All member reviews for The Nightmare Before Christmas

Tim Burton magic with just a touch of scariness.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byTrebuchet May 26, 2011

An annual tradition in our house

This is one of my favorite movies. I don't love everything Tim Burton produces, but this one is charming and the music is great. In particular, I love that failure isn't the end of Jack. There is so much pressure to succeed, and so little about how to pick yourself up and find life after a setback. The religion and holiday topic was not an issue for me, but people who don't celebrate Christmas or who emphasize the religious nature of it might want to view it before sharing it with their kids. Also, it can be a little scary, so if your child frightens easily, wait another year or two.
Kid, 11 years old October 18, 2010

Pretty cool movie!

I LOVED this movie! It had a nice storyline and I love Jack! He's a good role model and means no harm. There was a lot of singing, too. Overall, nice movie to watch on Chrismas or Halloween!
Kid, 10 years old March 29, 2010

Might be O.K. for 5 year old's.

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!! I think it is violent but a mature 6 year old can take it. There is very creepy things when they (defeat) Oogie his cloth is torn off and his body is just a bundle of bugs that might be a bit scary for 6 year old's. Of course all in all it's a very good movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLLorenzen59 October 29, 2010

e.g. An Insperation

I am a 12 year old girl and i just watched this movie for the first time today.At first i thought it was, not only wierd, but also creepy. But throughout the first quarter of the movie I stard to understand the message of it. To me it was telling that you dont always need to go looking for something better. be pleased with what you have. it says that if you really believe in something to go for it, even if you make a few mistakes, there will be atleast one person in this world who loves you and backs you up. I really love this movie because my brother and cousin both comitted suicide this year. it made me think about all of the people that love me and loved them and that i need to never forget that. this movie is an insperation in my life
Kid, 10 years old March 28, 2011

Love This Movie So Much

First off, this is one of THE greatest movies ever! My only concern is it is a little scary for the younger generation.
Parent of a 2, 3, and 8 year old Written byMom0f4Blessings September 15, 2010

Big Tim Burton Fan!!!!

This movie teaches kids how to be themsevles as Jack Skellington learns.It also REALLY stimulates your imagination and creativity which is always a plus.This is MY personal favorite movie with a ton of awesome visuals and catchy music for the kiddos.
Kid, 10 years old August 11, 2010

Read 2 Find out

THIS IS THE BEST THING YOU COULD WATCH!!! All you people that say its scary or bad,you are crazy! I was Sally for halloween. unforgettable music, JACK IS ADORABLE (i called my cat after him ^^)My favorite evr. please see. JACK AND SALLY 4EVER!
Parent of a 17 year old Written byJesusrulz666 July 27, 2010

fine.

Its not that scary, but its mysterious. Has an oscar winning plot in my opinion.
Teen, 14 years old Written byshanno15 March 20, 2010

This is a really good movie, I love that jack and sally end up a couple it's so cute!
Adult Written bydislecksea April 9, 2008

Great movie, but not for younger kids.

For starters - loved the movie. It is a work of art. However, it does have some scary elements and some inappropriate behavior (kidnapping Santa). My 5 year old saw the charaters and wanted to see it, so we sat down and talked about the scary parts and the bad behavior. But when it came time to watch it he did not even make it through the credits before he got scared.
Kid, 11 years old May 26, 2011

A little bit scary but really good, 8+

This movie was really good and thought-provoking. Brilliant story about a skeleton who lives in the Halloween world and travels to the Christmas world. He then tries to bring Christmas to the Halloween world but it doesn't work out. Another masterpiece from Tim Burton.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp March 12, 2011

NO KIDS AT ALL!! Very disturbing, graphic horror sequences.

Suggested MPAA Rating: R for graphic horror sequences and disturbing images throughout. Do not let kids watch, it is actually a movie targeted for adults. Verrrrry disturbing.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byagnechan November 16, 2010

Excellent Movie

"I thought this movie was good because it had lots of mystery. It was also funny and fun to watch", says 8 year old boy.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byNiche March 7, 2010

Perfect for families with dark tastes

Our family loves this movie. Not for all families in its quirky darkness. Fits our family's taste to a tee.
Adult Written byMovie Man December 11, 2009

Fantastic, Fun, Frightening Fable is Not For Under 10.

This is a fine achievement in film making. It is fun, witty, and has a great soundtrack. But, PARENTS: this is a frightening film; there are many scary images of demons and gouls, and one especially scary and gross called the Boogeyman (he's made of bugs). But, other than the creepy tone and some scary images, this should be a fun treat for you and your family (over 10). Thanks for reading - Movie Man
Parent of a 4 and 4 year old Written byandsoitgoes May 31, 2009

This is Halloween!

I never enjoyed this movie as much as I did when watching it alongside my 4-yr old twins. I was iffy on what they'd think about it. I knew there was some questionable subject matter within, the kids were pretty mean, Jack had a few situations where he got pretty nasty towards others and the obvious of Jack getting shot out of the sky and Oogie Boogie shooting at Jack with his contraptions. However, I was willing to risk it, sit with my girls and explain the situation. In the end, it was worth it. I think they appreciated that the kids there were being nasty. That Oogie Boogie was bad, and that Jack was just confused about what he really wanted. I know there are some things they don't FULLY get, but as long as you're willing to sit, explain and stress that there are things inappropriate about the BAD things, there are SO many good things about the movie. The music, the end morals of wanting to be different, better and of course, the love story. Give it a try by yourself. You know your kids the best, and will know if this is right for them. But heck, if you haven't seen it... DO. It's great for adults, too!
Kid, 11 years old March 31, 2009

My fav movie

This is the best movie in the whole entire world!
Parent of a 5 and 17 year old Written bycarcrazygrrl February 17, 2009

A classic

This is my favorite movie. I am a Halloween fanatic and this movie is so well done it is a very good one to see Halloween time of anytime. My 5yr and 17 yr old children love it as well. Good family one to watch and talk about the animation and how far it has come. Watch and enjoy.
Adult Written byandowney April 9, 2008