All member reviews for The Lovely Bones

Haunting mystery-drama examines a child's murder.

Teen, 14 years old Written byScissorluv97 August 13, 2011

So sad! That poor girl!!

I cried so much during this movie!!! It was so sweet and sad!!! I think the acting was amazing and well placed. My friends and I thought the younger sister was a very positive role model because she stayed strong through out the story and was smart and resourceful. I think the nutjobs who think this is unapropriate should stop being so overprotective!! I was twelve when I watched this film and thought it was beautiful! My mom said to me in the theater "wasn't this supposed to be traumatizing?" It wasn't, but it was very sad!
Kid, 11 years old August 11, 2011

trixipix

well it scary but true there are murders out there. but the sister was very fat and then stared working out
Kid, 12 years old July 4, 2011

Mature subject

This movie is hard for me to describe in words. Some pre-teens might not even know how Susie was murdered. In fact, my friend just though that Harvey killed her with a knife (or something along those lines.) The acting was very good. I've heard of a lot of parents taking their pre-teens & younger teens to see this, & a lot of the paents have regretted it. I reccomend that you research this movie before you let your younger kids see it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byonyxprincess June 29, 2011

Beautiful, Slightly Disturbing, Wonderful movie for teens

It really all depends on how mature your kid is. This movie has almost no actual violence, but contains disturbing material, such as a fourteen year old girl's death, and watching her as she watches her family from a place called "The In-Between" This movie made my friend bawl, and I thought it was quite sad too, especially at the part where *SPOILERS* Susie makes it to heaven, and almost every moment of her after life in the In-Between. There also is language, though basically none until one part where there is a brief use of the F word, and my friend didn't even notice it the thousands of times she watched it. I think the "iffy for sixteen" is wrong and I'd say iffy for twelve or thirteen, on for fourteen. It also has messages about not trusting strangers. Very beautiful movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieGuy23 June 10, 2011

The Lovely Bones: A good, yet borderline R movie

The Lovely Bones is a movie that will make an impression. Stanley Tucci is horrifying in the role as a serial killer. Mark Wahlberg and Saorise Ronan match him with emotionally deep performances. Jackson's direction is not as acute as normal, the movie is uneven in parts trying to pull together spellbinding afterlife with cruel realities. Yet the acting and visuals are strong enough to keep the film afloat. Note to parents: The subject matter is far too intense for 13 and under. There is not too much graphic violence here, but there is in pockets. The worst part of the movie is where the girl is trapped with the killer in a claustraphobic environment. The scene was strong enough to which I almost fast-forwarded through it. Even some adults may be disturbed by it. Older teens only.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 June 1, 2011

I couldn't sleep after seeing this movie. I found it extremely disturbing, and it was the first time that had ever happened to me.

My rating: PG-13 [borderline with R] for disturbing content throughout.
Kid, 12 years old April 22, 2011

If your looking for good role models and positive messages this is not the movie for you

its a great and beuatifully acted movie that i have seen many times before. It is a sad dark and confusing thriller about a child murder.In the movie you dont actually see her death but if you've read the book oyu know whats going on.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperman765 April 16, 2011

haunting mystery focuses on a childs murder

The good stuff * Messages: Though it centers on a shocking murder, the movie takes great pains to juxtapose the violence with love and domesticity. Loss, though destabilizing, is portrayed as far from decimating. Death isn’t explored as an end but a passage. * Role models: Yes, there’s a murderer/pedophile involved, but besides him, the movie's characters are decent and earnest -- as well as realistically imperfect. Though the mother reacts in a surprising way to her daughter’s death, her love for her child comes through; the father is more textbook caring. And the younger sister is impressive in her courage and determination. What to watch out for * Violence: Brief flashes of a man grabbing and throwing a teenager to the floor and against the wall (though her actual death takes place off screen). He’s also shown carrying a bloody bag and soaking in a tub, his blood-stained clothing strewn on the floor. The sink is filled with bloodied water. A safe that presumably holds a corpse is repeatedly shown. The bodies of a serial killer's victims are shown in the various places where they were dumped. A teenager beats up a man with a baseball bat; the man is later shown bruised and battered. * Sex: Some kissing. Implied pedophilia. * Language: One "f--k," plus occasional use of words like "h--l" and "oh God" (as an exclamation). Also some name-calling, including “jerk off,” “moron,” and “stupid.” * Consumerism: Some labels and signage are visible (Kodak, Seventeen magazine). * Drinking, drugs, & smoking: A grandmother chain-smokes and drinks heavily in front of her grandchildren.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJosieGrl April 16, 2011

Manages to be bad and creepy at the same time.

