All teen and kid member reviews for The Matrix

Kid, 11 years old October 19, 2010

It's so cool, I can't even come up with a title that's witty and sarcastic enough to keep up with those of my other reviews.

The Matrix is essentially the best movie I have ever watched (besides the unchallenged The Guns of Naverone). The acting is superb, the special effects are amazing, and everything else you could want is a film is there. It's sovereign-ness really comes out in the lobby scene (one of the most cliched scenes of all time, sadly). But, now for the bad stuff... Sex: 1/5. One of Morpheus' teammates, Mouse, talks about a computer simulation which includes an attractive blonde who is meant to be a distraction, and offers to "introduce" her to Neo, stating that "to deny our impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human". Another of Morpheus' teammates, Switch, then calls Mouse "the digital pimp". Later, Mouse is seen in Morpheus' mansion looking at a picture of the woman with lots of X's and "hot woman"'s written all over it. Violence: 4/5. In the beginning, Neo is being interrogated by Smith. When Smith says "What good is a phone call...if you're unable to speak?" in a response to Neo's begs for a phone call. Then, Neo's moth closes up like it's melting and he is forced onto the table. A robotic tracking bug is placed in his belly button, leaving lot's of green goo all over the place. Later, Trinity uses a large, scary-looking device to extract it. Neo's belly button is electrocuted, and in the business end of the gun (which is a clear tube) there appears to be a squirming...something that is surrounded by red material I preferred not to try to identify. Language: 2/5. Mild curses. In the interrogation scene between Neo and Smith, Neo gives Smith the middle finger.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJaws 100 July 18, 2014

Intense action thriller

Great action movie definitely should have been 12, 18 is a bit extreme because there's no sex and the violence isn't gory.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBondJamesBond July 3, 2014

Groundbreaking...

This movie, For it's time, was groundbreaking, and it still hold up today. I honestly think kids ages 12 + would be able to handle this, but the first 1/2 hour is gritty and dark, espeacially a scene where a bug goes inside of neo's belly. but after that, it's pretty appropriate. but the story is pretty complicated and worth miltiple viewings. the characters are pretty flat and 2 dimensional, but the movie is made in such a way, that i still care about what happens to them. the love story is pretty cliche but i guess that's the only gripe of with the movie, so i think kids 13, or maybe so 11, or 12 year olds would be able to handle this film. and critically, i will give it and (8.6/10.)
Kid, 11 years old August 14, 2013

I COULD WATCH THIS AGAIN AND AGAIN

MY RATING: RATED R FOR STRONG SCI-FI VIOLENCE, BRIEF LANGUAGE AND SOME DISTURBING IMAGES. What parents need to know: This movie shouldn't be R, but since it pushes the PG-13 rating greatly, I gave it an R. Ages 12 and up should be able to handle the violence. (The violence is mainly intense gunfire, jumping off walls, one image of brief blood, and martial arts action/violence) Ages 12+ with a stronger stomach should be able to handle the disturbing images. Their is a scene where a centipede creature enters a man's belly button, which is very creepy and probably the main reason the movie is R in the first place. Also, a man's mouth is removed almost by magic briefly so he looks a bit like Slenderman. This is nt as bad as the centipede scene. Also, a man has acupuncture. That's about it. The language is on a PG-13 level, as in sh*t and godd*mn. It has an amazing plot that is very complicated and sci-fi like. So if you like a sci-fi epic with an outstanding plot, go see The Matrix!
Teen, 13 years old Written bybecuzimbatman June 14, 2013

The matrix is truly amazing

Are you kidding me! this movie is just as violent as the avengers. There are a few silly shootouts where we se bullet holes in jackets and a stupid scene where a mans upper body is smashed into the ceiling on top of a moving train- we all see a stupid amount of fake looking blood while neo makes a cheesy quote about heights for rides
Teen, 13 years old Written byjjz514 March 1, 2010

Perfect for anyone liking action, or philsophy.

I am very, very interested in this movie. Ever since I'd seen it I've been interested in philosophy. It has an amazing story, and great storyline. This is overall, the greatest movie I've ever seen. I don't really understand why it was rated r though.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJinxywinxy December 23, 2014

The best science fiction movie ever made.

This film is the ultimate science fiction adventure and keeps you entertained throughout. Some children may be disturbed by the dark and somewhat depressing dystopia in this film, however, others will find it exciting. There is a fair amount of violence in this film which is heavily choreographed and stylised to give an unrealistic 'virtual' effect. It's a great movie to watch on your own or with friends and depending on the individuals , has the potential to be a great film for the family to watch together.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp February 14, 2011
Suggested MPAA Rating: PG-13 for sci-fi violence and some language.
Teen, 16 years old Written byA Dandelion October 24, 2010

Modern masterpiece that might frighten and confuse some tweens

Now a cult film, the Matrix bent minds upon its release in many new and unpleasant ways. This movie is great in how it makes us question what reality truly is and how the future of our industrial world will play out if we aren't careful (think 'The Terminator' taken up a notch, and with more style). Can be a liitle scary and disturbing, though. Be careful with younger kids. If they can take the heat, definitely worth multiple watches.
Kid, 10 years old July 19, 2010

