More sexy stuff than you'd expect for a syrupy romance.

Kid, 11 years old May 17, 2010
The BEST love story EVER... also the saddest... FANTASTIC but prepare a tissue box!! (:
Teen, 13 years old Written bycullenlovato81396 May 16, 2010
Teen, 14 years old Written byMrsOrlandoBloom14 May 4, 2010

e.g. Perfect for romantic girls, but younger children may get bored...

I am a 14 year old girl, and I think this film is amazing. It makes you cry, because you really feel part of the story. It is even better if you have read the book, because you really understand what is going on, but I personally prefered the film anyway...One of my alltime favorites. Younger kids may find it boring, but girls aged 13+ who like a bit of romance will love it...
Adult Written byBernadette5 January 18, 2009

So much for Morals...

I guess in our world of no morals, and I guess some may think I am living in a shell, but I still must say how disappointed I am to think that so many of my daughters 12 year old friends watched this movie and thought it was great. What about all the women who watched it and thought it was great. Is it great to embrace premarital sex let alone premarital sex with someone who is engaged to be married?? The sex scene is so graphic for such young ladies. But then they probably all have seen lots of movies like this. Shame on society for again embracing sin. What are we teaching our young ladies?? I didn't even have to rent this - TV was fine showing all the "good" stuff. This should most certainly be an "R" rated move by commonsense.
Kid, 11 years old March 5, 2011

Perfect for teens who love to cry

Personaly, I loved the book. I read it when I was around the age 10. I'm a more advanced reader and more mature than the majority of my friends. Though the sexual content was a little too heavy in the movie for me. If you would like to show this movie to your 11 year old daughter, tell her to walk out and re-enter during the sexual scene. The movie though was amazing to me! The Notebook will probably make you weep like a little baby :0)
Teen, 17 years old Written byVirginia D. August 12, 2014

Classic Love Story

This is probably one of the most classic and romantic love stories ever. Period. Allie and Noah are depictions of true, real, everlasting, and endless love. Sure, they are flawed and human but they are also good people who try to do the right thing most of the time. This story is beautiful and shows that true, unconditional love can overcome anything. (Another plus, just look at those 1940's era costumes!) However, parents of any children ages 12 and under should be cautioned. This film is rated PG-13 for a reason, the sexual content is very strong, though nothing graphic is shown the love scenes, especially the second one are both lengthy and passionate. There is also very mild war violence, and a very emotional death scene. Overall though, this movie is beautiful and probably alright for any teenagers ages 13 and older.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperman765 April 16, 2011

check out my page for more awesome recommendations

The good stuff * Messages: The movie's ultimate message is that true love conquers all. But there are also less-positive takeaways influenced by the time in which the movie takes place -- people of color are often portrayed as subservient, and both Ali and her mother say: "I am a stupid woman," as though repeating a truism that they have learned. * Role models: Though it's romantic to watch characters fall in love so wholly and stay devoted to each other, some of the choices that the lovers make -- like cheating on a relationship and lying to family members -- don't qualify as role model behavior. What to watch out for * Violence: Noah and Finn are engaged in active duty during World War II. There's a bomb raid that incurs heavy losses. Ali nurses soldiers who have lost limbs. Noah and Ali fight passionately -- so much so that she hits and slaps him. Some poignant deaths. * Sex: Steamy passion between the two young lovers. Lots of making out and heavy petting, and characters undress in front of each other (only their shoulders are shown). A fairly graphic lovemaking scene (again, just shoulders visible, plus a brief glimpse of breast from the side). * Language: Words/phrases used include "d--n," "crap," "godd--mit," "son of a bi-ch," and "pain in the a-s." * Consumerism: Not an issue. * Drinking, drugs, & smoking: A 17-year-old smokes a cigar. Adults drink cocktails, wine, champagne, and beer. Noah goes on a 10-day drinking binge. Characters drink in excess to ease pain or to lessen their inhibitions. Most meals are accompanied by alcohol.
Parent Written byMusic/Movies July 28, 2013

Lots of sex and kissing

Sex: *Allie and Noah begin to passionately kiss in the rain. He lifts her up carries her into the house and pushes her against the wall, still kissing her. They begin to remove clothing and Allie's dress gets removed. As Noah begins to carry her up the stairs you can briefly see her breast. They fall onto the bed, remove the rest of their clothing and start to moan. Allie eventually smiles, implying that she has an orgasm. She and Noah have sex again after their first time, but it is not shown on camera. *Allie and Noah had a makeout session in the car. They are kissing with passion and Allie pulls herself into Noah's lap. Noah's tongue is visible. After Allie says she has to go, Noah tells her not to leave, so she comes back and kisses him some more. *Allie run into Noah's arms and they kiss passionately. He pushes her back on to a wall and holds her face. This scene lasts for about twenty seconds. *Allie runs up to Noah and they start to kiss as he lifts he off the ground. *Noah comes up to Allie when she is playing the piano and starts to kiss her. Noah pushed her back on to the piano. This scene lasts about 40 seconds. *Allie pushes ice cream on Noah's face and lips and then she licks it off and they begin to kiss and flirt. *Noah and Allie get into a fight but he pulls her into a passionate kiss. *Allie and Lon kiss when they get engaged for a few seconds. *Allie and Lon kiss in a restaurant. *Noah and Allie remove all of their clothes and make love on the floor, but they only make love for a moment because Allie gets scared. There is a lot of kissing in this scene. *A couple makeout in a movie theater. --- Violence: *Some people fire guns during a war --- Language: Sh*t, B*tch and Bast*rd --- Drinking; A couple drink one glass of alcohol with responsibility.
Kid, 12 years old February 20, 2013

Sex...

