All member reviews for The Lovely Bones

Haunting mystery-drama examines a child's murder.

Teen, 15 years old Written bySgt.Pepper February 21, 2011

Good for mature kids.. Suspense and not much violence.

I saw it when it came out in theaters. My 10 year old brother saw it and he liked it. If your kids are ok with a little violence then it's fine. There isn't even much violence actually, just suspense. When she is lured into the cornfield room she tries to get away and is held back, but it doesn't actually show him murdering Susie. There is one scene where numerous dead girls are shown, all of them were murdered by Susie's killer. Some are dumped in mud, others by a road. This scene is sad and disturbing, but it doesn't show them being killed. I know some kids who probably wouldn't like this movie, but my younger brother wasn't frightened.There isn't much bad language at all, some smoking, no sexual content. It's a sad movie, but pretty appropriate. Some kissing is shown... but that's not really bad. So, I hope this helped a little.
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 21, 2011
i watched this with my friend.my dad tried watching but he couldnt get through it he had to leave the room while me and my friend where watching it.it was too sad for him.but me and my friend watched the whole thing and throughout almost the whole movie we are both crying like crazy. we just couldnt stop crying. the saddest movie i ever seen.it also kind make you wonder what secrets YOUR neighbor is hiding.
Teen, 15 years old Written byraenne January 3, 2011

intense tear-jerker

this movie is the absolute best. I was on the edge of my seat throughout the whole movie! It's DEFINITELY a go!
Teen, 14 years old Written byCoop° December 15, 2010

scary, but beautiful

I actually think it really was depressing and a little scary; I was 13 years old when I saw this movie and I was a little afraid that someone in my street might do the same thing; cause for this character, it is just a man in her str and he's a psychopath or whatever. And after, he wants to kill her sister to and that is what Ii think the most scary part. He creates a whole trap and well yeah, i don't have to explain. But I definitely don't regret that i saw it and it gives a great message. Don't be afraid to die, it's not the end. I think that gives hope to people who lost someone.
Kid, 12 years old November 28, 2010

Great Movie

I'm surprised that this is more for teens. It is COOL! I like it a lot. I'm shocked that I'm undereaged. My mom was conserned that I watched it. I don't think she expected me to like it a lot. My sister liked it too. She's ten years old. I like the movie a lot. Never read the book, but the movie is great. I was a sad movie, but I didn't cry. And it was funny. Cool movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byClarissa-Rose November 14, 2010
I love this film. I think it is quite dark in places but also quite humours in others. I am 14 and I really think they have age-rated this film too highly, although I would not show it to younger children, I defiantly would not rate it a 16. It is a life-changing movie. It is also quite an educational movie with lots of moral topics, like never go off with strangers.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySACYUC October 21, 2010

Nothing new for the genre

Pretty bad, it is boring and repetitive, althought it have some good parts.
Teen, 14 years old Written bythekatfew October 21, 2010
thers a few thang i1. is that its sad 2.thers a littel language 3. thers a grand mother she drinks a lote 4. thers a part wher shey gets grabed but the merder sen but its off screen 5. thers a lot of blood .the move isen well put to gether it dont make sents at 1st but the end explans it to u the pont of the move is shes raped and killed ther reley no parts thats bad .
Kid, 11 years old October 17, 2010

Ok for tweens NOT ok for young ones still in elementary school.

It was a REALLY good movie! I saw it and didn't think it was THAT bad. There was some inapropriate parts. And, the story and what it is mainly about is really sad. There are cuss words and kissing, and some violence.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDhana September 27, 2010
A good movie with the murderer around the toppings.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLOLZ17 September 6, 2010

Great Movie, Not Age Appropriate

Love movie!! Movie is more appropriate than book. Some bloody scenes but thats about it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byslasher23 September 5, 2010
Teen, 13 years old Written bygirl4natwolff August 10, 2010

Love this, but your younger children will be frightened.

I found this movie beautiful, and life-changing. I did not exactly find it disturbing, but my mother did. If you have a young daughter, this movie will make you more protective over your child.This is a story about a 14- year - old girl named Susie Salmon who gets raped and murdered. The raping is not shown however, and the murdering is shown with Susie laying on the ground,(you only see the side of her face), and the murderer beats her repeatedly, and it is implied that she is killed. Meanwhile, Susie's parents wonder why she is late for dinner. While Susie is dead, she sees the murderer in his bathroom, taking a bath in gray water. There is mud and blood everywhere, and this appears to be what he's doing after he kills Susie. Susie sees her charm bracelet hanging around the faucet of the bloody sink. A knife that was sitting on the sink drops to the floor, the murderer removes the washcloth off his face, looks at Susie with a CREEPY smile, Susie screams, and vanishes. I saw this picture when I was 12, PLEASE don't let your little ones (ages 2-11) see this! I found it amazing and well done and hardly disturbing, but all children experience it differently.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMktheReviewer August 8, 2010

Good mystery/thriller movie!

I'm not sure why the site reviewed this movie the way it did. IT is totally appropriate from all aspects starting with violence. the violence in this movie is fine for a PG-13 movie. There is a couplr scenes where blood is shown. Corpses are also shown. But this is not too bad for a PG-13 movie. The sex in this movie is kept to a down low. You know the girl is raped but it is not shown in the movie. It implies that she was sexually abused but nothing is shown. then other than that, it is movie where lessons can be learned. This movie illustrates that talking to 'strangers' is indeed bad. And that the love between a father and daughter is stronger than anything.
Kid, 10 years old August 7, 2010

The Lovely Bones Is a Lovely Movie.

Ok I LOVE IT! 1st movie in my faves! If you like movies with a tiny bit of (very tiny) thrill, Drama, and a bit of comedy... this is the movie for U. I loved it. I couldn't take my eyes of it. Salmon (The girl who got murdred(THE ACTRESS WHO PLAYS HER)did a great GREAT job. The movie was perfetion!
Teen, 16 years old Written byminaj August 5, 2010

physco

i liked it alot but some parts were boring
Teen, 14 years old Written bynickiminaj5 July 22, 2010

very good movie

I love the movie.There is nothing nasty in the movie.The colors and pictures in the movie are really pretty.There is nothing so bad in this movie that you need to cover anyones eyes.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTwigirl1097 July 14, 2010
Loved it!! definatly one of the best movies ive ever seen. Im 12 and the rating says iffy for 16+ which is off
Kid, 9 years old June 25, 2010

For teens

its a terriabel movie i hate it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytimmphy do June 7, 2010
it was a very sad movie with loss. but awesome movie!!!!!!!!!