Wow. I watched this and was kinda scared, but then afterward was like wow that was horrible. The events didn't connect at all really and most of the characters were unnecessary. The dad becomes psycho and tries to whack someone that he thinks is the murderer. I mean really confusing and has some really creepy parts.
Adult Written byvwterry March 22, 2011

The Horror Years

For those who grew up in the seventies, this movie plays a bit like a horror version of The Wonder Years, an expanded version of that creepy elementary school child molestation film. Although it mercifully spares us some of the more gruesome details found in the novel, it is much too frightening and disturbing for young teens or younger children.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybananalover March 13, 2011

book was better

i thought the book was better
Teen, 14 years old Written bylucas201 March 12, 2011

Awsome

This is a good movie and i like her message at the end when she says "i hope you all live a long and happy life",im reading the book too.
Kid, 11 years old March 4, 2011

Sad Movie But, Use The Book As A Guide

I love this movie! I laughed and I cried and I smiled. this movie is a wonderful film that you should see. If you're confused try reading the book it explains alot that the movie didn't like susie's murder her relationship with her botfriend Lindsay and her boyfriend ect. I'm not even a quarter through the book and it cleared up alot so just recomending it as a guide but overall great movie
Kid, 12 years old February 28, 2011
the lovely bones is a very depresing film that builds up the tension well. the scene with all the dead bodies is sad and depressing as is the tone of the film.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySgt.Pepper February 21, 2011

Good for mature kids.. Suspense and not much violence.

I saw it when it came out in theaters. My 10 year old brother saw it and he liked it. If your kids are ok with a little violence then it's fine. There isn't even much violence actually, just suspense. When she is lured into the cornfield room she tries to get away and is held back, but it doesn't actually show him murdering Susie. There is one scene where numerous dead girls are shown, all of them were murdered by Susie's killer. Some are dumped in mud, others by a road. This scene is sad and disturbing, but it doesn't show them being killed. I know some kids who probably wouldn't like this movie, but my younger brother wasn't frightened.There isn't much bad language at all, some smoking, no sexual content. It's a sad movie, but pretty appropriate. Some kissing is shown... but that's not really bad. So, I hope this helped a little.
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 21, 2011
i watched this with my friend.my dad tried watching but he couldnt get through it he had to leave the room while me and my friend where watching it.it was too sad for him.but me and my friend watched the whole thing and throughout almost the whole movie we are both crying like crazy. we just couldnt stop crying. the saddest movie i ever seen.it also kind make you wonder what secrets YOUR neighbor is hiding.
Teen, 15 years old Written byraenne January 3, 2011

intense tear-jerker

this movie is the absolute best. I was on the edge of my seat throughout the whole movie! It's DEFINITELY a go!
Teen, 14 years old Written byCoop° December 15, 2010

scary, but beautiful

I actually think it really was depressing and a little scary; I was 13 years old when I saw this movie and I was a little afraid that someone in my street might do the same thing; cause for this character, it is just a man in her str and he's a psychopath or whatever. And after, he wants to kill her sister to and that is what Ii think the most scary part. He creates a whole trap and well yeah, i don't have to explain. But I definitely don't regret that i saw it and it gives a great message. Don't be afraid to die, it's not the end. I think that gives hope to people who lost someone.
Kid, 12 years old November 28, 2010

Great Movie

I'm surprised that this is more for teens. It is COOL! I like it a lot. I'm shocked that I'm undereaged. My mom was conserned that I watched it. I don't think she expected me to like it a lot. My sister liked it too. She's ten years old. I like the movie a lot. Never read the book, but the movie is great. I was a sad movie, but I didn't cry. And it was funny. Cool movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byClarissa-Rose November 14, 2010
I love this film. I think it is quite dark in places but also quite humours in others. I am 14 and I really think they have age-rated this film too highly, although I would not show it to younger children, I defiantly would not rate it a 16. It is a life-changing movie. It is also quite an educational movie with lots of moral topics, like never go off with strangers.