All member reviews for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Outstanding, but much violence and scariness.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 May 29, 2011

The best of the trilogy; the last of the trilogy; the most scary, bloody, intense, and violent of the trilogy.

My rating: PG-13 for intense sequences of epic battle violence, disturbing images and a brief scene involving drinking.
Kid, 11 years old February 15, 2011

Great movie

It's very good and exiting but has a lot of violance.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJ-Yo July 5, 2011

It deserves its Oscar.

This movie is very violent, first of all. Some of the battle sequences are long and gory, and at times they can make people cringe. Hey, its a war. This war, however, realistically describes the toll it can take on the characters and what each side is willing to do in order to achieve victory. Overall, though, this movie is filled with spectacular imagery and complex characters. The straightforward story is easy and still entertaining to follow. It's so artistic and magical it deserves its Oscar.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhking134 March 9, 2011

Good for anyone.

Really? This movie is a classic, and should be watched (and read) by everyone. It has war. Big whoop. It's about as bloody as Poke'mon. That is to say: no blood, no language, no sex, no nudity. The violence in this film is watered down by the amount of stuff going on during the scene. There is so much violence, but it's like Super Mario Bros. style. No blood, but "ugh, I got stabbed. I'm dead." Also, the entire movie is about good triumphing over evil.
Adult Written byuranus1945 June 9, 2009

CONATINS STRONG GRAPHIC VIOLENCE AND DISTURBING IMAGES

This has to be the best film I have ever seen. It also happens to be WAY to violent for a PG-13, much more than the others. CONTAINS SPOILERS: Gollum slowly chokes Deagol, about 30 seconds; (Saruman is stabbed twice, then falls hundreds of feet and lands on a pike, spraying blood everywhere; his murderer is shot by an arrow); Sam beats Gollum over the head with a frying pan, blood oozes out; (a man is shot by an arrow, then rolls down a flight of stairs); a large battle follows, hundreds die, Nazgul lift up soldiers and smash them against walls; a man is mortally wounded, he is coughing up blood when Gothmog takes a spear and smashes it brutally into his chest (not shown, but the tearing flesh and dripping blood sound and the man's gagging and sputtering is just as bad); hundreds are slaughtered on a suicide mission; the largest movie battle of all time begins, contains bloody violence throughout; severed, mutilated, gory heads fly over the wall; (a man is shot); trolls smash men into pieces; Frodo is stabbed, he foams at the mouth; Sam stabs Shelob, drenching his hands in blood; orcs eat alive men (and even women and children), very graphic and disturbing; a massive cavalry charge, the largest ever captured on film, decimates an entire army; a man burns himself alive, and jumps of a thousand foot cliff while on fire; Theoden is ripped in half when the Witch King throws his horse on top of him; his beast is slaughtered by Eowyn, blood and gore splatter everywhere; Eowyn suffers a bloody wound; (Gothmog gets mained 4-5 times before getting axed to death) all the orcs and there allies are wiped out, millions are dead after the battle, the field littered with blood and body parts; the orcs in the tower all kill themselves (in graphic yet creative ways); (Frodo is brutally whipped); another gigantic battle occurs; tens of thousands are killed in a giant earthquake; Gollum bites Sam on the neck and nearly kills Frodo by choking him, Sam slices his gut, Gollum knocks out Sam and bites Frodo's finger off, TONS of blood comes out; he later melts in Mount Doom along with the One Ring. PHEW! Other than that, its an awesome, incredible film that everyone should watch!
Teen, 17 years old Written byPrincessCharmed797 April 23, 2013

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Parent of a 12 year old Written byWeeklybob December 26, 2010

I haven't watched the entire movie, but at my nephews' house,we watched the extended edition(seperated on two discs). We watched the beginning, the end, and a few battles in between. I only watched those parts and I could tell what was going on.(I also watched the first one, so that helped me.) The Only parts that really disturbed me were smeagol eating the fish, somebody falling from about 300 feet above the ground into a spike and drowing, and Frodo's finger getting bitten off. (Getting bitten off is the scariest part). There is one part in which they cut off someone's head, but there was no blood.(But he has pretty mean lookin' teeth). The only other part you might find objectionable, is they have a drinking game.(The last one standing up wins,)and they smoke. But that's what they did back then. But overall it was a wonderful, beautiful movie.
Kid, 12 years old December 23, 2010

BME! Best Movie Ever!

