All member reviews for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Outstanding, but much violence and scariness.

Kid, 11 years old February 15, 2011

Great movie

It's very good and exiting but has a lot of violance.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 May 29, 2011

The best of the trilogy; the last of the trilogy; the most scary, bloody, intense, and violent of the trilogy.

My rating: PG-13 for intense sequences of epic battle violence, disturbing images and a brief scene involving drinking.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJ-Yo July 5, 2011

It deserves its Oscar.

This movie is very violent, first of all. Some of the battle sequences are long and gory, and at times they can make people cringe. Hey, its a war. This war, however, realistically describes the toll it can take on the characters and what each side is willing to do in order to achieve victory. Overall, though, this movie is filled with spectacular imagery and complex characters. The straightforward story is easy and still entertaining to follow. It's so artistic and magical it deserves its Oscar.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhking134 March 9, 2011

Good for anyone.

Really? This movie is a classic, and should be watched (and read) by everyone. It has war. Big whoop. It's about as bloody as Poke'mon. That is to say: no blood, no language, no sex, no nudity. The violence in this film is watered down by the amount of stuff going on during the scene. There is so much violence, but it's like Super Mario Bros. style. No blood, but "ugh, I got stabbed. I'm dead." Also, the entire movie is about good triumphing over evil.
Teen, 17 years old Written byPrincessCharmed797 April 23, 2013

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Adult Written byViffer March 17, 2011

Perfect for 11+

Love this film, very accurate to the books. The film lotr trilogy is aimed at a younger audience than the books, I'd be happy with my kids watching it from age 11, but not any younger. The Hobbit (prequel to lotr) book is perfect for this age.
Adult Written byuranus1945 June 9, 2009

CONATINS STRONG GRAPHIC VIOLENCE AND DISTURBING IMAGES

This has to be the best film I have ever seen. It also happens to be WAY to violent for a PG-13, much more than the others. CONTAINS SPOILERS: Gollum slowly chokes Deagol, about 30 seconds; (Saruman is stabbed twice, then falls hundreds of feet and lands on a pike, spraying blood everywhere; his murderer is shot by an arrow); Sam beats Gollum over the head with a frying pan, blood oozes out; (a man is shot by an arrow, then rolls down a flight of stairs); a large battle follows, hundreds die, Nazgul lift up soldiers and smash them against walls; a man is mortally wounded, he is coughing up blood when Gothmog takes a spear and smashes it brutally into his chest (not shown, but the tearing flesh and dripping blood sound and the man's gagging and sputtering is just as bad); hundreds are slaughtered on a suicide mission; the largest movie battle of all time begins, contains bloody violence throughout; severed, mutilated, gory heads fly over the wall; (a man is shot); trolls smash men into pieces; Frodo is stabbed, he foams at the mouth; Sam stabs Shelob, drenching his hands in blood; orcs eat alive men (and even women and children), very graphic and disturbing; a massive cavalry charge, the largest ever captured on film, decimates an entire army; a man burns himself alive, and jumps of a thousand foot cliff while on fire; Theoden is ripped in half when the Witch King throws his horse on top of him; his beast is slaughtered by Eowyn, blood and gore splatter everywhere; Eowyn suffers a bloody wound; (Gothmog gets mained 4-5 times before getting axed to death) all the orcs and there allies are wiped out, millions are dead after the battle, the field littered with blood and body parts; the orcs in the tower all kill themselves (in graphic yet creative ways); (Frodo is brutally whipped); another gigantic battle occurs; tens of thousands are killed in a giant earthquake; Gollum bites Sam on the neck and nearly kills Frodo by choking him, Sam slices his gut, Gollum knocks out Sam and bites Frodo's finger off, TONS of blood comes out; he later melts in Mount Doom along with the One Ring. PHEW! Other than that, its an awesome, incredible film that everyone should watch!
Adult Written byanonymousg October 20, 2015

This movie is outstanding! But it's not for everyone

Let me tell you, this is a fantastic, well made movie. The finale of Peter Jackson's epic trilogy leaves everything on the table and it does not disappoint. However, because of the grand scope and epic nature of the film, that also means the film does not hold any punches in regards to violence and disturbing content. Hideous creatures known as orcs have a disturbing, zombie-like appearance. Allies and foes alike are impaled, shot, and sliced in brutal fashion. Fortunately, the film skims on sex and language, but does contain some minor, celebratory drinking. It's a great film, but contains much violence and frightening imagery.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

