All member reviews for The Mummy

A cut above most action films. Not for children.

Kid, 10 years old June 6, 2011

Disturbing

In my opinion, this is a good movie, except it is very disturbing. My two friends, Frosty and Guad, loved it, and didn't think it was disturbing but In my opinion, it was VERY disturbing with the beatles. The beatles are Very Disturbing (not the band) and the mummy may freak some kids out. Well, I thought the beatles were super disturbing and gross and my 7 friends thought it was disturbing, too, and ran out of the room.
Kid, 10 years old September 14, 2010

cool

awesome movie really cool scenes one of the first movies ive ever seen
Kid, 12 years old April 18, 2010

A pretty violent film. The mummy itself is really creepy looking.
Teen, 14 years old Written byT-Rod November 28, 2010

My first PG-13 movie I EVER saw! But I saw the Matrix b4 this

Well, we had just moved into a new house and I was helping( an by helping I of course mean watching) my mom unpack the VHS tapes, when I saw THIS movie. I picked it up and asked if I could see it. "What is it?" I show her the movie-"No." After about a year and a half an finally watching it on TV at my step dads(all of three minutes), I told her she should let me see it since I'd already seen it(Negative Role Models). She let out an aggricated and grieving sigh as she let me watch it that night...and I was HOOKED! I LOVED it! It was my Dave movie EVER (I had not seen Gremlins, I had previously stopped The Matrix 15 minutes in of boredom, and had not seen that many good movies other than...well, I'd seen good KIDS movies anyway, also I was about 6,7,8 at the time)it was awesome! I hate how everybody, mostly critics, hated this movie! It was a remake/retelling pf the classic mummy movies! Borrowing the Immhotep storyline from the black and white Boris Karloff Universal one and the organ stealing/taking back thing from...some other movie that I forget. But it's not horror! Yes, it has horror elements, but it's TOTALLY an Indiana Jones style action/adventure movie! And-It-RULES! vIOLENT vEIL: A lot. Even though this is not a horror movie(it is NOT!!!!!!!), it does get pretty horrific as far as comic book style action/adventure films go. Including fist fights a plenty, a guy getting burned in the eye(nothing explicit is shown and he wears an eye-patch the rest of the film), a lot of gun fire usually ends in a total waste of bullets, a mummy sucks the "juice" out of people(we never actually WITNISS this other than in shadow form, but we ALWAYS see the aftermath, a man's eyes are taken(we see aftermath), Rick gets beat up pretty bad in the end, not much blood in the movie at all, an estimated total of 3-5 good(-ish) guys die. But the mummies are the BAD part. When they first uncover Immohtep, he is dead as dead and juicy as a fresh orange, we also see mummies decapitated, impaled, cut in half, and the mummies just get ALL messed up! But no blood for the mummies;nYEH nONSENSE(oR sEXUAL sTUFF): Rick forces a kiss from Eevee in the beginning, they shar MAYBE 2 kisses in the movie afterwards; oBSCENITIES aND oBSCENE pROFANITIES: A few uses of h*ll and a couple of d*mn if memory serves; dRUG dANGERS: I wouldn't say there's a LOT of drinking, but it's certainly not SHIED upon; nEGATIVE rOLE mODELS: Some chracters betray and double-cross, but it's looked at as negative...BUT...pOSITIVE pIECES: Evee is a very prideful woman and whenever sex is brought up she let's people know that. Rick is, at first, the reluctant hero, but our gang ventures on, he starts to grow more of a bond toward Evee and her brother Johnathan and often risks his life for both. But he's not QUITE the role model for your kids, either. He is actually, quite selfless and after somebody has betrayed them, tried to kill them, or left them for dead, he even tries to save them. In the end, Immohtep is just a mummified romeo. He was in love w the Pharoeh's daughter, but was mummified for touching her(NOT IN THAT WAY!!!). And all he's really trying to do is bring her back so that they canbe together forever...and rule the world. But we can just overlook that minor detail can't we? So, All-In-All: This movie holds a special place in my heart bc it was my first PG-13 movie, and it was such an awesome ACTION-NOT HORROR, BUT ACTION!!!!-movie. I love it 8.4/10. But, I would suggest it for kids over 10. Because, even though the violence is very comic book style and at times cartoony, there is so much of it. So, I'm T-Rod. Check out my other reviews, and don't forget to compliment! Later! = )
Teen, 15 years old Written byIlovecats24 August 7, 2011

