All member reviews for The Nightmare Before Christmas

Tim Burton magic with just a touch of scariness.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byTrebuchet May 26, 2011

An annual tradition in our house

This is one of my favorite movies. I don't love everything Tim Burton produces, but this one is charming and the music is great. In particular, I love that failure isn't the end of Jack. There is so much pressure to succeed, and so little about how to pick yourself up and find life after a setback. The religion and holiday topic was not an issue for me, but people who don't celebrate Christmas or who emphasize the religious nature of it might want to view it before sharing it with their kids. Also, it can be a little scary, so if your child frightens easily, wait another year or two.
Kid, 11 years old October 18, 2010

Pretty cool movie!

I LOVED this movie! It had a nice storyline and I love Jack! He's a good role model and means no harm. There was a lot of singing, too. Overall, nice movie to watch on Chrismas or Halloween!
Kid, 10 years old March 29, 2010

Might be O.K. for 5 year old's.

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!! I think it is violent but a mature 6 year old can take it. There is very creepy things when they (defeat) Oogie his cloth is torn off and his body is just a bundle of bugs that might be a bit scary for 6 year old's. Of course all in all it's a very good movie.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byCometdogamundo February 20, 2014

A sophisticated and brilliant fable for teenagers and adults

We watched it based on the glowing review here but it was a mistake! Tim Burton is brilliant and the music and art direction are amazing, but this is a very sophisticated story (way over my 8 and 12 year olds heads, even with me pausing and trying to explain) and it is full of extremely disturbing and macabre images (scary monsters under the bed or below the stairs, really freaky Halloweentown residents like the evil Franken-duck and the kid with a hatchet in his head) and concepts (like the fact that the Halloweentown folks can't understand Christmas or what a toy or gift is supposed to be). If you really listen to the words of the songs there is some very graphic and violent content, and the whole kidnapping Santa theme is hugely upsetting -- Jack dispatches three scary goblins to kidnap Santa, and they first return with an obviously petrified pink fuzzy Easter Bunny (this made my 8 year old cry). They return with Santa who is then tortured and writhing with his hands tied above his head by the Boogie Man -- really horrifying stuff! We stuck it out hoping it would get better but it really never does, at least for my kids -- maybe we're too "unicorns and rainbows" but in my book this really is a fable for older teenagers and grown-ups, very sophisticated and edgy and brilliant, not at all for kids (even older ones like mine who is obsessed with every dystopian YA novel out there and very comfortable with vampires and Hunger Games etc.) who still believe in magic and fairies and goodness in the world.
Parent Written bynewmanfamily November 21, 2014

Poor messages for young kids

We watched this with our 7 and 9 year old and turned it off half-way through. The overall feeling of the movie is "laughing at someone else getting beat up". Torturing Santa Claus is just not right for a kid to see and laugh at. We were very surprised to see age 7 as the "green" age for this movie.
Parent of a 2, 3, and 8 year old Written byMom0f4Blessings September 15, 2010

Big Tim Burton Fan!!!!

This movie teaches kids how to be themsevles as Jack Skellington learns.It also REALLY stimulates your imagination and creativity which is always a plus.This is MY personal favorite movie with a ton of awesome visuals and catchy music for the kiddos.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLLorenzen59 October 29, 2010

e.g. An Insperation

I am a 12 year old girl and i just watched this movie for the first time today.At first i thought it was, not only wierd, but also creepy. But throughout the first quarter of the movie I stard to understand the message of it. To me it was telling that you dont always need to go looking for something better. be pleased with what you have. it says that if you really believe in something to go for it, even if you make a few mistakes, there will be atleast one person in this world who loves you and backs you up. I really love this movie because my brother and cousin both comitted suicide this year. it made me think about all of the people that love me and loved them and that i need to never forget that. this movie is an insperation in my life
Kid, 10 years old March 28, 2011

Love This Movie So Much

First off, this is one of THE greatest movies ever! My only concern is it is a little scary for the younger generation.
Adult Written byMovie Man December 11, 2009

Fantastic, Fun, Frightening Fable is Not For Under 10.

