All member reviews for The Lovely Bones

Haunting mystery-drama examines a child's murder.

Teen, 16 years old Written bylmtrav December 30, 2011

Good movie, but very disturbing

This is a very thought provoking movie. There are moments of it that are very hard to watch and extremely disturbing. The movie is reasonably well done overall, but it is definitely not for kids unless they are very mature. I know adults who will not even watch it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLOLZ17 September 6, 2010

Great Movie, Not Age Appropriate

Love movie!! Movie is more appropriate than book. Some bloody scenes but thats about it.
Adult Written byterra100 December 23, 2009

I went to a screening of this film in Hollywood, with Q&A afterward with the cast and the director. This film is for mature audiences, including mature young adults. I took my 15 1/2 year old daughter with me, but she is mature in her thinking for her age -- more like a 19-21 year old. She is also an artist and studies film and animation. This film is INTENSE but absolutely gorgeous. It is a heart-stopping thriller in Hitchcock style. I never read the book, so I can't say how the two match up. But, the movie is incredibly visual. The acting is also superb. The film is more of an art piece -- have patience -- because there is so much symbolism to tell the story. Stanley Tucci, who plays the bad guy, is going to get an Oscar nomination for his amazing performance, mark my words. The lovely bones, according to the director during the Q&A, are to mean the love that people had for each other -- in spite of such a tragedy -- and how they ended up finding love again; watch for how this plays out at the end of the movie and the choices people make. The messages and emotions are deep. Lots to think about after the film in terms of dealing with tragedy and how important family is. Susan Sarandon steels the film with her "grandma" performance!
Teen, 14 years old Written byBirdBoyBen August 20, 2012

What's with all the criticism?

The Lovely Bones is one of the most engaging movies I have ever seen. The acting is brilliant, the plot is interesting and the visuals are stunning. The music choice is also very good and must admit I was almost crying during the 'heaven' scene. The directors have done a good job portraying the violence and sadness in a way that is suitable even for young teenagers, and while I'm sure this contradicts the events in the book (which is far to graphic for young teens) it works well as a movie. Rotten tomatoes stated that the movie had too rapid jumps between emotion and extreme violence, but then isn't that how it would be in real life? For me, this makes the movie more suspenseful and creepy because It makes me imagine similar things happening to be. The only reason a gave it four out of five rather that five out of five is that at times, the movie can be a little unclear and miss out some of the events happening within the family. This kind of helps the 12A certificate though as kids are more likely to be bored with family emotions than with a magical 'in-between land'. I strongly advise that anyone with mature younger teenagers or older should watch this film-not everyone may enjoy it as much as me but it will certainly give you a lot to talk about.
Kid, 12 years old April 18, 2012

A Life Lesson: The Real Meaning of The Lovely Bones/ What parents should consider.

I watched the movie when I was ten, my father said it was awareness, that it really happens. I think parents should be aware of how their child(ren) react to tragic events and understand what happened to Susie Salmon.It has a good meaning and I believe parents who are open to their children knowing about what happens and has happened.
Teen, 14 years old Written byb00kw0rm14 March 20, 2012

Great film, disturbing content

I seriously enjoyed this film when I saw it a few months ago. I had already read the book, and so knew what to expect. It was MUCH tamer than the book, but the main theme of the story is still of a girl my age's murder, and what comes after. It was very powerful to me, and I was quite impressed with the acting and emotion. Definitely not for children under 11. A middle-aged man murders several girls, grandmother smokes. Some creepy scenes that freaked me out, such as when Susie learned about all the other murders Mr. Harvey had committed. Her friend from the afterlife was shown face first in a body of water, dead.
Kid, 12 years old July 4, 2011

Mature subject

This movie is hard for me to describe in words. Some pre-teens might not even know how Susie was murdered. In fact, my friend just though that Harvey killed her with a knife (or something along those lines.) The acting was very good. I've heard of a lot of parents taking their pre-teens & younger teens to see this, & a lot of the paents have regretted it. I reccomend that you research this movie before you let your younger kids see it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byClarissa-Rose November 14, 2010

