All member reviews for The Matrix

Intense, but many teens will be able to handle it.

Adult Written byJakk May 19, 2011

Exciting, fun, and fine for teens - doesn't deserve the R rating

The Matrix is a classic action film that's great for teens, and in no way does it deserve an R rating. There are a lot of fist fights and shootouts here, but there's almost no blood and nothing graphic is ever shown. The violence in this film is stylized and intense, but is still easily within PG-13 territory. Moderate coarse language is used throughout the film, including the s-word. The music during the closing credits includes a song with stronger language (though this will go unnoticed by most viewers). There are two drug references and one sexual innuendo, but those are closer to PG than R. The film has positive main characters who are willing to sacrifice themselves to save others (though there is one rotten apple in the bunch), and the film contains a lot of thought-provoking philosophical content that will interest intelligent viewers.
Adult Written byCastellanos June 21, 2009

Classic Sci-Fi is a step above the average movie

The Matrix is one of the few films that you'll find in almost anyones movie library. This is no surprise however, because the Matrix is a step above many sci-fi movies like it. The plot does not falter at any point during the film and the acting is superb. The shootouts are exhilarating and the special effects were ground-breaking. I'd recommend the Matrix to everyone. Action fans will be satisfied by the violence and people looking for something more than just action will also be pleased by the ideas and questions that the Matrix raises. Parents should know that even though the Matrix is rated R, it is on the softer side of the R rating. There are lots of guns and shootouts (although mostly bloodless), a passionate kiss, and a couple of s**ts and damns.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byjimanorris May 21, 2011

Good movie...

A little violent, but most teens should be able to easily tell it's not real.
Adult Written byshadowx13 April 9, 2008

My All Time Favorite!

This movie has action for those action fans out there but it also has what most action movies don't have a deep message. This movie makes you ponder life diferently and think about the world and what it is becoming. At the end of the movie don't think about the amazing action sequences, think about what this movie is telling you.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJaws 100 July 18, 2014

Intense action thriller

Great action movie definitely should have been 12, 18 is a bit extreme because there's no sex and the violence isn't gory.
Parent of a 5, 9, and 12 year old Written byThoughtfulDad March 20, 2010

Amazing film for thoughtful young adults

It's impossible to talk about the Matrix and kids without discussing the violence portrayed in this film. This film depicts martial-arts fighting scenes, point blank shooting and machine-gun volleys of destruction with a vividness that cannot be down-played. My wife and I are in a heated debate about whether or not this film is appropriate our oldest of three children. My 12 year old is growing up in a culture that provide 12 year-olds with a near limitless connectivity to the big, big world of the Internet. There are very few parents that have adequate technical skills to fully monitor / constrain access to the Internet from an averagely adept 12 year old. Personally - I'd rather pick my battles (no pun intended) and be there for my kid as he's growing up. Waiting until he's 17 and just about to head out the door… I don't think so. I happen to be a science fiction fan. Over the years, I've found a lot of joy in some of the wonderful stories, messages and mind-bending philosophies that are the hallmark of great science fiction. The Matrix is one of the works of science fiction that captures a lot of the greatness from different works across the genre: like a "highlight real". At the centerpiece of this film are characters that are filled with goodness, human self-doubt and in the end, a heroic commitment towards positive goals. In the review under the "Families Can Talk About" section above - the reviewer does a nice recap of some of those classic science fiction themes that find their way into The Matrix. Based on where my son is, I believe that this is going to lead to a lot of great discussions between the the two of us. I do not believe that the graphic violence will be part of those discussions. If you follow the plot of the film, the violence in this film occurs in a computer generated virtual-reality - not to "real" people. If this concept is too much to understand for your child, then I wouldn't recommend the film at this time. My feelings on this front are greatly influenced by the fact that my son is an extremely kind and thoughtful person - even more so when considering his age. I think this film offers more common ground for the two of us to engage than it will be a bad influence on his development. I don't know if I'm going to get agreement from my wife for another 5 years, but I do know I look forward to sharing it with my kid - whenever that happens and do hope that it's not too far in the future.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJinxywinxy December 23, 2014

The best science fiction movie ever made.

This film is the ultimate science fiction adventure and keeps you entertained throughout. Some children may be disturbed by the dark and somewhat depressing dystopia in this film, however, others will find it exciting. There is a fair amount of violence in this film which is heavily choreographed and stylised to give an unrealistic 'virtual' effect. It's a great movie to watch on your own or with friends and depending on the individuals , has the potential to be a great film for the family to watch together.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp February 14, 2011

Suggested MPAA Rating: PG-13 for sci-fi violence and some language.
Teen, 16 years old Written byA Dandelion October 24, 2010

Modern masterpiece that might frighten and confuse some tweens

Now a cult film, the Matrix bent minds upon its release in many new and unpleasant ways. This movie is great in how it makes us question what reality truly is and how the future of our industrial world will play out if we aren't careful (think 'The Terminator' taken up a notch, and with more style). Can be a liitle scary and disturbing, though. Be careful with younger kids. If they can take the heat, definitely worth multiple watches.
Kid, 11 years old October 19, 2010

It's so cool, I can't even come up with a title that's witty and sarcastic enough to keep up with those of my other reviews.

