All member reviews for The Lovely Bones

Kid, 9 years old August 13, 2010

Violence mildly disturbing

I enjoyed the movie very much, but the violence is mildly disturbing for some. Mature kids 9+, immature kids 14+
Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2010

Very Good

The Lovely Bones is a very good movie but also a little creepy. I think it's sending a good message to kids to not talk to strangers even if they bribe you with something or if something sounds very appealing. It has a little violence in it because Bryan is hitting Mr. Salmon with a baseball bat. There's a little conflict with Grandma Lynn smoking and drinking in front of her grandchildren. Overall I'm 11 and I saw the movie with my mother and I recommend it because I think kids our age can handle what this movie's message is sending.
Kid, 12 years old June 17, 2010

This movie was amazing and I deffinently cried. It was one of the saddest movies I have ever seen. I think 11 year olds shouldnt watch this. She dies by getting raped, which is a mature subject. There wasn't any nudity at all except for a man's bare chest. Surprisingly there wasn't alot of bad lanuage just really mature and disturbing scenes. The "F" word was barely understandable because it was muttered. There really wasn't anything else though. It is a great movie for 12+ year olds. The parents are role models because they don't give up on her daughters murder case and they find a way to cope with thier loss of thier daughter. I would recomend this to any preteen or teen kids. But be prepared to cry.
Teen, 16 years old Written byP and L October 13, 2011

the grass field way to their home.

Precisely. This movie is awesome. For kids age 14 & up are consider to watch this movie. Because of it's love for both parents and child. They will appreciate what will happen also if they do this thing. This movie is a warning for some adolescence not talk to strangers.
Kid, 11 years old February 24, 2010

Great Movie!!

It was great,but also very sad.Watching it with my Mom,we almost cried if it got any sadder.
Teen, 16 years old Written byKlutzy October 27, 2013

Rape is a very difficult subject

On October 27th I wrote this review: "NOTE THAT I DIDN'T FINISH THIS MOVIE. I rate this as pause for 15 because Rape is a very difficult subject especially for young girls. I am a girl and was 11 or 12 when I watched this, and I couldn't get that much further then her death. When I say couldn't I literally mean that I couldn't mentally handle it. One of my friends, who could relate to the girl, also had some issues. Do not watch this if you have had any past experiences with something similar..." I decided to watch this movie again today and found it just as disappointing and scary as the fist time. Even though you do not see the rape of Susie your mind fills in the blanks....I re-rate this pause for 16 because of the tension and fear of what you don't see but what you knew happened. SPOILER: strangely enough I had a sadistic satisfaction when the neighbor died at the end. Thank Heavens for that!
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheMoviePerson October 22, 2013

Good Film

Fantastic film, I don't know what's with all the hate. It is very depressing in places and also disturbing, but there are happy parts. The language isn't too much of a problem, Lynn smokes & drinks a little and the violence is infrequent but disturbing. It's a great film though (the book is better!)
Teen, 14 years old Written byFrazzle September 23, 2013

Thrilling :D

It is a thrilling film from begging to end, and it really emphasizes the point of not going off with a stranger. Also the casting is great and all the roles are well plaid.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovie_lover_ May 17, 2013

Intense and horrific

Quite intense and horrific story line. Enjoyed the movie, but not sure I would see it again. The girls' family were all very supportive of each other and brave. Occasional smoking and drinking which doesn't isn't a main part. Some violent scenes.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBirdBoyBen August 20, 2012

What's with all the criticism?

The Lovely Bones is one of the most engaging movies I have ever seen. The acting is brilliant, the plot is interesting and the visuals are stunning. The music choice is also very good and must admit I was almost crying during the 'heaven' scene. The directors have done a good job portraying the violence and sadness in a way that is suitable even for young teenagers, and while I'm sure this contradicts the events in the book (which is far to graphic for young teens) it works well as a movie. Rotten tomatoes stated that the movie had too rapid jumps between emotion and extreme violence, but then isn't that how it would be in real life? For me, this makes the movie more suspenseful and creepy because It makes me imagine similar things happening to be. The only reason a gave it four out of five rather that five out of five is that at times, the movie can be a little unclear and miss out some of the events happening within the family. This kind of helps the 12A certificate though as kids are more likely to be bored with family emotions than with a magical 'in-between land'. I strongly advise that anyone with mature younger teenagers or older should watch this film-not everyone may enjoy it as much as me but it will certainly give you a lot to talk about.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRGG270 July 9, 2012

NOT a happy movie!!

This movie is about a teenage girl who is raped and murdered. I saw this at 13 and should've waited another year to see it. The message it teaches you: don't talk to strangers or people you don't know that well or go anywhere with them. This movie is well done in the special effects of the "in between". The good message in the story, I believe, is that Susie learns to forgive and move on from her traumatic experience.
Teen, 13 years old Written byconcernedteen123 July 4, 2012

Not too Shabby...