I love this film. I think it is quite dark in places but also quite humours in others. I am 14 and I really think they have age-rated this film too highly, although I would not show it to younger children, I defiantly would not rate it a 16. It is a life-changing movie. It is also quite an educational movie with lots of moral topics, like never go off with strangers.
Teen, 14 years old Written bythekatfew October 21, 2010

thers a few thang i1. is that its sad 2.thers a littel language 3. thers a grand mother she drinks a lote 4. thers a part wher shey gets grabed but the merder sen but its off screen 5. thers a lot of blood .the move isen well put to gether it dont make sents at 1st but the end explans it to u the pont of the move is shes raped and killed ther reley no parts thats bad .
Teen, 14 years old Written bynickiminaj5 July 22, 2010

very good movie

I love the movie.There is nothing nasty in the movie.The colors and pictures in the movie are really pretty.There is nothing so bad in this movie that you need to cover anyones eyes.
Kid, 10 years old January 17, 2010

It made me cry!

It is a really good movie that is very sad and exciting!
Teen, 13 years old Written byconcernedteen123 July 4, 2012

Not too Shabby...

This is PG-13 for the love of gosh. Chill CSM!!! There is implied rape, a lot of death, and Grandma drinks. That doesn't mean its for 16 and up
Teen, 14 years old Written byCrazyKaulitzWriter August 20, 2011

The Lovely Bones. . .

First of all, I think that this was an amazing piece of cinema- Absolutely beautiful to look at. Now, I've never read the book yet, so I can't compare the two, but as a film alone, I'd say that this was fantastic. The violence, I found, was actually rather low (though, coming off of Priest, which is a VERY violent movie that I watched only a few hours earlier, I can't really say that I could judge well as I took it in). The CSM review covers it, really, and I don't think I could say what hasn't already been said in that department. I think some of the images would be a bit disturbing to some, but I wasn't really unsettled. There were a few kisses, and I kinda got the idea that the murderer was a pedophile (o-o), but over all, it's nothing most people my age haven't seen before. Mild language. One use of "f**k", a few insults. I've heard worse. Grandma smoked and drank in front of her grandchildren. In every shot she had, she was holding AT LEAST one cigarette. Sends a good message that one shouldn't go off alone with strange people, no matter if they seem harmless or not, and that things like this could happen to anyone.
Kid, 12 years old August 19, 2011

Good but sad

I thought this movie was very touching though you don't see the murder or any harsh violence but it is implied that it happens off screen but it did have a great ending and it made me cry
Teen, 14 years old Written byScissorluv97 August 13, 2011

So sad! That poor girl!!

I cried so much during this movie!!! It was so sweet and sad!!! I think the acting was amazing and well placed. My friends and I thought the younger sister was a very positive role model because she stayed strong through out the story and was smart and resourceful. I think the nutjobs who think this is unapropriate should stop being so overprotective!! I was twelve when I watched this film and thought it was beautiful! My mom said to me in the theater "wasn't this supposed to be traumatizing?" It wasn't, but it was very sad!
Kid, 11 years old August 11, 2011

trixipix

well it scary but true there are murders out there. but the sister was very fat and then stared working out
Teen, 13 years old Written byonyxprincess June 29, 2011

Beautiful, Slightly Disturbing, Wonderful movie for teens

It really all depends on how mature your kid is. This movie has almost no actual violence, but contains disturbing material, such as a fourteen year old girl's death, and watching her as she watches her family from a place called "The In-Between" This movie made my friend bawl, and I thought it was quite sad too, especially at the part where *SPOILERS* Susie makes it to heaven, and almost every moment of her after life in the In-Between. There also is language, though basically none until one part where there is a brief use of the F word, and my friend didn't even notice it the thousands of times she watched it. I think the "iffy for sixteen" is wrong and I'd say iffy for twelve or thirteen, on for fourteen. It also has messages about not trusting strangers. Very beautiful movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylucas201 March 12, 2011

Awsome

This is a good movie and i like her message at the end when she says "i hope you all live a long and happy life",im reading the book too.
Kid, 11 years old March 4, 2011

Sad Movie But, Use The Book As A Guide

I love this movie! I laughed and I cried and I smiled. this movie is a wonderful film that you should see. If you're confused try reading the book it explains alot that the movie didn't like susie's murder her relationship with her botfriend Lindsay and her boyfriend ect. I'm not even a quarter through the book and it cleared up alot so just recomending it as a guide but overall great movie
Kid, 12 years old February 28, 2011

the lovely bones is a very depresing film that builds up the tension well. the scene with all the dead bodies is sad and depressing as is the tone of the film.