's journey can also represent a sinners journey to Jesus, bearing the weight of sin, and when he reaches the end of that journey, he has a choice: to cast away the burdens of his sin, or to keep hold of it. Great discussion point for families!
Kid, 12 years old July 8, 2013

bgujkjgjffdd

it is aweosme
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg01 June 23, 2013

Fabulous, well-made, but also very violent, scary.

My suggested MPAA rating: PG-13 for realistic epic battle-scenes and some scary images. Positive Messages- 4/5 Frodo is a very curious, self-rewarding hobbit as he knows when to strengthen his character when there is danger. Sam is a thoughtful and gentle, friendly hobbit who always watches out for Frodo Baggins. The Hobbits may not be the most rewarding species of Middle-Earth (also said by the narration) but they intend to live in peace and quiet, and seem very colorful on their art-craft/nature feeling, though not as reverent as the Elves. Aragon is brave and a good worship to the fellowship. Legolas is stout, skilled, and keen to his senses. Gandalf is very wise, sense able, and thoughtful, and tells Frodo "All it matters is what the time has given you." Positive role models -4/5 Gandalf leads and helps as best as he can in order to destroy the one ring, Frodo is mostly fearless, and always looks out for the right answer. Boromir is a fool and a trader. Aragorn is brave, and very worshipping to the fellowship. Sam is reluctant but whole-hearted and thoughtful. Violence-4/5 Lots. To enormous battles to orcs getting impaled and deceptated and beheaded. A tooth-like squid tries to eat the herons. Peril is mentioned by the Nazguls following the hobbits. Two characters die. One by a cliff and one impaled by three arrows. A troll tries to attack the hobbits. A scene shows a creature called gollum being tortured by orcs (camera doesn't see the full body, and is very brief). Swords and arrows and knifes are used as weapons. Sex-0.5/5 in a brief scene is Rivendell, land of the elves, a nude statue is barely visible. Language-0.5/5 mild insults, such as "fools" "idiot" and "stupidity". Alchohol/drugs/tobacco - 2/5 Hobbits drink ale and smoke a pipe called "pipe-weed" usually the hobbits in their journey smoke pipe once in a while. Same with dwarves. Characters make smoke-rings. Why I like the movie: A good reason why. The director intends not only for "oh, guys, you know what? Let's make this movie attuned to character!" Yep, he does, and he tried really hard from that, but a hint of reverence and perceive nice hides the dangers forced into the character. Now that is top-notch fun with your friend. The cinematography was excellent. It even won an Oscar for best Cinematography. The beautiful scenery would make your head want to turn straight on the screen, instead of tilted sideways a little. The music by Howard Shore is pretty and memorable. It seems like it would be stuck in your head forever because it is pitched rightly. Makeup and hair-styling was very effective, and the visuals were fun to watch (all of those 4 academy's won oscars). And for little Frodo Baggins, his character is believable anytime he intends to show expressions of wonder, anger, and fear. Ian McKellens Gandalf was great. His expression and body movement has tuned your eye on. Good job for an Oscar nomination! (and speaking of which) the movie is well timed, the entertainment society was done with intelligence, skill, and passion. The Nazguls of evil seem like they were born before Satan was (before the world came). It has such inventive detail it seems like you've seem to notice what would happen inside of you.
Kid, 10 years old May 22, 2013

13+

Awesome! Violence: Intense. Fighting, stabbing and even a brief, but not explicit decapitation. Not for young children! Ages 13+
Kid, 10 years old May 4, 2013

Awoke!

Awesome some violonce peril and a message of teamwork and are good role modeled but this movie is quite gory
Kid, 11 years old May 2, 2013

DEFINITELY NOT FOR KIDS 10 and under!

Great movie but very intense. Lots of main characters die.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJhazuic May 1, 2013

Why I Like This Movie

This is a great movie for a family of older kids and parents to watch together. I would not recommend this movie for kids under 12 because the Orcs are a very scary creature. There is also a love scene between Aragorn and a she-elf but other than that, I thought the movie was not full of romance. This is probably one of my favorite movies after the sequel to this movie. I admire how Gandalf lets Frodo Baggins make all the decisions. This is also a good movie about friendship and loyalty. The ring of power can cause people near it to want it more than anything. Boromir falls into this spell and ends up dead after trying.
Teen, 14 years old Written by69 awesome April 21, 2013

enjoyable

great movie i really enjoyed it. Two thumbs up big time
Teen, 14 years old Written bybranman894 April 14, 2013

Fellowship of the Ring is great

LTOFR: The Fellowship of the Ring is great. I love it. This movie has astonishing special effects and great acting. It stays true to the book as well. It is long but definitely worth it.
Kid, 11 years old April 1, 2013

Great start to an epic trilogy

Lord of the Rings is about a hobbit named Frodo Baggins who goes on a thrilling journey to destroy the one ring belonging to the evil lord, Sauron. The journey starts with just four hobbits named Frodo, Samwise(Sam), Merry, and Pippen. A ranger named Aragorn( Strider) soon helps the hobbits when cornered by gruesome masked riders called Nazguls. Frodo is injured and is carried to Rivendell, the kingdom of elves. There, he encounters many other friends who volunteer to defend the hobbits of the threats that lurk around Middle Earth. This movie has many gory and violent scenes of vicious creatures mauling the fellowship. Terrifying creatures and gory scenes are seen quite vividly, though there are a moderate amount of those. The protagonists and antagonists carry cruel weapons varying from swords, archers, maces, knives, axes, clubs, staffs. Monsters have cruel abilities to maul their prey. There is no bad or crude language in the entire movie. There is no inappropriateness through the movie, though Aragorn and another elf share a prolonged kiss. There are bars and pubs in the beginning where some protagonists drink whisky and other alcoholic beverages. I highly suggest this movie for ages 11 or older with probably just a little bit of caution depending on your child. I give this movie five stars because it is thrilling, action packed, somewhat romantic, enjoyable and entertaining. It takes place in middle ages and does a splendid job of emphasizing the time period. The creatures are innovative, the action is heart pumping, and the story is wonderful. It is vivid and I can feel the pain, fear, pride, sorrow, and anger of everyone. This movie adapted from the best- selling novel by J.R.R Tolkien is wonderful.
Teen, 17 years old Written byhomealonefan123 March 25, 2013

outstanding action, great movie!

a little better than the original animated classic, awesome battle sequences and awesome!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byStrategist101 February 23, 2013

The Fellowship of the Ring

A great movie! Although some important objects in the book (Tom Bombadil, anyone?) were missing, (Barrow Wight!) it was still a masterpiece!
Kid, 10 years old February 17, 2013

The fellowship of the ring

I have seen the lord of the rings trilogy a billion times and I love it so much! It is a bit violent but it is a good story. Some of it may be sad or scary if you don't like seeing dead people or monsters like goblins. The movie has weapons in it and has almost no language at all. I recommend this movie for family's who like action, adventure, violence, or fantasy.
Teen, 13 years old Written byidawowcat February 14, 2013

:) my smile says it all.

Oh my oh my. Lord of the rings the beauty, the mystery, the unforgettable chacters and the ring that shall rule us all ( I hope I did it right XD) sex content if you count a kiss as sex then be my guest. Violence yes but tamable. 5 stars :D
Kid, 11 years old February 12, 2013

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This film was amazing!!!!! It teaches people that you should never give up. This film may unsuitable for kids under 11 because some scenes may be a little bit too scary but other than that its fine.