All member reviews for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Teen, 13 years old Written byMusicManShades April 12, 2011

Awesome movie

Oh my God... This is one of the greatest fantasy epics of all time turned into a masterpiece of a movie. I recommend you see it, if you haven't. My MPAA rating: PG-13 for realistic fantasy war violence and frightening images.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybkid April 3, 2011

Kid, 12 years old November 19, 2010

THE BEST

AMAZING!!!!!!!! This is probably the best movie you will ever see! Violent, but an eleven or twelve year old could see it. Two SUPER sad deaths. :( YOU HAVE TO SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 May 29, 2011

Slow at times, but very well-made adaptation of the beginning to an excellent trilogy/world.

My rating: PG [borderline with PG-13] for some sequences of epic battle violence.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

One of the greatest movies of all time! Fellowship of the Ring is an epic fantasy masterpiece that everyone will enjoy. I love movie more than life itself...okay, not quite, but you get my point. As far as content goes, there are some really intense fight scenes although nothing is too incredibly gory or violent. There also are some scary moments and disturbing images. Despite this, the positive messages in this film make it a must-see for kids. I saw it when I was 8 and it wasn't too scary for me, so I'd say this film is good for kids a mature 8+
Teen, 13 years old Written byoag721 March 27, 2011

The best of the trilogy

I love Lord of the Rings, and I believe the movies are fantastic adaptions (this is the closest and best) and appropriate for anyone who can handle violent/scary scenes or has read the book. The violence is not overly presented. The messages are positive and the characters are moral. I wouldn't get too worried about the statue mentioned in the review because I've seen the film so many times and haven't seen it. There's nothing else to worry about in the category besides a kiss, and it's appropriate. Anyway, a great movie for everyone to enjoy.
Kid, 11 years old February 23, 2011

Amazing trilogy, quite violent and scary though, 11+

I've watched the Lord of the Rings movies 4 times through. They're brilliant. The storyline is really well done. It is not a big problem in my opinion that there is smoking and alcohol. There is a lot of violence but no blood to speak of. I think the entire trilogy is amazing (see my reviews). My entire family loves the Lord of the Rings. A masterpiece from J.R.R. Tolkein (the books), and a masterpiece from Peter Jackson (the films). I love adventure quest stories and this one is clever, emotional (I cried at the end of the last film) and sometimes preposterous (the riding down a vertical slope scene). It has warriors, dwarves, elves, orcs, huge fire-breathing minotaur thing, wizards (good and evil), a spirit with red eyes inside a huge set of spiky armor wielding a mace, servants of the dark lord with awesome black capes and a ring with elven runes all the way round it that gets heavier the longer you carry it. I don't think I need to review the other two movies, I think this is enough for you to know that I love them and recommend them to anyone who doesn't mind violence and scary scenes.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEowynBear March 7, 2011

Really great Trilogy

I love watching the trilogy again and again. When I was little my mom let me watch it and the orcs were really scary but now I'm not scared at all with it. Plus, I'm named after Princess Eowyn, niece of King Theoden of Rohan since my dad liked the movies and books so much.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJustagirl May 12, 2011

Best movie on earth. Saw with my daddy when u was either 4 or 5. He read me the books when I was little
Kid, 12 years old November 22, 2010

seen this when i was nine (whoops) nut handled it with ease...

I love the books, and movies. I have seen them about.....(count on fingers)...52...53.. well, u get the picture. Anyways, u should read them first, THEN watch 'em.
Teen, 17 years old Written bytklol April 9, 2011

Great for tweens, scarier for younger kids

It is an amazing storyline. It has some parallels to the biblical story of Jesus. Gandalf represents Jesus, seeing how he appears to die but comes back. The ring represents sin which many people desire but it always leads to them becoming corrupted. Gollum is a man who has been corrupted by sin. It's one of my favorite movies and I have read all the books
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 12, 2011

good movie

amazing movie.me,my dad,an 15 year old friend love it but i dont think you can really understand it unless you read the books.requires having some patience to watch.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp February 15, 2011

Suggested MPAA Rating: PG-13 for intense violence throughout, sequences of intense action, violent images.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymikee990 April 9, 2008

11+

This movie has a lot to go on. Spiritual base. Lots of violence but nothing to worry about.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjoc13 April 9, 2008

I loved this!

Really great movie!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woooooooow. Best. Movie. EVER. Don't sacrifice beauty in filmmaking just because you think your kid is too young to see it. Let them watch as soon as they're ready. No sex in this one (a kiss), lots of violence and scary creatures but the fights are intiated by the bad guys most of the time and there's no blood. I watched in fourth grade (after I had read the books when I was 8 or 9) and loved it. I was a bit scared, but it wasn't anything major. You have to know your kid if they're under 11, but if they think they'll be fine let them. After all, my best friend watched it when she was 6, and although she had nightmares, wasn't scarred for life. The cinematography, special effects, and acting in this is just beautiful. It's truly a gem of film and should become as much of a classic as Titanic. By the way, have you ever noticed how the older someone gets the more they underestimate a kid's maturity?
Teen, 14 years old Written bydaniel.kazoomaster July 24, 2013

A daniel.kazoomaster Favorite!

It may be because I was sheltered from PG-13 movies until I was 12 that I think the age group is appropriate. The narration at the beginning from Lady Galadriel made me prepare for a gory and adult movie, but I was surprised to see that none of this was introduced. The black riders can be somewhat scary for small children as well as the Balrog and skinny bridges over huge hieghts. Also the death of a beloved character followed by a schockingly eerie as well as beautiful solo in the soundtrack may stir small children's emotions to the point that they no longer wish to watch it. As a youngster and having not read the books until afterwards, I was very confused about the identities of several of the characters (i.e. I continued to get Aragorn and Boromir mixed up) and I think it lessened my love of the movie. Surprisingly, the part that shocked me the most was the fantastic way that dwarves and elves were created. Until Tolkien, elves and dwarves were short people that made shoes, not fair bow-wielding people and short axe-wielding maniacs. Although some of the characters are talked about in archaic words such as 'elegant' and 'fair' there is no sexual appeal in any way. I give The Fellowship of the Ring a 4/5 stars for its beautiful locations, wonderful casting and unthreatening but still exciting action scenes. I hope that you watch this movie!
Teen, 15 years old Written byWell Informed Pizza September 11, 2011

I think you have to know your kids.

I think that the movie on it's own is a bit iffy for 8 and under, what there being intense violence and scary scenes... but I reccomend getting a copy of the book first, and reading it to your kids. Then they will know what happens and the movie will not seem as scary. The only question is the violence- Boromir's death is quite the same in the book as in the movie and if you think your children couldn't handle it (I also reccomend pre-viewing movies :P) then of course don't buy the book. LOTR horrified me until I read the book- so I know from experiance.
Teen, 17 years old Written byjcsoblonde April 9, 2008

wow...wow...wow.. this movie is GREAT

this one of my favorite movies of all time ive lost count of how much ive seen it i can watch it over and over again!!! its just amazing and FINALLY!!! a good action packed movie that actually has morals, NO USELESS AND OR POINTLESS SWEAR WORDS, and *gasp* NO SEX SCENES! ( well theres kissing but thats as far as it goes) isnt that amazing??? and looking at everyone going nuts about these movies, its finally been proven we can live without all that stuff! its a AWESOME story, intense action-packed a great story and totally original which means no little nagging voices whispering dejavue during the movie! if u havnt seen it, GO SEE IT NOW!!!