All member reviews for The Lovely Bones

Haunting mystery-drama examines a child's murder.

Teen, 14 years old Written byb00kw0rm14 March 20, 2012

Great film, disturbing content

I seriously enjoyed this film when I saw it a few months ago. I had already read the book, and so knew what to expect. It was MUCH tamer than the book, but the main theme of the story is still of a girl my age's murder, and what comes after. It was very powerful to me, and I was quite impressed with the acting and emotion. Definitely not for children under 11. A middle-aged man murders several girls, grandmother smokes. Some creepy scenes that freaked me out, such as when Susie learned about all the other murders Mr. Harvey had committed. Her friend from the afterlife was shown face first in a body of water, dead.
Teen, 15 years old Written byfelise1999 March 19, 2012

great film! but if you're a parent, watch it first

i LOVE this movie! i'm 13. my mom wouldn't let me watch this until i was........... i think 12. anyway, it's AMAZING!!!! :) definitely not for young kids. i think at 13 i'm old enough to understand the gravity of the loss when a child dies. i cry EVERY time i watch this. it's a hugely emotional movie. if you're too young, it can be scary, or disturbing. but it can also just be boring if you don't understand it. there's a lot of hatred in this film. saoirse ronan (susie) is amazing. her performance -for me- made the film. she does a great job capturing the audience and making you feel the same emotions that her character is feeling. because of that, it may be too much for some kids to handle. there's also a HUGE amount of loss in this film. susie doesn't get her first kiss before she dies. anytime a child dies you don't just loose a person, you loose innocence and dreams, and most of all, hope. it's an amazing film. breathtaking visual effects. if you're a parent, watch it first. you know if your child is ready to see this. my mom did and when i first asked her if i could watch it i was definitely not ready. but when i did, i was.
Teen, 13 years old Written byOnlooker January 25, 2012

One of those deep movies that touch the heart.

I'm a 13-year-old girl, and I watched this movie right after finishing the book in two days, after not being able to put it down. I see how it might not be suitable for some people, and I'm not just speaking about children here, but to me, this movie had a great impact. I used to laugh and joke about paedophiles and murder/rape cases, but this movie opened my eyes. It just seemed so real. Though you didn't see her get raped and murdered, if you read the book you could picture it all in your head. The surrealness of her family eating dinner while she was in agony, dying all alone, is something that places quite a heavy weight on the reader/watcher. In terms of sexual references, there's pretty much nothing in this movie. The only way to tell that she was raped was if you read the book. A young child can't understand this stuff, but I don't consider myself a young child. I'm 13, and I'm well old enough to watch and read this type of thing. The violence is a bit confronting, but it's the surroundings, and the atmosphere, that really put it out there. It's done splendidly and beautifully, and I think the special effects were done as best as possible. Kids my age, we lie in bed and wonder about what comes after death. This movie didn't clear anything up, but instead it showed me that life is too precious and pure to be gone after death. From now, my relationship with my family is more cherished. You may say it's just a movie, but it was as if I was experiencing reality itself. Everything just had the right amount of unfairness and despair for it to be reality. Overall, I highly recommend this movie (and the book) for those who want a highly moving experience that will have them in tears and enlightenment.
Teen, 16 years old Written bylmtrav December 30, 2011

Good movie, but very disturbing

This is a very thought provoking movie. There are moments of it that are very hard to watch and extremely disturbing. The movie is reasonably well done overall, but it is definitely not for kids unless they are very mature. I know adults who will not even watch it.
Kid, 11 years old December 27, 2011

good movie

despite the violence and scenerio to this movie, the main character, Suzie Salmon, realizes to forgive, and can't hold a grudge on her murderer forever. a young girl she meets leads her to a beautiful place. suzie decides to let go and forgive. she wanted her family to let her go as well. the movie was based on a true story.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBieberFreakinFever December 15, 2011

A Strong Film

The Lovely Bones is definetly a movie that older tweens and young teens will die to see. The film is very good, sad, violent, and dramatic. Even though some Tweens may want to see this chilling tale i strongly recomend waiting until they are 13 or older so they can understand and enjoy the movie better. I would say no kid under 13 should see this movie and is a little iffy for young teens.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymusicislove December 1, 2011

gud message

they dont even show the murder and it has a freakiin good message.. reeaally awesomee... ;;)
Teen, 15 years old Written byTotally500 November 11, 2011

the lovely bones isnt that lovely

this is a bad and boring movie dont see it
Teen, 14 years old Written byscissorluv971 September 27, 2011

The saddest and best movie I've ever seen!!!! :D

I loved this movie!!!! It was so sad when the little brother said to the dad in the middle of the night "Papa. I saw Susie.." It was so sad!!!! I got really creeped out though because my math teacher last year looked a lot like the antagonist (Mr. Harvey)
Teen, 14 years old Written byCrazyKaulitzWriter August 20, 2011

The Lovely Bones. . .

