Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for The Magnificent Seven

Crowd-pleasing Western remake is very violent.

Adult Written byMikel R. September 28, 2016

Badly put togather and Antichristian!

The movie is the worse of the remakes. Their were many scenes that made no sense. Including how and why everyone joined the group. It was very badly thought off movie. Their were many plot holes.
A big issue was it being antichristian. Very unnecessary church scenes meant to attack Christianity.
The action was fun and cast was good but did not save this badly done movie. You just don't care much like you did in the other versions. The director should just resign he has not make a good movie since training day. Kids should definitely not watch this as its a lot of violence. Teenagers it depend on the individual. However no one should watch this it's a waste time. Just wait for a better movie.
Adult Written bychrijeff50 September 24, 2016

What you have to remember

When you consider a movie like this one, you have to keep in mind that the director is trying to re-create a time and place in which established "law and order" often couldn't, wouldn't, or simply didn't do the job. It was up to private individuals to protect themselves, their property, and their families, and to settle for hurts done to them. Thus violence. Given that this one is rated PG-13 when many Westerns that I see on the DVD racks are R's, I think it's a good deal *less* bloody than many. Moreover, it's a good taking-off point for discussions on how much simpler problems were in those "high and far-off times," as Kipling called them. Situations were elemental; you *knew* who the good and bad guys were. So often nowadays this isn't true. You might try asking your kids: How can you know you're in the right and the other guy isn't?
Adult Written byhermanf September 25, 2016

Good movie

5 star rating, it give a warm spiritual lesson to help your neighbor in times of need, coming together

Adult Written byGrier the Grier November 7, 2019

Amazing storyline

tells my kids positive messages and how to deal with real world problems.

Adult Written byGracie B. June 25, 2017

Ummmmmm...wtf

THIS MOVIE IS ABSOLUTE TRASH I HATED IT THEY KILLED ALMOST EVERY CHARACTER EVERYONE DIED IT WAS A WASTE OF TIME I WANT TO STRANGLE EVERYONE WHO HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS MOVIE WHY WASTE YIUR TIME MAKING SUCH STRING CHARACTERS ONLY TO KILL THEN ALL OFF I'm done this movie is trash who's idea was this
Adult Written bylastjedi5 April 16, 2017

Terrible

The protagonists are completely immoral.

Adult Written byChance M. February 20, 2017

Magnificent for 16+

This is a very well made movie (it followed the original formula) but is very violent with charecters frequntly killed in very violent ways. Most of the violence in the way of shooting people with a little bit of blood on the bodies but there is also some use of knives and axes throughout the film. There was LOTS of violence in it but that is what made this movie good. Though it is a very well done film with a realistic ending that makes sece in the situation (SPOILERS 4 of the 7 die which may be traumatic for some younger audiences) I personally say you need to watch this film but keep the young ones away.

Parent of a 15 year old Written byLaurin L. February 11, 2017
Adult Written byme m. February 2, 2017

It has done it well

I went and watched this movie not really knowing much about it having never seen the originals but this movie was amazing. It is my favorite of all time but that said that doesnt make it appropriate. It has lots of brutal violence (SPOILERS: not limited to shooting, stabbing, chocking blasting a mans ear off seeing a bullet in a mans head chucking knives bloody wounds ) though gunfighting makes up about 90% of the violence it is still very intense. It is very good but should have been rated R

Adult Written byStevie111 October 22, 2016

Excellent Western with extreme violence

I absolutely loved The Magnificent Seven. The characters are all portrayed well, and Antoine Fuqua did a great job directing. It felt a lot like 3:10 to Yuma with a bit more humor. Although, it was a lot darker than your typical PG-13 action film. It was easily as bad as 3:10 to Yuma despite different ratings. This pushed the rating to the absolute limit. This should be an R rated movie strictly based off of violence. It isn't even all directed to the villains. Characters and innocent townspeople are killed in usually fairly exaggerated ways. This is a great action film, but for mature teens and adults that can handle a fair bit of intense violence.

Adult Written bymfisher0521 October 13, 2016

Magnificent but Violent!

I was very satisfied at the end of this film! I had a BLAST! But I'd keep the kiddos away from this one! This is a western, so expect a ton of shootouts, and violence! Walking into this, I knew what was coming. "A revenge story with a big and brutal final act!" From the lengthy opening act on, the film goes full blast! (Literally) This film definitely lives up to its PG-13 rating. Apart from the violence, language is present, but not extreme! The film has a phenomenal sense of teamwork and coming together in times of need! Overall, I loved this movie and would see it again. The age range for me is 15 and up! I hope you had as good as a time as I did at the movies!

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byHigg275 October 8, 2016

Might be good movie...but I walked out

My 12-year old son convinced me to take him (and his 9-year-old brother) to see this movie. Normally, I vet movies thoroughly (to their disappointment!) and choose carefully. But I was feeling lazy and BELIEVED my 12-year-old when he told me from across the room that CommonSenseMedia rated this movie as 12+. Normally, the PG-13 rating would cause me to leave my 9-year-old at home and would cause me to proceed cautiously with my 12-year-old. But I was in the mood for a movie, I was tired of saying 'no' to everything they ask for, and I thought I'd trust my son and take the risk. Egads! I couldn't have been more wrong! I ended up walking out after the long, opening scene. (My boys stayed behind with their father--my sensitive 9-year-old clutching his father's arm with wide frightened eyes.) If you are okay with your children seeing innocent town people (fathers and husbands) being terrified extensively, and then shot and left for dead in front of their children simply for asking questions, and if you are okay with your children seeing women being killed gruesomely with an AXE in broad daylight after a church meeting, then this movie is okay for your children to see. I was feeling so much stress and horror after the extremely LONG opening scene that I left. My youngest ABSOLUTELY shouldn't have been there. But at that point I didn't want to make a scene trying to get him to leave with me. Big mistake for our family. Furthermore, after leaving....I realized that I had forgotten my water bottle. So, I RETURNED to the film in time to see a man (one of the "Magnificent" men) do a magic trick for a man just before shooting him point blank, and then play psychological games with the other man, before shooting off his right ear. Excellent. Looks like the violence didn't let up while I was gone.

Adult Written byLeslie S. October 1, 2016

This movie has so much killing and swearing I should've left.

I learned a great lesson, I tell my kids all the time if they feel yucky inside there is a a reason and they need to leave the situation. I should've listened to my own advice when I was at this movie. I felt and still feel yucky. This world does not need to see and hear the gruesome killing that went on over and over and over and over..you get my drift. Plus there is a Lot of swearing. I really wish I never would've gone.

Adult Written byJenny S. September 24, 2016

Rated R Gory

This movie was enjoyable, but the violence was extreme and was comparable to the violence of a rated R movie. The movie did show a sense of unity and the fight of good against evil. The language was extreme at times, using the Lord's name in vain and other expletives, but was not used commonly throughout the whole movie. There were quite a few scenes with prostitutes, though the cleavage and dress wasn't extreme. The main actress was dressed more extreme through certain parts of the movie and more like a prostitute than the actual prostitutes. As Common Sense Media explained, her cleavage was highlighted throughout the movie. This isn't a movie I would approve a young child to see and is definitely more appropriate for a child of age 18 and up.

Adult Written byB B September 23, 2016

Too gory

Pretty good film, though we had to walk out after 40 minutes. My son can usually handle things rated on this site at 13-14, but this was too gory, particularly the knife and axe action. Violence-wise falls somewhere between Avengers and Deadpool.