All member reviews for The Mist

Fear reigns in so-so Stephen King monster flick.

Teen, 13 years old Written byJ-dog21 April 19, 2009

Cheesy but in a fun way!

the special effects in the movie were cheesy but its a very fun movie for teens to watch with friends
Teen, 14 years old Written bySecretAgentPalin May 27, 2011

A unique, and chilling creature feature.

Although it's quite far-fetched, The Mist is a movie that won't allow you to take your eyes off of the screen. The people in the grocery store fear the beings in the mist, but they're also afraid of who they can trust among the citizens trapped. Teens that don't mind gore and are not grossed out by insects will be able to watch this. 14+ for creature violence and gore, disturbing images and terror, strong language, and some alcohol and cigarette use.
Written byAnonymous August 11, 2013

The Mist is a great movie

4.2/5 8.4/10 The mist is a great movie. Violence is moderate and is mostly bloody. Moderate language uses of f**k and b***h. The acting is very good and the ending is amazingly well thought out, not sucky. The ending stops the film from being typical so watch it I order you.
Kid, 11 years old May 13, 2011

The endings nice. :)

THE ENDING WAS HEARTFELT AND IT GAVE ME A SEIZURE FROM THE CUTENESS ;o GUYHJUHY54ERTFY
Adult Written byImaRealist November 11, 2009

Great for kids 14+ up, make sure to point out the morals

This was a great film, I see that many of the reviews on this say that the ending was terrible, i would have to disagree. In the end a old couple a man and his son and girlfriend are escaping the city in their car only to run out of gas surrounded with monsters. Everyone believes that they are going to be killed slowly from the inside out as a man did earlier in the movie so he uses the four last bullets to kill (with consent) them. After killing his son and girlfriend he leaves the safety of his car to die at the hands of the monsters. Second later military vehicles roll past with soldiers. The moral people of the story that many people have seamed to miss is to never give up, even if only thing that awaits you is death.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBeyondBD October 23, 2009

Dispite what you other people say

You may have noticed how many negative points I gave it, and one positive. Well it’s true. This movie I feel is not so much about fear; it’s more about the horror inside human beings being fueled by fear. The people in this movie do a “Lord of the Flies”, turning from normal everyday people to savage, violent, monsters. The movie starts out after a storm. A father and his son go into town to buy some groceries, when a mysterious mist sweeps through, heavier than in Silent Hill (videogame). The movie was meant to be scary from the excessive gore. At one point, you see half of a severed body, and a person that still alive when insects burst from inside and start to eat him. I don’t think that’s what made the movie scary; I mean sure, being fourteen and seeing this gore wasn’t exactly a walk in the park for me. But what really made me terrified was the way the people acted in this movie and their choices. This yet again points to lord of the flies, take away civilized influence, (but in this case inject in fear in the mixture), and people fall apart, following anyone who promises salvation, no matter how insane they are. The ending also made my mouth drop open. M’ not going to tell you what it was, but it wasn’t “and they lived happily ever after”. I think this movie is worth watching at least once.
Parent Written byPredatorman November 25, 2014

Dumbest Ending Ever

I mean seriously who makes everyone die at the end and then the good guys come? Either way besides for the ending the movie was pretty good the only other thing that caught my eye was the annoying women.
Teen, 14 years old Written byeazy__breezy July 28, 2014

Good for older teens

Stephen King's the Mist is not as much scary as it is gory and violent. Creatures get caught on fire, beaten, chopped, and axed (hit with an axe). A man gets his throat ripped out (not as bad as it sounds, its from a distance), a woman gets stung by a insect-like creature, making her face swell and killing her, a man gets stabbed and thrown outside to his doom, a woman is shot twice, people hang themselves, several other shootings (that I won't give detail because its a spoiler, but their is blood) a man has flesh ripped from his leg and an injured man has baby spiders come out of him. This film has a high level of violence and gore. Language is bad too, with several uses of F--k (once like motherf----r) and c-cksucker is heard once. Other less profane swears are a-s etc. As far as how scary it goes, this film didn't scare me too bad but younger kids will find it scary. The main concept here is people being trapped in a store and turning violent while creatures lurk outside. Not for anybody under 14 for violence and language and definatly not for any little kids or tweens.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRockAndRollKid May 25, 2014

A frightful horror movie with LOTS OF Gore and Strong language.

