All member reviews for The Matrix

Kid, 11 years old October 19, 2010

It's so cool, I can't even come up with a title that's witty and sarcastic enough to keep up with those of my other reviews.

The Matrix is essentially the best movie I have ever watched (besides the unchallenged The Guns of Naverone). The acting is superb, the special effects are amazing, and everything else you could want is a film is there. It's sovereign-ness really comes out in the lobby scene (one of the most cliched scenes of all time, sadly). But, now for the bad stuff... Sex: 1/5. One of Morpheus' teammates, Mouse, talks about a computer simulation which includes an attractive blonde who is meant to be a distraction, and offers to "introduce" her to Neo, stating that "to deny our impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human". Another of Morpheus' teammates, Switch, then calls Mouse "the digital pimp". Later, Mouse is seen in Morpheus' mansion looking at a picture of the woman with lots of X's and "hot woman"'s written all over it. Violence: 4/5. In the beginning, Neo is being interrogated by Smith. When Smith says "What good is a phone call...if you're unable to speak?" in a response to Neo's begs for a phone call. Then, Neo's moth closes up like it's melting and he is forced onto the table. A robotic tracking bug is placed in his belly button, leaving lot's of green goo all over the place. Later, Trinity uses a large, scary-looking device to extract it. Neo's belly button is electrocuted, and in the business end of the gun (which is a clear tube) there appears to be a squirming...something that is surrounded by red material I preferred not to try to identify. Language: 2/5. Mild curses. In the interrogation scene between Neo and Smith, Neo gives Smith the middle finger.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJaws 100 July 18, 2014

Intense action thriller

Great action movie definitely should have been 12, 18 is a bit extreme because there's no sex and the violence isn't gory.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJinxywinxy December 23, 2014

The best science fiction movie ever made.

This film is the ultimate science fiction adventure and keeps you entertained throughout. Some children may be disturbed by the dark and somewhat depressing dystopia in this film, however, others will find it exciting. There is a fair amount of violence in this film which is heavily choreographed and stylised to give an unrealistic 'virtual' effect. It's a great movie to watch on your own or with friends and depending on the individuals , has the potential to be a great film for the family to watch together.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp February 14, 2011

Suggested MPAA Rating: PG-13 for sci-fi violence and some language.
Teen, 16 years old Written byA Dandelion October 24, 2010

Modern masterpiece that might frighten and confuse some tweens

Now a cult film, the Matrix bent minds upon its release in many new and unpleasant ways. This movie is great in how it makes us question what reality truly is and how the future of our industrial world will play out if we aren't careful (think 'The Terminator' taken up a notch, and with more style). Can be a liitle scary and disturbing, though. Be careful with younger kids. If they can take the heat, definitely worth multiple watches.
Kid, 10 years old July 19, 2010

Depends on age and parent or child

This has common language & violence... but it depends on the kid and/or parent if it is appropriate.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjjz514 March 1, 2010

Perfect for anyone liking action, or philsophy.

I am very, very interested in this movie. Ever since I'd seen it I've been interested in philosophy. It has an amazing story, and great storyline. This is overall, the greatest movie I've ever seen. I don't really understand why it was rated r though.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBondJamesBond July 3, 2014

Groundbreaking...

This movie, For it's time, was groundbreaking, and it still hold up today. I honestly think kids ages 12 + would be able to handle this, but the first 1/2 hour is gritty and dark, espeacially a scene where a bug goes inside of neo's belly. but after that, it's pretty appropriate. but the story is pretty complicated and worth miltiple viewings. the characters are pretty flat and 2 dimensional, but the movie is made in such a way, that i still care about what happens to them. the love story is pretty cliche but i guess that's the only gripe of with the movie, so i think kids 13, or maybe so 11, or 12 year olds would be able to handle this film. and critically, i will give it and (8.6/10.)
Kid, 11 years old July 29, 2012

15 / R

Contains sci-fi violence and brief language.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMike the LEGO Dude July 2, 2012

The Matrix!

My MPAA Rating: PG-13 for Intense Stylized Sci-Fi Violence and Language
Teen, 13 years old Written bySithLordBeast May 2, 2011

great movie

The Matrix is completely awesome. It is not very difficult to understand and on the edge of R and PG-13. There are some gunfights and fistfights, but there isnt really any gore, only some blood. S--t, g--d-mn, h-ll, and a-- is really the worst it gets. They are not even used a lot. I was surprised when there were NO f-words. Overall, this movie was epicly awesome. It was about as violent as the "Dark Knight", was easier to understand than "Inception", and had less language than "Hancock", all of which were PG-13. So I suggest this movie to 11+.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJasonr July 4, 2010

Best action flick

This is one of the best movies out there. There is a lot of shooting but most of it has no blood. A man is hit with a throwing knife, but it is quick and you don't see a wound. The language is about the language is about a pg-13 level. In fact, this movie would proably be rated pg-13 if it came out today.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymcguire1454 June 24, 2010

This movies violent very.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLilz the pawz June 13, 2015

GREAT SCI-FI FLICK FOR TEENS AND UP!

Really good movie-its an R but most teens will be able to handle it
Teen, 15 years old Written bygamreviewer April 6, 2015

Good movie defenintely doesnt deserve a R rating.

This is a great movie, but pay no attention to the rating. This movie should've been rated PG-13, and not R. It has no f bombs and not to much violence. It is very fun to watch. Good idea to watch with your kid though. It's language is still pretty rough, but no f bombs. It is very exciting and full of action. Many Tweens would enjoy this movie, and definitely can handle it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew March 14, 2015

Beloved but violent beginning is super intense

My rating:PG-13 for intense action violence and disturbing images
Teen, 14 years old Written by2jayz January 11, 2015

Superb Sci Fi movie!

This movie should've been rated PG-13. There is Sci Fi violence and swearing all at a PG-13 level. It has a great story that makes you stop and think. Superb movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written bySoren54133 January 10, 2015

Great

This has too be one of the best films ever, it has a lot of swearing and violence but hardly any blood.
Kid, 12 years old January 5, 2015

Watched This at 11

Ughh... Seriously, CSM? This was a great movie (added bonus: pop culture references) with very interesting philosophical implications (is life real???). There is very little blood, although there is a lot of violence and the part with the stomach location tracker was gross (surgery).
Teen, 14 years old Written byAsh_From_Pallet December 27, 2014

Amazing

For being 16 years old this is a really amazing movie lots of swearing the main character gave the antagonist the finger. Lots of killing and violence. Very little to no sex in the end they protagonists make out. Incredible effects, amazing plot amazing actors.