This is a fine achievement in film making. It is fun, witty, and has a great soundtrack. But, PARENTS: this is a frightening film; there are many scary images of demons and gouls, and one especially scary and gross called the Boogeyman (he's made of bugs). But, other than the creepy tone and some scary images, this should be a fun treat for you and your family (over 10). Thanks for reading - Movie Man
Adult Written byI_TellTheTruth March 28, 2013

Really cute movie!

I remember kids talking about this movie when I was a little kid, and I always thought, "Why does Tim Burton have to take something as innocent as a child's Christmas movie and turn it into something so creepy and messed up?" My thoughts could not have been more off base. Jack Skellington, the protagonist, is actually very kind-hearted and likeable; all he wants is the chance to bring something as joyous as Christmas to the world becaue he has become bored of bringing the same old frightening Halloween to everyone. He means no harm to Santa Claus; he gleefully tells him that he only "kidnapped" him so he could bring Christmas to the world himself and demands that his people "treat him well". That being said, there are characters in Halloween Town who would like to harm Santa - although he is ultimately unharmed. Some of the characters and creatures in the film could easily frighten the very young or the very sensitive. I don't know if I would have liked it when I was younger but, then again, I was very sensitive. There is no blood in the movie, but toys and dead animals are beheaded, a song includes lyrics about "chopping Santa into bits" (not sung by Jack), characters remove their own limbs or heads or brains, one character is revealed to be made up of millions of insects, and the entire film is dark and a bit creepy. Honestly, though, as long as the audience can handle the "Halloween-ish" content, the plot is adorable and the movie is perfect for watching around Christmas or Halloween time!
Kid, 10 years old August 11, 2010

Read 2 Find out

THIS IS THE BEST THING YOU COULD WATCH!!! All you people that say its scary or bad,you are crazy! I was Sally for halloween. unforgettable music, JACK IS ADORABLE (i called my cat after him ^^)My favorite evr. please see. JACK AND SALLY 4EVER!
Kid, 11 years old March 31, 2009

My fav movie

This is the best movie in the whole entire world!
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byiatoolman September 29, 2014

scary is relative

I don't know what the problems are. Scary is all relative. The grossest part is when the oogy boogy man unzips himself and maggots come out, but since it is all clay, it isn't graphic. Dark themes are not the same as scary. My children have never been scared or had nightmares and love the movie.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bydavidmal770 October 30, 2013

A bit too dark for 7 year olds

I normally agree with CommonSenseMedia but age 7 rating for this movie is off in my opinion.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp March 12, 2011

NO KIDS AT ALL!! Very disturbing, graphic horror sequences.

Suggested MPAA Rating: R for graphic horror sequences and disturbing images throughout. Do not let kids watch, it is actually a movie targeted for adults. Verrrrry disturbing.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byJesusrulz666 July 27, 2010

fine.

Its not that scary, but its mysterious. Has an oscar winning plot in my opinion.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byTmax21 April 17, 2015

Good for teens. Not ok for younger kids.

I watched with my 5 and 8 year olds and really regretted it. It is very macabre, violent and dark. The main characters are dead and have eyes falling out with worms coming out and body parts that fall off. There are scary evil kids who kidnap santa and sing a song about hitting santa with a stick, boiling him alive, and chopping santa into bits. I think it is probably ok for teens. But if there were a way for me to undo my children seeing that I would.
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, and 11 year old Written byAnEpicGuy December 5, 2012

Fun for all as long as you can handle scary

Jack may be freaky, scenes may be creepy, but it's a fun movie for all as long as you arent scared easily.
Teen, 15 years old Written byoceanbby January 31, 2015

Amazing!

This is one of my favorite movies, not scary at all! I don't see why some people say it's for 17+, it just shows creepy characters, and tge two main characters kiss at the end, but it's silhouetted. Also, I know a 5 year-old who watched this without getting scared. Great movie!
Adult Written byandowney April 9, 2008