The mist is a very upsetting dark film that is filled with the following: upsetting scenes,blood,gore,weapons,jump scares,crude moments,flirting,and VERY STRONG LANGUAGE. The film is a bout a local family that survives a storm then after the dad and son decide to go to the store to buy things to repair the damage when all of a sudden a fog comes and brining with it very very creepy and huge monsters that eat people alive,shred them,suck them,or bite or burn them. THERE IS LOTS OF GORE in this horror movie and is just incredible how much gore and blood is in it. There is non stop violence and the language is just as bad. Language is very strong too with many variations of words. Along with all the horror violoence,chills,scares,jump moments,crude moments,and language there is mild flirting and passionate kissing. And a couple are about to have sex but are interrupted. Violence: 5/5: there are many disturbing scenes. People are cut in half,tortured,dislimbed,tied in cocoons,burned,or dead. There is lots of gunfire and swords play (played in the goriest way possible. There is one women in the movie that makes everyone scared of god. Along with that there is jump scenes that will scare the crap out of you. The earthquake right before the mist is a big jump scene and may be dissapointing. The end is very very very sad and unsettling (in graphic ways) I am not spoiling it though. Suicide is committed 3 times. Language: 5/5: there are atleast 20 uses of f*ck with several used with mother. C*ck sucker is used once and same as p*ssy . And sh*t is used 20 times (some may offend) other language include: god,Jesus Christ,oh my god,and damn. And clap is used once by a little boy when he sees the damage of the storm in the beginning of the film. Drinking/drugs 3/5: a lady uses an overdose to commit suicide. Some characters drink beer or wine to calm down. A character is seen using a cigar Sex: 2/5: there is a cleavage shot in the film for a character. A lady and a man kiss passonitally and flirt throughout the first half of the film. A couple is about to have sex but is interrupted. A lady is seen in a bra and panties for a brief minute. There is kissing and hugging. Blood/gore: 5/5: there is LOTS AND LOTS of gore in the film. There are very uncomfortable parts involving blood and gore. Note: even mid aged teens may freak out watching this. It's a great movie with a tragic ending.
Teen, 13 years old Written byA t-Rex April 28, 2014

great movie

so-so? did common sense media even watch this movie, or did they just see it was a horror movie and went from there? the movie was great, but there was lots of blood and violence. for instance, a man gets set on fire and dies of third-degree burns, people are shot (including a young boy), a man gets ripped in half, a man gets stabbed multiple times, monsters kill people in brutal ways, and multiple people hang themselves. but the protagonist is a good role model because he helps people, goes on supply runs, and protects his son at all costs.
Teen, 13 years old Written bystudboy24 July 3, 2013

bloody

It is very graphic blood and disturbing images
Teen, 15 years old Written byWingfrost1998 June 26, 2013

More gore than anything.

I read the book in like a day and was excited about watching the movie, and I was extremely disappointed. The book wasn't scary but I expected since my mom got scared of the movie, I would too. It wasn't scary at all since gore doesn't frighten me, the scariest part is the Pharmacy scene. The book is about a group of people getting engulfed by a strange mist in the grocery store, the mists contains a bunch of monsters, which aren't scary at all and are more funny looking than anything. There is a lot of monster and gory violence and when one character is stabbed and then eaten by a huge bug. The actors in the movie, well Amanda and Billy were casted with great actors but the rest was a little over the top for me, espeically when the character is stabbed and carried out of the store, it seriously almost made me laugh. I think some mature 13 year olds will be able to handle the gore but kids 12 and under might get frightened, watch it first before you let your kids watch it and possibly warn them when a scary part is about to happen.
Parent Written bycharles daniels May 5, 2013

The most underrated horror film or all time

Ok, i understand why most people hate this film, and that's because of the depressing ending scene, but thats no reason to give the film 2 stars, it is well acted, well directed, and its suspenseful. Anyway, so the mist is about a bunch of people who are going on about their everyday lives (in the grocery store) when all of a sudden, a huge mist blows into town and surrounds the store, people soon discover that the mist is filled with bloodthirsty monsters just waiting for their next victim. To summarize it up, some people try to escape, they are killed off screen, the monsters break into the store, all hell breaks loose, a crazy lady with some twisted religion convinces some of the people that they need to sacrifice a guy to the monsters in the mist, some guy shoots the crazy lady (the moment we've all been waiting for) a boy, his son, a woman, and an elderly couple leave the store and run to the car, they drive off, they run out of gas, the guy hears what sounds like a monster, he kills his son, the two elderly people and the woman because he dosent want to watch them die, so he pretty much goes insane after that, he jumps out of the car and yells at the supposed monster hidden in the mist, he says "come and get me!!" hoping that it would kill him, but it turns out that it was a large military tank, followed by military vehicles (the were basically rescue) and the guy just screams and cries. The end. Anyway, as far as parental concern, there is some blood and gore when people are killed by monsters, but its nothing too graphic and a person is stabbed in the stomach and thrown out the store, and the ending scene is very upsetting, there isnt any sex, a couple makes out once but thats it, there is some uses of the word f--k and other moderate language but its infrequently used. so bottom line is, the mist is a great horror film and deserves 4 out of 5 stars, the ending does suck though, and the mist is appropriate for ages 13 and up
Kid, 12 years old August 13, 2012