First of all, I think that this was an amazing piece of cinema- Absolutely beautiful to look at. Now, I've never read the book yet, so I can't compare the two, but as a film alone, I'd say that this was fantastic. The violence, I found, was actually rather low (though, coming off of Priest, which is a VERY violent movie that I watched only a few hours earlier, I can't really say that I could judge well as I took it in). The CSM review covers it, really, and I don't think I could say what hasn't already been said in that department. I think some of the images would be a bit disturbing to some, but I wasn't really unsettled. There were a few kisses, and I kinda got the idea that the murderer was a pedophile (o-o), but over all, it's nothing most people my age haven't seen before. Mild language. One use of "f**k", a few insults. I've heard worse. Grandma smoked and drank in front of her grandchildren. In every shot she had, she was holding AT LEAST one cigarette. Sends a good message that one shouldn't go off alone with strange people, no matter if they seem harmless or not, and that things like this could happen to anyone.
Kid, 12 years old August 19, 2011

Good but sad

I thought this movie was very touching though you don't see the murder or any harsh violence but it is implied that it happens off screen but it did have a great ending and it made me cry
Teen, 14 years old Written byScissorluv97 August 13, 2011

So sad! That poor girl!!

I cried so much during this movie!!! It was so sweet and sad!!! I think the acting was amazing and well placed. My friends and I thought the younger sister was a very positive role model because she stayed strong through out the story and was smart and resourceful. I think the nutjobs who think this is unapropriate should stop being so overprotective!! I was twelve when I watched this film and thought it was beautiful! My mom said to me in the theater "wasn't this supposed to be traumatizing?" It wasn't, but it was very sad!
Kid, 11 years old August 11, 2011

trixipix

well it scary but true there are murders out there. but the sister was very fat and then stared working out
Kid, 12 years old July 4, 2011

Mature subject

This movie is hard for me to describe in words. Some pre-teens might not even know how Susie was murdered. In fact, my friend just though that Harvey killed her with a knife (or something along those lines.) The acting was very good. I've heard of a lot of parents taking their pre-teens & younger teens to see this, & a lot of the paents have regretted it. I reccomend that you research this movie before you let your younger kids see it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byonyxprincess June 29, 2011

Beautiful, Slightly Disturbing, Wonderful movie for teens

It really all depends on how mature your kid is. This movie has almost no actual violence, but contains disturbing material, such as a fourteen year old girl's death, and watching her as she watches her family from a place called "The In-Between" This movie made my friend bawl, and I thought it was quite sad too, especially at the part where *SPOILERS* Susie makes it to heaven, and almost every moment of her after life in the In-Between. There also is language, though basically none until one part where there is a brief use of the F word, and my friend didn't even notice it the thousands of times she watched it. I think the "iffy for sixteen" is wrong and I'd say iffy for twelve or thirteen, on for fourteen. It also has messages about not trusting strangers. Very beautiful movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieGuy23 June 10, 2011

The Lovely Bones: A good, yet borderline R movie

The Lovely Bones is a movie that will make an impression. Stanley Tucci is horrifying in the role as a serial killer. Mark Wahlberg and Saorise Ronan match him with emotionally deep performances. Jackson's direction is not as acute as normal, the movie is uneven in parts trying to pull together spellbinding afterlife with cruel realities. Yet the acting and visuals are strong enough to keep the film afloat. Note to parents: The subject matter is far too intense for 13 and under. There is not too much graphic violence here, but there is in pockets. The worst part of the movie is where the girl is trapped with the killer in a claustraphobic environment. The scene was strong enough to which I almost fast-forwarded through it. Even some adults may be disturbed by it. Older teens only.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 June 1, 2011

I couldn't sleep after seeing this movie. I found it extremely disturbing, and it was the first time that had ever happened to me.

My rating: PG-13 [borderline with R] for disturbing content throughout.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez May 26, 2011

16 and up.

the Lovely bones is a good movie good for older audiences it was kinda sad too however the Lovely bones does have some heavy themes that maybe too much for younger kids the movie does have violence, a little bit of language and the grandmother drinks and smokes in front of her grandchildren they also show children's dead bodies floating in the water which is very disturbing some parts of the movie was confusing at first but it was a good movie.
Kid, 12 years old April 22, 2011

If your looking for good role models and positive messages this is not the movie for you

its a great and beuatifully acted movie that i have seen many times before. It is a sad dark and confusing thriller about a child murder.In the movie you dont actually see her death but if you've read the book oyu know whats going on.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperman765 April 16, 2011

haunting mystery focuses on a childs murder

The good stuff * Messages: Though it centers on a shocking murder, the movie takes great pains to juxtapose the violence with love and domesticity. Loss, though destabilizing, is portrayed as far from decimating. Death isn’t explored as an end but a passage. * Role models: Yes, there’s a murderer/pedophile involved, but besides him, the movie's characters are decent and earnest -- as well as realistically imperfect. Though the mother reacts in a surprising way to her daughter’s death, her love for her child comes through; the father is more textbook caring. And the younger sister is impressive in her courage and determination. What to watch out for * Violence: Brief flashes of a man grabbing and throwing a teenager to the floor and against the wall (though her actual death takes place off screen). He’s also shown carrying a bloody bag and soaking in a tub, his blood-stained clothing strewn on the floor. The sink is filled with bloodied water. A safe that presumably holds a corpse is repeatedly shown. The bodies of a serial killer's victims are shown in the various places where they were dumped. A teenager beats up a man with a baseball bat; the man is later shown bruised and battered. * Sex: Some kissing. Implied pedophilia. * Language: One "f--k," plus occasional use of words like "h--l" and "oh God" (as an exclamation). Also some name-calling, including “jerk off,” “moron,” and “stupid.” * Consumerism: Some labels and signage are visible (Kodak, Seventeen magazine). * Drinking, drugs, & smoking: A grandmother chain-smokes and drinks heavily in front of her grandchildren.