Awesome

Love this movie. It's a great tale, and I would watch it with anyone who loves fantasy. A lot of battle scenes, too violent for young kids. But very good movie for teens and their parents.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byWeeklybob December 26, 2010
I haven't watched the entire movie, but at my nephews' house,we watched the extended edition(seperated on two discs). We watched the beginning, the end, and a few battles in between. I only watched those parts and I could tell what was going on.(I also watched the first one, so that helped me.) The Only parts that really disturbed me were smeagol eating the fish, somebody falling from about 300 feet above the ground into a spike and drowing, and Frodo's finger getting bitten off. (Getting bitten off is the scariest part). There is one part in which they cut off someone's head, but there was no blood.(But he has pretty mean lookin' teeth). The only other part you might find objectionable, is they have a drinking game.(The last one standing up wins,)and they smoke. But that's what they did back then. But overall it was a wonderful, beautiful movie.
Kid, 12 years old December 23, 2010

BME! Best Movie Ever!

I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!!!! i think everyone in the world should watch it! it had the best epic battle scenes in the world and the characters were well-developed and good role models! the only part in the whole movie that was mildly disgusting was when the orks chucked the heads of the good guy's soldiers at gondor's army. and the part w/ the spider was gross but kinda fun to watch. I am a girl, and I think this movie is great!
Teen, 15 years old Written byajax 5 April 9, 2008

LOTR! YA!!!!!!

Simply said, the best movie Ever! Parents, there is little gore, action that is fast paced and best of all only one kiss in the whole 3.5 hour movie! Also no sex, drugs, nudity, alchohol and the worst part is when for a split second heads of dead soldiers fall on the city (ignore this though.)
Adult Written byPollyRoger April 9, 2008

There's a reason it won all those Oscars...

My favorite movie of the trilogy. I don't even want to count how many times I've seen it. My sister (who was 9, at the time) and I saw this three times in theaters alone. It's a wonderful ending to the trilogy, and makes the viewer wish there were more to come. Again, no sexual content or modern-day cursing, but strong violence, enough to have, in my opinion, earned an R-rating. Overall, words do not do this movie justice. It's suitable for anyone, except kids who can't handle the intense violence.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheHumanSpider2003 June 12, 2016

Great film!

Great but very violent. MPAA could of gone with an R rating easily. Frodo gets his finger bitten off (very graphic) and blood just spews out. Also the war scenes are very violent, no language or nudity. The ending is very emotional. Great finale to a great trilogy.
Parent of a 18+ year old Written byCheese and Bread May 19, 2016

In the the top 10 best movies of all time

Teen, 14 years old Written byXboxoneGamer123 January 19, 2016

Violence and Scariness

This movie is my favorite movie in the Lord Of The Rings series. The most violent part is the Battle of Pelenor Fields. This is definitely the most violent battle in the series. The humans are trying to defend the castle of Minas Tirith and 10's of thousands of orcs come to the castle. The violence really starts kicking into high gear after the Riders of Rohan come to somewhat save the day. The orcs launch human heads into the castle and the humans retaliate with the firing of massive cinder blocks to crush the orcs. The scary part comes in when Aaragorn, Leglos, and Gimli go into the mountain and find the ghost army that looks like zombies from TWD almost. I recommend this movie to kids 13+ and mature 11 and 12 year olds. Hope this helps.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBlakenite1 December 8, 2015

One of the best movies ever

I really enjoyed the movie and all of its parts. Storyline and also how you how you connect with the characters is amazing this is Oscar-winning movie deserves the skirting labyrinth storyline and also how you how you connect with the characters is amazing this us this Oscar-winning movie deserves the Oscar but there are only a few scenes I would like to mention that are very disturbing. The first is when the main character is traveling to the Gost Gates there are disturbing zombie like Gost like creatures but they are nice and help fight the war. The last bad thing is when they say "release the prisoners " it is when the Orks launch the decapitaded heads out of a catapult into the city. Nevertheless I enjoyed this movie greatly very Good 5-stars
Teen, 15 years old Written byAge review kid November 28, 2015

Brutal threequel is a little too intense for young kids but still very exicting

My rating:R for some bloody violence
Teen, 14 years old Written byPANTALLICA2001 November 1, 2015
Teen, 14 years old Written byxgamerbrox July 23, 2015

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

This Is by far the best movie in the trilogy! I think Its story is even better than the others. GREAT CHARACTERS, good ending, PERFECT role models for kids!!! VIOLENCE 8/10 Strong fantasy gore and blood thousands of creatures and humans are killed, SEX 1/10 kissing, LANGUAGE 0/10 none SCARY SCENES 7/10 lots of scary scenes and frightening creatures, DRINKING AND DRUGS 2/10 some smoking and ale drinking... Should be rated R for medivel violence and frightening scenes, iffy for 10+