Goriest sci fi movie since the fly

This movie is definetely worth seeing. This movie is great for people who like scary sci fi movies. On a scale from one to ten, the gore would be nine. In the first gore scene a tentacle grabs a man around the leg. Then the tentacles jab the man with its spikes. ( blood shown) You can also see bones and then he gets dragged away. Then some men exit the store with attached to a rope so they can see if monsters are out there. Suddently the rope pulls speedy fast and the man gets a rope burn. Then the man pulls the rope in and the rope is covered in blood. then the lower body of the man is shown. Later giant bug creatures burst into the store. A woman hits it and squashes it (some blood) A girl gets bitten by a bug. Her face begins to bubble and she dies. Then they go to a pharmacy and people are dead tangled up in webs. then one of the poeple are still alive and he begs for help. Then his eyes go white and his stomach peels open then spiders crawl on his body very gory. Then a mqan shoots a woman in the head some blood. but the ending is very upsetting, especially to fathers
Teen, 13 years old Written byLamalumps09 July 19, 2012

A gory but interesting descent into madness

I read the book and immediately wanted to see the movie, but when I did I was disappointed and satisfied at the same time. I felt the bloody scenes were focused too much on gore and not on the terror of the moment, and sometimes disturbing things,( dragging lower half, spiders birthing from guy) were not in the book but were inserted anyway for the sake of gore itself! Other than those scenes the violence was fairly tame in terms of a monster movie, especially a modern one. Language was frequent but a quarter of it comes from one guy trying to start a chainsaw( weirdo!). The acting was phenomenal and made you feel the fear that the characters were experiencing during monster attacks and religious uprisings. The mrs.carmody character was very interesting and the end to her story is very satisfying and will make you want to cheer. Overall an ok movie, but if your a Stephen king fan this ones for you!
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn January 15, 2012

Not even mutated birds with parrot heads can save this polarizing mess

When it first came out in late 2007, The Mist divided critics and audiences alike as no horror movie has ever done before, or may ever even do again. Some critics thought that it was the influential horror masterpiece that fans had been searching virtually there whole entire lives for. Others thought that it was a almost shockingly bad movie, with laughably bad special effects and some of the most crude acting that you may ever see in a mainstream horror movie (think about that for a minute, will you). Unfortunately, I am part of the latter. I say unfortunately, because I am actually a very big fan of Stephen King, who has given us some of the greatest horror stories, ever. So, who else better to bring this Stephen King novel to the big screen, than Mr. Frank Darabont, the man who directed King's very own The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile? Well, just one problem, both of those were dramas. Now, despite the fact that after this movie, Darabont would finally tie hid shoes and make a really, really great show called the Walking Dead, but, first, he would make this schlock. Know, as I was previously complaining about, what makes this movie so bad is that, on just a thriller level, the movie actually does have some merit. For the first half of the movie, the tension is packed, taut and the characters tension keeps the mood to a good ol' uneasy feeling. But, once the monster appear and start raising hell, we get nothing but some of the very worst special effects that I have ever seen in a mainstream movie, period. Also, adding to the chaos, is some increasingly unsubtle and just plain painfully over-the-top acting by the great actress, Marcia Gay Harden. Also, the ending that so many people claim to be one of the most shocking ever, is actually really funny in a ironic and disturbing movie, so I am pretty much just laughing at the movie, not along with it. So, there is plenty of well-deserved R Rated content, here: There is extremely frequent, extremely gruesome and very, very bloody monster violence and gore, which includes but is not limited to images of mutilation, facial explosion (Yup. You read that right), dismemberment and more. Also, there is some moderate profanity as well, including f--k, sh-t, cr-p, fr-gg-ng, h--l and more. So, if you are one of the many horror fans who had been suckered into watching this piece of sh*t, by other people who claim this to be a influential masterpiece, than spread the word, and tell everybody who hasn't seen it yet, or who wan'ts to see it, what it really is. P.S., sorry to be so negative, but it's just my opinion.
Teen, 16 years old Written byrudy1212 December 22, 2011

the mist review

this movie contains strong violence, language, terror, gore and disturbing images of the creatures that may scare some. i love this film. probaly one of the best horror films and stephan king adaptions ever. thomas jane is great in this film. he is brave, heroic, and emotional. i am surprised he did not get a oscar. the special effects are great, the monsters are nicely done and are not fake looking. the ending is very upsetting and shocking but thats horror. overall 4 out of 4 stars. i love this film.
Parent Written byS0CKM0NKEY September 30, 2011

Not a Good Movie

This really didn't scary a bit. It was really offensive that they made fun of my religion. And the ending was really stupid. Acting wasn't that great.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybslrpl July 1, 2011

Pretty bloody, mildy entertaining monster movie

This movie was pretty violent, and bloody. Couple of disturbing scenes with some creepy imagery. Language includes f**k, p***y, a**, h**l, c**k, and d**n. Overall it was all right, but there is many better monster movies out there to watch. I would recommend Cloverfield, which has less violence/blood and language.
Kid, 10 years old June 30, 2011

awsome

a very good movi but not for kids lots of gore not good for anyone with a fear of spiders and lots of swearing