The Matrix is essentially the best movie I have ever watched (besides the unchallenged The Guns of Naverone). The acting is superb, the special effects are amazing, and everything else you could want is a film is there. It's sovereign-ness really comes out in the lobby scene (one of the most cliched scenes of all time, sadly). But, now for the bad stuff... Sex: 1/5. One of Morpheus' teammates, Mouse, talks about a computer simulation which includes an attractive blonde who is meant to be a distraction, and offers to "introduce" her to Neo, stating that "to deny our impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human". Another of Morpheus' teammates, Switch, then calls Mouse "the digital pimp". Later, Mouse is seen in Morpheus' mansion looking at a picture of the woman with lots of X's and "hot woman"'s written all over it. Violence: 4/5. In the beginning, Neo is being interrogated by Smith. When Smith says "What good is a phone call...if you're unable to speak?" in a response to Neo's begs for a phone call. Then, Neo's moth closes up like it's melting and he is forced onto the table. A robotic tracking bug is placed in his belly button, leaving lot's of green goo all over the place. Later, Trinity uses a large, scary-looking device to extract it. Neo's belly button is electrocuted, and in the business end of the gun (which is a clear tube) there appears to be a squirming...something that is surrounded by red material I preferred not to try to identify. Language: 2/5. Mild curses. In the interrogation scene between Neo and Smith, Neo gives Smith the middle finger.
Kid, 10 years old July 19, 2010

Depends on age and parent or child

This has common language & violence... but it depends on the kid and/or parent if it is appropriate.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjjz514 March 1, 2010

Perfect for anyone liking action, or philsophy.

I am very, very interested in this movie. Ever since I'd seen it I've been interested in philosophy. It has an amazing story, and great storyline. This is overall, the greatest movie I've ever seen. I don't really understand why it was rated r though.
Adult Written by4Spice October 19, 2009

great sci fi movie

awesome movie great action truth is if you want to know how old you have to be to watch this movie it all depense on you if your more mature you can watch it at 12 if not i rate 15
Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

Definitely should have been PG-13

Though this movie is pretty dated, the special effects are top notch. I was actually very surprised I was watching something that wasn't just made! There is quite a lot of violence, and it was particularly gruesome when the bug crawled in the protaganists belly button, but other than that, this movie should have been rated PG-13, because I have seen many PG-13 movies that are worse than this R one.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBondJamesBond July 3, 2014

Groundbreaking...

This movie, For it's time, was groundbreaking, and it still hold up today. I honestly think kids ages 12 + would be able to handle this, but the first 1/2 hour is gritty and dark, espeacially a scene where a bug goes inside of neo's belly. but after that, it's pretty appropriate. but the story is pretty complicated and worth miltiple viewings. the characters are pretty flat and 2 dimensional, but the movie is made in such a way, that i still care about what happens to them. the love story is pretty cliche but i guess that's the only gripe of with the movie, so i think kids 13, or maybe so 11, or 12 year olds would be able to handle this film. and critically, i will give it and (8.6/10.)
Adult Written bymoviemaker201 August 20, 2012

Was I Having an Awesome Dream?

I LOVED IT!!!! This was by far the greatest Sci - Fi epic I've ever seen!!! The storyline is magnificent, the characters are in such variety, and the special effects are way ahead of it's time. The story follows Neo, a computer program designer/hacker whom recently started to receive messages on the computer pointing towards a man named Morpheus and his crew of rebels, who have been looking for him for a long time, believing he is the re-incarnation of their potential savior. They show him that our world is a fake one created by machines in order to hide the ugly truth: in the real world, machines have taken over, and are growing humans in fields as energy. Morpheus trains him to become "the one," and fulfill his destiny: destroy the machines and restore balance. (Ironically, the film's special effects relied almost entirely on computers.) Violence: 8/10 This is an action thriller that's not for the faint of heart. Thirty minutes into it, a man's lips melt together, people are shot at, and a centipede-like machine enters a man's belly button. (We later see it removed with a device and it's covered in a pink substance.) Later, several men are shot throughout the film, some of it bloodless, some of it quite graphic. There is a very entertaining martial arts scene taking place in a dojo. Numerous scenes include martial arts stunts and fights. Lots of explosions. We see a pivotal character tortured and pitiful. His eyes are red from crying. Language: 6/10 There are tons of curses, swears, and cusses. (S*** is most commonly used.) Sex: 5/10 A few passionate kisses. A crew member of Morpheus's crew named Mouse creates a virtual training reality in which a woman in red is used as a distraction. He later says that he can design a sex simulation with her for Neo. One of the crew calls him a digital pimp. We later see him looking at a skimpy photo of the woman in red. Consumerism: 0/10 None. Drinking, Drugs, and Smoking: 3/10 A pill is used as a choice in one scene: Pick the red one for the truth, pick the blue one to be oblivious to it. There's a brief drinking scene. Wine and champaign are shown on tables and enjoyed in a restaurant scene. MPAA Official Rating: Rated R for sci-fi violence and brief language
Kid, 11 years old July 29, 2012

15 / R

Contains sci-fi violence and brief language.
Parent Written byagenthappyman July 20, 2012

Too violent for teens

Lots of bloody stabbings and fights and shootings.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMike the LEGO Dude July 2, 2012

The Matrix!

My MPAA Rating: PG-13 for Intense Stylized Sci-Fi Violence and Language
Parent of a 5 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 May 28, 2012

matrix

Families can talk about the relationship between humans and machines, and why Smith says that the first Matrix program, creating the perception of a utopia-like society, was unacceptable to the humans. Their attempt to keep the humans compliant through happiness did not work, so they had to try again with the past "reality" of a stress-filled world. There are also issues of destiny versus free will and loyalty versus self-interest. Parents should think about raising the issue of violence in movies, and the impact it has on viewers, especially impressionable or disaffected ones, as well.