All member reviews for The Matrix

Kid, 12 years old January 5, 2015

Watched This at 11

Ughh... Seriously, CSM? This was a great movie (added bonus: pop culture references) with very interesting philosophical implications (is life real???). There is very little blood, although there is a lot of violence and the part with the stomach location tracker was gross (surgery).
Teen, 14 years old Written byAsh_From_Pallet December 27, 2014

Amazing

For being 16 years old this is a really amazing movie lots of swearing the main character gave the antagonist the finger. Lots of killing and violence. Very little to no sex in the end they protagonists make out. Incredible effects, amazing plot amazing actors.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMavrah333 October 25, 2014

Sloooow Moootion!

Wow, a great film. A slow start but soon this sci-fi classic will unleash to you a world of secrecy and danger, where nothing is the same for a moment, and you will be on the edge of your seat for a lot of it. With pretty good effects for the time and awesome slow motion scenes, this is one of my favourite sci-fi films ever (only topped by Transformers 4 and The Matrix Revolutions).
Kid, 12 years old September 22, 2014

its fine for 10 and up

The matrix is a great but violent movie. There is lots of shooting and characters drink beer.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJasonMovie August 24, 2014

Great scifi is to violent for tweens

The Matrix is extremely violent with some gross scenes that even freaked me out a little. There isn't that much swearing and there is only some kissing.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCommon_Sense_Movies August 11, 2014

Unbelievable movie, too violent for younger kids

This movie is one of my favorite movies of all time and everyone should see it at least once in their lifetime. Considered a groundbreaking film in its time due to the complex sci-fi plot development and the amazing special effects (which still look good today), The Matrix is a sci-fi classic that still heavily influences cinema today, and many people make references to it even now. Despite the ratings on positive messages for The Matrix on this website, I think it has much more to offer than just the character dynamics presented in the review of it (although most of the characters are great). Notice also the mythological allusions presented in the names of characters and places in the movie (which are present throughout the trilogy) and their relevance to the story, as well as the foreshadowing (which has several literary allusions in it) presented in the beginning of the movie. The plot is deeply intellectual in content and traces back to George Berkley's philosophy of immaterialism (which I have been studying on my own due to my obsession with this movie), which was formulated as early as the 18th century. The plot and allusions make for good later discussions, as well as the though-provoking, catchy concepts (red pill-blue pill, "follow the white rabbit" as a key allusion, "squiddies", uploading knowledge etc.). The technology appears obviously outdated, but it still makes sense for the plot, as the humans are supposed to be improvising in the technology they use to combat the machines, and it looks old-fashioned in a stylistic way. The actors all portray strong characters that each have some important role in the movie. (I'm currently watching The Matrix for the 8th time, and I've realized that all the characters have at least one memorable line.) This film is not suitable for younger kids, however, because there is consistent violence (the morals are the typical action-movie "kill-the-bad-guy-and-you'll-win"). Though most of the best special effects are presented in the action scenes, these scenes involve a lot of gun use, explosions, and combat. It's too intense for kids under 12, in my opinion. There is also consistent swearing throughout the movie, although most of the swearing is relatively mild. Two details that are not mentioned in the website reviews are a scene where a character "flips off" someone (intended as a joke), and a very mild drug reference in one of the beginning scenes (it's easily overlooked and not at all pertinent to the movie, and it is also intended to be a joke). This is an amazing movie for teenagers and adults alike, and can be enjoyed as an awesome action movie or a complex sci-fi film with many multifaceted aspects to it. I hope you appreciate it as I did.
Kid, 9 years old August 6, 2014

not to bad

only some threats in the movie
Kid, 10 years old June 19, 2014

great but bloody

it is an amazing movie but it has a few gory parts.
Kid, 11 years old May 27, 2014

This Movie is Really Good!

Hello, This is my first review and I have a youtube Channel coming out soon where I review things. Anyway, this movie should be ok 10 and up because I was old enough to watch it and it wasn't bad at all.
Teen, 13 years old Written byVikke April 28, 2014

Good

A great movie! For teens especially, this is a very good movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written byCritic2014 February 23, 2014

Where is my red pill?

This movie was confusing, but after watching it 3 times in total, it made sense (I'm not telling what it is all about though because that is spoiling.) Anyway, this movie has some good lesson learns/role models, but it's deep and kids and even teens might can't pick it up. And the violence is a lot. A bit too detailed...and there was some swearing, some not good for your kids to hear. Parents: Beware! The swearing is worse then just "stupid" or "dumb". But other then that, it's ok. But, you shouldn't watch it unless u are 17+
Kid, 11 years old February 2, 2014

The Matrix

I had a sleepover and I chose this movie. We were four and about one person was twelve and we were eleven. WE ALL LIKED IT. There is a part, though, where Agent Smith makes this metal bug go inside of Neo by his belly botton, and there is some shooting. I'd say you'd need to be a mature 11 year old. They also say sh-t a couple of times.
Kid, 12 years old January 21, 2014

loved it

awesome
Kid, 12 years old January 5, 2014

Its Fine for Most Kids

Violence is pg-13 (a little blood), scene takes place i a bar language including s--t, hell, crap, ass and its variations and goddamn. Also contains Jesus/ Jesus Christ used in vain.
Teen, 15 years old Written byThePlatinumKnight December 31, 2013

Great Movie, shouldnt be R

I'm surprised its rated R, lots of violence but none that's graphic. Frequent language but it doesn't get any worse then the 'S' word. Some intense parts that might be frightening, but easy to handle. Its a great movie and I highly recommend it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytaylorpenny December 28, 2013

Violent, Pretty Profane, And Brilliant

This fantastic film, while very violent, is okay for 13-year-olds. If your kid is a sci-fi fan, expect him/her to beg you to watch this movie. Rest assured, they are begging you for good reason. It is one of the best movies ever made. The Matrix is extremely violent, but there is never too much blood. There is a fair bit of language, like "sh*t" and "hell", but it is nothing a reasonably mature kid couldn't handle.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypeatch22 December 8, 2013

Really good!

Other than a few scary scenes, gun-involved violence, and alien attacks, kids 12 and up should be able to handle this movie. It should be PG-13. It is a really good movie and makes you think about life and the world's advancing technology. I give it two thumbs up!
Teen, 13 years old Written byKai Wu September 25, 2013

good film

Its a good film
Kid, 11 years old September 14, 2013

great movie

this is full of action and violence
Teen, 13 years old Written byYasi September 3, 2013

Incredible!

This is a very imaginative movie. It is a great film for teens! The plot seems to twist and turn, but isn't too hard to handle for most.