Depends on age and parent or child

This has common language & violence... but it depends on the kid and/or parent if it is appropriate.
Teen, 13 years old Written byzombieface August 9, 2015

Solid action flick

This would be a PG-13 movie if it wasn't for a song during the credits that said the f--- every 15 seconds (and that's why I marked it for language). It's all PG-13 violence, there is pretty much no sexuality, no language, however there is blood shown in gunshot wounds, but it's just red stains on white shirts. I thought it was just an average action movie, some good fights, not particularly interesting.
Kid, 12 years old January 5, 2015

Watched This at 11

Ughh... Seriously, CSM? This was a great movie (added bonus: pop culture references) with very interesting philosophical implications (is life real???). There is very little blood, although there is a lot of violence and the part with the stomach location tracker was gross (surgery).
Teen, 14 years old Written byCommon_Sense_Movies August 11, 2014

Unbelievable movie, too violent for younger kids

This movie is one of my favorite movies of all time and everyone should see it at least once in their lifetime. Considered a groundbreaking film in its time due to the complex sci-fi plot development and the amazing special effects (which still look good today), The Matrix is a sci-fi classic that still heavily influences cinema today, and many people make references to it even now. Despite the ratings on positive messages for The Matrix on this website, I think it has much more to offer than just the character dynamics presented in the review of it (although most of the characters are great). Notice also the mythological allusions presented in the names of characters and places in the movie (which are present throughout the trilogy) and their relevance to the story, as well as the foreshadowing (which has several literary allusions in it) presented in the beginning of the movie. The plot is deeply intellectual in content and traces back to George Berkeley's philosophy of immaterialism (which I have been studying on my own due to my obsession with this movie), which was formulated as early as the 18th century. The plot and allusions make for good later discussions, as well as the thought-provoking, catchy concepts (red pill-blue pill, "follow the white rabbit" as a key allusion, "squiddies", uploading knowledge etc.). The technology appears obviously outdated, but it still makes sense for the plot, as the humans are supposed to be improvising in the technology they use to combat the machines, and it looks old-fashioned in a stylistic way. The actors all portray strong characters that each have some important role in the movie. (I'm currently watching The Matrix for the 8th time, and I've realized that all the characters have at least one memorable line.) This film is not suitable for younger kids, however, because there is consistent violence (the morals are the typical action-movie "kill-the-bad-guy-and-you'll-win"). Though most of the best special effects are presented in the action scenes, these scenes involve a lot of gun use, explosions, and combat. It's too intense for kids under 12, in my opinion. There is also consistent swearing throughout the movie, although most of the swearing is relatively mild. Two details that are not mentioned in the website reviews are a scene where a character "flips off" someone (intended as a joke), and a very mild drug reference in one of the beginning scenes (it's easily overlooked and not at all pertinent to the movie, and it is also intended to be a joke). This is an amazing movie for teenagers and adults alike, and can be enjoyed as an awesome action movie or a complex sci-fi film with many multifaceted aspects to it. I hope you appreciate it as I did.
Kid, 11 years old February 2, 2014

The Matrix

I had a sleepover and I chose this movie. We were four and about one person was twelve and we were eleven. WE ALL LIKED IT. There is a part, though, where Agent Smith makes this metal bug go inside of Neo by his belly botton, and there is some shooting. I'd say you'd need to be a mature 11 year old. They also say sh-t a couple of times.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytaylorpenny December 28, 2013

Violent, Pretty Profane, And Brilliant

This fantastic film, while very violent, is okay for 13-year-olds. If your kid is a sci-fi fan, expect him/her to beg you to watch this movie. Rest assured, they are begging you for good reason. It is one of the best movies ever made. The Matrix is extremely violent, but there is never too much blood. There is a fair bit of language, like "sh*t" and "hell", but it is nothing a reasonably mature kid couldn't handle.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNitro_Python July 23, 2013

Great movie.

This film is rated R but it was created a while back meaning that it is not nearly as bad as the Rs that we see today. This film is to me, very close to being a PG-13. The only thing that makes the rating higher is how there is blood smeared, splattered on walls a few times when people are shot. It might sound bad on paper but really isn't that bad when you see it for yourself. Great movie with a lot of imagination, I would recommend it.
Kid, 11 years old July 29, 2012

15 / R

Contains sci-fi violence and brief language.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMike the LEGO Dude July 2, 2012

The Matrix!

My MPAA Rating: PG-13 for Intense Stylized Sci-Fi Violence and Language
Teen, 13 years old Written bySithLordBeast May 2, 2011

great movie

The Matrix is completely awesome. It is not very difficult to understand and on the edge of R and PG-13. There are some gunfights and fistfights, but there isnt really any gore, only some blood. S--t, g--d-mn, h-ll, and a-- is really the worst it gets. They are not even used a lot. I was surprised when there were NO f-words. Overall, this movie was epicly awesome. It was about as violent as the "Dark Knight", was easier to understand than "Inception", and had less language than "Hancock", all of which were PG-13. So I suggest this movie to 11+.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJasonr July 4, 2010

Best action flick

This is one of the best movies out there. There is a lot of shooting but most of it has no blood. A man is hit with a throwing knife, but it is quick and you don't see a wound. The language is about the language is about a pg-13 level. In fact, this movie would proably be rated pg-13 if it came out today.