Scary

Very scary and violant. Great plot though.
Adult Written bymoviemadness June 5, 2011

So-so action flick -watch out for the racism

The Mummy is pretty squarely a shoddy action flick in my book. Fun, light, cool fight scenes, and etc. for teens and adults. Definitely not for kids -the violence in this movie is scary. People are buried alive, eaten alive by bugs, crushed, sacrificed, and stabbed. Perhaps the most disturbing feature of the film is that the white characters are portrayed as noble, brave, righteous, loyal, and intelligent while all of the Egyptian characters are either evil, or dumb, greedy, and opportunistic. On the plus side, Evie is bright, resourceful, full of spunk, and an excellent leader.
Kid, 10 years old January 3, 2011

Great but very Vilent

A scary film! But the story always keeps going!
Kid, 11 years old February 20, 2010

I love this movie. lots of action. but has some creepy parts.
Kid, 10 years old December 29, 2009

creepy alright for everyone.

love it really good.
Teen, 15 years old Written byViolinPlaya650 April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Person Guy May 19, 2011

Near-perfect. A very fun adventure movie with lots of funny dialogue. Violence includes shooting, swords, and fist fighting. The mummy looks sort of gross in each of its stages, and it goes around sucking the life out of others (the bony corpses are then seen) A mans eyes are taken out (not shown, but you see his bruised, sunken eyelids) Beetles crawl inside and eat a couple people. A man's tongue is cut out, but the camera goes to another shot just before it happens. Scary mummies chase people. For language, bast**d, b**ch, d**n, hell, @$$, and oh my God are used multiple times. In an early scene, an egyptian woman is only wearing a net that reveals alot of her body. Overall a very good movie that you should see!
Adult Written byJuggernaut93 May 4, 2011

Good scary movie.

Ah the Mummy. This takes me back. This is a truly great film, but probably not A very kid-friendly one. Whether or not this movie is good for kids depends widely on the views of the parent, and what they don't want their kids to see. So without further ado: Violence: standard PG-13 stuff, although a few notable intense scenes. One of the various monsters on this movie are carrion beetles about the size of a cell phone, that burrow into the skin of victims. In most cases this results in death. Another thing is the Mummy himself. When he first appears, he is grotesque and rotting, almost skeletal. Not your stereotypical toilet-paper mummy. He has been accidentally raised from the dead by one of the protagonists, and seeks to return to his human form. To do this, he must remove the body parts of other men, eyes, tongue, ears, etc. Of course, no such scenes are shown, but the undead fellow shows up later, looking more and more like a complete human. In one case, the corpse of one of these victims is shown. He looks much like the mummy did at the beginning, withered and rotting. Aside from the main Mummy villain, there are many other that serve as his minions. These more resemble traditional mummies, and are wrapped in rotting cloth or in some cases armor. Cursing is standard PG-13 stuff. As for sexual content, there is one VERY scantily clad woman near the beginning, who is the wife of the pharaoh. Thats about it. This movie is certainly entertaining, and I would recommend it for 13 and up, but even then parents may need to fast-forward some of the scenes involving the beetles, as they are quite gross.
Kid, 11 years old January 19, 2011

ok for 9+

This is a very good movie
Kid, 11 years old August 22, 2010

Boon's rating

That lady in the first scene was wearing a fishing net, so you could basically see the unneeded parts. the second is the beetles, they wrap a guy up put him in a coffin, and then pour flesh eating beetles in it? i don't think this film should be rated R, but common sense media should not give it a 12 and up rating, it shoul;d be 13 and up instead. then later, a beetle crawls under a guys skin (you can see a big lump) and brendan frasier has to knife it out then shoot it. then the last seen shows the bad guy locked inm a room swarmind with beetles, the screen goes black, but you can hear screaming and flesh tearing. the second film wasn't as good. but doesn't have as many nasty violent bug scenes like this one
Kid, 11 years old April 5, 2010

