Muppet comedy offers memorable laughs, musical numbers.

Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byMamaWu August 13, 2012

Overall, a great family movie which we plan to see again!

After reading all of the reviews, I was hesitant to let my 3 year old watch it with his 5 yo sibling. I decided to give it a try, prepared to fast forward through parts if necessary. I could have done without the first Jack Black scene, which ended in people (not puppets) punching each other. Other than that, my kids were not scared of the villains and we all enjoyed the music throughout the movie. There is a word here and there that we aren't allowed to use ("idiot", maybe) but I have found even 'G' rated movies have those, unfortunately (i.e. Toy Story). Overall, a cute, feel-good movie
Parent Written bymkap April 8, 2012

Don't Fear the Muppets

I love this movie, and so do my kids (ages almost 2 and 3 and a half). I want to address the minority of commenters who managed to find objectionable content in this beautiful movie. There are three or four punches thrown over the course of the movie, none of them graphic or disturbing. The villains are not scary - they're muppets, after all. A few people mentioned a scene where Walter (a muppet) tries to go over a fence that turns out to be electrified- this scene lasts about 4 seconds and is not disturbing, resulting only in some shaking, bad hair, a dirty face, and a somewhat dazed muppet who sits up immediately and is obviously not hurt. Unless you have scared your kid in advance by explaining the real effects of a real electrified fence (something I do not advise unless you live on a farm or a high security top secret laboratory), this is not a scary scene. Most mystifying to me is the commenter who objects to a song "Forget Me", asking "Do you want your kids humming that song?" My first thought was "Huh?" because I didn't recognize the song, even after seeing the movie multiple times. The song in question is sung by a group of muppet chickens, and here are the lyrics: "Buck buck buck buck buck buck, bucka buck buck buck (i.e., they sing it in chicken-ese). I don't know what the real lyrics are, but they are not in the movie, at all. In the plus column, the movie has catchy, witty songs, hilarious 80's nostalgia for the grownups, and good messages about friendship, loyalty, believing in yourself, and yes, electrified fences.
Parent Written byConscience Mama November 26, 2011

A Little More Info

I agree with the CS review, but would also add a couple things I would have liked to clue my children into beforehand. There is a "what the heck", Fozzie the Bear has some "farting" shoes which he references periodically through the film, and there is one scene when the Muppets are trying to sell their show to a TV exec and she shows them an example of the shows that are popular now - the example is called "Punch Teacher" and in the brief scene there is a teacher getting punched in a guillotine-style contraption. It was slightly alarming. Otherwise, I was able to tell my boys about the use of the words "butt" and "idiot" ahead of time along with the fight scene at the anger management retreat, which prepared us for a sweet family outing.
Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written byJenC November 23, 2011

Awesome for kids and parents!

We won tickets to the premiere, and I took both our kids (7 and 3) without checking the rating. I'm glad I didn't check, because it would have made me worried about taking my little guy, and I honestly don't think there was anything in the movie that warranted a PG rating. I assume it's due to the mild violence, but really, it didn't worry me at all while watching. The kids enjoyed it a lot, but I think my husband and I loved it even more! A really happy, feel good movie for the whole family!
Parent Written bymbmartin874 February 15, 2015

Decent, but not as good as the original show

First, let me say that if I could give this film 3 1/2 stars, instead of 4, I would. Pros: *There is nothing objectionable in this film. No characters calling each other "stupid" or violence or overly scary villains. This is rare for kids films these days and I wish more film studios would tailor movies appropriately to a young audience this way. *There's copious amounts of singing and dancing - another plus for kids. *It's largely a happy and cheerful movie, which is refreshing. Cons: *The songs are actually pretty unmemorable. Again, there is nothing objectionable about the music; it just can't hold a candle to any of the songs from the original show. the choice to feature songs from the early 80s - the Muppet's heyday - wears thin quickly too. *The script could be tighter and better paced. Compared with a sharp, first-rate film like The Lego Movie, this story and the direction come across as a little amateurish and kind of lackluster. *The main female character is so underdeveloped, a mannequin could have played her. I'm glad Amy Adams received a paycheck for this film, but her talent is wasted here. *The film is very much a loving homage to the original Muppet studio, but in going back to these roots it just makes me want to watch the original episodes instead. The original Muppet Show was so much more superior to this film. Our family has watched this movie once, will probably never view it again, and will now turn our attentions to the original show.
Parent Written byDan G. April 23, 2012

Not as innocent as the original Muppet movies!

