All member reviews for The Muppet Movie

First Muppet movie is full of wonderful songs, plus guns.

Adult Written bySarah Grace August 17, 2010

Fun movie

This is a fun movie to watch, although it portrays Hollywood as being a decent place. There are a few references to Hare Krishna, which are either there for historical hippie-era purposes or they're subliminal messages.(?)
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byCourtneydes March 29, 2011

Not so great for little guys afterall

I chose this movie for a movie night with my almost 5 and 7 year old girls because I remembered it being a sweet movie and the girls already knew the songs. While the basic plot is fine, after the opening scene of Kermit singing he winds up in a saloon (where he meets Fozzie) but in the saloon there are gun shots and shouts and general roughness to the point that my kids asked to turn it off. They also did not understand the frogs legs restaurant even after I explained it to them they asked "so why would anyone want Kermit's legs?" As an adult or older kid who has seen more movies it is fine, but if your set is easily scared and used to the Barbie movies, Mary Poppins, Madagascar, this was quite a jump with the realistic scenes. I think we will wait a few more years.
Adult Written byMomInMaine April 23, 2011

Not good for age 5.

I love this movie, but unfortunately I think the violence makes it appropriate for children older than just 5. The idea that people are eating frog legs can be scary (let alone disturbing) for Kermit-lovers. My daughter asked "are they going to cut his legs off". Also, the sharp-shooter that is hired to kill Kermit and the scene with 8-10 men with guns aimed at him were pretty violent, I thought. On another note, the whole "movie about a movie" plot is a little complex for this young age group too.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byloislois October 22, 2009

Great, but be warned about gun use

Love it, but I would've appreciated a warning about the use of guns. The gang of frog-hunters point their shotguns at Kermit and shoot a frog-cutout as target practice. Also, the "frog killer" character quite violently demonstrates his skill by throwing a sharpened fork at an image of a frog. This film was made before the current sensitivity about gun violence was a big issue, I guess.
Teen, 16 years old Written byEllen15 April 9, 2008

hilarious, a great family movie

In The Muppet Movie, Kermit the Frog sets off for Hollywood to become a star and make millions of people happy. Along the way he runs into Fozzie the Bear, The Great Gonzo and his chicken, Miss Piggy, Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, and lots of celebrities that parents will recognize. This is a great family movie complete with loveable characters, great music, and an interesting plot. Sure to be a hit with all ages!
Kid, 12 years old March 5, 2010

A Great Classic

This is a great classic. the beggining parts always make me me cry . this is cool! i recommeded it
Educator Written bycaffinegirl85 January 27, 2012

Great!!!!

the muppet movie is so adoreable so cute so funny. this movie totally brings back memories for a 26 year old aldut like myself. i sometimes pop the dvd just for kicks cause its a nice clean ut family flim for the whole family! and i just love the part where Fozzie and Kermit are singing in the car the song moving right alng. thats so adoreable. this is a great movieand your v children should be free to watch it!
Adult Written bypaulywogy June 26, 2010
Parent Written byscifi2001 April 12, 2014

Meta-fun....

What a fantastical treat....a movie within a "movie" plot will amuse children of all ages. And as the late great Roger Ebert indicated, the Muppets are us: "They are vain and hopeful, selfish and generous, complicated and true. They mirror ourselves, except that they're a little nicer." http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-muppet-movie-1979 And what a soundtrack. My only complaint is that the funky musical qualities of the Electric Mayhem wasn't featured more prominently.(Thankfully, MUPPETS IN SPACE merged that space-time continuum....Muppets are born to be funky!)
Teen, 14 years old Written byJemmy March 10, 2009

I cry at the Rainbow Connection song!

This is the most sweetest and clever Muppet movie. I always cry at The Rainbow Connection song. Kermit is so sweet!
Teen, 13 years old Written byZackDaMan June 27, 2015

I think it's undoubtedly entertaining, not as funny as it's sequels

While the Muppets's first feature film is loaded with celebrities, songs, and amazing effects for it's time, it is not much of a laugh-out-loud type of film. The movie is packed wit action and parts that will defiantly never bore you, but it feels like the jokes aren't well thought out and are being too forced rather then having subtle sight gags and quick one-liners like in Great Muppet Caper. Also there are a few too many songs that are too long and too frequent. ----- Messages and Role Models: Lots of messages of "following your dreams". Kermit is a great role model. He is never voilent or immature like some of the other Muppets. Kermit is always thinking positive about everything. ----- Violence: Guns being shot, slapstick violence, an electrocution machine, a Muppet at one point sacrifices his life. ----- Sex: Some romance between characters. Hugging and kissing. ----- Language: Mild insults. No actual swearing. ----- Consumerism: Some product placement. ----- Drinking, Drugs, and Smoking: Humans are seen smoking. Kermit and Piggy drink. A character mentions drinking beer every night. A scene in a bar has many drinking refrences. ----- Overall, a great film. Not the funniest Muppet movie ever but worth watching.
Educator and Parent of a 2, 5, and 7 year old Written byjenb2 March 13, 2015

Just as fun as I remembered

Just introduced this movie to my kids because I loved it as a child. They loved it. A Classic!
Kid, 11 years old April 27, 2013

One of the best movies ever!!!!

Even though the muppet movie is over 3 decades old it is a must-see for ANYBODY AT ALL. The movie is full of wonderful songs (fav. moving right along and i hope that something better comes along) and a well-written plot.It's a shame there can't be family films like this these days. I suggest you run to your local walmart or target and buy the DVD or Blu-ray right now, If you're under a false assumption and worried it'll be childish then you're dead wrong. There are bar fights, assassins, drinking, and enough jokes dirty and clean to entertain everybody!
Kid, 12 years old December 6, 2011

family movie night!

It is a good movie to watch as a family.
Kid, 10 years old June 14, 2011