Awesome Movie, But Gross.

Wow, I simply REALLY like this movie. I like the plot and the adventure keeps you on the edge of your seat. It is actually a bit funny in parts. However, when it was on TV, I decided to look at the description of it, and it was classified as horror. I think it's far from horror, but still unnerving. It always creeps me out when, in the beginning, they mummify Imhotep's followers alive. And in one scene when the diggers get melted, I sort of want to close my eyes. We watched this movie at a sleepover, (and it was my eleventh) and all the kids there were my age. We were all okay with this movie, but my mom had to tell us to be quiet, because there were too many "EEEEWWWW!"s coming from where we were.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybibliophile April 9, 2008

AAAAAAAHHH!!!

I LOVED THIS MOVIE! There is some swearing, a bit of violence, though nothing very explicit, and the princess comes out in the beginning of the movie basically wearing a net and we see her bare backside a few times as well. Basically, you really need to know your kid (if that is who is watching it : )
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Um...its not evil

I don't really know what the other person is saying, there's nothing evil about the Mummy. Anyways, its a moderately thrilling fantasy horror/adventure. It's pretty cheesy and isn't very scary, but was a fun movie to watch for some cheap thrills. Good for a rental. Good for kids: 11+
Teen, 15 years old Written byRockAndRollKid July 29, 2013

Part: horror movie/action movie/adventure movie.

This movie is kinda like Indiana jones but for older teens. It was a very disturbing movie and was very scary and filled with heart pounding jumps unexpectedly. The movie is about two people and they are brothers and sisters and they find a key that unlocks a tomb where the dead is. They find a criminal who is going to be hanged (main character) so they free him and they do a bet with a group that they will find the tomb first. Not only the guys they betted is after it but the Americans are after it too (this movie takes place in Egypt). They find the tomb and accidentally open it. They fight lots of zombies through the way and several people loose their faces, burn their bodies, being Eaten alive, and being chocked. There were two bad parts that even scared me out besides the jumps. In the beggining. Of the movie they explain what is happening and you see the kind of Egypt (who is the mummy later on) being tortured and putting him in a tomb Live with all these man eating bugs. The second part was the man eating bugs. What they do is they go into your skin eating your guts slowly (two people die from the bugs). There isn't really a lot of language but they say mild swears like: dam- or suc-s. There's several explosions and bar gun fights. I think this movie is very violent and too scary (the movie is not light horror but its not real horror it's in the middle). That's why it should be 11 and up.
Kid, 11 years old February 2, 2011

The Mummy is awesome, but there were a few things that kind of disturbed me. One of them was the lady in the beginning. All she was wearing was a fishing net that had gold which covered up her... um... well you know the things on the tips of her chest... But I think that the naked ladies on Coraline were worse than this. Another thing was all of the suspence. A little much for me. And if you don't quite understand why people are saying that The Mummy is so violent, think of it this way: It's all about some dead guy spitting 10 plagues onto humanity and trying to kill a select group of people. He also rips out a guy's eye balls (They don't show him do it. They just show him with empty eye sockets.)! So, I would say that the Mummy is one of the best movies ever made. But parents should watch out!
Kid, 10 years old January 16, 2011

Fantastic adventure movie with lots of shooting and mummies of course

Highly entertaining shoot em up adventure movie. A wonderful example of how to make a film more than worthy of a purchase.