All member reviews for The Lovely Bones

Haunting mystery-drama examines a child's murder.

Kid, 9 years old August 13, 2010

Violence mildly disturbing

I enjoyed the movie very much, but the violence is mildly disturbing for some. Mature kids 9+, immature kids 14+
Kid, 12 years old June 17, 2010

This movie was amazing and I deffinently cried. It was one of the saddest movies I have ever seen. I think 11 year olds shouldnt watch this. She dies by getting raped, which is a mature subject. There wasn't any nudity at all except for a man's bare chest. Surprisingly there wasn't alot of bad lanuage just really mature and disturbing scenes. The "F" word was barely understandable because it was muttered. There really wasn't anything else though. It is a great movie for 12+ year olds. The parents are role models because they don't give up on her daughters murder case and they find a way to cope with thier loss of thier daughter. I would recomend this to any preteen or teen kids. But be prepared to cry.
Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2010

Very Good

The Lovely Bones is a very good movie but also a little creepy. I think it's sending a good message to kids to not talk to strangers even if they bribe you with something or if something sounds very appealing. It has a little violence in it because Bryan is hitting Mr. Salmon with a baseball bat. There's a little conflict with Grandma Lynn smoking and drinking in front of her grandchildren. Overall I'm 11 and I saw the movie with my mother and I recommend it because I think kids our age can handle what this movie's message is sending.
Teen, 16 years old Written byP and L October 13, 2011

the grass field way to their home.

Precisely. This movie is awesome. For kids age 14 & up are consider to watch this movie. Because of it's love for both parents and child. They will appreciate what will happen also if they do this thing. This movie is a warning for some adolescence not talk to strangers.
Adult Written byPeguin July 7, 2010

See it with your teenaged daughter!

The best part of this movie is to teach young girls what NOT to do... walking alone, going off alone with a man (stranger or not!), being afraid to say no when you sense danger, for fear of being rude, The villain was frightening in his unrelenting tenacity. He seems cartoonish by today's standards, but this was the 70's before people talked about ugly things that could happen to kids. And he was NOT a stranger, as some reviews imply... he was a neighbor, portrayed as odd but in no way dangerous. All his victims gathering in limbo struck me as very creepy, and I think far too much time was spent in afterlife fantasy. The sense of loss from "what might have been" was very sad. I most felt sorry for the little brother, who kind of disappeared!
Parent Written byMusicRock668 October 7, 2012

excellent movie but is Better For Old teens than Preteens !

really good movies is very sad there not much blood for scene of susie murder which is not off screen but see lots of blood in bathroom and is about girl who is 14 year teen who is murder and is watching over her family i wouldn't young preteens see this movie because of it Disturbing theme !
Kid, 11 years old February 24, 2010

Great Movie!!

It was great,but also very sad.Watching it with my Mom,we almost cried if it got any sadder.
Adult Written byTNMMluv February 10, 2010

Parent of a 11 year old Written byToby392 January 31, 2010

Not good for ANY kids.

I took my 11 year old and wish I hadn't. Its very distubing.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byMomOfOne123 January 14, 2010

great for anyone 11 and up!

great movie! I saw this movie with my 12 year old and her friends, and they thought it was awesome. but this movie is definitely not for anyone under 11!
Teen, 16 years old Written byKlutzy October 27, 2013

Rape is a very difficult subject

On October 27th I wrote this review: "NOTE THAT I DIDN'T FINISH THIS MOVIE. I rate this as pause for 15 because Rape is a very difficult subject especially for young girls. I am a girl and was 11 or 12 when I watched this, and I couldn't get that much further then her death. When I say couldn't I literally mean that I couldn't mentally handle it. One of my friends, who could relate to the girl, also had some issues. Do not watch this if you have had any past experiences with something similar..." I decided to watch this movie again today and found it just as disappointing and scary as the fist time. Even though you do not see the rape of Susie your mind fills in the blanks....I re-rate this pause for 16 because of the tension and fear of what you don't see but what you knew happened. SPOILER: strangely enough I had a sadistic satisfaction when the neighbor died at the end. Thank Heavens for that!
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheMoviePerson October 22, 2013

Good Film

Fantastic film, I don't know what's with all the hate. It is very depressing in places and also disturbing, but there are happy parts. The language isn't too much of a problem, Lynn smokes & drinks a little and the violence is infrequent but disturbing. It's a great film though (the book is better!)
Teen, 14 years old Written byFrazzle September 23, 2013

Thrilling :D

It is a thrilling film from begging to end, and it really emphasizes the point of not going off with a stranger. Also the casting is great and all the roles are well plaid.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovie_lover_ May 17, 2013

Intense and horrific

Quite intense and horrific story line. Enjoyed the movie, but not sure I would see it again. The girls' family were all very supportive of each other and brave. Occasional smoking and drinking which doesn't isn't a main part. Some violent scenes.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byVicky567 September 3, 2012

The lovely Bones

This movie has the 3 Ds; depressing, disturbing and distressing. I can't believe it's a Pg - 13 in America and a 12 here in England. It should be a borderline 'R' and a '15' here which it was very close to being. This is by far one of my favourite films and I'm really glad they toned down the violence and sexual threat in this film than in the book cos obviously it wouldve been way too much. The violence is at a minimum and the only thing that really bothers me is how dark and upsetting the film is (especially for a 12a where an 8 year old can go watch it as long as they have an adult with them) Do Not let your kids watch it if they are sensitive or too young to underhand what's happening
Teen, 14 years old Written byBirdBoyBen August 20, 2012

What's with all the criticism?

The Lovely Bones is one of the most engaging movies I have ever seen. The acting is brilliant, the plot is interesting and the visuals are stunning. The music choice is also very good and must admit I was almost crying during the 'heaven' scene. The directors have done a good job portraying the violence and sadness in a way that is suitable even for young teenagers, and while I'm sure this contradicts the events in the book (which is far to graphic for young teens) it works well as a movie. Rotten tomatoes stated that the movie had too rapid jumps between emotion and extreme violence, but then isn't that how it would be in real life? For me, this makes the movie more suspenseful and creepy because It makes me imagine similar things happening to be. The only reason a gave it four out of five rather that five out of five is that at times, the movie can be a little unclear and miss out some of the events happening within the family. This kind of helps the 12A certificate though as kids are more likely to be bored with family emotions than with a magical 'in-between land'. I strongly advise that anyone with mature younger teenagers or older should watch this film-not everyone may enjoy it as much as me but it will certainly give you a lot to talk about.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRGG270 July 9, 2012

NOT a happy movie!!

This movie is about a teenage girl who is raped and murdered. I saw this at 13 and should've waited another year to see it. The message it teaches you: don't talk to strangers or people you don't know that well or go anywhere with them. This movie is well done in the special effects of the "in between". The good message in the story, I believe, is that Susie learns to forgive and move on from her traumatic experience.
Teen, 13 years old Written byconcernedteen123 July 4, 2012

Not too Shabby...

This is PG-13 for the love of gosh. Chill CSM!!! There is implied rape, a lot of death, and Grandma drinks. That doesn't mean its for 16 and up
Adult Written byFilmManiac May 9, 2012

The saddest movie I've ever watched

Kid, 12 years old April 18, 2012

A Life Lesson: The Real Meaning of The Lovely Bones/ What parents should consider.

I watched the movie when I was ten, my father said it was awareness, that it really happens. I think parents should be aware of how their child(ren) react to tragic events and understand what happened to Susie Salmon.It has a good meaning and I believe parents who are open to their children knowing about what happens and has happened.