All member reviews for The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones

Teen, 13 years old Written bycaitlinm_18 August 21, 2013

Really Great!!!

It was a great movie but like all other movies based on books... its nothing like the novel. I enjoyed the movie because of the small parts of a love triangle and the actors & actresses who have roles. I have also read The Mortal Instruments series many times & really liked them. But I wish that the director would have put different parts from the book into the movie.
Kid, 11 years old August 24, 2013

Awesome Action Packed Movie!

Great movie! Was good, but the book was better. There was some sexual content, but less than what was in the book. There is a gay character who hides his feelings from another character. A man wears a revealing outfit, and there is a slight make out scene, but nothing worse then that. Also, a boy and a girl say "invited him to bed", but whatever. Lots of action scenes, but not lots of blood. one of the scariest scenes includes a dog like creature whose skin is turned inside out, showing viewers a disgusting, slimy, bloody, monster. This movie was great, I recommend it for anyone who liked Harry Potter, The Twilight Saga, and Beautiful Creatures.
Kid, 12 years old August 25, 2013

Great movie, not as good as the book

Great movie, but not as good as the book. Casting was excellent. A lot of violence, but not many scary images. Few curse words, fast-paced, thrilling Positive messages include bravery and family and relationships. Clary, Jace, the other shadowhunters, and Simon are positive role models, and are courageous in the face of danger. The movie cut a few scenes from the book, but kept the important parts. Book was better, but the movie is a must-see for any fan of the Mortal Instruments. Can't wait for sequel, City of Ashes, to come to movie. (In process)
Teen, 14 years old Written byDistrict_dauntless August 22, 2013

Really good but different from the book

I am a huge fan of the mortal instruments and have been counting down the days till the movie comes out, and of course I watched it as soon as it came out. With me having big expectations towards the film, it affected my opinion. i thought it would be like the book, but instead it included parts that should not be revealed until later on in the series and it cut many scenes from the book that I think are extremely important Despite the cutting of scenes and revealing mistakes I thought the film was very enjoyable and still included the best scenes of clary and jace's romance and the sarcastic conflict between Simon and jace. The movie had very funny jokes mainly from jace and Simon and an amazing greenhouse scene with clary and jace. I also think the end battle was really good and intense. Not as much romance and language as I had expected which makes it ok for younger kids to watch however the violence and gore is pretty intense. Overall it was a great film and I can't wait for the sequel CITY OF ASHES!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bystargirl132 September 14, 2013

surprisingly good.

I can't believe this got such bad reviews. It was actually a pretty good adaption, and I think fans will be pleased with this movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywhimsicalreviewer August 24, 2013

Slightly contrived--but entertaining, wholesome, and delightful for fans of the books!

As a tremendous fan of the book series and an avid follower of Rotten Tomatoes, I went into this movie with extremely low expectations. As all good movie-goers know, a film can never encompass the detail, emotions, or even, the plot, of its source material (i.e. the Percy Jackson film series).Therefore, I literally sat in the theater, forcing myself to scrutinize every cinematic and plot-oriented to find some fault in it. After two hours I can safely say, I was not as disappointed as I was led to expect. The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones manages to not only include 90% of the events from the story, but also incorporate the nuances which made the film all the more enjoyable. The actors worked fine with the material they were given. Jamie Campbell Bower is impeccable as Jace, playing the perfect narcissistic, protective, tortured hero. His lines were delivered with Jace's trademark wit, and his mannerisms were as intense and delicate as they were described in the book. Robert Sheehan was the passionate, insecure, bookish, comical, caring Simon Lewis that many readers know and love. While Lily Collins wasn't fantastic in her role (partly due to her overusage of heavy breathing to depict a traumatic situation) she still managed to express the spunk and occasional moments of intelligence and quick-thinking exhibited by Clary Fray (particularly in a scene where she was faced with a demon). The dialogue was crisp and humorous; it sometimes dipped in the cheesy slop that is recycled in many sentimental films, but moments when this occurs are easily forgiven against the other elements in the film. Such elements include the remarkable special effects, which painted demons and Downworlders and Shadowhunter realms in such clarity, it is easy to believe they actually exist, and difficult not to grimace when you see them in their various grotesque forms. In all honesty, the film's main flaw rests in its sequencing. For viewers that aren't acquainted with the books, they will most certainly be puzzled by the constant stream of events which occur quickly and with little to no explanation. The history and role of the Shadowhunters is explained concisely, but fleetingly, which may cause their purpose to become forgettable. Even knowing the books extremely well, I was confused during certain scenes in regards to how characters got into a certain situation, how one event lead to another, etc. Several aspects of the film were done heavy-handedly concerning the scene transitioning (some of which was overly-dramatic and sometimes laughable), the battle scenes (which, as awesome and BA as they were, were overlong and tiresome), and the interactions between characters (which usually had a similar theme, but were choppy because the camera went between one pair of characters' situation to the other's, and created a uneven parallel between them). Overall, the Mortal Instruments is an engaging, adventurous, and funny film, which will delight many die-hard fangirls for its plot accuracy and character relationships. However, if you have not previously read the book, I would NOT suggest going to see it, because many things will be unexplained, rushed, and confusing, and you will easily become one of the film's harshest critics (much like the critics collaborating with Rotten Tomatoes). The sexual content is relatively low in comparison to the books; there is only one kiss between the characters, and its not as passionate/intense as it could be. However, the violence and horror elements can get pretty gruesome and cringe-worthy. All in all, this film is definitely spot on for fans of the books who are 12 and over.
Teen, 17 years old Written byburfymurf177 August 22, 2013