I've seen this movie and I'm 12..but honestly there was a lot of sex. And the girl was engaged at one time, and the other she was just a young teenager. But its such a great romance. If you skip those parts its a great movie to watch!
Teen, 16 years old Written bySummerGaal May 25, 2012

Just, no.

I was very excited to finally be old enough to watch this(I was about 14 or 15 at the time), as my cousins had always built it up to be the 'perfect love story'. And, if the movie had solely shown the characters in their elderly years, I would've liked it a lot better, and maybe even enjoyed it. They didn't, of course, and this has now become one of my least favorite movies of all time. Noah, Allie, and fellow friends are little more than flat, extremely promiscuous characters. It's hard to feel anything for Noah and Allie, or even see that they actually love each other. All I could see was that they wanted to "be with each other". Both love scenes created some very awkward moments for me, as I was stuck with either watching and feeling raped myself, or staring blankly at the floor. I chose the latter. And finally, when the tear-jerking ending came about, I was literally sitting there pinching myself so that I would cry at least a little. I was actually relieved that it was over. In short, breathing through my mouth for two hours would've been a better choice.
Teen, 16 years old Written byOGORMAN May 18, 2012

This romance ties Tristan & Isolde for my favorite love story!

This is no syrupy romance, this is romance at its finest! The language (the little that there is) is only used during funny, meaningful moments and is not senselessly used. There is obviously going to be sexual elements to the film, considering it is centered around Noah and Ali's relationship. I just want to say something, 'heavy petting'? I'm not exactly sure what that entails but it was not in this movie. It sounds like it belongs in an R rated movie... There is two scenes where Noah and Ali are naked and having sex. It is not revealing or over the top at all. Now I NEVER cry while watching movies. Only a few have made me tear up a little (Toy Story 3 and The Help, to name a couple), but this movie made me bawl! It was soooo beautiful and sooooo sad! This movie is amazing and I recommend it to everyone that loves an amazing romance. Comments? Questions? Concerns? Email me: ogormanscommonsense at yahoo
Parent Written bydogslover101 February 11, 2012

The Notebook

This movie is one of my favorite movies but I recommand that this movie shouldnt be watched kids
Teen, 15 years old Written bymovie/gamefan January 14, 2013

The Notebook movie review

The notebook is a film of romance and sweet sweet endings that will make you cry. the films cast ryan gosling and rachal mc adams star as the two love birds who meet each other at a carnival i give it a pause because its actully not meant for teens without covering there eyes but i do recommend it
Teen, 13 years old Written byjjacobs343 January 19, 2011

Good for 12+

Adult Written bycourtneylsaid December 30, 2010

PG-13 says it all. Ages 13 and up!

The Notebook was, perhaps, the best romance film I have ever watched. The acting was incredible, and it did Nicholas Sparks's book justice. After reading the book, I was worried that the movie would not live up to it. I was totally wrong. This movie is rated PG-13 because of it's sexual content. There are a couple of sex scenes, however, there isn't any nudity. There is passionate love-making. At the age of 13, children should know what sex is. I feel that 13 is a mature enough age for children to watch this movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLesMis_Vampette December 10, 2013

AMAZING MOVIE!!!

Two sex scenes, not too strong, however some children may be uncomfortable or awkward during them as they are just a little bit too long for comfort. A 13 year old should be fine with this, and in general it would be perfect for a girlie sleepover or night in. Great acting and emotional movie. LOVED IT!!!
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

Too sexual for a kids film

Too many sexual scenes for a kids film. Also a very sad scene at the end with lots of hard-out arguing in the film. Not for anyone under 15 I think. Also lots of passionate kissing and I think nipples are shown at one point from the girl. The movie is a intense tear jerker and will stir your emotions. Also has adultery scenes which do not send good messages
Teen, 15 years old Written byBishopberry August 15, 2010

Fabulous Love Story

This movie is a sweet depiction of two people from different social classes falling in love. They break up though they are still in love and your heart breaks along with theirs. Then the story becomes about their journey to find someone else they can love or to find each other again. It will make you laugh, cry, and smile. I think this movie is a good watch for almost anyone. I also really like Rachel McAdams.
Parent Written bySarsabecks August 4, 2011

Too steamy for my kids!

I think the sexual scenes in this movie are not appropriate for kids. I don't feel there is a need for kids to see the sex scenes in this movie.
Parent Written bymattbruns3 October 22, 2015

This exceeds the level of PG-13.

This deserves a light R. There is an actual sex scene in it but mild. Suggested MPAA rating: R for sexuality.