This is PG-13 for the love of gosh. Chill CSM!!! There is implied rape, a lot of death, and Grandma drinks. That doesn't mean its for 16 and up
Kid, 12 years old April 18, 2012

A Life Lesson: The Real Meaning of The Lovely Bones/ What parents should consider.

I watched the movie when I was ten, my father said it was awareness, that it really happens. I think parents should be aware of how their child(ren) react to tragic events and understand what happened to Susie Salmon.It has a good meaning and I believe parents who are open to their children knowing about what happens and has happened.
Teen, 14 years old Written byb00kw0rm14 March 20, 2012

Great film, disturbing content

I seriously enjoyed this film when I saw it a few months ago. I had already read the book, and so knew what to expect. It was MUCH tamer than the book, but the main theme of the story is still of a girl my age's murder, and what comes after. It was very powerful to me, and I was quite impressed with the acting and emotion. Definitely not for children under 11. A middle-aged man murders several girls, grandmother smokes. Some creepy scenes that freaked me out, such as when Susie learned about all the other murders Mr. Harvey had committed. Her friend from the afterlife was shown face first in a body of water, dead.
Teen, 15 years old Written byfelise1999 March 19, 2012

great film! but if you're a parent, watch it first

i LOVE this movie! i'm 13. my mom wouldn't let me watch this until i was........... i think 12. anyway, it's AMAZING!!!! :) definitely not for young kids. i think at 13 i'm old enough to understand the gravity of the loss when a child dies. i cry EVERY time i watch this. it's a hugely emotional movie. if you're too young, it can be scary, or disturbing. but it can also just be boring if you don't understand it. there's a lot of hatred in this film. saoirse ronan (susie) is amazing. her performance -for me- made the film. she does a great job capturing the audience and making you feel the same emotions that her character is feeling. because of that, it may be too much for some kids to handle. there's also a HUGE amount of loss in this film. susie doesn't get her first kiss before she dies. anytime a child dies you don't just loose a person, you loose innocence and dreams, and most of all, hope. it's an amazing film. breathtaking visual effects. if you're a parent, watch it first. you know if your child is ready to see this. my mom did and when i first asked her if i could watch it i was definitely not ready. but when i did, i was.
Teen, 13 years old Written byOnlooker January 25, 2012

One of those deep movies that touch the heart.

I'm a 13-year-old girl, and I watched this movie right after finishing the book in two days, after not being able to put it down. I see how it might not be suitable for some people, and I'm not just speaking about children here, but to me, this movie had a great impact. I used to laugh and joke about paedophiles and murder/rape cases, but this movie opened my eyes. It just seemed so real. Though you didn't see her get raped and murdered, if you read the book you could picture it all in your head. The surrealness of her family eating dinner while she was in agony, dying all alone, is something that places quite a heavy weight on the reader/watcher. In terms of sexual references, there's pretty much nothing in this movie. The only way to tell that she was raped was if you read the book. A young child can't understand this stuff, but I don't consider myself a young child. I'm 13, and I'm well old enough to watch and read this type of thing. The violence is a bit confronting, but it's the surroundings, and the atmosphere, that really put it out there. It's done splendidly and beautifully, and I think the special effects were done as best as possible. Kids my age, we lie in bed and wonder about what comes after death. This movie didn't clear anything up, but instead it showed me that life is too precious and pure to be gone after death. From now, my relationship with my family is more cherished. You may say it's just a movie, but it was as if I was experiencing reality itself. Everything just had the right amount of unfairness and despair for it to be reality. Overall, I highly recommend this movie (and the book) for those who want a highly moving experience that will have them in tears and enlightenment.
Teen, 16 years old Written bylmtrav December 30, 2011

Good movie, but very disturbing

This is a very thought provoking movie. There are moments of it that are very hard to watch and extremely disturbing. The movie is reasonably well done overall, but it is definitely not for kids unless they are very mature. I know adults who will not even watch it.
Kid, 11 years old December 27, 2011

good movie

despite the violence and scenerio to this movie, the main character, Suzie Salmon, realizes to forgive, and can't hold a grudge on her murderer forever. a young girl she meets leads her to a beautiful place. suzie decides to let go and forgive. she wanted her family to let her go as well. the movie was based on a true story.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBieberFreakinFever December 15, 2011

A Strong Film

The Lovely Bones is definetly a movie that older tweens and young teens will die to see. The film is very good, sad, violent, and dramatic. Even though some Tweens may want to see this chilling tale i strongly recomend waiting until they are 13 or older so they can understand and enjoy the movie better. I would say no kid under 13 should see this movie and is a little iffy for young teens.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymusicislove December 1, 2011

gud message

they dont even show the murder and it has a freakiin good message.. reeaally awesomee... ;;)