Amazingly Fun!

This was an amazing movie for family that has kids that are 10 and up. It was beautifully done and had a very tiny bit of romance that was perfect for my daughter. You go watch this right now with your 10 and up kids!
Teen, 14 years old Written by17pearl17 March 26, 2015

A good interpretation of the book

I'm not exactly sure why common sense media gave it such a bad review. This movie is not meant to touch you, make you see the world in a whole new light, or win an oscar. This movie is just supposed to show what happened in the book. I always get frustrated when movies are different than the book. Although the movie cut some scenes out and changed the order in some places I think it did a pretty good job telling such a complex story. However, the movie was lacking essential character development. This movie will satisfy fans of the book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew March 25, 2015

Dumb teen fantasy doesn't live up to the book

Kid, 12 years old December 2, 2014

City of bones

I liked it. I have read all of the book in the The Mortal Instrument series. First things first, Best .Magnus .Bane. Ever. Just as I imagined him. Okay Fangirl moment out of the way. Not to sexy, just a kiss, minor flirting between Alec and Magnus. Alec is gay and struggling since he fancies himself in love with Jace. Violence, well it's called The City Of Bones not My little pony. So yes it is violent. Swearing, What the hell, Dam. Not much. So in other words, I really like it and I would recommend it. -Shadowhunter
Kid, 12 years old August 16, 2014

Worse that I expected

I saw this movie before I read the book series and I thought it was fine to see the movie first. The first time I saw the movie I felt like falling asleep half of the movie. The main actor and actress were not fit for their roles. I read the book series and was blown away. After I decided to watch the movie again this time with my 12 year old sister and 8 year old brother. I knew that it was rated PG-13 and he was 8 but the first PG-13 movie he watched he watched he was 6. After watching the movie a second time I was even more disappointed. I think that the movie had so limited violence that it could have been rated PG even if it was meant to be a movie for teenagers. There are only a few intense moments and two of the scenes take place in a club otherwise the movie is totally kid friendly. I think that the only reason to watch this movie is if you have read the books and want to see how other people imagine the characters. If that is not why you want to see the movie, do not even bother.
Kid, 11 years old July 9, 2014

Not as Good as The Book...

The acting and the actors are amazing! Jamie and lily betray clary and jace perfectly! this movie is horrible compared to the book! they have changed what happens in the book! little bit of violence but it would not be considered a 'violent' movie! it would be fine for your child but if you are like "should I read the book before watching the movie?" the answer is YES!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bymckenzie_11 July 7, 2014

Are we sure the movie was based off the book?

I'm sorry but the movie was horrible.. I watched the movie before I read the books. I thought the movie was just OK without reading the books. But then I started reading them and I realized how terrible the movie really was. Sure it has the same name as the book, same character names, and even some semi-similar events but they left out more than half the book! And on top of it, half the events in the movie didn't happen in the book! The movie was somewhat entertaining before but it has no substance! It's 90% special effects and they weren't even all that good. It's like they took the general idea of the book and turned it into a movie.. It was extremely disappointing and hopefully the sequel goes A LOT better.
Kid, 12 years old June 26, 2014

Very violent

The violence and the Pandemonium scene are the only reasons I would say 14+
Teen, 13 years old Written byFalse June 1, 2014

Spoilers

if you want to read a good book read city of bones if you want to watch a good movie or a movie accurate to the book run away. as a longtimeish fan of the series (may have woken a little early for heavenly fire) its like the percy jackson movies compared to the books an ok movie but doesnt live up to what you want.
Kid, 12 years old April 25, 2014

Violent

Very violent, but not brutal. Has some iffy suggestive stuff. Also contains language. and kissing and a club with drinking.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCrystallized April 19, 2014

LEARNING

VERY disappointing.

As a fan of the books, I was let down.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytruetomovies April 12, 2014

LEARNING

a five star film

this is probably in my top 10 films. it has romance and action in it, its mostly a supernatural thriller and the whole story idea is amazing. even though I read the book first it was still a good film to watch.
Kid, 9 years old March 23, 2014

Not good

It wasn't very good mainly it didn't really explain well.I think the book may be better
Teen, 13 years old Written byMarty.Pink.Lady March 16, 2014