The reviewer of 'The Muppets' (Sandie Angulo Chen) missed some objectionable material that makes the most recent Muppet Movie more objectionable that the ones that were created by Jim Henson. 1. The two main human characters, a man and a woman, unmarried (and unengaged) take a vacation together and it is clearly shown that they are staying in the same motel room. Only one bed is shown, and in one scene, they are sitting on it together. This seems to teach children that it is OK for unmarried couples to take vacations and sleep together. 2. One song used for the movie is a current song by Cee Lo Green, called 'F**k You'. I am NOT kidding. The lyrics are not sung in the movie, as the chickens are only capable of 'bocking' instead of singing, but the inclusion of such a disgusting song is unforgivable. It is clear that things have changed at Muppet Movie Labs since Disney became involved, and it is not good.
Kid, 11 years old January 14, 2014

RATED PG FOR HUOMOR

I KNOW THIS MOVIE IS FUN BUT I NEED TO TELL YOU..................... THIS MOVIE IS FINE FOR 4+
Teen, 13 years old Written bybelieberforever94 May 20, 2012

Horrible.

Horrible. Horrible. HORRIBLE! The movie was not funny and it was just boring. Not even my 5yr old brother enjoyed it! The only good thing about the movie was the "Muppet or a Man" song.
Parent Written bykickstand March 28, 2012

Fun for the whole family

If there is a better movie for kids out there, I have not seen it.
Parent Written bySEA_BoyGirlTwins_Dad December 3, 2011

Common sense media - you are losing me. These Muppets aren't for 5 year olds.

Why is it that movies lay claim to a "positive message" by having a happy ending, but dragging a child through a constant fear of failure during the entire movie. This movie fails over and over again to entertain the way we remember the Muppets entertaining us as children on TV. Rather, lovable characters are inserted into a heavy plot to bait us into believing that good times are just around the corner. This movie is an absurd re-introduction of the Muppets to small children. I recommend it for 8 years old and up that are more primed for suspenseful stories, and adults that want to see their childhood favorites recast in a punched up contemporary, big screen story filled with star studded cameo appearances that simply are missed on kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMiniJacob December 15, 2016

This movie made me love the muppets

I was 12 when I watched this, and I became a fan of the muppets since! This movie is funny and very good!
Parent of a 4 year old Written byYogaMommy January 21, 2013

Best for older kids, younger kids need parental guidance

This was the first in-theater movie I took my 3 year old daughter to. She enjoyed it, and most of the off-color humor went over her head. However there were a few parts that she found scary or confusing, and that I had trouble explaining. The villains, while quite silly to adults, could still seem mean and threatening to a small child. There is a scene where the example of bad TV is called "Punch Teacher" - a brief but shocking moment of violence. The movie also contains some frenetic, chaotic scenes which were a little overstimulating for my sensory-oriented child. We sat in the back of the theater so it wouldn't be so overwhelming. Overall I felt ok about her watching it with my supervision and guidance, and I really enjoyed it myself.
Kid, 8 years old December 10, 2011

Beware the Chicken Dance Number

The Chickens do a number to Cee Lo Green's song "*$% You." Not a song I want my kids clucking.
Kid, 10 years old November 23, 2011

I went to the premire!

GREAT muppet movie! i am a huge muppet fan and ive seen every episode of the show, but this was great! approprate for all ages!
Kid, 8 years old July 5, 2015

Great disney for all.

My rating:G
Teen, 17 years old Written byChristopherGraham October 13, 2014

"The Muppets" by Christopher Graham

A Muppet movie that reaches to high standards with it's heartwarming message, plot, script, and fascinations. This movie is a colorful movie for all Muppet fans. This is good for little ones to watch, if they are not scared of the Muppets that is.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 11, 2012

Just perfect!

THis movie was pretty funny! It's comedy relief! I'm glad The Muppets are back! I love the old show and this movie!
Kid, 11 years old October 1, 2015

The Muppets

This Muppets Reunion film brings back what Muppet fans have been waiting for all of these years.this film delivers the same kind off stuff that previous Muppet films had .Their is a new muppet in this film .
Kid, 10 years old August 26, 2014

good movie

i saw this movie when it came out and i liked it i would recommend it
Kid, 12 years old July 13, 2014
Easily the best Muppets movie yet. It's hilarious, entertaining and has some catchy songs. The song 'Man Or Muppet' was the best song in the film.