I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!!!! i think everyone in the world should watch it! it had the best epic battle scenes in the world and the characters were well-developed and good role models! the only part in the whole movie that was mildly disgusting was when the orks chucked the heads of the good guy's soldiers at gondor's army. and the part w/ the spider was gross but kinda fun to watch. I am a girl, and I think this movie is great!
Teen, 15 years old Written byajax 5 April 9, 2008

LOTR! YA!!!!!!

Simply said, the best movie Ever! Parents, there is little gore, action that is fast paced and best of all only one kiss in the whole 3.5 hour movie! Also no sex, drugs, nudity, alchohol and the worst part is when for a split second heads of dead soldiers fall on the city (ignore this though.)
Kid, 10 years old April 25, 2015

Continued amazing film

Peter Jackson continues and it's very rare that a sequel can keep up the good work.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypicardisbetter April 22, 2015

The only thing I can say is, perfect in every way
Teen, 15 years old Written byW0PR February 16, 2015

fun

csm says that King Theoden is Eyowen's father, but no, he is her uncle. this movie is great, really fun but very violent. a lot of the orcs are unrealistic, one of them has rings of blood around his ears that are obviously just there to hide the pointy ears which are not even supposed to be there.
Kid, 9 years old January 22, 2015

Scary but amazing!

This movie is very violent but spectacular. There are many gory and bloody scenes including someone's finger getting bit off. Many violent battles are shown. I do not recommend this movie for younger kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 December 28, 2014

Not only it has a stellar ending, but it is the best one yet.

What a way to end a spectacular franchise.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJohn trevor December 26, 2014

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew December 22, 2014

Very epic battle sequences in final installment in the middle earth saga

My rating:PG-13 for intense sequences of epic fantasy violence and action and innuendo
Teen, 14 years old Written byMavrah333 December 20, 2014

The only remotely scary Middle Earth film.

Wow, an amazing film, great characters, perhaps the greatest score of all time. There is mind blowing cgi for 2003 (like half life 2's graphics) and some amazing cinematography. There are some scary creatures for younger children (gollum, shelob), lots of fantasy violence and a horrible ending, but this is an amazing film.
Kid, 12 years old December 7, 2014

Amazing movie, pretty violent

The Return of the King is an amazing movie. There are lots of emotional moments and great CGI. It probably has the most actual battles and fighting out of the three movies, but the least amount of dismemberment/blood. The huge run-time will probably bore younger kids, there is some drinking and smoking, and the giant spider is pretty scary.
Kid, 12 years old November 28, 2014

easy peasy lemon sqeezy!

awesomeness loved it
Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan October 10, 2014

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King movie review

Typically, the third movie in a trilogy is the absolute worst. In this case, it wasn't. "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" is the best conclusion to a movie trilogy I have ever seen. "The Return of the King" is spectacular. This movie is by far the longest of the three. Yet, the pacing was just right. The level of emotions this movie has is incredible. The relationships between each character is handled very carefully. Peter Jackson did an excellent job with the chemistry between the actors. One of the best parts of the movie is Gollum. Gollum is an ass who continually tries to turn Frodo away from Sam. This creates so much conflict which makes the movie so riveting. The characters Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli are still bad-ass. Aragorn was in my opinion the best part of the movie. His background plays a huge part in the movie. This movie has Oscars(R) written all over it. "The Lord of the Ring: The Return of the Kin"g broke a record for number of Academy Award(R) wins with a total of 11. All of those 11 trophies were very well deserved. Peter Jackson should make more book to film adaptations. I think he understands the characters and the story very well. He is a very good director who never disappoints. It is hard to pick a favorite from "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. I would say that "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" is my favorite. Then, I would say "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" from the trilogy. That leaves "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" as my least favorite of the trilogy. I hate to say that, but it is true. All of the three movies are spectacular. They are movie gold. Trying to choose a favorite in this trilogy is liking picking a favorite child. Of course, "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring", "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers", and "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" all get a score of 5/5. If you have never checked out "The Lord of the Rings", I suggest getting out of the hole you have been living in. This movie trilogy is three of my favorite movies of all time.